Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 10/17/2004 7:29:37 PM EDT
I'm not a "Die Hard" fan of country music, but what's the deal with country music. Since CMT, Country Music Television, is owned by VH1 it's becoming progressively more rock and roll oriented. There's songs like "Save a Horse, Ride a Cowboy", Tim McGraw is now doing songs with the rapper Nelly, the content of the songs are either more "pussyish" or just plain "Rock N' Roll". When will new generation greats arise, the kind of individuals to rival Johnny Cash, Charlie Daniels, etc. I'm a fan of both rock and country, but doesn't a style of music lose its appeal when it begins to stop being a style and rather an imitation of another style? Anyways, I'm just wondering where the country of old went: intricate and morally grounded music that was rich with intelligible content.

Flame on.
Link Posted: 10/17/2004 7:30:12 PM EDT
[#1]
HEE HAW!!!
Link Posted: 10/17/2004 7:31:11 PM EDT
[#2]
"16 Tons"

[1vsl]
Some people say a man is made out of mud well a poor man's made outta
muscle and blood..Muscle and blood and skin and bone..and a mind
that's weak..but a back thats strong.
[2vs]
And he was born one morning when the sun didn't shine..
He picked up his shovel and he went to the mines
He loaded 16 tons of that number 9 coal..Til-
the Straw boss said Well-uh b-less my soul!
[CHR]
You load 16 tons and whaddaya get??
another day older and deeper in dept
Saint Peter don'tcha call me 'Cause-
I can't go...I owe my soul to the Company
Store
[3vs]
So if you see him coming..you better step aside,-
Alot of men didn't and alot of men died.
He's got one fist of iron, and the other of
steel..And if the right one doesn't get you..
Then the night one will...
[CHR]
Link Posted: 10/17/2004 7:31:15 PM EDT
[#3]
Said it once, here it is again...

www.khyi.com

Better than anything else "country" on the radio.

-hanko
Link Posted: 10/17/2004 7:31:54 PM EDT
[#4]
I like the country rock mix. What I hate is Rascal Flatts and their kind. Thats not country music, its bad pop.
Link Posted: 10/17/2004 7:31:57 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
HEE HAW!!!

Link Posted: 10/17/2004 7:32:43 PM EDT
[#6]
Garth Brooks killed country music.  
Link Posted: 10/17/2004 7:33:21 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
I like the country rock mix. What I hate is Rascal Flatts and their kind. Thats not country music, its bad pop.

I agree, I think they need to grow some balls and strive to be more like Toby Keith
Link Posted: 10/17/2004 7:34:19 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

No, he made it popular. I like Garth Brooks' music.
Link Posted: 10/17/2004 7:34:29 PM EDT
[#9]
I started listening to country when the grunge crap hit. Now I'm listening to retro 80's music stations now that country has went to crap.
Link Posted: 10/17/2004 7:40:57 PM EDT
[#10]
<Racist comment removed>
Link Posted: 10/17/2004 7:41:05 PM EDT
[#11]
Does anyone know the name of a song sung by a woman and it's recounting all the people that she meets that used to go to her high school. One is a guy that used to "run dirt track" until he flipped his car. And it's just a listing of people that had a plan for life and then it didn't work out, and yet they are still happy? Thought it was Lee Ann Womack but I was wrong. ...
Link Posted: 10/17/2004 7:46:36 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

I disagree.  Garth is more country than most of the shit on country radio these days.  He just made it insanely popular again after the late 70's/early 80's.

