Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 11/7/2011 7:46:17 PM EDT

Put 2 dozen fresh eggs in a pot with cold water. Put pot on high heat.

Bring to a boil, let boil for 5 or so minutes. Shut off heat. Let the eggs sit in the hot water for another 5 minutes.

Dump out most of the water, then run cold water into the pot for a few minutes. Fill with the cold water. Let the eggs sit in the cold water until the eggs are cold.

Peel eggs, set aside.

Heat a quart of Vinegar until it just steams. do NOT boil.

Put a couple of tablespoons of pickling spice in a cheesecloth packet.

Place in the heated vinegar, remove from heat, and let steep for 10 or so minutes.

Slice up the onion and put that and the vinegar in your container. Save the spice packet, you'll put it in the container later.

Put all the eggs and all three cans of beets, with their juice, into the container. drop the spice pack in the top. If you have to top up, add a little more vinegar.

Let pickle in the fridge for at least 5 days. 10 would be better.

You can remove the spices after 3 days, or leave it in for a stronger flavor if you like.

Turn the jar a few times during the week. Don't shake, just turn to mix the solution a bit.

Options:
Some people like the eggs spicy. If you do, add peppers.

I like a little sweet, so I add 4 packets of Splenda.

Garlic would work great. Just add a few (or a lot) smashed cloves.

Done:

Link Posted: 11/8/2011 3:17:20 AM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 11/8/2011 3:18:58 AM EDT
[#2]
I come here for great pickled eggs and you bring the pink ones.
Link Posted: 11/8/2011 3:38:36 AM EDT
[#3]
be careful with the coriander. it can ruin a great batch just by being there. use it sparingly.

pickled egges are g2g
Link Posted: 11/8/2011 4:55:16 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

Why u no like beets?
Link Posted: 11/8/2011 4:57:00 AM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 11/8/2011 4:59:05 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Why u no like beets?

Where I'm from in Michigan it was always the spicy jalapeno variety at the bars and that's the kind I like.  The beet ones are OK but not what I am used to.

Here are some I made.

Link Posted: 11/8/2011 5:07:23 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:

Why u no like beets?

Where I'm from in Michigan it was always the spicy jalapeno variety at the bars and that's the kind I like.  The beet ones are OK but not what I am used to.

Here are some I made.

http://img32.imageshack.us/img32/4005/eggst.jpg

I'm going to have to try a small batch of those.
Link Posted: 11/8/2011 5:28:18 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Why u no like beets?

Here are some I made.

http://img32.imageshack.us/img32/4005/eggst.jpg

I'm going to have to try a small batch of those.

Go easy with the jalapenos in your first batch, those eggs can get pretty hot.

Link Posted: 11/8/2011 5:37:18 AM EDT
[#9]
I've always wanted to try one but after watching The Simpsons and seeing what Moe does with his jar of pickled eggs, I have since abstained.  
Link Posted: 11/8/2011 5:39:22 AM EDT
[#10]

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 11/8/2011 5:39:24 AM EDT
[#11]
Pickled eggs.
Link Posted: 11/8/2011 5:43:24 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

Same here, i like the green ones i use to get at the river beer store. Not sure how they made them, but damn they where good.
Link Posted: 11/8/2011 5:43:44 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
I've always wanted to try one but after watching The Simpsons and seeing what Moe does with his jar of pickled eggs, I have since abstained.  

Make your own.

Start with a smaller batch...
Link Posted: 11/8/2011 5:46:21 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Same here, i like the green ones i use to get at the river beer store. Not sure how they made them, but damn they where good.

Food coloring and vinegar?
Link Posted: 11/8/2011 5:47:29 AM EDT
[#15]
I thought there was already a fart thread
Link Posted: 11/8/2011 5:47:37 AM EDT
[#16]
Never had pickled eggs before...must try.
Link Posted: 11/8/2011 5:49:50 AM EDT
[#17]
The only thing I would add is to always use fresh beets from Schrute Farms.  
Link Posted: 11/8/2011 6:11:55 AM EDT
[#18]
Man, I love making (and eating) pickled eggs, but the wife has banned the cooking part in the house.  She can't stand the vinegar.

