Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Site Notices
9/22/2017 12:11:25 AM
Posted: 7/1/2001 6:39:46 AM EDT
My granddad was an infantry captain in WWII, and he fought in N. Africa and Italy. Which rifle is he more likely to have carried? M1 Garand, M1 Carbine, or just a sidearm? The reason I ask is that I am going to make a display box for my son that will have my grandads garrison cap, dogtags, orders, etc., and the weapon he most likely carried. Thanks for the help.
Link Posted: 7/2/2001 12:30:28 AM EDT
I would tend to think if he was in an infantry unit the M1 would be your safest guess. The M1 carbine was generally more common with the support units. I wouldnt think he would just be carrying a pistol. If it was me and I had the money I would put the M1 and the pistol in the display. Sounds like a cool idea. My Grandfather diddnt fight in the war, he was a welder in the shipyards. I still have his welders mask hanging up.
Link Posted: 7/2/2001 1:42:54 PM EDT
My father carried a Mauser 98K.
Link Posted: 7/2/2001 2:04:06 PM EDT
Thanks Atencio, that's kind of what I figured. Vietnam history is more my thing, so that's the reason for the question. That's cool about your granddaddy and the welder's mask. I'm just now getting into WWII history, and what amazes me most is the effort on the home front. Sadly, if the same circumstances were to occur today, I don't see the same level of support/sacrifice happening.
Link Posted: 7/2/2001 4:54:30 PM EDT
My father was born in 1907 and attempted to enlist in the Navy after Pearl Harbor - experience in the Merchant Marine - but was turned down because he was a class A machinest at United States Steel. He spent the war making grenade pins & shell casings. John
Link Posted: 7/2/2001 9:38:05 PM EDT
hey another thing you could do is get one of those fake Thompsons that look like a real one and put that up in the display. In all the movies, officers always have thompsons. Then you could give the M1 to your son to shoot.
Link Posted: 7/3/2001 5:42:30 AM EDT
IMA sells Thompson kits and dummy receivers. I have one of their dummy MP-40's in my display case and it looks incredible.
Link Posted: 7/3/2001 7:50:00 AM EDT
Thanks for the ideas. I'm gonna go with the Garand.
Link Posted: 7/3/2001 3:00:38 PM EDT
Originally Posted By Atencio: My Grandfather diddnt fight in the war, he was a welder in the shipyards. I still have his welders mask hanging up.
View Quote
My Grandfather did the same thing. He went into the Army but ended up with a medical discharge. He ended up in Portland, Oregon and was a welder in the shipyards till after the war. After he died I found his goggles in a shoebox and my Grandmother let me keep them. They look like spectacles with green lenses and leather shields on the sides.
Link Posted: 7/10/2001 10:24:16 AM EDT
Infantry captain would imply he was a company commander. Would almost certainly been issued a 1911. What else he carried is good question. At the time of North Africa carbines were still fairly new. Even Garands were in short supply at that time, a number of US troops went ashore with 1903's. By the time Italy rolled around, my guess would have been carbine. Carbines saw far more combat that many realize, especially in the Pacific. Whether that was a good idea or not is another debate. As a company commander his job would have been to direct his troops in firefight, and not engage in personal combat much himself. No doubt there were times, many times, when he had to do so, but his primary function was direction and communication. I'd go with the 1911. Just my 2 cents.
Link Posted: 7/10/2001 1:50:14 PM EDT
i'd wager that the it would either be a m1 carbine or a m1911. the purpose of the m1 carine was to give officers a pistol with more reach. of the two the carbine would be my recommendation, though he most likely carried whatever he wanted steve
Link Posted: 7/27/2001 8:55:55 AM EDT
My Dad was a machine gunner's assistant(or whatever you call it) and than a gunner. They DID NOT like the M1 carbine at all. He carried a Garand when he was the loader despite the extra weight and a 1911 when he was a gunner. My point is, your Grandad may not have thought much of the Carbine and lugged the Garand around.
Link Posted: 7/29/2001 10:15:45 AM EDT
Company grade infantry officer probably carried the 1911 or 1911A1 and the Garand while on the move. Most likely set the Garand aside while commanding the company in a CP. Carbine was more prevalent in the artillery, transportation, and parachute outfits. Thompson was more likely in the hands of folks at the platoon/squad level. Some officers were issued revolvers (.45's and .38's) although the 1911/1911A was by far the most common.
Link Posted: 7/30/2001 3:50:49 PM EDT
Since he was infantry, my guess is that he had a longarm to go along with the 1911A1. The carbine came out in '42, so most likely he had the Garand in Africa. Probably had the carbine in Italy. My dad's close friend was a Marine in WW2. He started out with a Garand, then was issued a carbine. He carried a 1911, as well--not issue, given to him by his father. He once told me about walking along on Okinawa, and seeing a Japanese poke up from a concealed spider hole at a great distance like 5 feet. I didn't ask what he did, and now it's too late to ask.
Link Posted: 7/31/2001 10:09:37 PM EDT
Go with the Garand and the 1911. Dad was also in on all those invasions.He had a Garand and he was a cook in the Army Air Corp.He trained on the 1903 in basic,but said they turned all them all over to the Brit's when they got off the boat in England. He never said anything about a shortage of M1's.
Link Posted: 8/1/2001 3:00:19 PM EDT
My neighbor was an infantry officer and served in N. Africa and Europe from Normandy on. He started out as a squad leader in N. Africa and got a field commission before leaving there. He tells me that company grade officers usually carried 1911's and, occasionally, M1 carbines or Thompsons. As a squad leader he carried a Thompson and continued to do so after receiving his commission until being 'called on the carpet' by his regimental commander post-Normandy and told that 'my company commanders are LEADERS, not soldiers. Give that Thompson to a platoon sargeant, draw a carbine and get to the work of leading'. He used the Thompson many times but never fired his carbine in battle as he preferred to use his 1911. His opinion is that, considering the facts of your post, your Grandpop PROBABLY carried an M1 Carbine and a 1911. Hope this helps. CB
Top Top