Remember the Alamo, and God Bless Texas...
Link Posted: 10/17/2004 7:48:43 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
"16 Tons"

[1vsl]
Some people say a man is made out of mud well a poor man's made outta
muscle and blood..Muscle and blood and skin and bone..and a mind
that's weak..but a back thats strong.
[2vs]
And he was born one morning when the sun didn't shine..
He picked up his shovel and he went to the mines
He loaded 16 tons of that number 9 coal..Til-
the Straw boss said Well-uh b-less my soul!
[CHR]
You load 16 tons and whaddaya get??
another day older and deeper in dept
Saint Peter don'tcha call me 'Cause-
I can't go...I owe my soul to the Company
Store
[3vs]
So if you see him coming..you better step aside,-
Alot of men didn't and alot of men died.
He's got one fist of iron, and the other of
steel..And if the right one doesn't get you..
Then the night one will...
[CHR]

Weird - I've never seen that song in the third person before.

You forgot a verse:

I was born one morning it was drizzling rain
Fighting and trouble are my middle name
I was raised in the canebreak by an old mama lion
Can't no high tone woman make me walk the line
Link Posted: 10/17/2004 7:50:48 PM EDT
[#14]
if you are tired of mainstream country, and like the sound of the older stuff you really should check out Texas music....or texas country... people like cory morrow, robert earl keen, chris knight, jason boland, or kevin fowler ...there is a world of texas music out there, but its kinda hard to find...its good shit though.
Link Posted: 10/17/2004 7:51:30 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I disagree.  Garth is more country than most of the shit on country radio these days.  He just made it insanely popular again after the late 70's/early 80's.

Remember the Alamo, and God Bless Texas...

I agree - to a point.  "Much too young to feel this damn old" is one of the greatest Country songs ever written.  Still, some of his other stuff is pretty annoying, and seems to only have been done for marketing reasons.
Link Posted: 10/17/2004 7:55:37 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:
Does anyone know the name of a song sung by a woman and it's recounting all the people that she meets that used to go to her high school. One is a guy that used to "run dirt track" until he flipped his car. And it's just a listing of people that had a plan for life and then it didn't work out, and yet they are still happy? Thought it was Lee Ann Womack but I was wrong. ...

That was Tammy Cochran's "Life Happened"
Link Posted: 10/17/2004 7:56:46 PM EDT
[#17]
THANK YOU!!
Link Posted: 10/17/2004 7:56:52 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:
<Removed>

SGatr15

yo hommie lets be up down home boys go do a drive by on jethros cows with a mac10
Link Posted: 10/17/2004 7:58:35 PM EDT
[#19]
It's been heading in that direction with singers from Canada that used to sing pop? come on. Now everyone is on the Buffet band wagon.Now I love Buffet music, thats a good ole Mississippi there, but everybody is singing about the beach or Jimmy in their song
Link Posted: 10/17/2004 8:00:10 PM EDT
[#20]
David Allen Coe!

That's country
Link Posted: 10/17/2004 8:00:56 PM EDT
[#21]

No, he made it popular. I like Garth Brooks' music.

I liked his first album.  It was one of the better albums at the time.  The early nineties and late eighties were a great time for country music.  Randy Travis, Dwight Yoakum, Clint Black and Garths first album.  Then he came out with Friends in low places.  Did not care for him after that.
Link Posted: 10/17/2004 8:01:00 PM EDT
[#22]
I think the whole beach thing is just a summer trend. And I had abandoned Shania long before she started totting fucking Canadian flags in her videos. Fucking Canucks!!
Link Posted: 10/17/2004 8:27:25 PM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:
if you are tired of mainstream country, and like the sound of the older stuff you really should check out Texas music....or texas country... people like cory morrow, robert earl keen, chris knight, jason boland, or kevin fowler ...there is a world of texas music out there, but its kinda hard to find...its good shit though.

Don't forget Pat Green
Link Posted: 10/18/2004 1:17:07 AM EDT
[#24]

It was best summed up in an episode of Beavis and Butthead where Butthead remarks something to the affect of:

"What is this crap?  Country music used to be about whiskey drinking and ass-kicking."

