Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 1/19/2022 2:19:00 AM EDT
[#1]
Well let's play chess.
Link Posted: 1/19/2022 2:24:29 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

So when inflation is 7%+ and cost of living increases are more the landlord is a pig for raising the rent 5%???
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Everyone is greedy, the difference is he is a pig. A person should know when enough is enough. Also its ultimately going to cost him more, you see in business the pig gets slaughtered. The pig has to get every penny and in that pursuit knows no loyalty or appreciation for the bigger situation. As a landlord if you go full to market every year you will never make what you think because turnover costs a lot of money and you will get a lot more of it.

Its his right, but its short sighted and stupid.

So when inflation is 7%+ and cost of living increases are more the landlord is a pig for raising the rent 5%???

I said 20%
Link Posted: 1/19/2022 2:51:39 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

Did you ever ask for a rent decrease? Or, at least, not an increase?

I did, and I think it paid off. I hear you though-

Try telling him the story. His reply can't make things worse, I don't think.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I never paid late throughout all this shit nor caused a bit of hassle my landlord raised me 20%. Greedy pig. Good luck to him finding a better tennant.

Its his right of course but I hold by the unwritten rule you never raise a great tenant full up to the max of the market, it will cost the owner more in vacancy or the gamble of getting a shitty tenant.

Did you ever ask for a rent decrease? Or, at least, not an increase?

I did, and I think it paid off. I hear you though-

Try telling him the story. His reply can't make things worse, I don't think.

Tried a counter offer no dice
Link Posted: 1/19/2022 2:59:33 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

Tried a counter offer no dice
View Quote

It is worth a shot to call his bluff. You already have to leave, if I am reading this right, I am sorry to say. [nothing to lose]. Are you moving, or eating the increase? You need to decide and then stick by your guns.
Link Posted: 1/19/2022 3:01:27 AM EDT
[#5]
You pay $3200 a month in rent?
Link Posted: 1/19/2022 3:01:39 AM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 1/19/2022 3:08:28 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
You pay $3200 a month in rent?
View Quote

Is my math that bad?

It is possible. I just Google shit and go with it.

ETA: Fuck no. Not even close. Under $1900. Maybe that doesn’t help, either, and for a flat in San Jose, it is embarrasing.

Link Posted: 1/19/2022 5:05:17 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

It is worth a shot to call his bluff. You already have to leave, if I am reading this right, I am sorry to say. [nothing to lose]. Are you moving, or eating the increase? You need to decide and then stick by your guns.
View Quote

Meh, I'm out. Not eating it.
Link Posted: 1/19/2022 6:35:04 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

Except, I am not currently a homeowner. My costs are going up at a much lower rate, but I feel for the homeowner..

I think they say, Cash is King, and I am waiting for the crash to buy back in.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Ah I am not alone in this I see  

Except, I am not currently a homeowner. My costs are going up at a much lower rate, but I feel for the homeowner..

I think they say, Cash is King, and I am waiting for the crash to buy back in.

Ah, I hope you strike it rich my friend.
Link Posted: 1/19/2022 7:24:43 AM EDT
[#10]
Thank Mr. Potato head and every damn person that voted for him.
Link Posted: 1/19/2022 7:49:45 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
I am Gen X.  When I first started out 20 some years ago, we had to make serious concessions on things like a wedding and driving crappy cars to work every day too.  We had no TV service for the first 2 years (streaming wasn't a thing) and had a crazy strict budget for food. As in ramen and anything on sale.

Keeping the shitty roof on our shitty tiny starter house over our head was the most important thing then too, and it was a struggle then too.  I remember once for a few months, having to pay the power bill on a credit card...because shit happened that month and there was no other option.

But....it was ours and we worked our asses off to keep it. What you are doing isn't "new".  It's how it works for many people, starting out in life on their own and it has always been that way.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Between boomers buying up all the good houses and fucking up the real estate market for the lower middle class when they got 15-20 years max until they're extinct

And

the stagnant wages and inflated rents.... I wish someone would just bomb us already cause this isn't life

Hopefully me and the soon to be wife can scrape up another $10k for the house pot... these high gas prices are putting a damper on that

We already decided that it doesn't make economic sense to spend money on our wedding... sad shit but a nice house in a great neighborhood is the priority
I am Gen X.  When I first started out 20 some years ago, we had to make serious concessions on things like a wedding and driving crappy cars to work every day too.  We had no TV service for the first 2 years (streaming wasn't a thing) and had a crazy strict budget for food. As in ramen and anything on sale.

Keeping the shitty roof on our shitty tiny starter house over our head was the most important thing then too, and it was a struggle then too.  I remember once for a few months, having to pay the power bill on a credit card...because shit happened that month and there was no other option.

But....it was ours and we worked our asses off to keep it. What you are doing isn't "new".  It's how it works for many people, starting out in life on their own and it has always been that way.

It’s also worth mentioning that while the inflation sucks, the job market will probably never again be as good as it is right now. That won’t last, so you should maximize what you can get now.

We’ve been offering 2x OT for a long time, something I’ve never seen before, and it’s a really small percentage of people who take advantage of it.
Link Posted: 1/19/2022 1:37:42 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
I hear some are saying "Rent is theft"
View Quote

Yeah, because leasing a roof over your head isn’t a transaction, right?
Link Posted: 1/19/2022 2:00:07 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
And to think people thought I was stupid for leaving a rental in Portland for home ownership in Detroit.

But seriously, my taxes are going up. My salary didn’t.
View Quote

Is your next lateral move going to be an apartment in Chicago?
Link Posted: 1/19/2022 2:05:58 PM EDT
[#14]
Rent is for the poors.
Link Posted: 1/19/2022 2:06:45 PM EDT
[#15]
I got zero least year. This year I got about 3.5%. Seems pretty good to me.

Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top