Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 3/15/2006 3:51:56 PM EDT
If you have a Vista CTAP question - please post it in this thread. I've subscribed to it via email so that I can respond quickly.

This thread is to help you help yourself, too - hopefully it will become a FAQ later.

Please, no general questions about Vista or CTAP participation - just support questions.

The biggest changes I've seen personally are in LUA/UAP and WDM. If you install CTAP please create a user account (not an admin account) and use that for day-to-day stuff - this will let you experience LUA/UAP. Anything that doesn't work under that account is a bug - file it using the desktop bug filing tool, please.

WDM lets you swap video drivers on the fly - very nice.

I am using 5330 for my machines, so I may not be able to answer every question about 5308.

Personally, I play HL2 and DoD:S on 5330 and they play fine.
Link Posted: 3/15/2006 4:14:11 PM EDT
[#1]
Not a question, but I'll chime in.  I installed the February CTP recently, and it doesn't like my video card (I mentioned in the other thread, I think - it runs, but not very well).  I got a new card in today, and will be booting into Vista to make the appropriate changes.   I'll check out the user settings and make sure I'm using a separate account for my every day stuff.  With the new video card running, I'll start using it more at home for my day-to-day stuff to give it a good feel out.  

I have good hopes for Vista.  Sounds like a lot of the changes and restructuring will be very positive.  I'll be following the project to Gold, and when it's available via MSDN, I'll obtain the Gold version, and probably run my new box on Vista exclusively.

Once I get everything set tonight with the video drivers, I'll see about installing CoD II and will throw BF2 on it in a couple weeks when I pick it up.
Link Posted: 3/15/2006 4:16:27 PM EDT
[#2]
I'm running an x300 - sub $100 video card, and it runs fine. Aero glass and all that.
Link Posted: 3/15/2006 4:23:43 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
I'm running an x300 - sub $100 video card, and it runs fine. Aero glass and all that.

I havehad a GeForce 6200.  The system rating deal gave it like a 2.1 rating, and the desktop would not run the Aero Glass interface, and made the background image look like an 800x600 image blown up to 1280x1024!  

My new GeForce 7800GT should fix it's wagon!   If it looks poor, I may reinstall, just for giggles.    

I think so far, I got Yahoo pager, an older version of AIM and Firefox working.   The Gmail notifier doesn't save my account information, Vista tries to put in my local username when the login comes up.  I expect some things won't run well.  
Link Posted: 3/15/2006 7:39:19 PM EDT
[#4]
yeah here's a question. What is Vista CTAP?
Link Posted: 3/15/2006 9:26:06 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
yeah here's a question. What is Vista CTAP?

Vista Customer Technical Access Program
Link Posted: 3/15/2006 10:43:06 PM EDT
[#6]
Ok, I had my new video card in this evening, and Vista first found new hardware and then said it failed to install.  I restarted, and after finally getting to the desktop, I tried to see if I could load drivers from the CD that came with the video card.  Windows Explorer stopped responding, and soft locked to the point that task manager wouldn't open, and I had to reset the system.  Then I checked Device Manager, and the video card was properly recognized.  I set the desktop resolution, but Aero Glass was not enabled.  As far as I could find online (very breif search), it should have enabled itself if the video card was good enough.  I found nVidia had a beta driver, but the 7800GT was not listed as a supported adapter.  The 7800GTX was.  Odd.  

So I went ahead and formatted the partition Vista was on and reinstalled.  Seems to have come up fine, found the video adapter and Aero Glass is running.  Had a little trouble finding my ethernet controller.  I did like I did last time, used my USB ethernet adapter to get online.  Then Windows Update found a driver.  The AC'97 driver didn't load automatically.  The install from the motherboard driver CD got that working.

In the previous load, and in this load, the system seems to 'stutter' about every second.  You can hear it when a sound plays, and can see it by moving the mouse around the screen.

The device manager is clean except for one unknown device.  'NVCinema BDA Driver'

Any ideas on the stutter?  
Link Posted: 3/15/2006 11:42:30 PM EDT
[#7]
sounds like your sound carf is not in dma mode . Vista has a whole new audio stack, so XP drivers have to be emulated.

This looks good.
Link Posted: 3/16/2006 8:13:49 AM EDT
[#8]
I found a driver that Realtek put out, and installed it.  Still get the same stutter.  

hmmm...  
Link Posted: 3/26/2006 4:08:23 PM EDT
[#9]
Bump to bring this to the top.

