Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 4
Link Posted: 7/27/2022 12:11:11 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Either that or he knows something in his "theory of everything" may allow gravity manipulation.

I would fund both myself
View Quote

I've listened to his presentations on geometric unity several times. Again I think there are some flaws in his thought processes.

My biggest problem with gravity manipulation as a concept is the risk of a condition called false vacuum or vacuum decay. Something that if unleashed could completely unwind the universe as we know it.

On a more practical level. In fiction when they have gravity manipulation it's usually just used to create spaceships with artificial gravity. If a civilization has the ability to manipulate gravity and only uses it for that. It would be a bit like using electricity strictly to run fans.

Back to the subject at hand. Our civilization has a lot of problems. But most of them go away if we have abundant cheap energy. Fortunately we have sources. Nuclear fission and space based large scale solar are our best options at the moment. When we have the infrastructure for large scale space based solar we will be a good part of the way to becoming a Kardeshev 2 civilization. But before we get there we are probably going to have to kill a whole lot of people because a significant portion of the current population isn't interested in becoming a Kardeshev 2 civilization. They want technologically advanced civilization to die or at least collapse into a clean, green environmentally friendly feudal knightmare.

So those people will have to be accommodated.
Link Posted: 7/27/2022 2:45:03 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:

Skipping the 5+ years of cool down time in the pool?
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
The equipment, human expertise, and processes to retrieve spent fuel from a reactor, examine it, cut it up and place it in DRY storage exists and is done every day.

Skipping the 5+ years of cool down time in the pool?

Doesn't take 5 years, not even close. Dry storage can be done MUCH faster than that
Link Posted: 7/27/2022 2:55:02 PM EDT
[#3]
How much solar with battery would it take to keep the pumps running?
Link Posted: 7/27/2022 2:55:41 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Ok, so transport them to the ocean and dump them in a few thousand feet of water.

View Quote

That would seem like the best place right? You'll never have to worry about the oceans going away for billions of years.
Link Posted: 7/27/2022 2:56:31 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
https://unherd.com/2021/07/how-the-sun-could-wipe-us-out/
he world began to end on 12th May 2024, though another 309 years would pass before our species finally went extinct. The apocalypse was not the result of one thing, unless that one thing was that we repeatedly ignored signs that industrial civilization had become increasingly fragile, even as it grew ever more powerful. But our end very definitely had a trigger. A burst of charged plasma from the sun caused the sudden, simultaneous collapse of numerous electrical grids across the world, setting in motion a cascade of devastating failures from which humanity would never recover.
View Quote

In the initial weeks after the collapse, the military was tasked with a vital mission. Even dormant nuclear reactors — and their spent fuel pools — need to have cold water circulated through them constantly to prevent reactor meltdowns and devastating fuel-pool fires. Regulations required that each complex have a week’s worth of backup diesel generator fuel on hand. Many had four times that amount, but none had planned for a blackout that would last a year or more, and that is what they were facing in the best-case scenario. It fell to the Army to make sure these backup diesel generators and pumps never failed or ran dry. For six months, they accomplished that mission across all the affected reactors, with one exception.
View Quote

Stealth edit to add last paragraph quote.
Basically, a solar flair takes down the grid for an extended amount of time and maintenance of fuel pools becomes an increasing liability.  

Is there anyway to mitigate this threat? I work in nuclear and believe it is the best way to make "green" energy, but I heard this on the Dark Horse podcast the other day and I can't think my way around it. Every single nuclear fuel pool, left unmanaged for even a short period turns into a tier 1 nuclear disaster. Nothing fails safe, it fails quite poorly.

There are at least 60 spent fuel pools here in the states.

View Quote

Dump them down into the Marianas Trench.

Really.
Link Posted: 7/27/2022 3:20:17 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Having worked PWR refuels for a few years...

I'm under the impression that post Fukishima, they all have dumb looking tsunami proof domes on site, filled with portable equipment enough to bring rescue systems online.  That includes plants like Oconee SC that are NOWHERE NEAR an ocean.  Stuff like tractors, generators, pumps, etc.  

That particular plant also has a hydro dam near by as the "grid goes down" backup source for emergency cooling needs, should they have to shut all three units down.  Other plants have diesels to support these functions.

