Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 10/24/2001 10:00:15 AM EDT
Moving from New Jersey......

I can't see raising my family in this "shithole"...I'm from NC, and cannot beleive the spread of filth into this state. Its really very very disgusting here. I won't elaborate. I think you all know what I mean.

In Virginia.....What gun laws should I be concerned with?

CCW ?

Mag Capacity ?

Any restrictions I should know about ?

Thanks Guy !

Big "E"
Link Posted: 10/24/2001 10:05:02 AM EDT
[#1]
The good thing about VA is that there are very few gun laws.  Mostly just abide by Federal laws and you are OK.  We do have a 1 handgun a month law (thanks to former Gov. Wilder).  For your CCW, you just have to take a class, or have adequate training and then fill out a form at the courthouse.  Some small localities have there own laws (VA Beach, Ricmond city).  Most of these are restriction on carry laws so if you have a CCW, these won't apply to you since your permit is issued by the State.

hope this helps :)

Chris Williams
Link Posted: 10/24/2001 10:11:04 AM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
In Virginia.....What gun laws should I be concerned with?
View Quote

See [url]www.packing.org[/url].

CCW ?
View Quote

Take a class and pay about a $50 application fee.  Some jurisdictions require fingerprints.  Wait up to 6 weeks, and you will be approved if your record is clean (no felonies, and recent serious misdemeanors).  VA is a "shall issue" state.

This is a VERY incomplete version.  See above URL.

Mag Capacity ?
View Quote

Follow the Federal law on this one.

Any restrictions I should know about ?

Thanks Guy !

Big "E"
View Quote

Some jurisdictions are more of a pain that others, and local laws can vary.  Where are you moving to?
Link Posted: 10/24/2001 10:11:45 AM EDT
[#3]
Chris...

thanks alot!

I'm going to tell the boss I am going to start requesting a transfer to Ashburn..

He'll flip his lid....gonna be hard to break it to the old dot..hehe

Big "E"
Link Posted: 10/24/2001 10:13:04 AM EDT
[#4]
Also, most concealed carry classes spend some time covering the legal aspects.
Link Posted: 10/24/2001 10:38:38 AM EDT
[#5]
Thanks Chimborazo !

Checked out that site....thanks again.

E
Link Posted: 10/24/2001 10:45:08 AM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 10/24/2001 10:57:55 AM EDT
[#7]

open carry,

In Virginia, one may carry self-defense handguns in the open with no license. BEWARE: a few cities have pre-1987grandfathered-in laws that allow them to prohibit open carry. But there are only a few of these places. state law overrides this forself-defense handguns in vehicles. the hassle factor varies. carrying concealed in places that serve alcohol is prohibited, evenlicensed, but open carry there is allowed.
View Quote
Link Posted: 10/24/2001 10:58:46 AM EDT
[#8]
Welcome to VA!  Recommend you take a CCW class at your local range and get a copy of the VA Gun Owners Guide book.  For sale at almost every gun shop in VA.  Oh yeah....read it.

As soon as you get down here, register to vote and help us keep the DEMS outta office!

Small suggestion?  Perhaps you can change your handle, its a little too strong for the image that AR15.com is trying to project now....and we need all VA gun owners to put up a good front to show the world that we are responsible, law abiding folks....no need for bad language. [8d]
Link Posted: 10/24/2001 11:04:07 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

open carry,

In Virginia, one may carry self-defense handguns in the open with no license. BEWARE: a few cities have pre-1987grandfathered-in laws that allow them to prohibit open carry. But there are only a few of these places. state law overrides this forself-defense handguns in vehicles. the hassle factor varies. carrying concealed in places that serve alcohol is prohibited, evenlicensed, but open carry there is allowed.
View Quote
View Quote

However, you can be charged with disturbing the peace if people freak out.   Lame.
Link Posted: 10/24/2001 11:29:21 AM EDT
[#10]
As a former NJ inmate, now residing in beautiful southwest VA, let me be the first to say, "Welcome!".

Now shut up, get in your car, drive to the nearest firearm emporium and buy the first thing you see that you couldn't have had in NJ.

I swear, they'll have to surgically remove the smile.
Link Posted: 10/24/2001 12:12:18 PM EDT
[#11]

As soon as you get down here, register to vote and help us keep the DEMS outta office!
View Quote

For Governor: Warner or Earley?
Link Posted: 10/24/2001 1:35:31 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Quoted:

open carry,

View Quote
View Quote

However, you can be charged with disturbing the peace if people freak out.   Lame.
View Quote

WTF.  lol.  I can possibly see people freaking out up in this area.  Northern VA.  Once you get a little south near Fredericksburg It is better.  Blackfox open carrys all the time down in Richmond and hardly gets a look.  Except from me. [;)]  

If when I ever take a class to be eligible to conceal carry,  I'd probably open carry more often.  Easier than trying to hide something in the summertime.
Link Posted: 10/24/2001 1:54:41 PM EDT
[#13]
$50 for a five-year permit.

If you’ve been in the military, you can use that to fulfill the training requirement.  Just submit a copy of your DD214 with the application.  The class is still a good idea; there are some quirks in the law that you need to know.

Supposedly VA state DMV records will indicate that you’re issued a CCW.  Keep that in mind if you ever get pulled over.
Link Posted: 10/24/2001 2:10:20 PM EDT
[#14]
I miss Virginia (I may be back there when I finish school in IL).

I have a CCW permit from there.

One place I will never move is New Jersey--my Wife is from there, and with all due respect to our shooting members, it is the Armpit of the country (I won't get into where the Rectum is).  It is big suburb built on a swamp with Philly at one end and NYC at the other.  

