Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 3/10/2002 11:52:22 AM EDT
Can anybody help me regarding welding two aluminum pipes together please?

The pipes are about 1/2 in. in diameter and 1/20 in. thick. I can provide pictures if needed.

The pipes are the exost manifold and the mufler from an R/C 1/8 monster truck.

My e-mail is [email protected]
Link Posted: 3/10/2002 12:42:04 PM EDT
[#1]

Go get it Mig welded at a welding shop...  It's
probably to thin for Tig...
Link Posted: 3/10/2002 12:55:58 PM EDT
[#2]
that thin is gonna be more like a jewelry job then a welding job

what about swaging a sleave?
Link Posted: 3/10/2002 1:41:13 PM EDT
[#3]
It can be "soldered" with a propane torch using correct type of flux and solder. Look around at the home center or hardware store in the vicinity of the propane torches for the stuff made for aluminum.

Practice first on some scrap aluminum of a similar thickness first. It's pretty easy to melt your parts if you're not careful.
Link Posted: 3/10/2002 2:52:47 PM EDT
[#4]
Hmmmm, exhaust manifold for a alcohol fueled RC engine.
I would think that it gets WAAAAAYY too hot to solder or braze it.
MIG welding is the ticket.  A job that small shouldn't cost much.  Just look in the phone book.
My brother in law is a welder, does all types.  It's handy to have one in the family!!
Link Posted: 3/10/2002 3:03:00 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 3/10/2002 3:51:44 PM EDT
[#6]
Don't do it!!!!!

Sorry, I thought you said "Wedding advice"
Link Posted: 3/10/2002 4:08:35 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 3/10/2002 5:25:23 PM EDT
[#8]
OKay....
what is MIG and TIG???
[img]http://home.earthlink.net/~dalecon/_uimages/pipe.jpg[/img]
Link Posted: 3/10/2002 5:44:10 PM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 3/10/2002 10:01:12 PM EDT
[#10]
You will probably find that TIG is the easiest for tubing and will give excellent results, but a lot of the aircraft techs still like to use an oxy-acetylene torch. They use a specialized torch and special flux. Check out www.tinmantech.com
Link Posted: 3/10/2002 11:18:26 PM EDT
[#11]
Try this site, look for the aluminum kit, I never used it so I can't vouch for the product but it may serve your purpose.[url]www.solder-it.com/solderpaste.asp[/url]
Link Posted: 3/11/2002 1:29:02 AM EDT
[#12]
SHEEEEEEEEEET! That aint no big thang. Anybody that claims to be a welder and can't weld that better duck his head and get his ass off the job. Worse comes to worse mail that mofo to me. I'll tighten you up bro.!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top