Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 4
Link Posted: 10/27/2020 4:45:28 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Someone else posted it but I'll say it also...

As a guy who turned wrenches for 30 years making a living, I can't
stand pin socket retention. Even leaving a short 1" extension on all
the time is kind a pain in the ass after a while.

That said, as a Dewalt fanboy myself the price on this combo is
really good if you can live with pin !
View Quote

You can easily use a sanding drum in a dremel to knock it down so it works like a regular ball detent.
Link Posted: 10/27/2020 4:49:30 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
It's a good deal but just keep in mind how big these are before you buy one, for a lot of compact cars you cant fit this thing anywhere near the engine.  maybe the subframe, suspension, brakes,  but thats it.

It's a good tool for taking to the junk yard and whatnot,  but at home I'd rather use corded or air tools.

maybe 3/8 smaller size, air to get into those tight spots.

it all depends on what you need
battery tools are a lot bigger and heavier than their air counterparts. and the air tools have the same power and fit into smaller areas.

View Quote

This is 1/2 drive bro.     It’s for tires, underbody bolts, snowplows, etc.

But you have an excellent point:     Can anyone recommend a battery powered 3/8 or 1/4 drive that isn't much bigger than a normal ratchet?
Link Posted: 10/27/2020 4:51:26 PM EDT
[#3]
I'm only $150 invested into Dewalt, but I have a drill, impact, circular saw, and a sawzall.  I've been eying the Milwaukee, but this deal is too good.  I could use another Dewalt battery as well.
Link Posted: 10/27/2020 4:53:04 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Is DeWalt still made by Black & Decker or was that just a rumor?
View Quote

B&D is the parent company for DeWalt for decades. The first DeWalt tools were also B&D’s industrial line.  I believe they owned Rockwell, Porter Cable and Delta for awhile too. B&D merged with Stanley in 2010, both were pretty large conglomerates before the merger.
Link Posted: 10/27/2020 4:58:59 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

Return and re-buy?
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Fuck me. Just bought one a week ago at normal price. Oh well.

Return and re-buy?
Already threw the box away, wrote my name on it with a permanent marker, and used it to swap a broken front axleshaft on my jeep

Actually have two now. This new one is to keep in the jeep for faster trail repairs. Been breaking more stuff lately.

Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 10/27/2020 5:00:53 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Already threw the box away, wrote my name on it with a permanent marker, and used it to swap a broken front axleshaft on my jeep

Actually have two now. This new one is to keep in the jeep for faster trail repairs. Been breaking more stuff lately.

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/316047/IMG_4197_jpg-1656719.JPG
View Quote

Buy the new one.

Return the new one using your old receipt.
Link Posted: 10/27/2020 5:02:13 PM EDT
[#7]
I use this combo daily at work. I average 20 hours of labor a day working on Honda. The battery lasts me 3 days on average. Unless I’ve got a long extension and a wobble on it this will do 95 percent of what I need a half inch for. I use air for the rest.
Link Posted: 10/27/2020 5:02:47 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

This is 1/2 drive bro.     It's for tires, underbody bolts, snowplows, etc.

But you have an excellent point:     Can anyone recommend a battery powered 3/8 or 1/4 drive that isn't much bigger than a normal ratchet?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
It's a good deal but just keep in mind how big these are before you buy one, for a lot of compact cars you cant fit this thing anywhere near the engine.  maybe the subframe, suspension, brakes,  but thats it.

It's a good tool for taking to the junk yard and whatnot,  but at home I'd rather use corded or air tools.

maybe 3/8 smaller size, air to get into those tight spots.

it all depends on what you need
battery tools are a lot bigger and heavier than their air counterparts. and the air tools have the same power and fit into smaller areas.

This is 1/2 drive bro.     It's for tires, underbody bolts, snowplows, etc.

The Milwaukee M12 ratchets are about as close as you'll find.
Link Posted: 10/27/2020 5:11:03 PM EDT
[#9]
I've got Makita’s drill set, Ryobi drill set and Dewalt setup.

My favorite is Makita, then Dewalt and Ryobi.

The Makita’s and dewalts are just beast they seem to never stop working. I have more Ryobi tools than any because of price. From the drills, saws, lights, radio, little chop saw.

To be fair though I have the 18v dewalt not the new 20v max xr seems to be an animal with it's specs

But Ryobi just does not seem to have the ump these others have.

