BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 29
Link Posted: 7/20/2020 7:41:13 PM EDT
[#1]
Great looking sketter trap!!
Great instructions on the vid!
Have buckets galore & half of everything else..
Gonna have a couple of these before the weeks out!
Thanks for the info.
Link Posted: 8/3/2020 8:31:58 AM EDT
[#2]
Installed a new 2 post lift this weekend! Lots more work to do, but the shop is slowly coming together!

Link Posted: 8/3/2020 8:54:16 AM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 8/3/2020 6:07:54 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 8/3/2020 8:35:55 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By Real_PhillBert:
Installed a new 2 post lift this weekend! Lots more work to do, but the shop is slowly coming together!

https://i.postimg.cc/jqXb30QF/20200801-183735-1.jpg
View Quote

What height is the ceiling to clear that lift?

Also how much concrete below?
Link Posted: 8/3/2020 9:28:40 PM EDT
[#6]
Originally Posted By M4ger:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes

The ceiling is 12ft and the lift is technically 145" but it lands right between the trusses. When we tin the ceiling I'll have to have a little bump up to clear the posts.

This concrete is 12" of 4kpsi concrete under it, bendpak recommends 6" of 4kpsi. Went a little overkill because it didnt add much to the cost to thicken up that area.
Link Posted: 8/4/2020 11:34:45 AM EDT
[#7]

The ceiling is 12ft and the lift is technically 145" but it lands right between the trusses. When we tin the ceiling I'll have to have a little bump up to clear the posts.

This concrete is 12" of 4kpsi concrete under it, bendpak recommends 6" of 4kpsi. Went a little overkill because it didnt add much to the cost to thicken up that area.
View All Quotes

Good copy!  Thank you.
Link Posted: 8/4/2020 2:15:28 PM EDT
[#8]

Good copy!  Thank you.
View Quote

This model is an XPR-10S, which is kind of a middle sized lift, there are some shorter options that are made for 10ft garages, but you really wont be able to walk under those with anything taller than a Lamborghini.
Link Posted: 8/9/2020 7:31:35 PM EDT
[#9]
Got the floor sealed; it's coming along.

I think the tractor tire marks add a bit of style
Link Posted: 8/11/2020 11:40:29 PM EDT
[#10]
Got the floor sealed; it's coming along.

https://i.postimg.cc/hv3FL5VK/Resized-20200805-102217-1.jpg

I think the tractor tire marks add a bit of style
View Quote

Looks beautiful!!    Will you be insulating it?   I imagine you will be.  I heard it gets pretty cold up in ND.  

What about the floor?  Is it heated at all?
Link Posted: 8/12/2020 12:13:56 PM EDT
[#11]
Originally Posted By JustinOK34:

Looks beautiful!!    Will you be insulating it?   I imagine you will be.  I heard it gets pretty cold up in ND.  

View Quote

Thanks for the compliment!

I will be spray foam insulating it once I have all the electrical where I want it, but the floor is not heated. The plan for heat right now is a used motor oil/wood furnace. I don't plan on heating it 24/7 as that would get spendy real quick, only for weekends when I'm planning on doing anything in there.
Link Posted: 8/12/2020 1:15:58 PM EDT
[#12]

I will be spray foam insulating it once I have all the electrical where I want it, but the floor is not heated. The plan for heat right now is a used motor oil/wood furnace. I don't plan on heating it 24/7 as that would get spendy real quick, only for weekends when I'm planning on doing anything in there.
View All Quotes

Why didn't you do radiant heat in the floor?  Just curious as I've got a friend who lives way up north and is planning on going with radiant floor heat in his shop.  I was under the impression it wasn't overly expensive.

Also what's the hatch in the floor?  Gimp dungeon?

Link Posted: 8/14/2020 9:43:31 AM EDT
[#13]
Originally Posted By gman350:

Why didn't you do radiant heat in the floor?  Just curious as I've got a friend who lives way up north and is planning on going with radiant floor heat in his shop.  I was under the impression it wasn't overly expensive.

View All Quotes

In floor heat is the way to go if you want to heat it 24/7 because you've got this giant mass of concrete at 75°, but if you only want to heat for a day or two a week, you have to heat that giant mass of concrete before you start to heat the space, so it's not very agile from that perspective. Since this is not at my residence I really dont want to pay to heat it all the time. The wood/used oil furnaces are much less efficient than in floor heat, but you can turn it on and have a toasty shop in an hour. It all depends on what you want to do.

As for the hatch...

It's an infloor scissor lift that I bought at an auction for $21 like 15 years ago. Finally got it installed when we put the floor in this spring.

Link Posted: 8/17/2020 2:39:05 PM EDT
[Last Edit: gman350] [#14]

In floor heat is the way to go if you want to heat it 24/7 because you've got this giant mass of concrete at 75, but if you only want to heat for a day or two a week, you have to heat that giant mass of concrete before you start to heat the space, so it's not very agile from that perspective. Since this is not at my residence I really dont want to pay to heat it all the time. The wood/used oil furnaces are much less efficient than in floor heat, but you can turn it on and have a toasty shop in an hour. It all depends on what you want to do.

