Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/1/2005 9:11:16 PM EDT
I have a question settle an arguement between a family member and I. Couldn't find the answer anywhere else. Before the hurricane hit, during the mandatory evac, were people without cars offered free transport out of the city?
Link Posted: 9/1/2005 9:22:24 PM EDT
[#1]
Yes free busses were available for 2 days and they were looked upon as not necessary by the dummies that stayed.
Link Posted: 9/1/2005 9:28:17 PM EDT
[#2]
any sources on this? I'm trying to settle an arguement.
Link Posted: 9/1/2005 9:35:18 PM EDT
[#3]
You could of walked out of NO by the time the hurricane hit.  NO excuse for anyone to still be there.
Link Posted: 9/1/2005 9:38:24 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
any sources on this? I'm trying to settle an arguement.

I saw it on Fox News or CNN or somewhere as I was flipping through.
Link Posted: 9/1/2005 9:44:13 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
You could of walked out of NO by the time the hurricane hit.  NO excuse for anyone to still be there.

+1000

They had 2+ days when the hit was eminent, plus government warnings. That's ample time to get to higher ground....and assistance at that time was plenty.
Link Posted: 9/1/2005 9:45:20 PM EDT
[#6]
I would love to see documentation on the subject too.  Tonight in my MBA class we disussed the situation in NO.  Somebody made mention that the people were told to leave and some did not leave.  

Another person became very defensive and said that the poorest people were hit the hardest and they didn't have cars and the city stopped public transportation before the people could leave.

I find that hard to believe.

If you are told to evacuate go!  Walk if you have to!
Link Posted: 9/1/2005 11:14:47 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

Quoted:

+1000

They had 2+ days when the hit was eminent, plus government warnings. That's ample time to get to higher ground....and assistance at that time was plenty.

Horseshit.

Walk to where?

With childern?

Old and sick people?

There is only one walking route out of NO and that is to the west, to the north and east you have miles of bridges. If people had been stupid enough to walk they would have been in the open when the storm hit.

25% of the people in the city don't drive. There were not enough buses avaliable to take out one tenth of the people that were in the city.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top