The idea is redundancy.
View Quote

The V.C. Sumner plant in Jenkinsville, SC is built below a big reservoir. Hard to imagine them having any trouble either.

60 pools sounds like a lot of failure points but it's probably a much smaller number that would require extraordinary measures before the material cooled down.
Link Posted: 7/27/2022 3:20:19 PM EDT
[#7]
Natural evaporation is sufficient to keep spent fuel pools cool. All you need is a hose to keep the water topped off.

If there was a global electrical blackout, spent fuel pools would be far, far, far, far, far down the list of things to worry about.
Link Posted: 7/27/2022 3:34:02 PM EDT
[#8]
So what happens if the transfer method breaks between the reactor and the pool and you can't get the rods into the pool?
Link Posted: 7/27/2022 3:47:31 PM EDT
[#9]
if they start to go dry, put more water in.  If they boil it off, put more water in.  Put more water in.

I'm serious. It's that simple.

or contact Sam Brinton for deets.
Link Posted: 7/27/2022 4:00:26 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
So what happens if the transfer method breaks between the reactor and the pool and you can't get the rods into the pool?
View Quote

While that may cause some headache, the rods are submerged the entire time, so not much would happen. The pool (at least at my plant) is directly adjacent to the reactor vessel. It all gets flooded with the same water and a gate gets opened between the two for the transfer
Link Posted: 7/27/2022 4:03:09 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

View Quote

lol...

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-10520757/Biden-taps-non-binary-drag-queen-look-nuclear-waste.html
Link Posted: 7/27/2022 4:11:10 PM EDT
[#12]
One of many problems about “ throw it in the ocean” is there’s nothing to stop the possible chain reaction within a fuel assembly (a neutron absorber). An old dry assembly won’t go critical, a submerged one can. So each assembly would end up as it’s own low power reactor. In most reactors that absorber is boron. SF pool water provides three functions: maintain a subcritical chemistry, cool decay heat generated, and neutron shielding for personal.

Then there is corrosion that would eventually cause assemblies to break open, allowing broken fuel pellets to possibly release hot particles into the ocean currents.

If in a pool that is just evaporating adding fresh water is no big deal because boron doesn’t evaporate. But if pool water goes away due to leakage then with gallon loss then added to, boron gets diluted and fuel assemblies get closer to critically. Actually no water on an assembly is better than water with no neutron absorber IF that assembly has been out of the core for some period of time, criticality and heat wise. But radiation would be lethal without concrete shielding.

Edit: another factor in SF pool design is geometric configuration of the fuel racks. Originally for most plants there was calculated spacing between stored fuel assemblies to prevent a critical mass. As power plants got life extensions, and reprocessing fuel was out of the question, companies went to high density fuel racks, with sheets of boron carbide sandwiched within each storage cell of the racks. When it was discovered that the boron carbide degraded over time, then companies had to be creative with shuffling fuel into different areas of storage pools based on fuel cycle burnup of each assembly. An assembly is typically considered ‘burned up’ after three complete fuel cycles, based on that particular power plant design. So ‘midlife’ assemblies can still go critical under the right conditions.

https://www.nuclear-power.com/nuclear-power-plant/nuclear-fuel/spent-fuel/radioactivity-and-decay-heat-of-spent-nuclear-fuel/#:~:text=Spent%20Fuel%20Decay%20Heat%20When%20a%20reactor%20is,after%20shutdown%20is%20referred%20to%20as%20decay%20heat.

Link Posted: 7/27/2022 4:30:46 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
One of many problems about “ throw it in the ocean” is there’s nothing to stop the possible chain reaction within a fuel assembly (a neutron absorber). So each assembly would end up as it’s own low power reactor. In most reactors that absorber is boron. SF pool water provides three functions: maintain a subcritical chemistry, cool decay heat generated, and neutron shielding for personal.

If in a pool that is just evaporating adding fresh water is no big deal because boron doesn’t evaporate. But if pool water goes away due to leakage then with gallon loss then added to, fuel assemblies get closer to critically. Actually no water on an assembly is better than water with no neutron absorber IF that assembly has been out of the core for some period of time, criticality and heat wise. But radiation would be lethal without concrete shielding.