Link Posted: 10/18/2004 1:19:56 AM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:
<Removed>

SGatr15

I seen people in the car with spinners listening to country.
Link Posted: 10/18/2004 1:23:58 AM EDT
[#26]
The fact is country music sold out about 15 years ago. They now sell sex like everyone else. Amazing this has been going on for so long and some poeple are just figuring it out. I hope they respond quicker to high oil prices and property taxes......probably not.
Link Posted: 10/18/2004 1:30:15 AM EDT
[#27]
Link Posted: 10/18/2004 1:39:13 AM EDT
[#28]
Country music started sucking about the same time rock died. That's somewhere in the early-mid 90's. Country then started going to hell with it's "pop" sound and rock died and was replaced by that Seattle grunge bullshit. Most modern music sux, period.

When I think of country, I think of George Strait, George Jones, Dwight Yoakam, Hank Jr, Waylon Jennings, etc. Rascal Flatts, Shania Twain, etc are not country IMO. About the only modern country performers I will listen to is Montgomery Gentry, Toby Keith and that big, tall dude.....Trace Adkins. While much of what they do isn't exactly country, they seem to help keep the good ol' boy (and bad boy) image of partying hard, kicking ass and beer drinking alive. That is the essence of what country is all about.
Link Posted: 10/18/2004 3:21:44 AM EDT
[#29]
[rant] All genres of music have evolved over time.  Country is nothing new.  People that bitch about change in music bitch about change in almost every aspect of life.  If you don't like the new music, don't listen to it.  The fact of the matter is, that people get tired of stuff that has already been done before.  You can't keep writting the same songs over and over.  Country has been influenced by rock-n-roll as long as rock-n-roll has been around.  There's nothing wrong with that.  People are always searching for a new sound, or something that catches peoples attention.  Nobody wants to hear a new song on the radio that souds just like something that was written 30 years ago.  It's not entertaining.  Writting good songs that stand the test of time is a hit or miss process.  Now granted, there are far more misses than hits, but that's they way it's always been.  People that cling to a certain era of music do so because it's special to them.  The prolem is when they can't understand why it doesn't manifest the same meaning for others. [/rant]
Link Posted: 10/18/2004 3:27:10 AM EDT
[#30]
i has sucked,,specially in the last 10yrs... i ahte garth,,, always have,,
im a randy travis,clint black,david al coe,willie/merle, chris ledoux fan everyone else pretty much(the newer mainstreamguys/gals) suck,, its all wishy washy  pop( rascal lflats,, and them damn canadian singers,,lol)
Link Posted: 10/18/2004 3:36:11 AM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:
[rant] All genres of music have evolved over time.  Country is nothing new.  People that bitch about change in music bitch about change in almost every aspect of life.  If you don't like the new music, don't listen to it.  The fact of the matter is, that people get tired of stuff that has already been done before.  You can't keep writting the same songs over and over.  Country has been influenced by rock-n-roll as long as rock-n-roll has been around.  There's nothing wrong with that.  People are always searching for a new sound, or something that catches peoples attention.  Nobody wants to hear a new song on the radio that souds just like something that was written 30 years ago.  It's not entertaining.  Writting good songs that stand the test of time is a hit or miss process.  Now granted, there are far more misses than hits, but that's they way it's always been.  People that cling to a certain era of music do so because it's special to them.  The prolem is when they can't understand why it doesn't manifest the same meaning for others. [/rant]

Music can change with time and still keep its integrity.

Hank Williams and Hank Williams, Jr.'s music were NOTHING alike - but they were both still country.

Chris Ledoux is heavily influence by rock - yet is still country.

Charlie Daniels has been influenced by both Rap and Blues - yet is still country as they come.

