Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 6/7/2003 11:44:29 PM EDT
So I'm watching Pulp Fiction and I've always wondered what's in the briefcase.

So what's in the Briefcase ARFCOM?

By the way, which Pulp fiction Character are you?
[url]http://www.pyrrha.org/pulp/[/url]
Link Posted: 6/7/2003 11:50:03 PM EDT
[#1]
I thought it had to do with someones soul?

Link Posted: 6/8/2003 12:04:03 AM EDT
[#2]
From [url]www.imdb.com[/url]
Speculation abounds as to the nature of the mysterious glowing contents of the case:

Could it be Elvis' gold suit, seen worn by Val Kilmer (as Elvis) in True Romance (1993)?

The most persistent theory (most usually attributed to a friend of a friend who saw it posted on a message board by someone whose brother had read a report of a radio interview with Tarantino himself) is that it is Marcellus Wallace's soul. It is an ancient belief that when the Devil takes a person's soul, it is removed through the back of the head. When we see the back of Marcellus' head he has a Band-Aid covering the precise spot indicated by tradition for soul removal. Perhaps Marcellus sold his soul to the devil which would also explain why the combination to open the briefcase is 666.

Or could it be simply a 20-watt light bulb?
View Quote
Link Posted: 6/8/2003 12:10:14 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

... By the way, which Pulp fiction Character are you?

View Quote

... Duh
Link Posted: 6/8/2003 12:13:12 AM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 6/8/2003 12:15:20 AM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 6/8/2003 12:18:04 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

... By the way, which Pulp fiction Character are you?

View Quote

... Duh
View Quote

You're the whiney french girlfriend, right? [:D]

(Gloftoe ducks the incoming objects)
View Quote

<--- Nope, see moniker.
Link Posted: 6/8/2003 12:19:42 AM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 6/8/2003 12:26:32 AM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 6/8/2003 12:42:01 AM EDT
[#9]
It says I'm like Butch.
Link Posted: 6/8/2003 12:50:19 AM EDT
[#10]
I'm Jimmie.  I thought I'd be Brad (The guy who knew why they didn't have quarter pounders in Europe when Jules asked him).

And what is in the briefcase?  Something very valuable.
Link Posted: 6/8/2003 3:12:19 AM EDT
[#11]
Where's my Honda?

Zed's dead!
Link Posted: 6/8/2003 3:50:12 AM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 6/8/2003 4:19:08 AM EDT
[#13]
it says I'm Jules
Link Posted: 6/8/2003 5:21:45 AM EDT
[#14]
Butch
Link Posted: 6/8/2003 5:23:34 AM EDT
[#15]
I think it was Kryptonite.
edited to add Jules.
Link Posted: 6/8/2003 7:05:52 AM EDT
[#16]
I'm like Jimmie
Link Posted: 6/8/2003 7:16:04 AM EDT
[#17]
Rember bring out the gimp?

Im Pumpkin.
Link Posted: 6/8/2003 7:24:07 AM EDT
[#18]
Butch here.

Link Posted: 6/8/2003 7:39:34 AM EDT
[#19]
It says that I'm Pumpkin and that I should go back to robbing liquor stores.
Link Posted: 6/8/2003 7:55:02 AM EDT
[#20]
Jules

You don't tolerate shit. The .45 you carry in you pocket is scary, but your words are the real threat, especially when you decide to get Biblical. Try to take it easy, but maintain that edge of yours, which tends to keep people wary in your presence.
Link Posted: 6/8/2003 7:59:42 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Quoted:
1) No bullets struck either of them in the shootout where they picked up the case, but there were bullet holes behind them in the wall(something holy was protecting them).
View Quote

Go watch it again and look close when the kid comes busting out of the bathroom.
The bullet holes in the wall are already there behind them!
Just one of several mistakes in this movie.
Another is when they close the trunk on the guy that was shot in the face they show his full face and its in perfect shape!
View Quote

Look closely the next time you watch it. Marvin caught it in the mouth. He was right in the middle of a word when Vincent accidently shot him.
Link Posted: 6/8/2003 8:00:49 AM EDT
[#22]
I am "the king of smooth".

Whatever the heck that is.

Link Posted: 6/8/2003 8:02:29 AM EDT
[#23]
[img]www.pyrrha.org/pulp/char/marsellusbanner.jpg[/img]

Aviator
Link Posted: 6/8/2003 8:05:53 AM EDT
[#24]
Butch.

I read somewhere that Travolta said what was in the briefcase. It was lined with gold foil and filled with Chem-lights.

