Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 2/9/2006 10:56:18 AM EDT
Non computer guy here so excuse the infant-like explainations for things, eh?

So the backround on my desktop (that blue Dell image) has been taken over, probably 5/6th, by a solid white colored block about a year ago.  I tried to fiddle with the screen settings and anti-virus crap but no soap.  Today the Dell backround has shrunk to the size of the white block and is offset, like they are two sides of one of those rectangle boxes, and the full screen color (the deepest backround) is now a solid dark blue.  

What is causing this?  Can I reverse it?  Will resetting to factory settings get rid of any/all viruses?  Downsides?

Cheers
Link Posted: 2/9/2006 4:48:47 PM EDT
[#1]
It may be  your video card is going kaput or your monitor.  What does the device manager show on how both are working?  
Link Posted: 2/9/2006 5:33:44 PM EDT
[#2]
I found the device manager but there are a hundred options.  What am I looking for and how do I know when I've found it?

Cheers
Link Posted: 2/9/2006 6:24:29 PM EDT
[#3]
First, are there any question marks or exclamation marks showing after you have opened "device manager"?

If not, find the "display adapters" option and expand it.  Then right click on whatever is there, this will be your video card.  If it shows "this device is working properly" then windows thinks it is working ok.

Do the same under "monitors".

Tell me what you see for both.
Link Posted: 2/10/2006 4:20:36 PM EDT
[#4]
Sorry for the delay Bubblehead!!

The device manager has no question/ exclaimation marks.
Both the video card and monitor each say they are working properly.
Any other ideas?

Cheers
Link Posted: 2/10/2006 4:52:20 PM EDT
[#5]
No problem  for the delay.  I am here again (working 4-midnight for awhile).

Is your monitor a CRT type or other?

If it is a CRT, have you tried adjusting the vertical and horizontal settings?
Link Posted: 2/10/2006 5:05:42 PM EDT
[#6]
Yes I have tried that, and the display settings.  It is not the viewing area, but what is being shown.  None of the icons have moved it is just the backround that has shifted.  Damn odd.

Link Posted: 2/10/2006 5:48:53 PM EDT
[#7]
Hmm, that is a curious one.  Have you tried reseating your video card?  Or is it integrated?  Reseated all associated cable connections?

I'm running out of options, but it is starting to sound like whatever generates the video stream in your pc.
Link Posted: 2/10/2006 6:08:41 PM EDT
[#8]
I haven't ever cracked this computer open, and it's probably better if Johnny All Thumbs doesn't.  

It is annoying and I got over it until it just did it again the other day and that spurred me into looking for a solution again.  Well thanks for taking the time to give me a hand, I appreciate it.

I guess I'll go to the computer store and see what they have to say.

Cheers
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top