View Quote

This is wrong on multiple fronts. Firstly, spent fuel can never sustain a chain reaction on its own. It does not contain sufficient U-235/Pu-239 (for low enriched uranium commercial reactors). Only fresh fuel can. I don't expect anyone would be chucking brand new fresh fuel into the ocean. Secondly, spent fuel pools are specifically designed so that that fuel in unborated water can not be critical. There would have to be multiple things go wrong for that to happen.
Link Posted: 7/27/2022 4:35:29 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
View Quote

The reactor has its own system to circulate water and remove heat from the fuel in the vessel while shut down and open, it can remain there indefinitely.
Link Posted: 7/27/2022 4:39:21 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
View Quote

You leave them in the reactor - you just can't refuel and eventually you can't use the reactor because it doesn't produce enough heat.
Link Posted: 7/27/2022 4:44:50 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

He reminds me of this NRC resident we had once that would come up with all kinds of cockamamie scenarios and accuse us of not being prepared for.
View Quote

He is a very sharp dude. While an old school leftist, he is critical of wokeism. His background in evolutionary biology lends itself, believe it or not, to complex systems analysis.

He may be painting a worst-case scenario, but it's worth thinking about, in much the same sense that an asteroid impact, while unlikely, is worth thinking about.
Link Posted: 7/27/2022 4:45:00 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
if they start to go dry, put more water in.  If they boil it off, put more water in.  Put more water in.

View Quote

But what if global warming means there's no more water? Like anywhere! It just vanishes off the surface of the Earth and we can't get anymore? What do we do then?

Click To View Spoiler
Link Posted: 7/27/2022 4:50:12 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Can we recycle and reuse it, to take us down to only a couple pools? Might make it a little easier.
View Quote

We can, but a Jimmy Carter era regulation forbids this.
Link Posted: 7/27/2022 5:03:58 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

Really.
View Quote

This.  The fish already look like this down there:

Not like a little mutation would be noticed ...
Link Posted: 7/27/2022 5:16:00 PM EDT
[#20]
Seriously.

Drill a 2 mile deep bore hole out in the desert somewhere and drop them down it. Drop them in the Marianna Trench where they will be gone forever. Why do we store them the way we do instead of doing either?
Link Posted: 7/27/2022 5:22:10 PM EDT
[#21]
just work a deal with elon, and a little bit of spent fuel goes on each and every star link satellite.  Just make sure when they hit end of life they reenter the atmosphere over our enemies...
Link Posted: 7/27/2022 6:55:28 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

Doesn't take 5 years, not even close. Dry storage can be done MUCH faster than that
View Quote

That sounds like a gamechanger. Empty pools would solve most of the problem.
Link Posted: 7/27/2022 6:58:43 PM EDT
[#23]
I find it interesting that despite there being experts present, nobody has brought any real numbers to the table. Obviously this issue has been widely studied at least since Fukushima Daichi's reactor 4 spent fuel pool reached equilibrium temp close to boiling on the 3rd day of the accident.

In that case the decay heat was 2.25 megawatts, equilibrium temp was 87 deg Celcius and the water lost to evaporation was 86 metric tons per day. That's two huge tanker trucks every day. Now obviously the need to use a cement pump truck was due to the radiation and hydrogen explosion hazard, in a less extreme station blackout you could pump that with a Harbor Freight gas powered pump from the nearest stream or a pond running it just 2 hours a day. And you would have weeks to dig new ditches to get that water close enough to pump with ordinary small scale pumps.

The scenario that this somehow becomes impossible after a few months doesn't seem reasonable because the decay heat goes down quickly and so does the equilibrium temp and evaporation rate. After 3 months using Fukushima SFP4 numbers that would be 1.5 MW and 83 C, 65 tons per day, 6 months 1.2 MW, 80 C, 43 tons per day. Even at about 2 years it would be 0.5 MW, 70 C and 19 tons.

The pool holds 1425 tons, so you could skip filling it up for a week or so and not have the rods exposed and a zirconium fire start.

If the Federal, state, regional, county and local village idiots are not able to task folks to deal with that long term, I guess they deserve to get a little extra ground shine for a few years in return.

