Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 6/7/2002 12:55:11 PM EDT
Damn, it's been along time since I had to do this.

I was pretty relaxed overall.  It was kinda wierd being interviewed by two guys younger than me, I guess I am going to have to get used to that[:(].

It was a job in the computing field and they asked some though questions at the end.  For example:

What is the 7 layer OSI model?

How can you improve a modems performance?

What is the maximum file leanght for Windows and Novell?

and on and on.......

I think I did okay as I remained pretty relaxed and calm over all.  I was deffinitely one of the better dressed applicants there. But it sure is differant looking for work when you are older.

Sgtar15

PS If you have a job for me please e-mail at above address....thank you
Link Posted: 6/7/2002 1:05:00 PM EDT
[#1]
You may want to add what area you live in or are looking to work in. Your location USA and thats a little vague.
Link Posted: 6/7/2002 1:25:05 PM EDT
[#2]
OSI 7 layer: Please do not throw sausage pizza away:

1. Physical

2. Data Link

3. Network

4. Transmit

5. Session

6. Presentation

7. Application

It is in referance to what occurs in a network situation.

Sgtar15

Link Posted: 6/7/2002 1:25:26 PM EDT
[#3]
OSI

Application
Presentation
Session
Transport
Network
Data Link
Physical

Av.

Edit: Drat! Beat by 20 secs!
Link Posted: 6/7/2002 1:39:23 PM EDT
[#4]
Avalon, if it helps I had to look up presentation[:)]

Sgtar15
Link Posted: 6/7/2002 1:44:42 PM EDT
[#5]
Well, I hope things go well for you.

I too recently went to a few different interviews, and got the job I was looking for.  It is nice to hop back into the consulting market after 6months from the previous layoffs.

It paid in the end, things are now looking better.  Computers are where the money is at.  This year I will clear 126,400. =)
Link Posted: 6/7/2002 1:51:24 PM EDT
[#6]
Good luck!  

We moved to WA in Nov. and I haven't had an interview yet.  I knew the job market up here was not good, but I seriously overestimated.  
Link Posted: 6/7/2002 1:52:54 PM EDT
[#7]
sgtar15,
Good luck on your quest finding decent work.
In my early 20's my VA rep out of Martinez found me work like my life depended on it and it was his job to help.He made a large improvement in my life and I can't say enough good things about Mr. Bell.
Just before I started working for myself I was out of work,down on my luck and while even ending a substance abuse problem I took a few weeks off,cleared my head, re-avaluated (sp?) myself and made a plan that has brought my family and I to a new level.
From reading your posts I have no doubt that you will do fine.
Good luck.
Andy
Link Posted: 6/7/2002 3:56:01 PM EDT
[#8]
ChuckT, is the market better elsewhere??  I've had two interviews in the last year, neither of which went anywhere.  I'm rapidly running out of time and options.
Link Posted: 6/7/2002 4:10:55 PM EDT
[#9]
OSI, yuck.  

What layer does a Cisco 6509 catalyst run at.  What layer does Doom use. What layer of cake will I eat first...
Link Posted: 6/7/2002 4:41:08 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
ChuckT, is the market better elsewhere??  I've had two interviews in the last year, neither of which went anywhere.  I'm rapidly running out of time and options.
View Quote

For what I do, it's better in TX.  If we had stayed I would most likely already be working.  I work in a very special niche of the computer world.  That said, with approx. 70 companies in Seattle/Portland area that use this product, I would have at least expected an intereview by now.  Three years ago I could have moved here and been working within 3 weeks.  

Good luck on your search.  If I'm not working by this time next year, I too will be out of options.  It's not a pleasant thought.  
Link Posted: 6/7/2002 7:16:21 PM EDT
[#11]
I'm surprised he didn't ask which software/hardware vendors actually implement the OSI model in seven distinct layers. Anyone know the answer to that?
Link Posted: 6/11/2002 3:55:20 PM EDT
[#12]
Didn't the first OSI model come from IBM, and I'm guessing the current 7 layer model came from an early router vender like Wellfleet.

Larry
Link Posted: 6/11/2002 4:10:02 PM EDT
[#13]

Good luck [b]sgtar15[/b]!

If you felt relaxed - that's half the battle.

Link Posted: 6/11/2002 4:22:13 PM EDT
[#14]
Good luck from me as well.

Mac has a great point in that if you look relaxed, then you also appear confident.

Answering the questions correctly was probably a bonus too. [smiley]
Top Top