As for the hatch...

https://i.postimg.cc/NFC9tkVY/Resized-20200621-120340.jpg

It's an infloor scissor lift that I bought at an auction for $21 like 15 years ago. Finally got it installed when we put the floor in this spring.

https://i.postimg.cc/yx8g2bLv/Resized-20200621-120510.jpg
View All Quotes

In floor heat is the way to go if you want to heat it 24/7 because you've got this giant mass of concrete at 75, but if you only want to heat for a day or two a week, you have to heat that giant mass of concrete before you start to heat the space, so it's not very agile from that perspective. Since this is not at my residence I really dont want to pay to heat it all the time. The wood/used oil furnaces are much less efficient than in floor heat, but you can turn it on and have a toasty shop in an hour. It all depends on what you want to do.

As for the hatch...

https://i.postimg.cc/NFC9tkVY/Resized-20200621-120340.jpg

https://i.postimg.cc/yx8g2bLv/Resized-20200621-120510.jpg

Yea my buddy had been wanting to keep it heated 24/7.

That's a nice big scissor lift.

ETA and I just realized one of the previous pictures you have your feet up on the lift, I didn't catch that earlier.
Link Posted: 8/18/2020 10:46:44 PM EDT
[#15]

View All Quotes

One of my buddies here in OK is almost done with his shop build and he used spray foam as well.  I'm thinking I might do the same when I build mine.
Link Posted: 8/22/2020 9:58:01 AM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 9/13/2020 11:33:34 AM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 9/13/2020 3:47:29 PM EDT
[Last Edit: HeyCoach] [#18]
It’s not as picture worthy or awesome as what y’all are doing, but this is for my math classroom.

I’m making a football field to put on my wall to show as a number line and that distance cannot be negative.

ETA- I just put down two coats of latex paint in 2” stripes for the sidelines and back of the end zone.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 9/16/2020 6:16:39 PM EDT
[#19]
I wanted a small band saw that had a swivel head for miter cuts.  My space is limited so everything has to be on casters.

The stand that the saw comes with is too low, so I bought a Harbor Freight end chest and made a sub frame for the casters.  

I made the caster mount outrigger style to lower the center of gravity and give it a wider stance.

I made a drip tray out of some 3/16 and made a frame that fits onto the top.  I secured that with rivets.

The best part is seven additional drawers.

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

I didn’t paint the caster mounts yet because I want to add some feed tables that attach to it.
Link Posted: 9/18/2020 10:19:49 PM EDT
[#20]
We are super slow at work so I am glad for some engine workAttachment Attached File
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 9/24/2020 3:16:00 PM EDT
[#21]
Link Posted: 9/27/2020 6:35:06 PM EDT
[#22]
Link Posted: 9/28/2020 2:29:07 PM EDT
[Last Edit: jacobsk] [#23]
Installed the ceiling in the loft of our off-grid property this weekend. It’s been unfinished since the early 80’s and I added insulation in ‘07. Now that the kids are getting old enough to use the space we wanted to make it less “icky” for them.

It’s only 240sqft but the rafters are a 12/12 and it has a gable which needed to be trimmed. Angles are a doozey

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 9/30/2020 4:21:15 PM EDT
[#24]
Originally Posted By jacobsk:
Installed the ceiling in the loft of our off-grid property this weekend. It’s been unfinished since the early 80’s and I added insulation in ‘07. Now that the kids are getting old enough to use the space we wanted to make it less “icky” for them.

It’s only 240sqft but the rafters are a 12/12 and it has a gable which needed to be trimmed. Angles are a doozey

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/116241/D232A4B3-8C83-4F87-BBF0-8333FBCD10BA_jpe-1610831.JPG
https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/116241/3AC277BA-7D0F-4975-B919-83CFAC8A4AEF_jpe-1610835.JPG
View Quote

truth in bold
Link Posted: 10/4/2020 6:55:19 PM EDT
[Last Edit: USSRangerSM] [#25]
Link Posted: 10/4/2020 10:38:51 PM EDT
[#26]
I have a box of 8” tiles I got for free, I’m making trivets with them as gifts.

The tiles were made in Spain.

US made 1/2” plywood base, American cherry frame made of lumber I bought 33 years ago.

Base is rabitted into a dado cut in the frame.

The frames are pinned with corner key dowels.

Link Posted: 10/5/2020 9:05:35 PM EDT
[#27]
Link Posted: 10/14/2020 9:34:29 PM EDT
[#28]
Link Posted: 10/15/2020 10:20:47 AM EDT
[#29]
I built this wood shed today. Anyone have some good tips for rolling the edge of this type of corrugated metal roofing? I've got a few inches of overhang and it's right at eye height for my wife. I need to do something about it.

Link Posted: 10/15/2020 5:06:16 PM EDT
[#30]
Originally Posted By Rigian:
I built this wood shed today. Anyone have some good tips for rolling the edge of this type of corrugated metal roofing? I've got a few inches of overhang and it's right at eye height for my wife. I need to do something about it.