Oh and sources:
Brewster: Evaporation of water at high mass-transfer rates by natural convection air flow with application to spent-fuel pools
Sandia Report SAND2012-6173
Additional Report of the Japanese Government to the IAEA - The accident at TEPCO's Fukushima Nuclear Power Stations - (Second Report)
Link Posted: 7/27/2022 7:00:37 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
he world began to end on 12th May 2024, though another 309 years would pass before our species finally went extinct. The apocalypse was not the result of one thing, unless that one thing was that we repeatedly ignored signs that industrial civilization had become increasingly fragile, even as it grew ever more powerful. But our end very definitely had a trigger. A burst of charged plasma from the sun caused the sudden, simultaneous collapse of numerous electrical grids across the world, setting in motion a cascade of devastating failures from which humanity would never recover.
View Quote

In the initial weeks after the collapse, the military was tasked with a vital mission. Even dormant nuclear reactors — and their spent fuel pools — need to have cold water circulated through them constantly to prevent reactor meltdowns and devastating fuel-pool fires. Regulations required that each complex have a week’s worth of backup diesel generator fuel on hand. Many had four times that amount, but none had planned for a blackout that would last a year or more, and that is what they were facing in the best-case scenario. It fell to the Army to make sure these backup diesel generators and pumps never failed or ran dry. For six months, they accomplished that mission across all the affected reactors, with one exception.
View Quote

Basically, a solar flair takes down the grid for an extended amount of time and maintenance of fuel pools becomes an increasing liability.  

Is there anyway to mitigate this threat? I work in nuclear and believe it is the best way to make "green" energy, but I heard this on the Dark Horse podcast the other day and I can't think my way around it. Every single nuclear fuel pool, left unmanaged for even a short period turns into a tier 1 nuclear disaster. Nothing fails safe, it fails quite poorly.

View Quote

I think the solution is to not store the fuel rods long term in the pools, but envirocunts don't seem to want a solution to that because it requires moving them.
Link Posted: 7/27/2022 7:11:16 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

That sounds like a gamechanger. Empty pools would solve most of the problem.
View Quote
What problem?
Link Posted: 7/27/2022 7:18:58 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

I think the solution is to not store the fuel rods long term in the pools, but envirocunts don't seem to want a solution to that because it requires moving them.
View Quote

Even if we were re-processing, we would probably still use the same 5yr cool off period in the pool before shipping for re-processing that we use for dry cask storage.
New cask designs can cut this by a couple of years.
Link Posted: 7/27/2022 7:20:01 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

They don't get stored in the pool long-term. They go to dry storage, in a separate on-site facility
Link Posted: 7/27/2022 7:22:30 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
I find it interesting that despite there being experts present, nobody has brought any real numbers to the table. Obviously this issue has been widely studied at least since Fukushima Daichi's reactor 4 spent fuel pool reached equilibrium temp close to boiling on the 3rd day of the accident.

In that case the decay heat was 2.25 megawatts, equilibrium temp was 87 deg Celcius and the water lost to evaporation was 86 metric tons per day. That's two huge tanker trucks every day. Now obviously the need to use a cement pump truck was due to the radiation and hydrogen explosion hazard, in a less extreme station blackout you could pump that with a Harbor Freight gas powered pump from the nearest stream or a pond running it just 2 hours a day. And you would have weeks to dig new ditches to get that water close enough to pump with ordinary small scale pumps.

The scenario that this somehow becomes impossible after a few months doesn't seem reasonable because the decay heat goes down quickly and so does the equilibrium temp and evaporation rate. After 3 months using Fukushima SFP4 numbers that would be 1.5 MW and 83 C, 65 tons per day, 6 months 1.2 MW, 80 C, 43 tons per day. Even at about 2 years it would be 0.5 MW, 70 C and 19 tons.

The pool holds 1425 tons, so you could skip filling it up for a week or so and not have the rods exposed and a zirconium fire start.

If the Federal, state, regional, county and local village idiots are not able to task folks to deal with that long term, I guess they deserve to get a little extra ground shine for a few years in return.

Oh and sources:
Brewster: Evaporation of water at high mass-transfer rates by natural convection air flow with application to spent-fuel pools
Sandia Report SAND2012-6173
Additional Report of the Japanese Government to the IAEA - The accident at TEPCO's Fukushima Nuclear Power Stations - (Second Report)
View Quote
But, it needs to be stated that a Spent Fuel Pool is only at that thermal load during outage, so there's less than an 8% chance of that initial condition being met in the first place.  And that 8% is a conservative number because that's basically 1 minus capacity factor.  Only during a fraction of that 8% are the core fuel assemblies (the ones representing 75% of the thermal load) in the SFP.

