User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 6
Link Posted: 8/29/2017 1:03:46 AM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

That's what Milley views this as.

7.62 is just the interim caliber until they decide on the end goal caliber. It will be a caliber that does not fit in the AR-15 and will require a new rifle anyways, so get the rifle now and when the caliber is here just get a new barrel and magazines and convert them over....That's the idea at least.
View Quote
Should be in the 5.56 frame and magazine capacities if at all.....and it shouldn't be done at all, IMO...if that wasn't clear already.
Link Posted: 8/29/2017 1:07:47 AM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
Should be in the 5.56 frame and magazine capacities if at all.....and it shouldn't be done at all, IMO...if that wasn't clear already.
View Quote
.264, the most likely caliber to be chosen in the SAAC doesn't fit in the AR-15 platform.
.264 between 5.56(left) and 7.62(right)
Link Posted: 8/29/2017 1:12:38 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
You're still going to spend billions implementing this.
View Quote
If the ICSR is limited issue, as originally stated, I doubt that it would be anywhere near one billion, let alone billions.
If they spend 100 million on ICSRs, and it leads to correcting faults in the CT carbine, it seems to me it'd be worth it.
Link Posted: 8/29/2017 1:15:03 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

If the ICSR is limited issue, as originally stated, I doubt that it would be anywhere near one billion, let alone billions.
If they spend 100 million on ICSRs, and it leads to correcting faults in the CT carbine, it seems to me it'd be worth it.
View Quote
I'm beginning to not hold my breath on the whole entire LSAT idea, I really doubt it will ever happen with the huge push for polymer cased 7.62 and .264 happening instead.

I can picture it now "why would we want CTA when we have lightweight 7.62 polymer cased ammunition in our current rifles?".
Link Posted: 8/29/2017 1:26:15 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
I realize that, but I'm trying to think on the bright side of the ICSR and a 7lb AR-10 would be the best case IMO.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Oh, you're one of those dudes that forgets the ultra majority of rounds hit dirt.

LOL explains a lot.
I realize that, but I'm trying to think on the bright side of the ICSR and a 7lb AR-10 would be the best case IMO.
It would be fucking stupid.
Link Posted: 8/29/2017 1:28:17 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
It would be fucking stupid.
View Quote
It would be better than the SCAR, or a 10lb rifle.

The ICSR is happening, better get the best weapon possible.
Link Posted: 8/29/2017 1:29:20 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

It would be better than the SCAR, or a 10lb rifle.

The ICSR is happening, better get the best weapon possible.
View Quote
That line of thinking got us where we are. Fuck that.
Link Posted: 8/29/2017 1:54:15 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
.264, the most likely caliber to be chosen in the SAAC doesn't fit in the AR-15 platform.
.264 between 5.56(left) and 7.62(right)
View Quote
Why do you say .264 USA is the most likely choice? Because of the smaller case diameter, the ICSR would require a new bolt, and probably new magazines. Would also need new feed mechanisms and links to convert 7.62 MG.

.260 REM or 6.5 CM would be much more logical. Same case diameter as 7.62 NATO, so same bolt and mags can be used. And would fit M13 links for MG use. Only thing needed for conversion of the ICSR and MG is new barrel.

Link Posted: 8/29/2017 2:01:08 AM EDT
[#9]
How will they find a way to make this suit crash at the Paris airshow?
Link Posted: 8/29/2017 2:05:27 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

Why do you say .264 USA is the most likely choice? Because of the smaller case diameter, the ICSR would require a new bolt, and probably new magazines. Would also need new feed mechanisms and links to convert 7.62 MG.

.260 REM or 6.5 CM would be much more logical. Same case diameter as 7.62 NATO, so same bolt and mags can be used. Plus, M13 links would fit, for MGs. Only thing needed for conversion of the ICSR and MG is new barrel.

http://accurateshooter.net/pix/socom6501.jpg
View Quote
Do they have a 6.5CM in polymer cased?

