Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 6/29/2015 4:15:44 PM EDT
There was a medium sized bird stuck behind the fireplace insert, heard it chirping after we got done with a large backyard bbq party and started to relax later that night.

The screws I needed to remove the inserts bordering were rusted solid so I drilled them out and removed the bordering and the bird jumped out from behind there after a few minutes and just stared at me from my living room floor, it was freaking hilarious.

I let him outside in the middle of my backyard and it ran over to a beverage table we had set right by the back door and tucked it face into one of its wings and slept, it was still there when I went to bed and was gone when I woke up. It was not scared of me at all and I could touch him if I wanted to, I saved his life! Heh

Needless to say I need a chimney cap as our backyard seems to attract alot birds and this was bound to happen.
Anything wrong with the chimney caps at home depot/lowes? They seem to be about $40-$60.

I called a chimney sweep to inquire about getting it swept out after this ordeal and when I asked about a cap he said $140 at minimum which seems high vs. a home depot/lowes one, wasnt sure if there was something I should know about a store bought cap vs. one provided by chimney sweep?

Link Posted: 6/29/2015 4:21:08 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 6/29/2015 6:44:08 PM EDT
[#2]
When you look at chimney caps avoid the the ones with little slits and small spaces for smoke to escape.  

You might think good, nothing can nest in them, but the reality is they get closed up with creosote quicker and at the worse time to have to go up on the roof and deal with it.
Link Posted: 6/29/2015 9:49:35 PM EDT
[#3]
Found this guy in our stove a few years ago, I capped it the next day.
Link Posted: 6/29/2015 9:52:24 PM EDT
[#4]

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Found this guy in our stove a few years ago, I capped it the next day.

http://i171.photobucket.com/albums/u318/chadjetlag/coyote032.jpg
View Quote
He was having a hoot!

Link Posted: 6/29/2015 10:00:02 PM EDT
[#5]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top