Very impressive, I have been running a pure v6 environment all week and outside of a couple of minor DNS issues it has worked exceptionally well.    

I do have a couple of issues though.

1.  I'm trying to test DHCPv6 but the gui snap in is not installing.  That's a minor problem but I can't find any documentation on how to configure it from the command line.  

2.  Do you know what v6 support I can expect from WSFU?  I'm going to be checking Unix compatability with the stock install next week but I was thinking about installing SFU 3.5 and seeing if NIS, telnet, rsh etc... work.

3.  I may not be able to use the bug report tool because of IA issues, is there another method of feedback?
Link Posted: 3/26/2006 6:27:40 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I havehad a GeForce 6200.  The system rating deal gave it like a 2.1 rating, and the desktop would not run the Aero Glass interface, and made the background image look like an 800x600 image blown up to 1280x1024!  

My new GeForce 7800GT should fix it's wagon!   If it looks poor, I may reinstall, just for giggles.    

I think so far, I got Yahoo pager, an older version of AIM and Firefox working.   The Gmail notifier doesn't save my account information, Vista tries to put in my local username when the login comes up.  I expect some things won't run well.  

im running a 5700 on this box and ive got a 4.1 for gfx.  

right now i have firefox running like a champ.  still cant activate though. connection drops are still very common and im at a total loss at this point.   i have a feeling its gonna be somthing super obvious(i tend to think about the WCS and not the easy shit.)  ive got a buddy of mine commin over tonight and we are gonna get this damned thing working or im never gonna sleep again! coffee, coke and monster tacos here i come!!!(goin back to my youth:p )
Link Posted: 3/26/2006 6:30:24 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
3.  I may not be able to use the bug report tool because of IA issues, is there another method of feedback?

Honestly, it's the best tool. It is a direct connection from you to the vista devs.

you can install OE and get on the newsgroups to see if you can get peer support for the other questions. Since I'm running LH core right now, I can't tell you how to do what you want.
Link Posted: 3/29/2006 7:21:27 PM EDT
[#12]
my only complaint is that damn "Windows need your permission to do xxxx" whenever i open a damn program.

anyway to turn that off? granted ive only poked around with vista for about a hour today.
Link Posted: 3/29/2006 7:23:43 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
my only complaint is that damn "Windows need your permission to do xxxx" whenever i open a damn program.

anyway to turn that off? granted ive only poked around with vista for about a hour today.

That's a feature. You should only need to do that a lot when you build a new box or install new software.
Link Posted: 3/29/2006 7:32:01 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

Quoted:

That's a feature. You should only need to do that a lot when you build a new box or install new software.

ah
ah mine must be bugging out then cuz it keeps asking for the same program in this case microsoft antispyware. ill be sure to send that in a report.
Link Posted: 3/29/2006 7:33:17 PM EDT
[#15]
double post.
Link Posted: 3/29/2006 7:49:43 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:
ah mine must be bugging out then cuz it keeps asking for the same program in this case microsoft antispyware. ill be sure to send that in a report.

yeah - if antispyware is doing it, file a bug.

actually, anything that you see and don't like / don't understand / want to work differently, file a bug.
Link Posted: 3/29/2006 7:54:23 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

Quoted:

yeah - if antispyware is doing it, file a bug.

actually, anything that you see and don't like / don't understand / want to work differently, file a bug.

will do.
Link Posted: 3/29/2006 9:28:36 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

ah

mine was doing that also.

Ry i need you to resend that IM. i accidently deleted it b4 i could do anything.

im also bugging on the activation, i just finished the install(only took about 45 mins this time) but it wants me to activate the moment i start windows, and again, i have inet connectivity(im going through the "buy online product reg" button in the activation window.  

im not quite sure how im gonna disable a service from here but i can try.  hehe, i was feeling adventurous(sp?) and decided to give vista another chance on my main box....   im thinkin i should have gone tried and true XP   oh well.  im not gonna give up!(thank god for an xbox, i would be going nuts right about now without it)
Link Posted: 3/29/2006 10:27:02 PM EDT
[#19]
according to connect.microsoft.com/ activation i currently down
Link Posted: 3/29/2006 10:46:01 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:
according to connect.microsoft.com/ activation i currently down

Supposedly they'll be up on Friday. I'm in the same boat you're in - the clock is ticking and I have machines I need to activate!
Link Posted: 3/30/2006 3:13:33 PM EDT
[#21]
ok, im back to xp on my main rig, i may try and reinstall it again on saturday.    
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top