Link Posted: 10/27/2020 5:13:33 PM EDT
[#10]
I think I will get one.
Link Posted: 10/27/2020 5:37:02 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

The Makita’s and dewalts are just beast they seem to never stop working. I have more Ryobi tools than any because of price. From the drills, saws, lights, radio, little chop saw.

To be fair though I have the 18v dewalt not the new 20v max xr seems to be an animal with it's specs

View Quote

I have a bunch of Ryobi stuff and was looking at their impact. I want it for lug nuts. The most powerful one they make puts out 300lb/ft. and cost $140. Kind of surprised Milwaukee hasn't rubbed off on them a little more in the impact department.
Link Posted: 10/27/2020 5:54:46 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

I have a bunch of Ryobi stuff and was looking at their impact. I want it for lug nuts. The most powerful one they make puts out 300lb/ft. and cost $140. Kind of surprised Milwaukee hasn't rubbed off on them a little more in the impact department.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yeah thanks man. You owe me $212...  I’ve already got 14 Ryobi tools, 8 batteries, 6 chargers...
Now you made me buy into a whole new universe.  
Link Posted: 10/27/2020 5:55:55 PM EDT
[#13]
No Milwaukee no care.
Link Posted: 10/27/2020 5:57:37 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

View Quote

Quoted:

Buy the new one.

View Quote

Wakeboarder is smart man.

Also, time for some bigger axles.
Link Posted: 10/27/2020 6:03:24 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

My crew have been using DeWalt 20v Max professionally since they came out with it, haven’t worn out a tool or a battery since, there’s nothing wrong with them.  Some of them are beat to shit but still run like champs, haven’t even worn out the non-brushless versions.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Pfff... get this or gtfo. I have a 1/2” drive unit that breaks lug nuts free no problem.

https://images-na.ssl-images-amazon.com/images/I/71tnuvXAN-L._AC_SL1500_.jpg

My crew have been using DeWalt 20v Max professionally since they came out with it, haven’t worn out a tool or a battery since, there’s nothing wrong with them.  Some of them are beat to shit but still run like champs, haven’t even worn out the non-brushless versions.

Agree with this. When you have to break out the 3/4 air gun then you should probably just get the torch and use the half inch cordless anyway. It's all brand loyalty when you get into the really nice stuff. They all work just as good as each other, numbers are there to look cool in the catalog. Former diesel mechanic here.

Edit: We used Milwaukee shit. ?????
Link Posted: 10/27/2020 6:10:28 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

Yeah thanks man. You owe me $212...  I’ve already got 14 Ryobi tools, 8 batteries, 6 chargers...
Now you made me buy into a whole new universe.  
View Quote

In imagining a world where all the colors can love in harmony.  Got a space ready for the battery.
Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 10/27/2020 6:19:45 PM EDT
[#17]
Nice gun.

I'd probably get the Milwaukee for 50 more and the battery.
Link Posted: 10/27/2020 7:05:03 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

View Quote

Link Posted: 10/27/2020 7:06:57 PM EDT
[#19]
If you are not already setup with dewalt cordless stuff. The milwaukee “surge” impact is the bees knees.
Link Posted: 10/27/2020 7:23:37 PM EDT
[#20]
Home depot killing it in the shipping dept.
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 10/27/2020 7:51:36 PM EDT
[#21]
Deleted for security
Link Posted: 10/27/2020 7:54:44 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Deleted for security
View Quote

You shouldn't buy it because you love dragging extension cords around looking for an outlet to fuck
Link Posted: 10/27/2020 7:54:54 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

In imagining a world where all the colors can love in harmony.  Got a space ready for the battery.
https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/309434/20201027_180831_1__jpg-1656818.JPG
View Quote

Yeah I must have 14 Ryobi batteries lol everytime they go on sale

The Ryobi spot light friggin rocks. That thing put out light. Got fan too lol bought the 8 battery bank charger to. Plus has charges my cell phone too.
Link Posted: 10/27/2020 8:01:25 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
View Quote

It's Stanley Black & Decker, actually. But yeah.
Link Posted: 10/27/2020 8:02:57 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

B&D is the parent company for DeWalt for decades. The first DeWalt tools were also B&D’s industrial line.  I believe they owned Rockwell, Porter Cable and Delta for awhile too. B&D merged with Stanley in 2010, both were pretty large conglomerates before the merger.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

https://www.stanleyblackanddecker.com/our-businesses/our-brands
Link Posted: 10/27/2020 8:09:41 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

My employer recently bought an impact torque testing machine to see when their assembly tools need to be rebuilt, so naturally we all brought in our tools to try out. In the small sample size we had, the yellow and red teams were basically identical, Ryobi sucked major donkey balls, but no one actually put up the torque numbers they were claiming.

