Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
PSA
Member Login

Site Notices
Posted: 4/27/2014 8:00:22 AM EDT
Link Posted: 4/27/2014 8:04:12 AM EDT
Thanks for the link.

I think 1930-1945 had to be the Golden Age of aviation. Such gorgeous aircraft of the time.
Link Posted: 4/27/2014 8:06:48 AM EDT

Link Posted: 4/27/2014 8:10:35 AM EDT
Very cool.
Link Posted: 4/27/2014 8:11:24 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 4/27/2014 8:11:49 AM EDT by Leisure_Shoot]
While I love me some Corsairs and Wildcats, that A-1 Skyraider picture is beautiful.

Link Posted: 4/27/2014 8:11:29 AM EDT
Thanks for the link.  Those are some terrific photos!
Link Posted: 4/27/2014 8:13:19 AM EDT
That P-38 in the foreground...

Is Glacier Girl. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Glacier_girl
Link Posted: 4/27/2014 8:24:29 AM EDT
Most of those planes are based out of Everett. Ive been lucky enough to see a fly by from one of those mustangs.

Link Posted: 4/27/2014 8:27:32 AM EDT
Awesome photos! Very inspirational work for a guy who shoots aviation photos as well! Thanks for the link!
Link Posted: 4/27/2014 8:48:22 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 4/27/2014 8:49:06 AM EDT by KILLERB6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By substandard:
Thanks for the link.

I think 1930-1945 had to be the Golden Age of aviation. Such gorgeous aircraft of the time.
View Quote

And the interesting part is, for many of the WWII birds, they designed and banged 'em together at an incredible rate.
Link Posted: 4/27/2014 9:24:11 AM EDT
Originally Posted By Leisure_Shoot:
While I love me some Corsairs and Wildcats, that A-1 Skyraider picture is beautiful.

http://i.kinja-img.com/gawker-media/image/upload/698237882683278511.jpg  
View Quote

In before the CAS crowd starts the "rebuild the A1's".
Link Posted: 4/27/2014 9:29:11 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 4/27/2014 9:29:38 AM EDT by Rogue-Sasquatch]
Originally Posted By KILLERB6:

And the interesting part is, for many of the WWII birds, they designed and banged 'em together at an incredible rate.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Thanks for the link.

I'm really, really hoping - REALLY hoping - that in the next 20-30 years, rapid prototyping and 3D printing technology gets to a point where making new 1:1 replicas of those old airframes becomes feasible.  Printed Allison and Merlin and Pratt & Whitney engine blocks, printed spars, laser-sintered propellers, extruded skin panels...

The big thing stopping new ones from being built is how hideously expensive they are to build individually versus on a massive assembly line (with an entire country geared up for war production behind that assembly line).  If we can print those labor and tooling-intensive parts instead...  
Link Posted: 4/27/2014 9:31:27 AM EDT
That Corsair is one sexy beast.
Link Posted: 4/27/2014 9:38:28 AM EDT

View All Quotes
Thanks for the link.

A real testament to the engineering and manufacturing might thrown behind them
Link Posted: 4/27/2014 2:02:21 PM EDT
Originally Posted By Rogue-Sasquatch:

I'm really, really hoping - REALLY hoping - that in the next 20-30 years, rapid prototyping and 3D printing technology gets to a point where making new 1:1 replicas of those old airframes becomes feasible.  Printed Allison and Merlin and Pratt & Whitney engine blocks, printed spars, laser-sintered propellers, extruded skin panels...

The big thing stopping new ones from being built is how hideously expensive they are to build individually versus on a massive assembly line (with an entire country geared up for war production behind that assembly line).  If we can print those labor and tooling-intensive parts instead...  
View All Quotes
Thanks for the link.

It doesn't matter how quickly you can actually design and produce something, our current acquisition system has hamstringed our ability to produce weapon systems rapidly and efficiently.
Link Posted: 4/27/2014 2:04:44 PM EDT

It doesn't matter how quickly you can actually design and produce something, our current acquisition system has hamstringed our ability to produce weapon systems rapidly and efficiently.
View All Quotes
Thanks for the link.

I'm not talking about weapons acquisition, I'm talking about reproduction - actually, new production - vintage warbirds.  I want a P-38 for a retirement toy.
Link Posted: 4/27/2014 2:09:12 PM EDT

View Quote

For the uninformed, would some one please describe the armament in this picture. Thanks in advance.
Link Posted: 4/27/2014 2:09:15 PM EDT
Originally Posted By capnrob97:
View Quote

I'm always torn between the Corsair and the Mustang...then there's the Tomahawk, that tub the Thunderbolt, and don't forget the Lightning...oh, they were all cool.
Link Posted: 4/27/2014 2:10:41 PM EDT
Link Posted: 4/27/2014 2:13:58 PM EDT

I'm not talking about weapons acquisition, I'm talking about reproduction - actually, new production - vintage warbirds.  I want a P-38 for a retirement toy.
View Quote

I happen to know where there is a P-38 for sale
Link Posted: 4/27/2014 2:16:00 PM EDT
Originally Posted By inspector-one:

For the uninformed, would some one please describe the armament in this picture. Thanks in advance.
View All Quotes

From inboard (I believe) Napalm, 250 lb low drag, 2.75" rockets, blue practice bomb, more 2.75's, and I'm not certain what is on the outboard 2 hardpoints on either wing

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 4/27/2014 2:16:32 PM EDT
Originally Posted By 396:

View All Quotes

3 million?

Link Posted: 4/27/2014 2:17:33 PM EDT
Originally Posted By LesBaer45:
[div style='margin-left: 40px;']

View All Quotes
Originally Posted By LesBaer45:
[div style='margin-left: 40px;']

Well, there are times when...
Link Posted: 4/27/2014 2:18:20 PM EDT

I'm always torn between the Corsair and the Mustang...then there's the Tomahawk, that tub the Thunderbolt, and don't forget the Lightning...oh, they were all cool.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By capnrob97:

I was a big Corsair/Mustang fan, until I learned about the Skyraider. .... If I hit the powerball, I will have one

Link Posted: 4/27/2014 2:18:57 PM EDT
Originally Posted By AJK07734:

3 million?

View All Quotes

3 million?

6.7 million http://www.trade-a-plane.com/detail/aircraft/Multi+Engine+Piston/1945/Lockheed/P38/1740958.html
Link Posted: 4/27/2014 2:37:42 PM EDT

From inboard (I believe) Napalm, 250 lb low drag, 2.75" rockets, blue practice bomb, more 2.75's, and I'm not certain what is on the outboard 2 hardpoints on either wing

View All Quotes

Thank you.
Link Posted: 4/27/2014 2:40:50 PM EDT

View All Quotes

Various forms of a 'world of hurt'.  A-1 was a serious workhorse.
Link Posted: 4/27/2014 2:40:59 PM EDT
Five of those types were overhead when I was a kid.  Brings back memories.  

Link Posted: 4/27/2014 2:45:28 PM EDT
Didn't make it to my bunk, sorry
Link Posted: 4/27/2014 4:43:10 PM EDT

Thank you.
View All Quotes

Thank you.

The inboard weapon looks like a cannon pod, and I'd love to know what the ones furthest out on the wings are. Chaff dispensers, maybe?
Top Top