Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/2/2005 1:02:20 PM EDT
My buddy deployed two weeks ago, and I helped him move out of his base housing.  Since he has a bench, weights, and also a full Nautilis machine at home already, he sent his extra bench and weights home with me.

So, I have a 350lb set of weights, and a nice bench.

Some backstory.  I have been having back problems, and recently started a stretching routine with some mild exercises such as crunches, etc.  So I figure I may as well build on it and really get back into shape.

I have been lifting for two weeks, doing three sets of 10 leg curls, arm curls, bench presses, and reverse leg curls, along with stretching and crunches.  I can already see the difference.  I have dropped 10 lbs, my belly fat is starting to go away, and my arms, already pretty big, are getting bigger.  The big difference is in my chest though, I am getting some definition and mass already.

My GF kept telling me I have an ideal build for lifting (6'2", long arms, wide shoulders, and my arms and legs are naturally built).  It looks like she was right.

I started riding a couple miles on my bike every other day, so we'll see how that goes as well.  Gotta burn fat to see the developing six pack.

I have a question: how do I work my pecs with free weights?

Also, anyone who has suggestions feel free to let me know!  One caveat:  I have to be able to do my whole workout in 45 minutes due to my time committments.

Thanks guys!

ETA:  My diet is paleoithic pretty much, lots of grilled chicken, pork, and beef, lots of fresh veggies from my garden.  I also eat a lot of cookies and stuff though.  And since I am on vacation, daily whiskey and cokes LOL.

Link Posted: 9/2/2005 4:31:13 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 9/2/2005 5:33:26 PM EDT
[#2]
Good job, Kill.

Go easy on the fly's at first or you will get really sore.

And when in the Hell are we going to do the squad tactic thing?
IM me.
Link Posted: 9/3/2005 3:58:47 AM EDT
[#3]
45 mins is enough time for a good workout. If you have heavy dumbells -do DB bench presses---I have a set of 100 pounders and they really do the trick, just watch your shoulders when putting them back on the floor. I recently read that if you have back issues doing crunches or any ab exercises first thing in the morning is bad---just to keep in mind---I guess overnight something gasses or fluid builds up and if you don't move around and get it all going it could make your back feel like shit. I bought a pullup machine at a flea market for $20----great for the back and arms---pretty much a great upper body workout, but also has a dip station on the other side---if you could find one cheap that would be the ticket. If you have a barbel I would hit the squats hard and heavy 2 to 3 times a week---if not go with heavy DB lunges.----good luck---it's addicting
Link Posted: 9/3/2005 6:27:29 AM EDT
[#4]
http://www.exrx.net/Lists/Directory.html

Give that URL a try, lists muscles in groups and also by name.  Describes and actually shows you the movement of the exersize.  Some good ideas in there, might want to check it out.
Link Posted: 9/3/2005 8:29:17 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
I have a question: how do I work my pecs with free weights?

incline bench presses
flat bench presses
dumbbell presses (flat and incline)
dips (with your upper body bent over)
dumbbell flys
Link Posted: 9/4/2005 12:02:58 AM EDT
[#6]
w/stricker form dam 'dumb'bells move around more than a bar
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top