IIRC we basically got:

Milwaukee M18 Fuel 1/2" and Dewalt brushless 1/2" - 450ft-lbs
Herculese 1/2" 18V - 350ft-lbs
Ryobi 1/2" 18V - 225ft-lbs
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Pfff... get this or gtfo. I have a 1/2” drive unit that breaks lug nuts free no problem.

My employer recently bought an impact torque testing machine to see when their assembly tools need to be rebuilt, so naturally we all brought in our tools to try out. In the small sample size we had, the yellow and red teams were basically identical, Ryobi sucked major donkey balls, but no one actually put up the torque numbers they were claiming.

IIRC we basically got:

Milwaukee M18 Fuel 1/2" and Dewalt brushless 1/2" - 450ft-lbs
Herculese 1/2" 18V - 350ft-lbs
Ryobi 1/2" 18V - 225ft-lbs

Anyone try Ridgid or Makita?
Link Posted: 10/27/2020 8:20:44 PM EDT
[#27]
Red race checking in.

For real though if it makes you happy go for it. But Im red or dead.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 10/27/2020 9:22:19 PM EDT
[#28]
I fent...

Arfcom costing me money again...  
Link Posted: 10/28/2020 5:43:52 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

It is $249 for impact and a 5.0 battery is a steal.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
My stuff is all Milwaukee so I'm holdin out for a sale on the high torque 1/2".

I'd also like a 1/4" impact, not ratchet.

It is $249 for impact and a 5.0 battery is a steal.

Yeah, I see that deal a lot but I'm in no hurry so I'm kinda hangin around till BF to see if anything pops up.  
Link Posted: 10/28/2020 5:50:21 AM EDT
[#30]
Milwaukee Master Race
Link Posted: 10/28/2020 5:56:15 AM EDT
[#31]
Fuck pin retention, I'd rather just use a breaker bar.  Hog ring or nothing.
Link Posted: 10/28/2020 6:00:45 AM EDT
[#32]
We have one and we use it more than our pneumatic.  It’s strong enough to twist 1/2 lugs if you are not careful.
Link Posted: 10/28/2020 6:28:57 AM EDT
[#33]
I have one of these. Works well and I have no complaints. Had it for the last 4 years I think.
Link Posted: 10/28/2020 8:17:32 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
View Quote

Black and Decker had an industrial line of power tools 20 years ago and they were
very good tools, I still have a B and D sawzall.  Dewalt bought that division of B and D back then.

I used to be in the tool business and I remember the day our rep came in to introduce the line.
He had a Black and Decker T shirt, of course it was black, and after telling us about the acquisition,
he took off his B and D shirt and had a yellow Dewalt shirt on underneath.
Link Posted: 10/28/2020 8:19:06 AM EDT
[#35]
I have that with the 60v battery from homey d on their special deals. Works really nice, it's not brushless but it's still good as I am a weekend warrior only.
Link Posted: 10/28/2020 8:28:52 AM EDT
[#36]
Milwaukee but no battery

no battery 1/2"
Link Posted: 10/28/2020 8:34:49 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
Milwaukee but no battery

no battery 1/2"
View Quote

That’s a knock off battery for sale with a misleading title

Did you really think you could get a $250 tool for $50?
Link Posted: 10/28/2020 8:48:58 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:

Buy the new one.

That's a dana 60! It mostly holds up. It's a balljoint model off of an 06 F-350. I just installed balljoint eliminators though, so it shouldn't do that anymore. I'll definitely still break shafts though with 43" stickies.
Link Posted: 10/28/2020 8:53:13 AM EDT
[#39]
That is a good deal.  I have an air powered IR brand that gets done what i need to do.  If the need for an impact arose more often I’d be all over that.
Link Posted: 10/28/2020 9:04:09 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

View Quote

Buy the 100% China product?
Link Posted: 10/28/2020 9:56:06 AM EDT
[#41]
Looks like Lowes has the same deal.  Great impact.  The DCF894B is a nice one too.  A little less balls, but lighter and handier.  I rarely touch the 899 after picking up the 894.  It has yet to disappoint me.  Lowes also has a 2 pack of the 20v 5ah batteries with charger and tool bag for $199.  Thats a lot of fuel and HP for $200. Having owned both brands and frequent usage, I am one of the guys that actually prefers Dewalt over Milwaukee.  The $99 20V drill packages make great Christmas gifts!
Link Posted: 10/28/2020 10:20:25 AM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
I feel like I need this, but not sure why.