I use onions, broccoli, cauliflower, and carrots in mine.  The veggies give the vinegar nice flavor
Link Posted: 11/8/2011 6:15:25 AM EDT
[#19]
I love eggs, but I've never eaten pickled eggs.
I love Beets, but I'm not so sure how pickled eggs and beets would taste.
I guess I'll just have to give a small batch a try.
Link Posted: 11/8/2011 6:15:47 AM EDT
[#20]
Is there a secret to peeling the eggs? I made a batch of hard-boiled eggs for pickling, and the shell just would not

come-off about the last third of the egg. They were cooked O.K. –– Just hard to peel. I used farm-fresh eggs about

a week-old. Maybe these were TOO fresh??
Link Posted: 11/8/2011 6:16:28 AM EDT
[#21]
This might make a good snow day project.
Link Posted: 11/8/2011 6:19:24 AM EDT
[#22]
pickled eggs are nasty. Im sorry i know some of you love them but they are gross.
Link Posted: 11/8/2011 6:20:54 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Is there a secret to peeling the eggs? I made a batch of hard-boiled eggs for pickling, and the shell just would not
come-off about the last third of the egg. They were cooked O.K. –– Just hard to peel. I used farm-fresh eggs about

As soon as you finish boiling them immediately immerse them in ice water till they cool.
They will peel easily then.
Link Posted: 11/8/2011 6:22:09 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
pickled eggs are nasty. Im sorry i know some of you love them but they are gross.

I dont get it either
Link Posted: 11/8/2011 6:53:56 AM EDT
[#25]
This thread needs more recipes
Link Posted: 11/8/2011 6:56:57 AM EDT
[#26]
I made a batch last week. They are all gone now.
Link Posted: 11/8/2011 6:58:42 AM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:

The best peeling eggs are older eggs.  Plan ahead and then put them in the fridge for a month or so.  The older eggs usually peel great.  If you are using fresh eggs it's different.  I have chickens and have been experimenting with cooking.  For older eggs I always add the eggs to the cold water and then heat to boiling for ten minutes then transfer to ice water.  For fresh eggs this makes impossible to peel eggs.  For the fresh ones you heat the water to boiling first then add the eggs and cook for about 12 minutes.  Then into ice water.  Most of the time these peel easily...  For the best results use old eggs.

Link Posted: 11/8/2011 7:01:40 AM EDT
[#28]
I need to make a batch, it has been a long time.  Where did I leave my egg jar?

I use a similar recipe but use hot peppers (jalapenos, maybe some serranos or Cayennes), some carrots and cauliflower instead of beets.

Heating and not boiling the vinegar is a good tip.  The first few times I made them, I figured more heat was better.  And the house stunk for days.    Just need to get the flavors going.
Link Posted: 11/8/2011 7:03:17 AM EDT
[#29]
use extra salt and keep a cold beverage of your choice handy
Link Posted: 11/8/2011 8:02:03 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

Start with cold eggs and cold water.

Bring it to a boil. Boil for 5 minutes, turn off the heat and let them sit in the water for 5 minutes.

Then pour off the water and run cold water into the pot. Cool the eggs as quickly as you can.
Link Posted: 11/8/2011 8:12:43 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

Quoted:

The best peeling eggs are older eggs.  Plan ahead and then put them in the fridge for a month or so.  The older eggs usually peel great.  If you are using fresh eggs it's different.  I have chickens and have been experimenting with cooking.  For older eggs I always add the eggs to the cold water and then heat to boiling for ten minutes then transfer to ice water.  For fresh eggs this makes impossible to peel eggs.  For the fresh ones you heat the water to boiling first then add the eggs and cook for about 12 minutes.  Then into ice water.  Most of the time these peel easily...  For the best results use old eggs.

I always use the freshest I can find. These had a sell by date of December 4.

They peeled perfectly.

I have seen tips for newest and oldest, so I don't know which of us is right LOL.

