Posted: 9/13/2004 6:08:59 PM EDT
Link Posted: 9/13/2004 6:10:19 PM EDT
[#1]
A flash is your friend.
Link Posted: 9/13/2004 6:12:09 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
A flash is your friend.

The whole point of this post was to reduce flash.
Link Posted: 9/13/2004 6:13:45 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 9/13/2004 6:14:37 PM EDT
[#4]
fine job there.

ahhh... freedom
Link Posted: 9/13/2004 6:14:53 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 9/13/2004 6:15:07 PM EDT
[#6]
Mr. Dremmel met Mr. Welds on my 'post-ban' AK-47's muzzle nut early this AM.  Then an AK-74 style (7.62) muzzle-break was screwed on.  

ETA:  Yes, yes.  I do have the required number of parts.
Link Posted: 9/13/2004 6:16:48 PM EDT
[#7]
now, be honest.  is that picture 5 years old?
Link Posted: 9/13/2004 6:25:37 PM EDT
[#8]
I cut mine off long ago.  Only the front part, though.  There are still the directional vent holes.
Link Posted: 9/13/2004 6:26:10 PM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 9/13/2004 6:26:10 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

Not even funny.

You can still be PROSECUTED for AWB violations. Is it worth it to you? It's not to me, enjoy your newfound FS.
Link Posted: 9/13/2004 6:41:03 PM EDT
[#11]
sorry.  was j/k.

if anyone had done it illegally, he wouldn't have taken pics, much less posted them online.

Link Posted: 9/13/2004 6:58:22 PM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 9/13/2004 8:01:09 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
I cut mine off long ago.  Only the front part, though.  There are still the directional vent holes.
www.users.muohio.edu/cliftojd/pics/brake.jpg

Ouch !   Poor brakey  It make much difference ?

The barrel/brake combo still over 16"  ?  Hope ya measured first !
Link Posted: 9/13/2004 8:04:59 PM EDT
[#14]
HM,
You inspired me.  I was going to send my upper to ADCO to have the Muzzle Break removed. But your pictures made it look so easy. So i figured, what the hell, it's only a Brl.  Took a couple minutes with a dremer to grind through the weld and find the set screw which came out easy as pie. You saved me $65.00.
Link Posted: 9/13/2004 8:12:30 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:
HM,
You inspired me.  I was going to send my upper to ADCO to have the Muzzle Break removed. But your pictures made it look so easy. So i figured, what the hell, it's only a Brl.  Took a couple minutes with a dremer to grind through the weld and find the set screw which came out easy as pie. You saved me $65.00.

And it's a good makeshift bayonet!
Link Posted: 9/13/2004 10:19:00 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Not even funny.

You can still be PROSECUTED for AWB violations. Is it worth it to you? It's not to me, enjoy your newfound FS.

Lighten Up, Francis!

D.
AZEX
Link Posted: 9/13/2004 10:38:27 PM EDT
[#17]
How much shift in point of impact should be expected when changing from a muzzle break to flash supressor?
Link Posted: 9/14/2004 3:44:19 PM EDT
[#18]
Link Posted: 9/14/2004 3:47:18 PM EDT
[#19]
Did I do this backward?    (yes, that's a bayonet lug)

Link Posted: 9/14/2004 4:00:35 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

photos.ar15.com/ImageGallery/Attachments/DownloadAttach.asp?iImageUnq=28272

You could sell that to Colt now.
Link Posted: 9/14/2004 4:08:38 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

Funny ha! ha!

Link Posted: 9/14/2004 4:13:33 PM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:

Great pic !  
Link Posted: 9/14/2004 4:14:52 PM EDT
[#23]
I felt bad cutting off a perfectly good preban FS, but I really wanted that Yankee Hill flipup and I do have  Phantom FH, so it's still an EVIL gun.  
Link Posted: 9/14/2004 4:18:56 PM EDT
[#24]
mail that bad boy to Sarah Brady, postage due.
Link Posted: 9/14/2004 4:19:54 PM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:

mail that bad boy to Sarah Brady, postage due.