Honestly the SAAC just finished up....what last month. So I'm hoping we get that data soon, I know it involved like 20 rounds between 5.56 and 7.62 in the testing.
Link Posted: 8/29/2017 2:11:56 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Do they have a 6.5CM in polymer cased?
View Quote
I don't see that as important, but I doubt that 6.5 CM poly exists now. However, if it can be made for .264 USA, it can be made for .260 REM or 6.5 CM.
Link Posted: 8/29/2017 4:41:19 AM EDT
[#12]
Does that suit fly in the Iranians stealth gen 7 fighter?
Link Posted: 8/29/2017 8:32:31 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

I believe it was either right at 7lbs or just a hair above 7lbs empty.

Those are the new way forward for the AR-10, everyone is making one. PSA, Adams Arms, Remington, etc.

You can get a AR-10 in the 6.7-7.5lb range. These would be the ideal way to do the ICSR IMO.
http://2323862zru3v2q2fq331fqh87fk.wpengine.netdna-cdn.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/08/Adams_Arms_AA_Patrol_Battle_Rifle_Small_Frame_.308_Win._7.62mm_NATO_Alpha-S_Tactical_AR_Rifle_Carbine_Jeff_Gurwitch_DefenseReview.com_DR_1_small.jpg
View Quote
Funny how the picture shows 4 mags on the plate carrier. Has anyone ever seen someone with 10 7.62 mags on them?
Link Posted: 8/29/2017 8:43:57 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Or we could go back to 19O3A3 Springfields and give our leaders time to train their soldiers to shoot.
View Quote
FIFY

Qualification =/= Proficiency
Link Posted: 8/29/2017 9:29:56 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

Funny how the picture shows 4 mags on the plate carrier. Has anyone ever seen someone with 10 7.62 mags on them?
View Quote
Sadly they will have to learn because a 210 round combat load is being called for here.

Also that's just a random picture I found online.
Link Posted: 8/29/2017 9:36:33 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

Sadly they will have to learn because a 210 round combat load is being called for here.

Also that's just a random picture I found online.
View Quote
Another reason why there's going to be a lot of difficulties with this.  Weight of the ammo is just one factor, there's a considerable jump in bulk, too.  7.62 mags are bigger, with less capacity, so Joe is going to have to cram more, bigger magazines into place on load carriage systems that are already crowded.
Link Posted: 8/29/2017 10:11:56 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Another reason why there's going to be a lot of difficulties with this.  Weight of the ammo is just one factor, there's a considerable jump in bulk, too.  7.62 mags are bigger, with less capacity, so Joe is going to have to cram more, bigger magazines into place on load carriage systems that are already crowded.
View Quote
Sadly it is something that will have to be figured out.
Link Posted: 8/29/2017 10:36:58 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

Yes and the money spent on M855A1 is being put into the M80A1 for the ICSR, so it's not a total loss as M855A1 led to M80A1. Also now NATICK has the new XM1158 ADVAP.
View Quote
There are more numbers and acronyms in this post than real words. Real military-speak.
Link Posted: 8/29/2017 10:42:54 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

There are more numbers and acronyms in this post than real words. Real military-speak.
View Quote
Well the money spent to develop this.

Led to this, which will be the standard general issue ball round for the Interim Combat Service Rifle.

And now Natick has developed a new Advanced Armor Piercing round called the XM1158 that will be used in conjunction with M80A1 in the Interim Combat Service Rifle.
Link Posted: 8/29/2017 11:18:41 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Article is RETARDED.

in 10 to 15 years we will be fighting with autonomous drones both land and air.

Why put a person in Harms way..... we really don't need to now.

We just need to field the current technology level.
View Quote
We'll call it Skynet.  It will be glorious!  I think I saw a documentary on it a while ago...
Link Posted: 8/29/2017 12:34:33 PM EDT
[#21]
Da. But is Russian, so look cool but not work. Spill Vodka on armor and short system electric. I am joke no, Komrade.
Link Posted: 8/29/2017 1:38:21 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
How will they find a way to make this suit crash at the Paris airshow?
View Quote
Looking for the bright side, I see.  
Link Posted: 8/29/2017 3:00:30 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Oh bullshit...
View Quote
Yep.  And total bullshit at that.  

