Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 6/19/2011 5:56:06 PM EDT
For Father's Day my son-in-law said we needed to go fishing.  I totally agreed with that.  
We decided to try one of my favorite fishing lakes, Jones Pond at Cheatham Annex VA, which is a Navy supply facility.  They have 3 lakes that are used as reservoirs for Newport News.
About seven years ago the Navy decided to kill off the weed beds in the lake which totally screwed up the fishing.  Before the weed kill, we could pull 2 to 3 pound bass all day long.  The largest I caught was an 8 pounder.  In the years right after the weed kill, the bite fell off, and the bass got much smaller.    If you could catch a 1 pound bass you were doing good.  Plus, the overall catch rate just went to shit.
I fished Jones Pond on and off in the years since, and slowly the weeds started coming back.  I didn't fish it at all last year, but the year before there were some definite signs of improvement.  The weed beds were coming back, and the fish seemed to be getting bigger and biting more.
So when we got there this morning, I was encouraged to see a fair number of weeds on the surface of the lake.  I was hoping that this would be a good omen, and that the fishing would be improved over previous years.
I can state with no uncertainty that things are much better.  
I knew it would be a good day when I tossed my lure out just to get that first cast of the year in.  We hadn't even pushed the boat from the dock when I pulled this puppy in.

We caught about 6 fish that size, plus about 15 that were just slightly smaller.  They all hit hard, and fought like much bigger fish.  They were all pulled from the weeds that were on the surface.  All we had to do was drag a lure right next to the weeds and hold on.
I can't wait until next time.  
My son-in-laws first fish of the day.

Another one.

Link Posted: 6/19/2011 6:09:00 PM EDT
[#1]
I was gonna call b.s. for you catching a 8 pounder in Va., we have big Bass here in Florida, looks like you caught a 2 1/2- 3 pounder in the first pic. Nice job and any day catching the largemouth is a good day.
Link Posted: 6/19/2011 7:13:36 PM EDT
[#2]
Caught my first large mouth bass from a lake deep in the piney woods of east Texas near Palestine. It was like a revelation.

Top water fishing for large mouth on a steamin' hot sultry day is almost as much fun a shooting guns!

Healthy looking fish!
Link Posted: 6/20/2011 6:24:11 AM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:

Caught my first large mouth bass from a lake deep in the piney woods of east Texas near Palestine. It was like a revelation.

Top water fishing for large mouth on a steamin' hot sultry day is almost as much fun a shooting guns!

Healthy looking fish!

There is nothing like a big old bass hitting a top water lure.    

One second there is a lure, the next a massive splash and tug on your line.  

Link Posted: 6/20/2011 6:27:47 AM EDT
[#4]
Nice catches.  

Bass fishing has been getting better in the waters I fish because the weeds are starting to come back as well.  I remember in the 1970s, it would be a mat of milfoil with trails where boats ran through.  You could catch 3 to 6 lbs bass and bigger ones with every single cast of a plastic worm.  Then in the 1980s something happened that killed all the weeds and the bass fishing and duck hunting went to shit overnight.

Both have slowly been making a comeback with the arrival of aquatic vegetation first sighted about 10 years ago.  I also notice a better variety now as well, not just all milfoil.

Link Posted: 6/20/2011 6:27:48 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

I was gonna call b.s. for you catching a 8 pounder in Va., we have big Bass here in Florida, looks like you caught a 2 1/2- 3 pounder in the first pic. Nice job and any day catching the largemouth is a good day.

I have my 8 pounder on the wall in my office right beside me. 25 3/4"
Link Posted: 6/20/2011 6:34:18 AM EDT
[#6]
You make me sad because I know if I want to ever catch a bass in the 8 lb range I'll have to go fish out of state.  5 lbers are considered pretty big here.  
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top