Regardless, our SFP analyses assume this initial condition.
Link Posted: 7/27/2022 7:25:15 PM EDT
[#29]
I can't embed this video, but this is some b-roll of fuel being loaded in casks for dry storage from my plant.

LinkedIn link
Link Posted: 7/27/2022 7:28:24 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
But, it needs to be stated that a Spent Fuel Pool is only at that thermal load during outage, so there's less than an 8% chance of that initial condition being met in the first place.
View Quote

If you can't cool the SFP with station power, you can't obviously cool the reactor either. To me it doesn't seem to matter at that point where the spent fuel is, when the cooling method would be evaporative cooling of water inventory where they reside.

I guess someone could figure out some convective cooling arrangement that is easier to implement than a commercial gas or diesel fired pump and some fire hose. But that seems to be the maximum effort required (with a week to get a replacement if it fails).
Link Posted: 7/28/2022 10:47:15 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

If you can't cool the SFP with station power, you can't obviously cool the reactor either. To me it doesn't seem to matter at that point where the spent fuel is, when the cooling method would be evaporative cooling of water inventory where they reside.

I guess someone could figure out some convective cooling arrangement that is easier to implement than a commercial gas or diesel fired pump and some fire hose. But that seems to be the maximum effort required (with a week to get a replacement if it fails).
View Quote
but they can shut down the reactor, though keeping it idling might be better because then the pumps can run for the storage pools.  I am not going to worry about it either way, its above my paygrade and understanding.

Link Posted: 7/29/2022 9:26:03 AM EDT
[#32]
Link Posted: 7/29/2022 9:40:26 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
One of many problems about “ throw it in the ocean” is there’s nothing to stop the possible chain reaction within a fuel assembly (a neutron absorber). An old dry assembly won’t go critical, a submerged one can. So each assembly would end up as it’s own low power reactor. In most reactors that absorber is boron. SF pool water provides three functions: maintain a subcritical chemistry, cool decay heat generated, and neutron shielding for personal.

Then there is corrosion that would eventually cause assemblies to break open, allowing broken fuel pellets to possibly release hot particles into the ocean currents.

If in a pool that is just evaporating adding fresh water is no big deal because boron doesn’t evaporate. But if pool water goes away due to leakage then with gallon loss then added to, boron gets diluted and fuel assemblies get closer to critically. Actually no water on an assembly is better than water with no neutron absorber IF that assembly has been out of the core for some period of time, criticality and heat wise. But radiation would be lethal without concrete shielding.

Edit: another factor in SF pool design is geometric configuration of the fuel racks. Originally for most plants there was calculated spacing between stored fuel assemblies to prevent a critical mass. As power plants got life extensions, and reprocessing fuel was out of the question, companies went to high density fuel racks, with sheets of boron carbide sandwiched within each storage cell of the racks. When it was discovered that the boron carbide degraded over time, then companies had to be creative with shuffling fuel into different areas of storage pools based on fuel cycle burnup of each assembly. An assembly is typically considered ‘burned up’ after three complete fuel cycles, based on that particular power plant design. So ‘midlife’ assemblies can still go critical under the right conditions.

https://www.nuclear-power.com/nuclear-power-plant/nuclear-fuel/spent-fuel/radioactivity-and-decay-heat-of-spent-nuclear-fuel/#:~:text=Spent%20Fuel%20Decay%20Heat%20When%20a%20reactor%20is,after%20shutdown%20is%20referred%20to%20as%20decay%20heat.

View Quote

Dropping rods from the surface in a mile of water doesn't require they all be dumped in one spot, they can be released in a 25m grid and only a handful will touch each other due to currents on the way down.

Vitrification is what we should be doing.

Kharn
Link Posted: 7/29/2022 9:55:27 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
Bret is a genius that tries to solve every problem. He has a "theory of everything".

Interesting guy. Been on Rogan a bunch.

Never heard him talk about spent nuclear fuel before.
View Quote
And these guys get most of it wrong. Look at AVe's review of the glock 19. Most of the tech guys are like that also. They put together a good YouTube program but whenever they cross into an area I know we'll they get more than I would expect wrong.
Link Posted: 7/29/2022 10:06:58 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

Dropping rods from the surface in a mile of water doesn't require they all be dumped in one spot, they can be released in a 25m grid and only a handful will touch each other due to currents on the way down.