That's a "preban" front sight.   Evil.  She'd be happy to see it cut off, I would think
Link Posted: 9/14/2004 6:19:16 PM EDT
[#26]
Link Posted: 9/14/2004 6:23:33 PM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Yep, more recoil but no muzzle rise.  A lot more fun to shoot.  Yes, I measured first.  From the back of the chamber to the end of the remains of the brake, it's about 16.25 inches long.
Link Posted: 9/14/2004 7:23:19 PM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Yep, more recoil but no muzzle rise.  A lot more fun to shoot.  Yes, I measured first.  From the back of the chamber to the end of the remains of the brake, it's about 16.25 inches long.

Oh yeah ?  Hmmmmmmm

Got that brake on my Bushy as well..... makin me have evil thoughts
Link Posted: 9/14/2004 7:34:34 PM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Oh yeah ?  Hmmmmmmm

I know it would be illegal to remove it, but is the AK break on my Bushmaster shorty put on the same way, threaded then pinned and welded? I assumed it was just slipped on and pinned. Does anyone know for sure? Yes I know the break is on it to make the barrel 16 inches, just wondering outloud.

ByteTheBullet  (-:
Link Posted: 9/14/2004 7:34:40 PM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Why measure? It was a 20 inch A1 barrel.

No no, my reply was to the pic in Greenhorn's post,  of the chopped off bits from that AK style brake, which I figured came off a Bushy carbine.  (ie 14.5" barrel + 2" brake)  same as on MY Bushy

Was asking if it was still at least 16" after the cut, as I was too stupid to just get up and go measure MINE, haha  

I probably should have reposted the pic too, instead of just hitting 'Reply' and only seeing the link.

Sorry for any confusion there...

JB  
Link Posted: 9/14/2004 7:41:17 PM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Oh yeah ?  Hmmmmmmm

I know it would be illegal to remove it, but is the AK break on my Bushmaster shorty put on the same way, threaded then pinned and welded? I assumed it was just slipped on and pinned. Does anyone know for sure? Yes I know the break is on it to make the barrel 16 inches, just wondering outloud.

ByteTheBullet  (-:

AFAIK, Yes... it's blind pinned, and welded over... Threaded as well, since there's a cup washer on mine, though yours may be different of course.  But I believe they did em all that way.

The 'Grind & Find' method should get the AK brakes off a bushy without much hassle, I'd think

JB
Link Posted: 9/14/2004 7:53:48 PM EDT
[#32]
Wait wait wait....our barrels are already threaded? You mean all I gotta do is buy a $6 flashhider, remove my old brake on the Colt 6400C....and wala, FH installed?
Link Posted: 9/14/2004 7:57:20 PM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:

WHY?  
Link Posted: 9/14/2004 8:04:09 PM EDT
[#34]

Quoted:

I'm doing this only because I care and it needs to be said.

STFU, NOOB!

Remember the Alamo, and God Bless Texas...
Link Posted: 9/14/2004 8:43:09 PM EDT
[#35]

Quoted:
Wait wait wait....our barrels are already threaded? You mean all I gotta do is buy a $6 flashhider, remove my old brake on the Colt 6400C....and wala, FH installed?

Well, you'll have to double check with the Colt nazis here, but I 'think' they're also threaded, blind pinned and welded over. But I really don't know. Just seem to think I read that here once before.

Each manufacturer has their own thing going though, So you can't just assume.  Some are threaded AND soldered, which is a bitch to remove, so be absolutely sure you know how yours is installed before even thinking about hacking away.    May be a simple grind job, may not !

I tend to only absorb Bushy tips when I see em, as it may now be the only AR that I'll ever have

I'm sure someone much more knowledgeable than I will chime in soon...

JB

P.S.  ALSO depends on your state laws, as to whether it's legal, even now  I cant touch mine since we still have our own piece of shit ban, here in CT...  *grumbles* So find out before you make an oops and get in any doo doo !
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top