Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Site Notices
10/20/2017 1:01:18 AM
9/22/2017 12:11:25 AM
Posted: 9/16/2005 7:37:28 AM EDT
I am wanting to build and run a web server from my home.
Any suggestions?
Link Posted: 9/16/2005 8:30:02 AM EDT

Originally Posted By cdhicks99:
I am wanting to build and run a web server from my home.
Any suggestions?

First, you need a decent network connection (fast enough in the UPLOAD direction).

Make certain that you are allowed to run servers - virtualy no cable system allows this, and they WILL shut down your connection if they find one -- yes, they do scan looking for them.

Best bet is a DSL connection -- not to the Verizon/Whoever ISP -- they tend to be as bad as the cable companies, but to a smaller third-party ISP.

Once you have your connection in place, I would suggest using Apache running on Linux.
Link Posted: 9/16/2005 8:32:33 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 9/16/2005 8:33:10 AM EDT by DDiggler]
You can run Apache on WinXP too. I do this to share my band's mp3s with the other members.

If you use IIS with Windows, you will have a maximum connection limit. You have full ability with Apache, for free.
Link Posted: 9/16/2005 8:56:17 AM EDT
What kind of storage would you recommend?
Link Posted: 9/16/2005 9:06:23 AM EDT

Originally Posted By DDiggler:
If you use IIS with Windows, you will have a maximum connection limit. You have full ability with Apache, for free.

That only applies when running IIS on Windows 2000 Pro (and I think XP Pro as well). You are limited to 10 concurrent connections in that case.

There is no limitation for Windows Server versions.

And you would not want to run a web server on Windows 2000/XP Pro anyway.
Link Posted: 9/16/2005 9:06:53 AM EDT
SATA RAID is probably the most affordable.
Link Posted: 9/16/2005 9:33:08 AM EDT

Originally Posted By mattja:

+1 on Cheap SATA

But if you can afford enough bandwidth to need it, then SCSI is still the KING.

( BTW try to find a SATA drive with a 5 or 7 yr warranty, SCSI is built to last under demanding use and you pay for it. )
Link Posted: 9/16/2005 9:34:55 AM EDT

You can run Apache on WinXP too. I do this to share my band's mp3s with the other members.

But by moving to a UNIX/Linux platform you reduce the virus/hacking potential.
Link Posted: 9/16/2005 10:07:30 AM EDT
I think I am going to use the UNIX platform.
Link Posted: 9/16/2005 10:08:38 AM EDT
Link Posted: 9/16/2005 10:28:35 AM EDT
What is the purose of you running a web server?

If you want to host a serious site that will get even a low amount of hits then it is not wise to run the web server from home. you'd be better off buying a host, because of the bandwidth limitations of residential internet connections (cable, DSL, ISDN, etc.) which can in no way compete with a OC3 or better line that some internet hosting company would have.

If you want to host a personal website for friends & family then check out WAMP

http://www.wampserver.com/en/index.php

It's great, It's easy, I'm a web desinger and use it daily for website testing (php, cgi, perl, etc.)

In any event if you do decide to run a web server from home, you will need a static IP. Otherwise you will not be able to use domain names due to the fact that your IP will always be changing.

Hope that helps
Link Posted: 9/16/2005 10:32:11 AM EDT
what sort of web site? If it's just light traffic and static web pages you can do it for cheap on
a DSL or cable connection. Usually the DHCP leases are long enough that if you leave your
box up 7/24 your IP never changes. That lets you screw The Man out of a charge for
a static IP.

www.zoneedit.com is good for free DNS.
Link Posted: 9/16/2005 11:18:45 AM EDT
whats a good RELIABLE FAST cheap hosting outfit for runnning a small/medium phpBB with live chat? (not talking arfcom scale, just 1000 members, maybe 100 online max)

networksolutions is slowwwwwwwww
Link Posted: 9/16/2005 11:25:35 AM EDT

Originally Posted By ProfGAB101:

+1 on Cheap SATA

But if you can afford enough bandwidth to need it, then SCSI is still the KING.

( BTW try to find a SATA drive with a 5 or 7 yr warranty, SCSI is built to last under demanding use and you pay for it. )

SCSI is still the King, but the new SATA 2 (or SATA 3.0Gbs) will give SCSI a good run for it's money.

In price comparison, the new SATA 2 will be about half (or 1/3) as expensive as SCSI and will do good for applications like small web servers or gaming.
Link Posted: 9/16/2005 11:28:03 AM EDT

Originally Posted By Paul:
Appache if you have to.

It's so much cheaper/faster to run one at rackspace.com or some other dirt cheap hosting place.

+1. I gave up on the idea of running e-mail and web servers from home. The cheap hosts are so much easier. I use runbox.
Link Posted: 9/16/2005 11:28:34 AM EDT
Tagged.
Link Posted: 9/16/2005 11:38:32 AM EDT
I payed $3k for a juiced up server and $100/m for a nice connection to the net

-Foxxz
Link Posted: 9/16/2005 12:27:55 PM EDT

Link Posted: 9/18/2005 2:59:56 PM EDT

That only applies when running IIS on Windows 2000 Pro (and I think XP Pro as well). You are limited to 10 concurrent connections in that case.

There is no limitation for Windows Server versions.

And you would not want to run a web server on Windows 2000/XP Pro anyway.

I assumed that if he wanted to run a server from home instead of pay for it, that he wouldn't want to spend the $$$ for Windows Server.

I run a small website from my home but it's a private one, just to share files with my friends. Password protected and they don't affect my monthly bandwidth on my website I'm paying for with Hostgator.
Link Posted: 9/18/2005 10:11:28 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 9/18/2005 10:13:05 PM EDT by Dave_A]
1) For your average home box, disk storage is not an issue - your net connection is going to be much slower than even the cheapest modern ATA/IDE hard disk... RAID is nice for data protection, but you're not going to max out disk or CPU over a DSL line.

2) Unless you need special features such as custom softwae, or full administrator access to your server, it is MUCH cheaper to pay the $6-10/mo to use a hosting service. The only exception is if you get alot of lowspeed or off-peak traffic, which will run up against your monthly bandwidth limit on a hosting service, whereas your ISP won't have a bandwith limit (if they do they're a POS - can 'em) on your home connection....

3) www.dyndns.org (free) and www.dhs.org ($5/yr) provide a simple, easy solution to the dynamic-IP issue. You can do this with ZoneEdit and your 'own' domain (eg www.mysite.com) too, but that requires a more detailed knowledge of DNS than the ready-made dynamic-DNS services provide for free or near-free...
Top Top