I suspect the cooking and cooling is the most important thing.
Link Posted: 11/15/2011 12:16:08 PM EDT
[#32]
Followed the OP's directions and added a sprinkle of hot banana peppers for some kick...let you know how it tastes in 10 days.
Link Posted: 11/15/2011 12:22:00 PM EDT
[#33]
Looks good.

There was an awesome pickled egg thread earlier in the year.
Link Posted: 11/15/2011 12:39:20 PM EDT
[#34]
Just a note, a dozen large AA eggs fit perfectly in a 1 quart widemouth jar.  The jumbos are a bit too much, though I imagine you could squish them in if you wanted.  Also, my experience has been that using only vinegar for the liquid makes the eggs kind of rubbery.  I normally use water to dilute, but I may have to try beet juice or something too.
Link Posted: 11/17/2011 9:16:47 PM EDT
[#35]
Done.
Added pic in the OP...
Link Posted: 11/17/2011 9:23:50 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Why u no like beets?

fuck beets.....i like the pink eggs, but toss the beets
Link Posted: 11/17/2011 9:37:02 PM EDT
[#37]
Check out the pickled egg thread in the Cooking section.

Slavac's egg thread

Also, I add a teaspoon of baking soda to the boiling water to make the eggs shell easier.
Link Posted: 11/17/2011 10:18:42 PM EDT
[#38]
I'll pretty much try eating anything at least once.  I have never tried pickled eggs though.  Seeing an unshelled egg floating in liquid is kind of unappetizing.  I still want to eventually give it a whirl though.  I'd probably be more tempted to eat the jalapeno one instead of the purple egg.
Link Posted: 11/17/2011 10:22:11 PM EDT
[#39]
Here's my recipe. It's a bit spicy, but not too bad.
* Put boiled eggs in a jar

* Add to taste:

-Chopped Jalapenos

-Minced garlic

-Chopped onion

-Salt

-Pepper

-Hot sauce (I like Tapatio)

* Fill the jar to the top with apple cider vinegar

* Let it sit for at least a week and shake it up really good once a day.
I prefer them to sit for a month so I make two batches, so I can eat one while waiting for the other

Link Posted: 11/17/2011 11:10:29 PM EDT
[#40]
I've never had pickled eggs, I'm guessing WMD?
Link Posted: 11/17/2011 11:13:17 PM EDT
[#41]
I'm going to try this later today!
Link Posted: 11/17/2011 11:17:19 PM EDT
[#42]
Jalapeno eggs are awesome. Cold beer and hot eggs FTW.
Link Posted: 11/17/2011 11:23:29 PM EDT
[#43]
At the VFW bar in Williston, ND, right next to the creepy Klansman bar, they sell pickled eggs at the bar.  They are right under the paddlefish.  
Link Posted: 11/17/2011 11:37:21 PM EDT
[#44]
Pickled eggs makes me a bit nervous, paddlefish edges me right over into scared territory. What is it?
Link Posted: 11/17/2011 11:42:19 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
Pickled eggs makes me a bit nervous, paddlefish edges me right over into scared territory. What is it?

How about pig feet?

Or sausage?
Link Posted: 11/17/2011 11:48:28 PM EDT
[#46]
Pickled? No thanks. Smoked and I'm in!
Link Posted: 11/18/2011 12:01:18 AM EDT
[#47]
Link Posted: 11/18/2011 1:32:33 AM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

x a bazillion

Link Posted: 11/18/2011 1:40:02 AM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

I was scared shitless of purple pickled eggs until I was about 30 years old and tried some in a bar after getting a few sheets to the wind.  And guess what?  I love them, red, hot, sweet.  

Load mine up with beets, they are as good as the eggs.
Link Posted: 11/18/2011 1:41:10 AM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
Here's my recipe. It's a bit spicy, but not too bad.

* Put boiled eggs in a jar
* Add to taste:
   -Chopped Jalapenos
   -Minced garlic
   -Chopped onion
   -Salt
   -Pepper
   -Hot sauce (I like Tapatio)
* Fill the jar to the top with apple cider vinegar
* Let it sit for at least a week and shake it up really good once a day.

I prefer them to sit for a month so I make two batches, so I can eat one while waiting for the other  

I'm making this today, looks like a great recipe.

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top