Kharn
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
One of many problems about " throw it in the ocean" is there's nothing to stop the possible chain reaction within a fuel assembly (a neutron absorber). An old dry assembly won't go critical, a submerged one can. So each assembly would end up as it's own low power reactor. In most reactors that absorber is boron. SF pool water provides three functions: maintain a subcritical chemistry, cool decay heat generated, and neutron shielding for personal.

If in a pool that is just evaporating adding fresh water is no big deal because boron doesn't evaporate. But if pool water goes away due to leakage then with gallon loss then added to, boron gets diluted and fuel assemblies get closer to critically. Actually no water on an assembly is better than water with no neutron absorber IF that assembly has been out of the core for some period of time, criticality and heat wise. But radiation would be lethal without concrete shielding.

Edit: another factor in SF pool design is geometric configuration of the fuel racks. Originally for most plants there was calculated spacing between stored fuel assemblies to prevent a critical mass. As power plants got life extensions, and reprocessing fuel was out of the question, companies went to high density fuel racks, with sheets of boron carbide sandwiched within each storage cell of the racks. When it was discovered that the boron carbide degraded over time, then companies had to be creative with shuffling fuel into different areas of storage pools based on fuel cycle burnup of each assembly. An assembly is typically considered 'burned up' after three complete fuel cycles, based on that particular power plant design. So 'midlife' assemblies can still go critical under the right conditions.

Kharn

Doing exactly what we are doing now is what we should be doing.

Vitrification solves a "problem" that doesn't actually exist.

There will be reactors in the not too distant future that will consume "spent" LWR and HWR fuel and turn it into enormous amounts of additional energy.

Link Posted: 7/29/2022 10:13:51 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

Doing exactly what we are doing now is what we should be doing.

Vitrification solves a "problem" that doesn't actually exist.

There will be reactors in the not too distant future that will consume "spent" LWR and HWR fuel and turn it into enormous amounts of additional energy.

View Quote

I keep asking what problem we're trying to solve. The imaginary one by the guy in the OP?

I agree, what we're doing now is what we should be doing.
Link Posted: 7/29/2022 10:13:56 AM EDT
[#37]
Bret is very smart and is less of an egotist windbag than his brother.

He’s also a biologist and theorizing about nuclear problems should be a question and not a statement.

I ain’t skeerd.
Link Posted: 7/29/2022 10:19:17 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
I've never seen any proposals for that.  Ignoring everything else, given the gamut of reactor designs in the US, I just don't see how the French have an ROI on such a reprocessing endeavor.

When I say these assemblies are End of Life, I mean so.  They are at a very special place; thermally, mechanically, grammatically.  Nobody is reusing a spent fuel bundle as-is.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
No, the temperature of the water in the SFP is no high enough to drive any type of thermal power generation cycle.  Nor should the water in the (would-be modified) pool ever be allowed to get high enough to do so - just to take the wind out of the Good Idea Fairy.  These rods are generally End of Life.  Natural convection water flow in a pool of water at 1 atm pressure on the surface is all they are designed for at this point.

End of life for US reactors, they could run in French units for quite some time longer. They even offered to purchase them from us...and we turned them down. They offered to BUY our NUCLEAR WASTE.
I've never seen any proposals for that.  Ignoring everything else, given the gamut of reactor designs in the US, I just don't see how the French have an ROI on such a reprocessing endeavor.

When I say these assemblies are End of Life, I mean so.  They are at a very special place; thermally, mechanically, grammatically.  Nobody is reusing a spent fuel bundle as-is.

The Czechs have a proposal to re use them for nuclear district heating.

Teplator, A Revolutionary Nuclear District Heating System

“It would be possible to heat all big Czech cities just from the reserves of spent fuel already available today in the Czech Republic”

Link Posted: 7/29/2022 10:24:14 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
Bret is very smart and is less of an egotist windbag than his brother.

He's also a biologist and theorizing about nuclear problems should be a question and not a statement.

I ain't skeerd.
View Quote

As a biologist he should spend some time talking about how absurd the Linear No Threshold model is for radiation effects on living organisms.

Clinging to this absurd and blatantly false model has set us back enormously.