No way in the gates of Hell do the russians have technology anywhere close to that.
Link Posted: 8/29/2017 3:07:09 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

Yep. And total bullshit at that.

No way in the gates of Hell do the russians have technology anywhere close to that.
View Quote
You know it, I know it, we all know it.

But that ain't gonna stop the retard rally from commencing. 
Link Posted: 8/29/2017 3:12:22 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yep. And total bullshit at that.

This is it. We have to watch it, pay for it, and let them fail with no repercussions. The American way...
Link Posted: 8/29/2017 3:49:49 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

This is it. We have to watch it, pay for it, and let them fail with no repercussions. The American way...
View Quote
Yep.

Embrace the ICSR because everyone will be carrying it one day.
Link Posted: 8/29/2017 4:02:04 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
View Quote
I've seen a few photos of soldiers in Afghanistan with what appeared to be 6-8 mags. Haven't seen any pics with 10 mags.
Link Posted: 8/29/2017 4:05:01 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I expect that 210-rd basic load will be revised downward, once they see it isn't feasible.
Link Posted: 8/29/2017 4:08:27 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
I expect that 210-rd basic load will be revised downward, once they see it isn't feasible.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Are you suggesting the Big Army will downgrade weight after realizing it decreases mobility?

Link Posted: 8/29/2017 4:12:01 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

View Quote
Maybe, however it'll likely become 8 mag loads.

They may even want 25 round mags

Which would be 160-200 rounds.

Thats if they revise the combat load.
Link Posted: 8/29/2017 4:15:54 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
Are you suggesting the Big Army will downgrade weight after realizing it decreases mobility?
View Quote
No, I'm suggesting the Big Army will downgrade the number of rounds carried after realizing there isn't enough "real estate" on the torso to stow the requisite number of magazines.
Link Posted: 8/29/2017 4:22:12 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
With body armor and all, I'm not sure that 8 mags is truly feasible.
Is there any doubt that 25-rd mags would be preferred over 20-rd?
Link Posted: 8/29/2017 4:23:58 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
LOL!  Riiight...

I would be more inclined to believe that the Army CoS fears not getting a sweet job after retirement with a big weapons manufacturer.
View Quote
Goddam common sense

How are we expected to have a proper purse swinging blue whistler with all this damned reasonableness and clear thinking?
Link Posted: 8/29/2017 4:32:34 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
No, I'm suggesting the Big Army will downgrade the number of rounds carried after realizing there isn't enough "real estate" on the torso to stow the requisite number of magazines.
View Quote
And I'm saying they wont, because that requires losing firepower, which we're reliant on for TTPs, just over an issue of lack of comfort. They wont downgrade shit, that requires revamping not only basic load plans but all infantry related TTPs, suddenly MCOA brass are going to have to ask each other "Can we even execute Battle Drill ___ with only ___ amount of rounds? Shit...we're going to need to re-write all this crap" (while pointing at a wall of manuals covering modern dismounted operations). All Army doctrine would need to be redesigned to support the limited combat load, which means about 15-20 years worth of arguing before the new manuals are agreed upon, printed out, disseminated, taught, and implemented.  

None of this would happen without Congress literally getting involved and pressuring or ordering the Army to unfuck itself, which was the impetus for most of the major positive reforms the Army did in the last 16 years (MRAPs, more body armor, better camo, plate carriers and lighter equipment for Afghanistan, M4PIP, etc).
Link Posted: 8/29/2017 4:36:17 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
What if we were to take something like the M1, and rechamber it for 7.62 NATO?

Maybe tweak the gas system some and make it use detachable magazines, make it select-fire even.

I think that could be a real winner.
View Quote
You could be on to something there.  Nevah been done befo.
Link Posted: 8/30/2017 3:11:01 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
Most likely.

Who knows We could all be wrong and the ICSR could be the best thing since sliced bread.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I wonder if this thread was how people looked at the ar platform when it first popped up. Time will tell, I suppose.
Most likely.