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/514647/141FFEC9-97C0-483E-A8B0-536652FCD9C6-1636858.jpg
View Quote
Stick a gutter on it and collect water for garden/plants?
Link Posted: 10/16/2020 8:59:43 AM EDT
[#31]
Link Posted: 11/17/2020 2:46:29 PM EDT
[#32]
Built a chicken feed auger from pvc pipe & pvc mouldings. No more climbing into the Nasty dusty coop to fill feeders, good riddance!

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 11/17/2020 3:40:22 PM EDT
[#33]
Originally Posted By Rigian:

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/514647/141FFEC9-97C0-483E-A8B0-536652FCD9C6-1636858.jpg
View Quote

Either just roll it over and secure to the frame, or take it off and replace with cheap cedar singles from Home Depot/etc.
Link Posted: 12/9/2020 3:35:10 PM EDT
[Last Edit: USSRangerSM] [#34]
Link Posted: 12/10/2020 2:58:17 AM EDT
[#35]
Originally Posted By USSRangerSM:
Time to install some doors

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/379420/IMG_20201209_130734_580-1722746.jpg
View Quote

MDF casing?
Primed finger joint will last longer with less issues.
I've never seen MDF door casings last a couple years without needing a fix.
Problem area on those is that it doesn't support the hinges very well with use and the quick fix is driving 3 1/2" screw through the casing into the studs to support the door on the hinges.
Link Posted: 12/12/2020 12:05:16 AM EDT
[#36]
Link Posted: 12/14/2020 9:57:00 AM EDT
[#37]
Time to install some doors

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/379420/IMG_20201209_130734_580-1722746.jpg
View Quote
What's up with the band of white at the ceiling?
Link Posted: 12/14/2020 10:32:56 AM EDT
[Last Edit: USSRangerSM] [#38]
Link Posted: 12/20/2020 5:19:54 PM EDT
[#39]
Link Posted: 12/30/2020 8:58:15 AM EDT
[#40]
Who would put doors in without putting screws into the studs?
Ive installed hundreds of doors, and I promise you I will not have issues in a couple of years.

not saying finger joints aren’t better though...But I plan on flipping this house anyways
View Quote

I'm no carpenter, but the (extremely talented) carpenters that I have helped install doors always put at least one long screw into each hinge, regardless of what kind of door I was helping them install.
Link Posted: 12/30/2020 11:10:39 AM EDT
[#41]
Link Posted: 12/30/2020 1:40:28 PM EDT
[#42]
This isn't very exciting but I am installing a new power cord on my 22+ year old DW708.

Paid $250 for it in 2002 when an old boss sold it to me, and now I'm into it for $272.
Link Posted: 1/1/2021 1:30:32 AM EDT
[#43]
Started tearing out terrible cabinets and paneling from new house.

And then I set them alight.

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 1/1/2021 2:36:17 AM EDT
[#44]
Happy new year!

Trimming with a new toy

Link Posted: 1/1/2021 11:13:45 PM EDT
[#45]
One of the most enjoyable aspects of trimming out this house is the ability to use salvaged materials combined with new.

I pulled a good amount of the base molding from a house a few miles away before it was demolished. I had knives for the molding machine cut to match and mill my own to match. It helps when working around grates etc to have fresh material.

Link Posted: 1/2/2021 12:09:13 AM EDT
[#46]
My old 27 gallon, single stage compressor died years ago and I had been using a pancake compressor when I needed air.  Couldn’t do much with it except shoot nails and rivets.  I decided to spend some money on a compressor that handled all my needs.

Delivered on Monday
Attachment Attached File

Today I hooked up the electrical and ran the air lines.
Attachment Attached File

What a difference this compressor makes.
Link Posted: 1/2/2021 7:39:29 PM EDT
[#47]
Today I finished my first woodworking project. Espresso mantle from poplar. It's not perfect and many lessons were learned. I also made a panel from scraps for the gas turn off valve that was put in an awkward spot. They originally had a scrap piece of paneling that used to be in here there before. Ignore the foam. That's going to be covered with trim as soon as I get baseboard in.

Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 1/18/2021 5:06:36 PM EDT
[#48]
Dinky little project, but starting on tile backsplash for our kitchen.

Started off like this...

And ended up like this...

Not very exciting so far, I will start cutting and putting up tile on Wednesday.  There's going to be a lot of blue but our house is almost entirely beige inside and out so we need color...

And I got a new toy to play with...

Link Posted: 1/19/2021 10:51:53 AM EDT
[#49]
Link Posted: 1/19/2021 11:44:58 PM EDT
[#50]

That’s going to look sharp!
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By astrocreep96:
Dinky little project, but starting on tile backsplash for our kitchen.

Started off like this...

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/105138/20210118_121418-1785421.jpg

And ended up like this...

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/105138/20210118_105045-1785422.jpg

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/105138/20210118_110907-1785423.jpg

Not very exciting so far, I will start cutting and putting up tile on Wednesday.  There's going to be a lot of blue but our house is almost entirely beige inside and out so we need color...

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/105138/20210118_140240_20210118140521929-1785434.jpg

And I got a new toy to play with...

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/105138/20210118_140215-1785435.jpg

That’s going to look sharp!

Man I hope.
Page / 29
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top