Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 12/8/2002 1:21:39 PM EDT
STERLING, Colorado (AP) -- Toys placed in a drop-off box for charity at a Wal-Mart wound up back on the store shelves after a mix-up that frustrated organizers.

With 10 days left until the end of the annual Toys for Tots drive for the Logan County Chamber of Commerce, organizer Susan Kraich said she was back at square one.

But by late Wednesday, things were looking up -- with $425 worth of toys in hand for delivery.

The roller-coaster charity drive began its wild ride over the weekend.

"I've been keeping an eye on that box every time I went to Wal-Mart, and was so excited as it slowly began to fill. Over the weekend I heard that it was nearly full, so I went to pick it up. I was devastated when I found it empty," Kraich said.

Kraich said she complained to store management, but was told the store would only replace the items she knew for a fact were in the box. She was only able to replace three toys.

"I don't know how I am suppose to prove what was in there ... I thought since Wal-Mart agreed to place the box, they were agreeing to keep an eye on it," she said.

Wal-Mart manager Brad Barritt said the Toys for Tots organizer he met, whose name he could not remember, was instructed that donated items needed to be wrapped in Wal-Mart bags to ensure the items had been purchased.

Kraich, who works for First America Cash Advance, denied ever receiving any such instruction.

Since store officials didn't know if the gifts had been bought or not -- and no video camera was trained on the box -- Barritt said he decided to place all the toys back on the shelves for resale.

Barritt noted that the retailer is a regular benefactor to area clubs and organizations, donating more than $50,000 annually. Wal-Mart even offered a $1,000 cash grant to Toys for Tots this year.

"Not that that has anything to do with this situation. Only to say that, as a corporation, we are very community minded. I'd hate to see a discrepancy over a few toys change that perception in the eyes of the public," Barritt said.

Link Posted: 12/8/2002 1:24:36 PM EDT
[#1]
Poor move by the [b]LOCAL[/b] Wal*Mart, if true. You forgot the link.....

Scott

Link Posted: 12/8/2002 1:30:53 PM EDT
[#2]
People who shop at Walmart get what they deserve.
Link Posted: 12/8/2002 1:42:14 PM EDT
[#3]
Okay, they know what was in that box, as well as who took them from said box.

Do you believe that a large chain store like WalMart does not have cameras surveilling the entrance and exits? (Not trained on it is a nice excuse)

Someone did screw up, and they know who it was.

Meplat-
Link Posted: 12/8/2002 1:48:16 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 12/8/2002 1:48:28 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 12/8/2002 3:36:54 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 12/8/2002 5:20:30 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

Scott

View Quote

Edited on the sage advice of 7IDL.
[url]http://www.cnn.com/2002/US/Central/12/07/offbeat.walmart.toydrive.ap/index.html[/url]
Link Posted: 12/8/2002 5:28:38 PM EDT
[#8]
Don't take it personal Tommy, It doesn't look like he meant it personal.

Most posts like this "should" be accompanied by a link to a website where it's legitimacy can be verified.  Simple procedure which has been followed for as long as I can remember.
Link Posted: 12/8/2002 7:56:52 PM EDT
[#9]
We never drop at a store box.

All of our drops have been at local Fire Stations or PD's, That way you can also tell them Thanks for being there.
Link Posted: 12/9/2002 12:04:36 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Scott

View Quote

Edited on the sage advice of 7IDL.
[url]http://www.cnn.com/2002/US/Central/12/07/offbeat.walmart.toydrive.ap/index.html[/url]
View Quote

I am sorry. I was half-asleep and I slurred my comments. Two seperate things.

If the Wal*Mart actually did what TFT said they did, that is a bad thing. (Just qualifying it with the innocent until proven guilty thing.)

You forgot to link us. People just usually do that, although you did post what appears to be a whole news story.....

Scott

[url]http://www.banknotes.com/JP100.JPG[/url]

EDIT: Half-asleep again. can't speel "usualyl".....

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top