Who knows We could all be wrong and the ICSR could be the best thing since sliced bread.
Possible.

But the trend since the adoption of smokeless powder has been shorter and lighter, with regard to both cartridges and rifles.
This goes against the trend (like NATO issuing battle rifles).

I wonder how viable it would be to issue carbines chambered in a MARS-like cartridge and SAWs/LMGs/DMRs chambered in something similar to 6.5G (or slightly larger).
Link Posted: 8/30/2017 3:41:34 PM EDT
[#37]
I'm not privy to all the info they're using to make this decision, but I'm not sure I agree.

Assuming the threat is improved body armor, I see two ways to defeat it: go through it, or go around it.
I think that improved explosive/fragmentation weapons pushed down to the individual soldier would be more effective against armored (and unarmored) enemies.

I'm not sure what form these would take, maybe an improved xm25 style weapon, maybe more widespread (and improved) use of 40mm munitions, combinations thereof, or something else entirely.  Thermobaric munitions would also seriously boost effectiveness in urban and built up areas.

Such a weapon doesn't need to kill the enemy outright.  Incapacitating the enemy with blast effects and fragmentation would be the goal.  It doesn't matter if he's alive or not if you delimb him (ala Monty Python's Black Knight).  I'm not aware of any armor system that would really protect the wearer's arms and hands (outside of a bomb suit I suppose, but a guy in one of them isn't particularly effective to start).

M4 or Mk18 type rifles could be loaded with M995 or similar for backup/close fight purposes when slinging explosives is hazardous to friendlies.

Also, fuck the ROE.

This approach would also be beneficial from a skills standpoint.  Marksmanship wouldn't be as critical a skill when "close" is good enough.  More training time can be devoted to PowerPoint/sexual harassment.
Link Posted: 8/30/2017 6:58:30 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
And I'm saying they wont, because that requires losing firepower, which we're reliant on for TTPs, just over an issue of lack of comfort.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
And I'm saying they wont, because that requires losing firepower, which we're reliant on for TTPs, just over an issue of lack of comfort.
Comfort is not the issue. I'm talking about feasible stowage space for the required number of 7.62 mags, which are bulkier than 5.56 mags.

Can 10x20rd or 8x25rd 7.62 mags feasibly be stowed on a rifleman's body in a manner that won't interfere with his functioning in the field?

Link Posted: 8/30/2017 7:13:33 PM EDT
[#39]
Ammo in 6.5 6.8 etc is never going to happen in the military.
Link Posted: 8/30/2017 7:41:38 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

Comfort is not the issue. I'm talking about feasible stowage space for the required number of 7.62 mags, which are bulkier than 5.56 mags.

Can 10x20rd or 8x25rd 7.62 mags feasibly be stowed on a rifleman's body in a manner that won't interfere with his functioning in the field?

https://www.army.mil/e2/c/images/2015/03/30/387497/original.jpg

http://www.thefirearmblog.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2015/08/dvSQXLt.jpg
View Quote
On body, does that include on the PC's rear or in a pack?

Could have another 1 or 2 mag pouches on the cummberbunds (relocating current pouches to a battlebelt), and/or on a battlebelt.
Link Posted: 8/30/2017 8:56:33 PM EDT
[#41]
So fucking stupid it hurts.
Link Posted: 8/31/2017 10:56:56 AM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

https://www.army.mil/e2/c/images/2015/03/30/387497/original.jpg

http://www.thefirearmblog.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2015/08/dvSQXLt.jpg
View Quote
Yes, they will find a way to make it work. Because, and this is the part you simply don't get. They have to find a way, because to do otherwise means revamping all Army doctrine and it means telling Milley "Sir, what you wanted can't happen."

The Army doesn't do that. When the guy with four stars tells them to enlist and train weak females as infantry, they say "Roger that" and find a way to make it look like it works for the short term. When a four star says to enlist mental defects and then to give them hormone to make it worse, the Army says "Roger that" and makes it happen. They don't challenge. If they did, we WOULDN'T FUCKING HAVE A FUCKING 7.62 BATTLE RIFLE BECAUSE NOBODY WANTED ASIDE FROM ONE FUCKING FOUR STAR GENERAL. But that four star runs the Army, so...