The issue here is musical integrity.  Pretty faces and formulaic songs are shitty anywhere - be it a boy-band in the pop scene or the latest hot chick or cowboy hat wearing goober of country music.
Link Posted: 10/18/2004 3:41:51 AM EDT
[#32]
The C&W downfall started with "Urban Cowboy".
After that, every disco dipshit just had to get a pair of boots, a cowboy hat, and a ride on the mechanical bull.
I blame it on John Travolta!
Link Posted: 10/18/2004 3:45:49 AM EDT
[#33]
Link Posted: 10/18/2004 3:50:55 AM EDT
[#34]
' WTF- Country Music's Going to Hell in A Handbasket! '

Going??  It was going 15 - 20 years ago.  It's been gone for awhile now.
Link Posted: 10/18/2004 3:50:57 AM EDT
[#35]
Hmmm, alot of you guys dumping on "Save a Horse, Ride a Cowboy" haven't listened to the rest of the album. There is some good stuff on there. That being said, I can't wait for Rascal Flats to die.

David Allen Coe, Hank (Sr. and Jr.), Charlie Daniels for the old stuff.
Montgomery Gentry, Charlie Robinson, Toby, and Trace Adkins for the new

Gretchen Wilson....screen door/hurricane.
Link Posted: 10/18/2004 3:54:21 AM EDT
[#36]

Quoted:
After that, every disco dipshit just had to get a pair of boots, a cowboy hat, and a ride on the mechanical bull.

That was a sad era for the genre - what kills me is how some people refer to music in that style as "classic" country.

The fact I was growing up when that crap was on the radio - yet prefer the stuff both pre-dating that and the stuff that ended that (hank you, George Strait) - pretty much disproves BigJ491's theory that we are just crusty curmudgeons yearning for a bygone era.  FWIW, I listen to a lot of new stuff - it's just usually not the stuff the mainstream country radio stations play.  I often here that stuff for the first time when someone does it in Karaoke!
Link Posted: 10/18/2004 4:00:35 AM EDT
[#37]
RIP...

Link Posted: 10/18/2004 4:04:14 AM EDT
[#38]

Quoted:

BINGO!
Link Posted: 10/18/2004 4:06:33 AM EDT
[#39]

Quoted:

Nah, I think I like the way I put it better. It just simply sux today. LOL.

I can see evolution. Country music evolved between the 1970's and 1980's. It evolved more during the 1980's. There was an evolution in the early 90's. But throughout this entire period, it remained good, despite the change. But somewhere around 1995 or 1996, I noticed a major change in the music. The change I have no problem with. As long as they change and it's still good, I'm fine. But I just simply think it sux. It's got nothing to do with me resisting change.
Link Posted: 10/18/2004 4:10:17 AM EDT
[#40]

Quoted:

Quoted:

That was a sad era for the genre - what kills me is how some people refer to music in that style as "classic" country.

The fact I was growing up when that crap was on the radio - yet prefer the stuff both pre-dating that and the stuff that ended that (hank you, George Strait) - pretty much disproves BigJ491's theory that we are just crusty curmudgeons yearning for a bygone era.  FWIW, I listen to a lot of new stuff - it's just usually not the stuff the mainstream country radio stations play.  I often here that stuff for the first time when someone does it in Karaoke!

Oh, now, don't go over generalizing what I said.  It's not an absolute theory, but a partial reality.  There are a lot of people that don't like "new country" simply because it lacks the "C&W" sound.  That's a fact.  I wasn't trying to pigeon hole you.  No doubt there are going to be modern songs that even the most "crusty curmudgeons " like, but that is few and far between.  Also, I wasn't commenting on the "integrity" of modern country music, but rather the part of modern country music that is more heavily influenced by outside genres.  That's the type of country music that many of the older country fans object too.  They see it as an overtaking of something that is "theirs."  People take these things very personal and become very possesive when it comes to music.  

As far as the "integrity" goes, I agree with you.  It would seem that over the past 10 years, it's gone from having great voices to having pretty faces.  Every once in a while, you'll get someone like Alison Kraus to slip through, but that's not too often.  Don't get me wrong, I think she's pretty, but she's no Shelly Wright or Shania Twain.  You don't often see women in country like Susy Bogges anymore either.  She was always slightly chunky, but she had "integrity" and a great voice.  I think the work she did with Chet Atkins was great.  It was a great blend of different eras of country music.  

