Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 10/10/2005 1:42:57 PM EDT
First the OU bombing, now Cali AND Georgia!
---------------------------
Explosive found at Midvale

JAY TAYLOR/daily bruin senior staff
An explosive device was detonated by the Los Angeles Police Department bomb squad outside of 527 Midvale Ave. on Friday afternoon.

By Richard Clough
DAILY BRUIN SENIOR STAFF
[email protected]

A calm and quiet Westwood was briefly disrupted Friday afternoon when the Los Angeles Police Department bomb squad inspected and detonated an explosive device found within the Midvale Plaza apartment complex on the 500 block of Midvale Avenue.

After responding to a call made at 11:13 a.m., the bomb squad arrived at 527 Midvale Ave. to find "an improvised explosive device" in the building's open-air courtyard, said Grace Brady, a spokeswoman for the LAPD.

No injuries were reported, but authorities have been slow to release details about the incident and the device.

Residents said they first heard a small explosion sometime between 5 a.m. and 8 a.m. Friday, but most said they went back to sleep. It was not until a resident found an explosive device later that morning that the police were called.

Police cars, FBI vehicles, ambulances, fire trucks and parking-enforcement vehicles blocked access to the street, and police officers restricted nearby pedestrian traffic while the bomb squad inspected the device. About 15 people waited at the corner of Midvale Avenue and Ophir Drive until they were allowed to return to their apartments near where the explosive was found.

Neither the apartment building nor nearby buildings were evacuated, but Paul Robi, a detective with the FBI bomb squad, said the squad executed "a moderate evacuation," which amounted to telling residents to stay off their balconies and in their apartments. Curious onlookers who stepped onto their balconies said they were immediately told to go back into their apartments.

Shortly after 1 p.m., the bomb squad remotely detonated the device. A low boom was audible for about a one-block radius, and several people who live across the street said they felt their apartments shake.

Beau Gillman, a second-year business economics student who lives across the street, said he heard shouts of "fire in the hole" before he heard and felt the explosion.

About five minutes later, police reopened the street to vehicles and pedestrians.

Most of the residents interviewed said they were aware of the situation, but they did not feel afraid or threatened. Most were surprised that someone would put an explosive in a Westwood apartment building.

Several residents said their apartments were briefly searched after the incident, but they said the searches did not appear to specifically target any residents. They also said it appeared to be apartment management who conducted the searches, though Midvale Plaza managers refused to comment.

Nancy Greenstein, director of the UCPD community services division, said UCPD officers were not on the scene Friday, but they routinely investigate suspicious packages. None of the recent calls to the department have revealed actual explosive devices, she said.
--------------------------------------
Reported By: Valerie Hoff
Web Editor: Sean Rowe
Web Editor: Tracey Christensen
Last Modified: 10/10/2005 4:48:38 PM

Three explosive devices found in a courtyard between two Georgia Tech dormitories on the East Campus Monday morning were part of a "terrorist act," an Atlanta police official said.

One of the devices exploded, injuring the custodian who found them inside a plastic bag. Two others were detonated by a bomb squad.

The custodian suffered ringing to the ears and was treated at a local hospital. The events led to a temporary evacuation Monday morning.

"It is a terrorist act at this point and depending on the outcome of the investigation it potentially could become a federal violation as well," said Major C.W. Moss of the Atlanta Police Department.

The custodian found the three devices about 9 a.m. in a plastic-type garbage bag, Moss said. When he picked up the bag, one exploded, as it was designed to do when handled. The explosives were made up of chemicals placed inside plastic bottles and could have seriously injured someone, officials said. Numerous agencies were on the Georgia Tech campus to search for suspects.

"It will be a joint investigation between the Atlanta Police Department, the Georgia Tech Police Department, the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco and Firearms, the FBI and the Joint Terrorism Task Force. Every possible lead will be followed," said Major Moss.

About 100 students were evacuated from the Cloudman and Glenn dormitories, according to school spokeswoman Amelia Gambino.
Link Posted: 10/10/2005 1:44:10 PM EDT
[#1]
The sky is in fact NOT falling.

Full moon coming.