ROGER THAT SIR
Link Posted: 8/31/2017 11:09:15 AM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
Wow, the Russians are as good at fake soldier systems as we are. I am impressed.
View Quote
yup.

It's bullshit.

In 20 years, they may have ONE working prototype. One. The projwct will never have the budget to outfit a single company with that kind of gear, let alone the entire russian military.

Current battery tech means no power source is feasible. Graphene batteries may change that, but those are stil a ways off.
Link Posted: 8/31/2017 11:20:47 AM EDT
[#44]
I can't imagine how hot and heavy that shit would be to wear. And a built in gas mask? Fuck that!
Link Posted: 8/31/2017 11:42:50 AM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
I can't imagine how hot and heavy that shit would be to wear. And a built in gas mask? Fuck that!
View Quote
How do you dip in it? What if you sneeze or puke?
Link Posted: 8/31/2017 12:32:22 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
Da. But is Russian, so look cool but not work. Spill Vodka on armor and short system electric. I am joke no, Komrade.
View Quote
Ratnik 3 body armor wouldn't stop M993 or M995 at 300+ yards, so I see absolutely no point in adopting a new weapon. Just issue AP ammo to line units along with M855A1, and use that AP ammo  exclusively in SAW's, M27's and 240's.
Link Posted: 8/31/2017 12:34:43 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
You get to be fucking miserable until you can take it off and clean it.

And good luck with the electronics inside, fuck those up and they'll cut your balls off and sell them to replace the helmet!
Link Posted: 8/31/2017 12:37:09 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
Yes, they will find a way to make it work. Because, and this is the part you simply don't get. They have to find a way, because to do otherwise means revamping all Army doctrine and it means telling Milley "Sir, what you wanted can't happen."
The Army doesn't do that. When the guy with four stars tells them to enlist and train weak females as infantry, they say "Roger that" and find a way to make it look like it works for the short term.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
The Army doesn't do that. When the guy with four stars tells them to enlist and train weak females as infantry, they say "Roger that" and find a way to make it look like it works for the short term.
I didn't ask if they could "find a way to make it look like it works for the short term." I'm sure that could be done.

The question is, can they find a way to make it actually work for the long term; be viable for combat operations?
Link Posted: 8/31/2017 12:55:48 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
I didn't ask if they could "find a way to make it look like it works for the short term." I'm sure that could be done.

The question is, can they find a way to make it actually work for the long term; be viable for combat operations?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

It can be done with 25 round Pmags.

1 in the gun.

4 on plate carrier, two pouches. PITA over 5.56 mags, but doable.

4 on belt, two pouches. Could be dropped down to a thigh rig at user discretion for mounted units. Total of 225 rounds.

Doing the same with 20 round mags would be more difficult, and possibly require triple mag pouches, or necessitate keeping mags on belt, chest and leg.
Link Posted: 8/31/2017 12:58:15 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

View Quote
They will add bulk and weight and will discount comfort, ergonomics, and mobility because they've done that every time this issue has come up in the past. They will not challenge their boss, because then they don't get good OERs.

To acknowledge the issue of bigger and heavier so less means cutting the standard combat load. Which means the first time an Army infantry company runs a basic Battle Drill 1A lane they're going to see time after time squads fucking up when the base of fire fireteam is going to run out of ammo long before the maneuver fireteam gets into place. Then all the people who earlier told them this would happen will want to say, "See? Told you so!", But that means poor OERs and NCOERs. So either redesign all US Army infantry TTPs away from firepower to something else entirely, which means rewriting everything. Or it means adding more double mag pouches, more weight, more bulk, so the problem of running out of ammo doesn't happen again.

The answer is pretty simple, especially since "Too heavy to move" is not a metric that is quantifiable on an OER.
Page / 6
Top Top