I grew up in a country music household.  My father always had issues with some of the more modern country music I listened too.  He eventually came around to some, but had "integrity" issues with others.  Now that I'm older, I see where he was coming from.  However, much of his objections were just that he didn't like the sound of it.  
Link Posted: 10/18/2004 4:13:25 AM EDT
[#41]
Country music died when the songwriters stopped writing songs that appealed to men and started writing for women. There is no real "pop" or "middle of the road" radio formats any more and the people who used to record and sell that kind of music are now lumped in with and are sold as "country."
Link Posted: 10/18/2004 4:15:23 AM EDT
[#42]
Merle Haggard!!!!
Link Posted: 10/18/2004 4:20:48 AM EDT
[#43]

Quoted:
Country music died when the songwriters stopped writing songs that appealed to men and started writing for women. There is no real "pop" or "middle of the road" radio formats any more and the people who used to record and sell that kind of music are now lumped in with and are sold as "country."

That is quite an observation - and I think you may have hit the nail on the head.
Link Posted: 10/18/2004 4:21:41 AM EDT
[#44]

Quoted:
Merle Haggard!!!!

"Misery and Gin" - the single greatest country song ever recorded.
Link Posted: 10/18/2004 4:29:16 AM EDT
[#45]
I feel country music has been on the decline for a long time, too much pop, not enough real music.  I wasn't around in the days of what is now called "classic country" but most of that is so much more pure than today's dribble that I gravitate to it.  Some new acts are good, Big & Rich are bringing new energy to the genre even if they're not totally "country" but nobody now can match the soul of the old music, when songs actually had meaning.  There's never going to be another George Jones or Waylon Jennings or Marty Robbins so we either have to evolve with the music, find something else to listen to, or go through the radio dial to find one of the "classic" country stations.  Speaking of such, anybody know of one in the NoVA area?  MJD
Link Posted: 10/18/2004 4:33:13 AM EDT
[#46]
Well, i think it really is the listeners rather than the artists that have killed country.

The fact is that the more "pop-like" artists simply sell a crap load of albums and get requested on the radio more often. It's sad but Twain and Rascal Flats are what people want to hear. So, i blame all of humanity for the decline in country music.

As an example of the I submit that the only country station in the entire city of Seattle plays John Kerry ads every 30 minutes. Soccer moms now form an integral base of the country music genre. It makes me sad.
Link Posted: 10/18/2004 4:35:48 AM EDT
[#47]
Don't worry.
The more things change, the more things stay the same.
If country goes too pop, there will be somebody coming along doing retro
old style country.
The wonderful thing about music is that there is no shortage of musicians in the
world, thus no shortage of about every style you can imagine.
Link Posted: 10/18/2004 4:45:59 AM EDT
[#48]

Quoted:
dwight yokum...hillbilly deluxe.

dwight is good...got all his albums
lots of brooks & dunn, too
Link Posted: 10/18/2004 5:07:14 AM EDT
[#49]
Link Posted: 10/18/2004 5:10:53 AM EDT
[#50]
Its funny that you use Johnny Cash as your example.  I love Cash's music.  But, he was actually on the spearhead bringing country, rock and pop together.  He and Bob Dylan were best buddies back in the 60's and Cash recorded many of Dylan's songs.  The same with Elvis Costello in the 80's.

Johnny Cash is the only performer to be in 3 halls of fame.  Grand Ole Opry, Country Music HOF and Rock n Roll HOF.

However, I do agree with your asessment.  If you switch from a country station to a pop station you hear the same songs performed by different singers.

The real talent gets left by the wayside after the industry gets their mileage out of the first album and a tour.  One example is David Ball.  

Waylon Jennings said that today's singers a just sissy boys in tight jeans.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top