Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/24/2005 7:03:48 AM EDT
I spent the last two days traveling into and back out of a Presidential TFR (Temporary Restricted Area). You can travel within the 30 mile radius circle if under ATC (Air Traffic Control) with a descreet squawk (Transponder Code) and Flight Service flight plan, but not within a 10 mile radius unless Military in support of SS, approved medivac, or LEO. I WATCHED as a single engine aircraft was forced to land by an F-15, Heard a second intercept (which in hindsight I may have been able to prevent by communication with the violating aircraft) and heard countless warnings of imminent restricted area incursion.

Note to self*** These guys do NOT screw around! Avoid busting a Presidential TFR.

My base airport is within the next TFR scheduled to start in one hour. What a day! Traffic was just insane today all over the valley. Planerench out.
Link Posted: 8/24/2005 7:11:15 AM EDT
[#1]
We have to deal with the TFR's all the time. Was working all over Ohio during the last months of the campaign and we were constantly having to leave areas due to the POTUS bouncing around the state. The bad part is, it is 30 miles from his present position and when he is traveling by motorcade it is difficult to know where the boundries are.
Link Posted: 8/24/2005 7:14:00 AM EDT
[#2]
Don't get caught in a published TFR. It is your responsibility as a pilot to know them. You fly into the Washington, DC ADIZ without knowing anything about it... well, tough luck. (Not talking about any single person here, just in general)
Link Posted: 8/24/2005 7:33:36 AM EDT
[#3]
File IFR.
Link Posted: 8/24/2005 7:36:13 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
We have to deal with the TFR's all the time. Was working all over Ohio during the last months of the campaign and we were constantly having to leave areas due to the POTUS bouncing around the state. The bad part is, it is 30 miles from his present position and when he is traveling by motorcade it is difficult to know where the boundries are.

Our unique problem is the TFR was on the edge of the largest wilderness area in the lower 48. We have no radar or ATC coverage over half the state below 10-11K feet. The last guy was out of a back country strip to a usually uncontrolled airport that had recently had a temp tower and TFR erected. He was monitoring 122.9 as we all do in the back country and was scared crapless when an F-15 formed up on him. I heard the warning call and the busting TFR calls on guard but the offending aircraft was not monitoring guard.....until the intercept. If I had not been flying my 8th hour yesterday I would have called him on 122.9 and warned him. As it happened, he was able to file a flight plan by radio and finish his flight while being tailed by an F-15. It was the third incursion Tuesday. The pilot had been in the back country for a couple of weeks and had no idea the TFR had been established or even that the president was in state.

In a more populated state you would not be flying out of ATC for long or be originating from an airstrip with no outside communication.
Link Posted: 8/24/2005 7:45:41 AM EDT
[#5]
Looking over and seeing an F-15 flying next to you is probably enough to scare the piss out of anyone.

What do they do if you are flying something so slow that a Fighter can't fly with you?
Link Posted: 8/24/2005 7:46:16 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
File IFR.

I was going to do just that but the only instrument approach to KMYL was IN the 10 mile no fly zone as was the approach end of 34 two hundred yards beyond the threshold. There are no IFR check points, Navaids or other recognizable IFR landmarks other than lat-longs (which I initially tryed to use) within 50 miles of the airport and the temp tower has no radar other than center (only good above 10k). Center was just as happy with a circumnav route over two small airstrips outside the 10 mile ring with a VFR flight plan. You MUST talk to Center even on the VFR plan.

On a side note, Marine One was hangared in a privately owned building adjacent to the taxi way and I got to walk within about 150 feet of it when I visited a friend who was manning the temp tower.
Link Posted: 8/24/2005 7:49:00 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
Looking over and seeing an F-15 flying next to you is probably enough to scare the piss out of anyone.

What do they do if you are flying something so slow that a Fighter can't fly with you?

Fly an orbit off your wing. Just like a pattern at an airport. The wing man stays high and behind to cover the vulnerable intercept aircraft.
Link Posted: 8/24/2005 7:51:08 AM EDT
[#8]

shoot first, ask later?
Link Posted: 8/24/2005 7:54:48 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
ADIZ

Define acronym. Given the location, I can guess what it is, but Google doesn't define the acronym.
Link Posted: 8/24/2005 7:54:57 AM EDT
[#10]
watche this happen earlier this year near St paul- the f-15 (or whatever) was doing s- turns in front/around the slow cessna.  Also shooting flares- all right over my house.

it was weird cause i heard this jet noise getting close and LOUD so i went to look an ther it was- after scaring him off he came zooming back at full throttle towards the pres. area
Link Posted: 8/24/2005 7:56:32 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

shoot first, ask later?

Just remember to keep your dogs out of the plane and everything will be ok
Link Posted: 8/24/2005 8:07:13 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

shoot first, ask later?

The last thing the Airforce and more specifically the head of the executive branch wants is to shoot down an unarmed private aircraft simply for lack of information. I do not necessarily agree with this but if uncle Festus from Idaho was flying out of Landmark airstrip after a two week archery hunt and shot down over Cascade resevoir because there was a Presidential TFR in the middle of nowhere, the press would never let it go and it would look like cowardous on the part of the President.

The current method is very flawed if you ask me though, because anyone who knew just the civilian side of the system and wished to cause damage could work the system to that end. If they did shoot down the occasional wayward aircraft we would all have guard freq cranked on the number 1 radio with the squelch turned off. Also, the USAF doesn't have a fluid communication with the FAA. The Center and Towers were swamped trying to get the info to and from the AF. The Airforce acted like they were content to handle the thing by themselves.
Link Posted: 8/24/2005 8:10:19 AM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

Quoted:
ADIZ

Define acronym. Given the location, I can guess what it is, but Google doesn't define the acronym.

air defense id zone
Link Posted: 8/24/2005 8:38:45 AM EDT
[#14]
Marine One is now enroute to the Idaho Center!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top