Link Posted: 10/10/2005 1:44:48 PM EDT
[#2]
Pretty weak "attacks" so far... What, the only casualties so far are the guy that blew himself up (no big loss) and a janitor's ears?
Link Posted: 10/10/2005 1:46:16 PM EDT
[#3]
There are no attacks... Its just some crazy white boys having some fun..

Link Posted: 10/10/2005 1:50:35 PM EDT
[#4]
Sounds like copy cats. If the guy opened the bag with the bomb in it and was only injured It seems it wasn't some one who knew what they are doing. And from the looks of it when the islaminacs do something they dont do it small.
Link Posted: 10/10/2005 1:57:55 PM EDT
[#5]
Suit yourself, but don't blame me if you put off panicking until it is too late, and all the good panic is all used up.  I'm offering ground floor panic here.  
Link Posted: 10/10/2005 1:58:05 PM EDT
[#6]
We're America, let's go drop some bombs on some muslim city at random. Fight terror with even more terror!
Link Posted: 10/10/2005 2:00:58 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
Sounds like copy cats. If the guy opened the bag with the bomb in it and was only injured It seems it wasn't some one who knew what they are doing. And from the looks of it when the islaminacs do something they dont do it small.

+1

And remember, the current running record for bomb attacks by the same guy is held by a kooky American who was living in a shack in Montana (Unibomber)...

The 'small explosion', followed by the find seems to suggest someone playing with explosives again...

Wonder if it was a 'pipe bomb'??? Sounds like it...
Link Posted: 10/10/2005 2:50:26 PM EDT
[#8]
And This: Chemical IED Found in Kilauea, Kauai, Hawaii by Jogger on Thursday, 6 October, 2005

quote:
   Army disposes of bomb found by Kauai jogger
   Star-Bulletin staff

KILAUEA, Kauai » A jogger on a morning run yesterday found a suspicious package that turned out to be a bomb, police officials said yesterday.

The package was said to "be suspicious with wires (and duct tape) coming out of it," Kauai Police Capt. Ale Quibilan said, found by a jogger in the large field across from the Kilauea Post Office at around 8:30 a.m.

"It didn't look right, so we decided to call the military," Quibilan said, and personnel from the Army Explosive Ordnance Disposal Team came from Oahu to detonate the package.

Officials from the FBI flew over as well.

Based on a report from the Army team, "it's an actual device," Quibilan said. "It had the right chemicals in it to be described as an improvised explosive device."

There were no markings on the box, and Kauai detectives, as well as the FBI, are investigating, Quibilan added.

© Honolulu Star-Bulletin -- http://starbulletin.com
Link Posted: 10/10/2005 2:56:17 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
We're America, let's go drop some bombs on some muslim city at random. Fight terror with even more terror!

Link Posted: 10/11/2005 1:43:06 AM EDT
[#10]
Last chance to panic...
Link Posted: 10/11/2005 1:47:53 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
Last chance to panic...

I am wigging out!
Link Posted: 10/11/2005 1:53:02 AM EDT
[#12]
When in fear or in doubt, run in circles, scream and shout
Link Posted: 10/11/2005 2:03:09 AM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 10/11/2005 6:44:11 AM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
When in fear or in doubt, run in circles, scream and shout

OK I did that... Coworkers are looking at me funny but who cares, THE SKY IS FALLING!!!
Link Posted: 10/11/2005 6:49:53 AM EDT
[#15]
Maybe they're in the testing and planning phase, using small amounts of explosive so they don't use up what they have before it's time to carry out their master plan.

Except for the suicide bombing at OU, perhaps these others are just testing their ability to build and detonate a bomb and what our response time would be.

Anything is possible.

Link Posted: 10/11/2005 6:51:39 AM EDT
[#16]
Drunk chemistry majors.
Link Posted: 10/11/2005 6:54:05 AM EDT
[#17]

So should I start loading more mags now?

And if so, what's the best caliber to use against a random IED?

Link Posted: 10/11/2005 6:58:00 AM EDT
[#18]
Could be a test to judge response.  Possible setup for a bigger event.

Vigilance.
Link Posted: 10/11/2005 6:59:23 AM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

So should I start loading more mags now?

