Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Site Notices
9/19/2017 7:27:10 PM
Posted: 12/21/2005 7:03:12 PM EDT
Hi all,

Since the handgun forums seem a bit slow, I thought that I would post this here. We can talk aout guns in GD, right?

I have a 1977 Colt Combat Commander that I dearly love. It is finished in electroless nickel and is getting pretty scuffed and scratched up. Plus, silver guns never really flipped my switch.

I know that I can get the nickel bead blasted to clean it up, but I'm wanting something a bit less "blingy".

Has anyone every tried applying DuraCoat or CeraKoat over roughed up nickel? I don't want to remove the nickel and the protection that it provides, but I want a black gun. Will any finish stick to nickel?

Disconnector
Link Posted: 12/21/2005 8:41:57 PM EDT
Link Posted: 12/25/2005 3:53:11 AM EDT
_disconnector_

I am going to have an AK underfold refinished. I was wanting a matte hard chrome finish with a black coating applied over it. Accurate Plaing said they could do it with their Ceraguard finish. Here is a link, if you would like to contact them.

Mikie
Link Posted: 12/25/2005 4:24:13 AM EDT
Ya know, Bro, there ain't nothin' wrong with the bling if you do it right.

Here's what I would do with that Colt, were it mine.

Strip the nickle finish, give the gun a nice, heavy bead blast and then hard chrome it. Put on a Really nice set of wood grips ( or maybe stag or micarta ), some King's Hardball ( a slighty beefier, G.I. style ) rear sights and that's it.

Simple

Clean

Effective

Pretty
Link Posted: 1/15/2006 7:27:14 PM EDT
I have done Cerakote over stripped nickle before and it turned out rather nice..
Top Top