Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 2/21/2002 6:10:33 AM EDT
Does anyone ever read the voter's guide they receive in the mail?

I usually read all of the ballot initiative stuff, but ignore the candidate blurbs as I know who I want to vote for already. However, while eating breakfast I decided to read some of the other party's candidate blurbs. Hilarious! I almost spit my cereal out reading this stuff.

Here are some excerpts: (remember I am in the PRK)

[b]Green Party[/b]

[b]David Delano Blanco - Controller[/b] (even the men have two names in the Green party!)

[i]"I'm President of Lifelink, an international distributor of alternative nutritional supplements. As State Controller I'll audit reported payoffs made by California based UNOCAL to the Taliban made while state pension funds were heavily invested in UNOCAL"[/i]

I do not know about you all, but I'm convinced that we need some alternative supplements of some kind in Sacramento! I also love that anti-terrorist plan. We'll audit those murdering thugs, darn it, that will teach them!

[b]Peter Miguel Camejo - Governor[/b] (apparently he wants to make sure everyone knows he has a hispanic name)

[i]"As chairperson of a socially responsible investment firm,[/i] [b](READ: money losing investment advice, for which I get paid no matter how much you lose)[/b] [i]"I have worked on renewable energy, organic farming,  affordable housing, and community investments"[/i]

Bean sprout futures anyone?

[b]Glen Freeman Mowrer - Attorney General[/b]

[i]"As Attorney General, I will de-empasize punishment"[/i]

He ought to get the prison vote anyway...

[b]The Libertarian Party[/b]

I have to admit believing in many of the core values of this party, but they can be wacky.

[b]Pat Wright - Lieutenant Governor[/b]

[i]"My message to the people of California is "Don't take your freedoms for granted!" For the past ten years I have been working to legalize the domestic ferret in California. During this process I have seen how politics works in California. And it only works for those who have political power. Domestic ferrets are legal in 48 states. Our state Constitution recognizes the right to own domestic animals"[/i]

I almost busted a gut reading this one. I can see it now, marches on Sacramento to legalize ferrets. We can amend our Constitution to add the right to keep and bear ferrets.

I feel a Bud commercial in here somewhere....

Ray

Link Posted: 2/21/2002 6:21:20 AM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
I have to admit believing in many of the core values of this party, but they can be wacky.

[b]Pat Wright - Lieutenant Governor[/b]

[i]"My message to the people of California is "Don't take your freedoms for granted!" For the past ten years I have been working to legalize the domestic ferret in California. "[/i]

I almost busted a gut reading this one. I can see it now, marches on Sacramento to legalize ferrets. We can amend our Constitution to add the right to keep and bear ferrets.

View Quote

If he were TRULY a Libertarian, he would be proposing legislation protecting the right to keep and bear assault ferrets with high capacity poop chutes, and legislation preventing frivilous lawsuits against the pet sstores who sell them.

And what about CFC (Concealed Ferret Carry) permits???

And get rid of that dammed one ferret a month law.

Whadda ya expect?? Its Kali-fricken-fornia.

Link Posted: 2/21/2002 8:49:03 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
If he were TRULY a Libertarian, he would be proposing legislation protecting the right to keep and bear assault ferrets with high capacity poop chutes, and legislation preventing frivilous lawsuits against the pet sstores who sell them.

View Quote

Spoken like a true conservative, who believes that laws have to be passed to "protect" and quantify freedoms;  rather than having no law at all about something, thereby allowing true freedom.
Link Posted: 2/21/2002 11:54:20 PM EDT
[#3]
I have to crack the booklet tonight.

Whatever happened to the initiative to add a "none of the above" for each office?  The votes weren't going to count, but would be fun for those contests where nobody any good ran, and you didn't feel like casting a write-in vote for yourself.

Link Posted: 2/22/2002 3:48:25 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Quoted:

View Quote

Spoken like a true conservative, who believes that laws have to be passed to "protect" and quantify freedoms;  rather than having no law at all about something, thereby allowing true freedom.
View Quote

Surely you realize my post was in jest. Otherwise, I suggest you get off teh Achmed-ication. [}:D] I mean "high capacity poop chutes?" Pretty obvious sarcasm on my part. I didn't even think an emoticon was necessary.

I wasn't taking a shot at Libertarians. Tho if you are one, you sure make them seem whiny.

If you read the above, you'll notice the guy who calls HIMSELF a Libertarian is the ONE TRYING TO PASS LEGISLATION. Ya know, the all-important Ferret Protection Act. But then I guess actually READING something is a bit of a lost art.

[rolleyes]

Link Posted: 2/22/2002 3:53:25 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Spoken like a true conservative, who believes that laws have to be passed to "protect" and quantify freedoms;
View Quote

Uhh, yeah, Achmed. Its called the "Bill of rights." You may have heard of it????

rather than having no law at all about something, thereby allowing true freedom.
View Quote

Really. Like theres nobody thats REALLY mean enuf out there to attack our freedoms. Yup. Everybody is peaches and cream, sugar and spice and everything nice. [rolleyes]

OF COURSE it must be done judiciously, but YES, laws SHOULD be made to protect certain essential liberties.

Like legislation outlawing these frivilous lawsuits against gun manufacturers, protecting their ESSENTIAL LIBERTY to the ability to earn an honest living.

Link Posted: 2/22/2002 4:15:02 AM EDT
[#6]
Apologies to the board, but Achemd set me off. Apologies to 240z for his wonderful humerous post that has now gotten hijacked. I didn't want to go here, but somebody had to make this into a Libertarian vs. the world thing.

Yup Achmed-

That Libertarian principle of "No law = freedom" sure worked well in Commiefornia.

Did you know that RKBA is NOT enumerated by law in the Kali state constitution?? RKBA is NOT protected by law in Kali. Did you know that??

Yup - NOT having a law sure made the Kali patriots "truly free." Free to have their freedoms TAKEN because there WAS NO LAW PROTECTING THEIR FREEDOMS.

Sometimes this Libertarian mentality to me seems just plain old naieve and dumb.

What a lousy way for me to waste my 5,000th post. But I'm afraid these Libertarians are gonna "liberty" us right into slavery. It sure worked out that way re: Kali RKBA.

[rolleyes]

Hopefully YOUR post was also in jest, and I somehow missed the sarcasm. Hopefully.

BTW having no laws does NOT equal freedom. It equals anarchy and the eventual loss of freedoms.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top