And if so, what's the best caliber to use against a random IED?

I would bet a roof mounted M2 would do fine with a few thousand rounds
Link Posted: 10/11/2005 7:01:25 AM EDT
[#20]
The sky is not falling but we will enter the era of suicide bombers blowing up grocery stores, buses, clubs and Starbucks eventually. These latest reports sound unorganized and under funded but soon someone is bound to get it right.
Link Posted: 10/11/2005 7:05:06 AM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:
First the OU bombing, now Cali AND Georgia!
---------------------------
...Residents said they first heard a small explosion sometime between 5 a.m. and 8 a.m. Friday, but most said they went back to sleep. It was not until a resident found an explosive device later that morning that the police were called...

Says all I need to see about where it was found and who found it.

I hear a "small explosion" near my house and I am out of bed, no delay.  A small explosion wasn't even as important as a midnight piss to these people.  
Link Posted: 10/11/2005 7:05:52 AM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:
The sky is not falling but we will enter the era of suicide bombers blowing up grocery stores, buses, clubs and Starbucks eventually. These latest reports sound unorganized and under funded but soon someone is bound to get it right.

That would be the best thing we could ever ask for with regard to gun rights.
Link Posted: 10/11/2005 7:06:56 AM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:

I'm sure the libs would try to spin it that guns were somehow responsible for them planting IED's.
Link Posted: 10/11/2005 7:11:23 AM EDT
[#24]
The automatons at the DU will be clamoring for their guns when their buddies at al quaeda start smoking their favorite coffee shops and shopping malls.
Link Posted: 10/11/2005 7:13:25 AM EDT
[#25]
Link Posted: 10/11/2005 7:19:22 AM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I'm sure the libs would try to spin it that guns were somehow responsible for them planting IED's.

"Culture of violence"
Link Posted: 10/11/2005 7:25:42 AM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:
If the guy opened the bag with the bomb in it and was only injured It seems it wasn't some one who knew what they are doing.

It was a Works bomb...drain cleaner and aluminum foil in a
2L bottle. Hardly a "terrorist act."

Mountain and molehill in the GT case.
Link Posted: 10/11/2005 7:28:22 AM EDT
[#28]
I tried to build more "bombs" when I was a kid than I can recall.  Hell, I was in an arms race against that human wave of plastic army men.  I perfected napalm but never any higher order explosives.  I finally turned the tide when I developed the wasp spray flamethrower.  
Link Posted: 10/11/2005 7:31:15 AM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:
I tried to build more "bombs" when I was a kid than I can recall.  Hell, I was in an arms race against that human wave of plastic army men.  I perfected napalm but never any higher order explosives.  I finally turned the tide when I developed the wasp spray flamethrower.  

+1

Bigtime!!

Match heads in a pipe
drano bombs
M-80s wrapped with finishing nails
gasoline soaked sawdust
napalm gel (styrofoam dissolved into gas)
fertilizer and fuel oil

Than again, growing up with grandparents who owned 800 acres of farmland had its privileges.

Kids will be kids.
Link Posted: 10/11/2005 7:35:22 AM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:

Quoted:

+1

Bigtime!!

Match heads in a pipe
drano bombs
M-80s wrapped with finishing nails
gasoline soaked sawdust
napalm gel (styrofoam dissolved into gas)
fertilizer and fuel oil

Than again, growing up with grandparents who owned 800 acres of farmland had its privileges.

Kids will be kids.

Don't forget WD-40.  It had that short but broad spray pattern, like a beehive round.

Eventually I went with the .22 (brick of a bazillion for $10) at standoff ranges.  I new how M1-A1s felt against T-62s even before the Gulf War.  Those plastic bastards never had a chance.

Damn, I might revert to my youth this weekend, just for fun.
Link Posted: 10/11/2005 7:49:15 AM EDT
[#31]
GLOCKshooter

Thanks for the heads-up

Anyone seen any of this on TV news?

Link Posted: 10/11/2005 8:00:16 AM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:
The automatons at the DU will be clamoring for their guns when their buddies at al quaeda start smoking their favorite coffee shops and shopping malls.

I shot snot on my monitor from laughing so hard
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top