Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/9/2005 1:16:05 PM EDT
I thought these were s'posed to be small?  They're pretty damned large!
Link Posted: 8/9/2005 1:18:46 PM EDT
[#1]

Quoted:
I thought these were s'posed to be small?  They're pretty damned large!

Once upon a time they were supposed to be smaller and cheaper.

Neither happened.
Link Posted: 8/9/2005 1:48:07 PM EDT
[#2]
I guess I'm beginning to age. I saw 'USS Virginia' and automatically conjured up an image of CGN-38

NTM
Link Posted: 8/9/2005 1:49:56 PM EDT
[#3]
Very close friend of mine was the First Lieutenant aboard VIRGINIA back from 1992-1994. She was a grand thing.

I saw what was left of her in Portsmouth Naval Shipyard in 1995. She had been razed to the main deck. All that was left was the hull.
Link Posted: 8/9/2005 1:52:42 PM EDT
[#4]
I think he is talking about Virginia class subs, not the USS Virginia.....am I right?
Link Posted: 8/9/2005 1:58:46 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
I think he is talking about Virginia class subs, not the USS Virginia.....am I right?

yup
Link Posted: 8/9/2005 1:59:36 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

USS VIRGINIA is a sub now. The old CGN has been decommed, defueled, and scrapped.
Link Posted: 8/9/2005 2:00:02 PM EDT
[#7]
Nothing to add here.

Just that I can't seem to not click on a thread that has a "teh" in the title.
Link Posted: 8/9/2005 2:46:38 PM EDT
[#8]
<Pedant mode on>

One should not use the definite article when referring to a ship by name. It is analogous to calling your wife "The Kathleen"

You would thus say "I went aboard USS Enterprise", not "I went aboard the USS Enterprise"

<Pedant mode off>

NTM
Link Posted: 8/9/2005 2:48:28 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
<Pedant mode on>

One should not use the definite article when referring to a ship by name. It is analogous to calling your wife "The Kathleen"

You would thus say "I went aboard USS Enterprise", not "I went aboard the USS Enterprise"

<Pedant mode off>

NTM

Also proper USN writing gives the shipname in all caps, ie USS ENTERPRISE or ENTERPRISE vice Enterprise.
Link Posted: 8/9/2005 2:51:56 PM EDT
[#10]
I just watched it too.  My son, who is a sonarman on the USS Cheyenne, happened to be home on leave (insert smiling, happy dad here).  He says it is smaller than the Los Angeles class he is on.  He is jealous of the fiber optics that replace the periscope, but is a LA man through and through.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top