I imagined something extremely rare probably one of a kind. Something of inestimable value. Something only a U.S. Govt. sized/funded research project could develop. Something that would be marketable to unfriendly foreign Govt's.
Link Posted: 6/8/2003 9:04:37 AM EDT
[#25]
[img]http://us.news1.yimg.com/us.yimg.com/p/rids/20030415/i/1050377742.3758317639.jpg[/img]
Link Posted: 6/8/2003 9:41:00 AM EDT
[#26]
Link Posted: 6/8/2003 9:55:30 AM EDT
[#27]
Vince
Link Posted: 6/8/2003 9:59:52 AM EDT
[#28]
Ah, man...I'm Jimmie.
Link Posted: 6/8/2003 10:01:16 AM EDT
[#29]
Jules
Link Posted: 6/8/2003 10:12:28 AM EDT
[#30]
The wolf
Link Posted: 6/8/2003 10:13:57 AM EDT
[#31]
Butch

It's not a bike, it's a chopper, baby. Now c'mon..."
View Quote
Link Posted: 6/8/2003 10:21:56 AM EDT
[#32]
[img]http://www.pyrrha.org/pulp/char/butchbanner.jpg[/img]
Link Posted: 6/8/2003 11:28:16 AM EDT
[#33]
Link Posted: 6/8/2003 11:35:49 AM EDT
[#34]
What's in the briefcase? The simple answer is that were not suppose to know. I also pictured big bars of gold, myself. As a side note, does anybody else get hungry watching this film? Christ, all they do is eat! Nothing like a Big Kahuna burger and Sprite for breakfast!
Link Posted: 6/8/2003 12:34:35 PM EDT
[#35]
Don't be tellin' me about foot massages - I'm the foot fuckin' master.

Say "what" again. SAY "WHAT" AGAIN! I dare you, I double dare you, motherfucker! Say "what" one more goddamn time!

Now let me ask you a question. When you drove in here, did you notice a sign out in front that said, "Dead nigger storage"?

Any of you fuckin' pricks move, and I'll execute every mother fuckin' last one of ya.

I'm on the motherfucker. Go back in there, chill them niggaz out and wait for the calvery which should be coming directly.

If my answers frighten you then you should cease asking scary questions.

I hid this uncomfortable piece of metal up my ass for two years.

The path of the righteous man is beset on all sides by the inequities of the selfish and the tyranny of evil men. Blessed is he, who in the name of charity and good will, shepherds the weak through the valley of darkness, for he is truly his brother's keeper and the finder of lost children. And I will strike down upon thee with great vengeance and furious anger those who would attempt to poison and destroy my brothers. And you will know my name is the Lord when I lay my vengeance upon thee.
Link Posted: 6/8/2003 12:55:29 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

The path of the righteous man is beset on all sides by the inequities of the selfish and the tyranny of evil men. Blessed is he, who in the name of charity and good will, shepherds the weak through the valley of darkness, for he is truly his brother's keeper and the finder of lost children. And I will strike down upon thee with great vengeance and furious anger those who would attempt to poison and destroy my brothers. And you will know my name is the Lord when I lay my vengeance upon thee.
View Quote

I love that scene and quote!

I alway thought the briefcase had a pair of Uma Thurmans well worn undies. My bad....
Link Posted: 6/8/2003 1:04:53 PM EDT
[#37]
I am Pumkin, the diner hold up guy.
Link Posted: 6/8/2003 2:20:03 PM EDT
[#38]
[img]http://www.pyrrha.org/pulp/char/pumpkinbanner.jpg[/img]
Link Posted: 6/8/2003 2:32:30 PM EDT
[#39]
Ok now you got to go and watch this [url]http://www.pulpphantom.com[/url]
Link Posted: 6/8/2003 3:36:16 PM EDT
[#40]
I'm on the motherfucker, because apparently I'm Marcellus.
Link Posted: 6/8/2003 4:03:28 PM EDT
[#41]
Link Posted: 6/8/2003 4:20:16 PM EDT
[#42]
It was a McGuffin, an object used in movies to get the plot going, but in itself isn't a central point in the movie.  Hence, it could have been anything.

The Simpsons use McGuffins all the time as well.  

Now, if you want to get interesting, start up Pink Floyd's DSOTM and watch the Wizard of Oz at the same time.  Coincidence??  I think not [;)]

[url]http://homepages.wmich.edu/~s8mosey/pulpfiction.html[/url]

Definition of MacGuffin
[url]http://www.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mcguffin[/url]
Link Posted: 6/8/2003 7:25:51 PM EDT
[#43]
I thought I'd be Butch.