I have dewalt 20v tools already including a drill and 1/4" impact.

What would I use the 1/2 for besides lug nuts?
View Quote

I've used it to pull blades from my mower, leaf spring and shackle bolts, engine mounts, putting in really big lags in outdoor wood projects, etc.  I have a 1/4" too that gets used for most things, but when you don't want to mess around, bring the big guns out.
Link Posted: 10/28/2020 11:08:16 AM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

I've used it to pull blades from my mower, leaf spring and shackle bolts, engine mounts, putting in really big lags in outdoor wood projects, etc.  I have a 1/4" too that gets used for most things, but when you don't want to mess around, bring the big guns out.
View Quote

Thanks.  I fent last night, looking forward to finding uses for it
Link Posted: 10/28/2020 11:18:06 AM EDT
[#44]
Already have a Milwaukee but yeah, that deal went viral on Slickdeals pretty hard.
Link Posted: 10/28/2020 11:20:07 AM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
I feel like I need this, but not sure why.

I have dewalt 20v tools already including a drill and 1/4" impact.

What would I use the 1/2 for besides lug nuts?
View Quote

when you put on a suspension lift... a 1/4inch isn't enough to take off brake parts, strut bolts, and my dewalt 1/4 runs out of torque at about 75 ft/lb ish. I had stuff that needed torqued to 110...

Or when you REALLLY hate a bolt and want twist it in half... cuz oyu know reasons...
Link Posted: 10/28/2020 11:23:13 AM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

You don’t?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
I have one.  It's awesome.  Of course Dewalt 20v and Flexvolt is the platform I've adopted.

I keep it in my truck 24/7 along with a floor jack.  I'm like a Nascar pit crew...

This tool and the 60V table saw are my favorites (bought for less than batteries cost that came with it on previous deal of the day).

you keep a floor jack in your truck?

You don’t?

THIS^^ soon as you put bigger tires, any sort of suspension upgrades, or lift ect in your rig your factory screw jack frequently stops being useful. since you need an extension to make yours useful again, why not go for the full monty and have abiltiy to do more than just mess around? plus they slip less.(tohugh in a CUV im more space limited and need an extension for my jack..)

Link Posted: 10/28/2020 11:35:51 AM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

THIS^^ soon as you put bigger tires, any sort of suspension upgrades, or lift ect in your rig your factory screw jack frequently stops being useful. since you need an extension to make yours useful again, why not go for the full monty and have abiltiy to do more than just mess around? plus they slip less.(tohugh in a CUV im more space limited and need an extension for my jack..)

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
I have one.  It's awesome.  Of course Dewalt 20v and Flexvolt is the platform I've adopted.

I keep it in my truck 24/7 along with a floor jack.  I'm like a Nascar pit crew...

This tool and the 60V table saw are my favorites (bought for less than batteries cost that came with it on previous deal of the day).

you keep a floor jack in your truck?

You don’t?

I keep surplus HMMWV scissor jacks in my lifted vehicles - heavy duty yet still compact and tall enough to lift wheels.

I tried to fo yesterday but the Home Depot website kept glitching out with my credit card info and wouldn't let me complete the check-out process. Maybe I'll try again today. I've needed one of these for years but always procrastinated purchasing one.
Link Posted: 10/28/2020 11:48:06 AM EDT
[#48]
Wife just got some milwakee cordless screw driver and smaller impact at home depot.  That thing is pretty sweet.  Friend also has the bigger impact version he uses at work and said they r better than his snap-ons.  So I ended up getting the home depot deal where it was the bigger 18v versions that came with 2 batteries and charger.
Link Posted: 10/28/2020 11:53:21 AM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

I keep surplus HMMWV scissor jacks in my lifted vehicles - heavy duty yet still compact and tall enough to lift wheels.

I tried to fo yesterday but the Home Depot website kept glitching out with my credit card info and wouldn't let me complete the check-out process. Maybe I'll try again today. I've needed one of these for years but always procrastinated purchasing one.
View Quote

Yep. I keep an RV scissor jack in mine. Light, compact, proven.
Link Posted: 10/28/2020 11:58:59 AM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

View Quote

same uses as you.  I bought my 1/2 impact when I bought a new trailer and needed to adjust it for the boat.  made it real easy.  i use 1/4 for little stuff.  I might get a 3/8.  I'm not sure.  I might just keep using my air ratchet.  

Harbor Freight master race checking in.
Page / 4
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top