More people should be talking about it.
Link Posted: 7/29/2022 10:25:25 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

I keep asking what problem we're trying to solve. The imaginary one by the guy in the OP?

I agree, what we're doing now is what we should be doing.
View Quote
Emphasis on imaginary.  His references are 404, and in trying to track down those references, there appears to be nothing of the sort in those references, aside from a paper on the initiating condition.
Link Posted: 7/29/2022 10:29:14 AM EDT
[#41]
Bret and his wife are both terrified of nuclear radiation, I saw a clip where he mentioned they won’t eat any fish out of the Pacific Ocean due to the Fukushima water discharges.  Even the most scientific mind will come up with some dumb stuff when they cease being rational about a topic.
Link Posted: 7/29/2022 10:30:20 AM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
Emphasis on imaginary.  His references are 404, and in trying to track down those references, there appears to be nothing of the sort in those references, aside from a paper on the initiating condition.
View Quote

Yep exactly. And again, it goes to analyzing to the Nth degree. Our UFSARs are publicly available and everyone here is free to read them to their hearts content and see just how deep we DO analyze for, but there is a limit. We don't have to plan for a solar flare that takes out all of the grid forever and I don't have to analyze for asteroids and I don't have to analyze for dinosaurs.

That being said, FLEX is quite an upgrade and people should worry less about these "problems."
Link Posted: 7/29/2022 10:32:38 AM EDT
[#43]
Disperse them 15,000 feet down in the Great Southern Ocean.
Link Posted: 7/29/2022 10:37:51 AM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
Bret and his wife are both terrified of nuclear radiation, I saw a clip where he mentioned they won't eat any fish out of the Pacific Ocean due to the Fukushima water discharges.  Even the most scientific mind will come up with some dumb stuff when they cease being rational about a topic.
View Quote

So basically he is a moron.

Link Posted: 7/29/2022 10:45:12 AM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

Really.
View Quote

You want kaiju, this is how you get kaiju..
Link Posted: 7/29/2022 11:01:49 AM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
Bret and his wife are both terrified of nuclear radiation, I saw a clip where he mentioned they won’t eat any fish out of the Pacific Ocean due to the Fukushima water discharges.  Even the most scientific mind will come up with some dumb stuff when they cease being rational about a topic.
View Quote

Lol wow.
Link Posted: 7/29/2022 11:14:12 AM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

“It would be possible to heat all big Czech cities just from the reserves of spent fuel already available today in the Czech Republic”

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
No, the temperature of the water in the SFP is no high enough to drive any type of thermal power generation cycle.  Nor should the water in the (would-be modified) pool ever be allowed to get high enough to do so - just to take the wind out of the Good Idea Fairy.  These rods are generally End of Life.  Natural convection water flow in a pool of water at 1 atm pressure on the surface is all they are designed for at this point.

End of life for US reactors, they could run in French units for quite some time longer. They even offered to purchase them from us...and we turned them down. They offered to BUY our NUCLEAR WASTE.

I'm reflexively uncomfortable with any system that casually discusses bringing water coolant of a fuel assembly to Tsat.
Link Posted: 7/29/2022 11:42:11 AM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

Yep exactly. And again, it goes to analyzing to the Nth degree. Our UFSARs are publicly available and everyone here is free to read them to their hearts content and see just how deep we DO analyze for, but there is a limit. We don't have to plan for a solar flare that takes out all of the grid forever and I don't have to analyze for asteroids and I don't have to analyze for dinosaurs.

That being said, FLEX is quite an upgrade and people should worry less about these "problems."
View Quote

This is the kind of stuff there needs to be public service announcements about. Energy independence is too damned important to let ignorance rule the day.
I hear the most insane stuff from people when I tell them that I work in nuclear. They have literally no idea how anything works.
Link Posted: 7/29/2022 11:43:43 AM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
What problem?
View Quote

The problem of cooling the fuel in the pool where there could be a problem from boil off or seismic cracking.
Link Posted: 7/29/2022 11:49:15 AM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
Disperse them 15,000 feet down in the Great Southern Ocean.
View Quote
While that is marginally better than disposing of fueled reactor cores at a depth of 150m off the coast of Norway*, if a design idea is only marginally better than Soviet Union Best Practices, the standard advice is to keep looking at other options.
Page / 4
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top