Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login

Site Notices
1/22/2020 12:12:56 PM
Posted: 11/20/2012 3:57:05 PM EST
Son wants a weight bench for xmas....he's 17. Don't really know what to look for I want something that will hold some weight...Can ya guys point me in a good direction.

Thanks.
Link Posted: 11/20/2012 3:58:12 PM EST
Find a second hand sporting goods store in your area. They usually have really good stuff on the cheap.
Link Posted: 11/20/2012 3:58:32 PM EST
Get an Olympic bench not some cheapo dell that uses the plastic weights filled with sand.
Link Posted: 11/20/2012 4:05:30 PM EST
I got one of these for christmas some while ago

Gold Gym GB 1500, I dont know if they still produce and sell this model but I'm very pleased with it.

Link Posted: 11/20/2012 4:06:28 PM EST
craigslist
Link Posted: 11/20/2012 4:06:45 PM EST
I have quite an assortment of Body Solid products, they work very well for me.

Link Posted: 11/20/2012 4:08:40 PM EST
[Last Edit: 11/20/2012 4:09:37 PM EST by BIKECOP29]
Power rack and bench with good padding.
Link Posted: 11/20/2012 4:08:56 PM EST
at 17 he just wants to press .... get an olympic bar and bench
Link Posted: 11/20/2012 4:12:39 PM EST
Originally Posted By BIKECOP29:

Is that what's in your avatar?
Link Posted: 11/20/2012 4:13:42 PM EST
Ironmaster bench & dumbbell kit. It's awesome.
Link Posted: 11/20/2012 4:14:12 PM EST
Tag
Link Posted: 11/20/2012 4:14:31 PM EST
[Last Edit: 11/20/2012 4:14:52 PM EST by smaddox]

Originally Posted By MidwestJ:
Get an Olympic bench not some cheapo dell that uses the plastic weights filled with sand.

+1

Please don't buy some cheap POS set.
Link Posted: 11/20/2012 4:15:04 PM EST
Originally Posted By Gun_Crank:

I don't know what is in his, but I know what is in yours - it's a snow cone maker right???
Link Posted: 11/20/2012 4:15:46 PM EST
Make sure it holds plenty of laundry
Link Posted: 11/20/2012 4:16:02 PM EST

No. Just a dude slamming a metal rod against a rack, while supporting himself on crutches.
Link Posted: 11/20/2012 4:16:29 PM EST
Get him a squat rack. He can do anything with a squat rack. Especially bicep curls.
Link Posted: 11/20/2012 4:41:48 PM EST
Originally Posted By AZ_Sky:

Just looked into those....fuck I'm the kind of person that does it right or don't do it at all....I can't afford that shit, The bench along is 5 bills....and a bar is another 2 and change... and that ain't even buying the plates....

Have to look into a punching bag, he wants one of those also...
Shit a membership to a gym would be cheaper..
Link Posted: 11/20/2012 4:45:31 PM EST

This plus Craigslist, found a used Olympic bench, Olympic bar and plates, for 60 bucks, a lot of ppl buy this stuff use it once or twice and give up on it.

Link Posted: 11/20/2012 4:47:30 PM EST
Originally Posted By tooly:

Just looked into those....fuck I'm the kind of person that does it right or don't do it at all....I can't afford that shit, The bench along is 5 bills....and a bar is another 2 and change... and that ain't even buying the plates....

Have to look into a punching bag, he wants one of those also...
Shit a membership to a gym would be cheaper..

Oopps, I haven't looked lately.
I bought my stuff twelve years ago.
I bought the top of the line universal gym, weight bench, weight rack, weight sets and Olympic bar, and roman chair for $3500.
Link Posted: 11/20/2012 4:52:19 PM EST
i like this series:

http://www.flexcart.com/members/elitefts/default.asp?cid=475

all you need is a power rack (can be used for almost anything free weights) plus a solid bench.

can't go wrong. they are literally the lego blocks of a true gym.

don't waste any time with the cheap stuff.

in the end, if you actually use it, it will pay for itself over time VS gym memberships. and you won't have to drive to the gym and use gas, get stuck because you worked late and now its closed, it snowed and they closed, etc.
Link Posted: 11/20/2012 4:55:05 PM EST
I agree, a solid cage and a bench along with a good barbell and plates.
Link Posted: 11/20/2012 5:57:26 PM EST

I don't know what is in his, but I know what is in yours - it's a snow cone maker right???

Yes it is.

BTW I think those Piper Cubs in yours are really awesome.
Link Posted: 11/20/2012 6:00:10 PM EST
The thing with a standard press bench is, if he is lifting by himself (which kids usually do), he is at a higher risk of injury due to dropping the bar, or pinning himself. It isn't too dangerous when starting. However, if he is serious, he should progress quickly. Eventually he will be putting himself at risk. With a rack, or at least a squat stand with spotter-arms, he can set it up to prevent the bar from crushing him. Of course, he can also use either for squats.

There are competition bench press benches with safeties, but I haven't seen any even close to your price range.
Link Posted: 11/20/2012 6:13:21 PM EST
[Last Edit: 11/20/2012 6:18:31 PM EST by Styken]
So when you are asking for a bench, I assume you mean a bench only, and not a set.

Make sure the bench is an adjustable , so that it can be adjusted from fully flat to fully upright. Don't worry about silly attachments like leg extensions. Make sure that the rests for the barbell have sections on the front to rest the bar if you can't get it fully back up (the oh shit pins).

Everything should be good solid welds. Make sure the pads on the bench do not rattle or move around AT ALL when lying on.

The power rack is also a good suggestion, just be sure to get a simple adjustable bench to go with it (doesn't need a bar rack, obviously, the cage will take care of that.)

Then buy him a copy of Starting Strength by Mark Rippetoe.
Link Posted: 11/20/2012 6:15:18 PM EST
[Last Edit: 11/20/2012 6:16:22 PM EST by tooly]
Think I'm gonna get him this....He does lots of one handed pushups and uses the perfect pushups....he also wants a pullup bar, I think I will get him this. He'll love this...alot!

X-Mark Power Tower Pull Up - XM-7617

Guys thanks for all your help!!!!
Link Posted: 11/20/2012 6:23:17 PM EST
[Last Edit: 11/20/2012 6:24:14 PM EST by BallsOfSteel]
Originally Posted By DukeFan23:

This plus Craigslist, found a used Olympic bench, Olympic bar and plates, for 60 bucks, a lot of ppl buy this stuff use it once or twice and give up on it.

Absolutely this. Craigslist for a week and cherry-pick the best you find. Doing generic searches for "weights" brings in the gold.

Weights and equipment are one of the best possible deals you can get on there.

Does he maybe want to get into any particular exercise or workout genre? You can set him up like a king easy. I got a list of gear for p90x and had it all at the end of the second day crawling craigslist.

AVOID ANY ONE WHO OFFERS CRAB MEAT.
Top Top