I am.

[img]http://www.pyrrha.org/pulp/char/butchbanner.jpg[/img]
[i]"Tired of being underappreciated and manipulated by powerful "others," you fight back. Though possesssing a cold, violent outside, you have a soft, scentimental inside. You love your partner, you cherish family heirlooms, and you want nothing more than to be geniunely happy -- but you don't mind having to kill a couple of nimrods who happen to clutter your path."[/i]

Yep, pretty close.

What's in the case?

I don't think it's drugs - these guys wouldn't be so transfixed by just a couple bricks of cocaine. I'm sure they've seen plenty in their days.

Gold?

Nah, that much gold would be DAMN heavy.

Jewels?

Maybe.

But in the diner after Jules opens the case to show Ringo (pumpkin), Ringo asks [i]"[red]Is THAT[/red] what I think [red]IT is[/red]"[/i] - he doesn't say [i]"[red]Are THOSE[/red] what I think [red]THEY are[/red]".[/i]

Whatever "it" is, it's most likely a single object.

So what does Jules say it is?
RINGO: What's in that?

JULES: My boss' dirty laundry.

RINGO: You boss makes you do his laundry?

JULE: When he wants it clean.
View Quote
Yep, it's Marcellus' soul.

Link Posted: 6/8/2003 8:47:03 PM EDT
[#44]
What's in the case?

Drugs or money...

What else would a two-bit crook put in a suitcase that would be worth getting shot over???
Link Posted: 6/8/2003 8:56:23 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
I thought I'd be Butch.

I am.

[url]http://www.pyrrha.org/pulp/char/butchbanner.jpg[/url]
[i]"Tired of being underappreciated and manipulated by powerful "others," you fight back. Though possesssing a cold, violent outside, you have a soft, scentimental inside. You love your partner, you cherish family heirlooms, and you want nothing more than to be geniunely happy -- but you don't mind having to kill a couple of nimrods who happen to clutter your path."[/i]

Yep, pretty close.

What's in the case?

I don't think it's drugs - these guys wouldn't be so transfixed by just a couple bricks of cocaine. I'm sure they've seen plenty in their days.

Gold?

Nah, that much gold would be DAMN heavy.

Jewels?

Maybe.

But in the diner after Jules opens the case to show Ringo (pumpkin), Ringo asks [i]"[red]Is THAT[/red] what I think [red]IT is[/red]"[/i] - he doesn't say [i]"[red]Are THOSE[/red] what I think [red]THEY are[/red]".[/i]

Whatever "it" is, it's most likely a single object.

So what does Jules say it is?
RINGO: What's in that?

JULES: My boss' dirty laundry.

RINGO: You boss makes you do his laundry?

JULE: When he wants it clean.
View Quote
Yep, it's Marcellus' soul.

View Quote

Maybe 'that' is an obscene amount of money, like 'a million bucks'...

As in 'Is that what I think it is?'... 'Yep, haven't you ever seen a million bucks before?'...
Link Posted: 6/8/2003 9:28:44 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
Maybe 'that' is an obscene amount of money, like 'a million bucks'...

As in 'Is that what I think it is?'... 'Yep, haven't you ever seen a million bucks before?'...
View Quote
Could be.

I wonder how large a briefcase would have to be to hold $1,000,000 if it were all in $100 bills.

That's 10,000 $100 bills.

Who's got a calculator? [:D]
Link Posted: 6/8/2003 9:37:57 PM EDT
[#47]
I read this theory on the web a few years ago and I believe this to be the best one to date.

Remember that Mrs. Wallace was a failed actress? The theory is that it is an OSCAR for Mrs. Wallace.  

Supposedly the actor that played Brett was in an older movie that involved a plot to steal the Academy Awards.

This explains the golden glow, the singular object references, and the immediate recognition by all who see it. It is L.A. and judging by Tarantino's propensity for old film references I think this theory is more than probable.

Link Posted: 6/9/2003 6:02:54 AM EDT
[#48]
The light bulb comes the closest.

[url]http://www.snopes.com/movies/films/pulp.htm[/url]
Link Posted: 6/9/2003 6:21:24 AM EDT
[#49]
What now? Lemme tell you what now. I'm gonna call up a couple a hard, pipe-hittin' n***ers and go to work on the holmes here with a pair a pliars and a blowtorch. You hear me talkin' Hillbilly Boy? I ain't through wit h you by a damn site. I'm gonna get medieval on your ass.

[url=ftp://204.213.252.2/home/dgresh/pulpfict/medieval.wav]Listen to me[/url]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top