As to Virginia, they have a pre-emption law.  You cannot pass individual laws in localities concerning firearms (with limited exceptions), as only the state has that power.  They have a "shall issue" CCW law--if you meet the requirements (the class or documentable firearms experience, non-felon, etc.) they have to issue the CCW.  They allow Machine Guns (some areas have a problem with CLEO signatures, though).  There is a one handgun a month law--but you can go to the State Police and fill out a form that will allow you to buy the guns listed on the form (it takes a few days--that's how I got two Single Action Armies at the same time).

They have Green Top in Ashland.
They have GOOD gunshows (The Showplace in Richmond and the Fairgrounds).  There are places to shoot, including Quantico.  

Overall, a much better place than NJ (and IL).

Link Posted: 10/24/2001 2:14:55 PM EDT
[#15]
I HATE the open carry law in VA. I find myself following people around to see what model pistol they are carrying. Very annoying to my wife by the way.

Link Posted: 10/24/2001 2:27:16 PM EDT
[#16]
Let me know when you get here. Ashburn is in Loudoun county and by virtue of working in the county, you'll be eligiable to join Loudoun County Izaak Walton.

That would give you access to their very nice 100 yard range.  There are also 2 indoor ranges not too far from Ashburn (Blue Ridge and NRA).

You local gunstore will be Loudoun Guns in Leesburg.  

Welcome to neighborhood.
Link Posted: 10/24/2001 2:41:42 PM EDT
[#17]
Concerning those machine guns in Virginia: there is a requirement that you register automatic weapons with the State Police.  A simple form and no big deal.  

Suppressors do not need any paperwork from the Commonwealth, just the usual Federal forms.

The instant background check on all firearms is usually pretty fast, even on a busy Saturday afternoon at the famous Green Top Sporting Goods on Rt. 1 north of Richmond.  

Welcome!

"Never ask a man if he is from Virginia.  If he is, he will certainly tell you; if not, you don't want to embarass him."
Link Posted: 10/24/2001 2:53:56 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Concerning those machine guns in Virginia: there is a requirement that you register automatic weapons with the State Police.  A simple form and no big deal.  
View Quote

Unless they got a copy of my form 4 from my CLEO or from ATF, they have no idea what I have.  Where did you hear about that so called 'requirement'

Link Posted: 10/24/2001 3:02:06 PM EDT
[#19]
Welcome Big "E"!!

You will not believe Virginia laws if you join us here.  FREEDOM IS ALIVE.  Yes, we can open carry pretty much anywhere - I do every day (PVFD304, sorry we missed you at the show.  I'm carrying a Glock model 21 or 30 :).  

Concealed carry permit laws vary from County to County.  Some Counties make you take shooting competency tests and submit fingerprints (typically Dem counties).  Others require you fill out a form and write them a check (mine, for example) - no class required.  

The only limit on specific firearms is the SPAS 12-guage (don't ask me, somebody in the General Assembly must have just watched a movie or something?).  Machineguns and suppressors are only limited by your County - many are very friendly (biggest problem I have with my Sherrif is trying to schedule when he can come "safety test" it for me :).  It's a great State.  

I can honestly say to this day I have NEVER had anybody give me dirty looks or act funny when I'm openly carrying my firearm in a fobus holster.  I've NEVER had a police officer ask to see ID or permit.

We have a few shoots a year with everyone in the State.  We blew up a car at the one in the Spring.  The one at my place last weekend was pretty fun.  You'll really like it here.  I hope you can make it!

Black Fox
Link Posted: 10/24/2001 3:03:16 PM EDT
[#20]

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
For Governor: Warner or Earley?

From what I have seen, Warner certainly doesnt have my support.  (I like his radio commercial that states he has the support of firefighters and police across the state....funny, he never asked me)
I am still kinda out on debate on Earley.  Still looking into more of his info.

BigFukenE, welcome to the south.  May your stay here be a long and happy one.

For us SWVA folks, the Roanoke show is this weekend.  Promises to be a pretty good one from what I hear.  First time in a while I have heard of them doing the CCW classes during the show.

The Whistlepig   [USA]
Link Posted: 10/24/2001 3:10:26 PM EDT
[#21]
He means the sp-115 form or other wise known as an Application for Machine Gun Registration.  This is the form to get your "Green sheet" the paper that MUST be with the weapon. 7, if you have not done this (but of coarse you did, right!) you would have an unregisted machine gun in VA's eyes, not a good thing. John
Link Posted: 10/24/2001 3:12:52 PM EDT
[#22]
Um, 7, there is a requirement for that.  The State Police admit compliance is very low and not many people would think to ask for anything besides tax stamp paperwork anyway.  

From the BATF book "State Laws and Published Ordinances:"

"18.2-295. Registration of machine guns
Every machine gun in this Commonwealth shall be registered within twenty-four hours after it's acquisition....  To comply with this section the application as filed shall be notarized and shall show the model and serial number of the gun, the name, address and occupation of hte person in possession....  Failure to keep or produce such certificate for inspection shall be a Class 3 misdemeanor, and any peace officer, may without warrant, seize the machine gun and apply for it's confiscation as provided in 18.2-296."

I personally figure I've paid several-thousand a firearm to meet legal requirements for something that we're Constitutionally-obligated to do (keep and bear current military-standard firearms).  I'm either going to ignore all the laws or register legit weapons with the Fed and State - which is what I did.  Just my opinion.  They know where to find you anyway.  Let me know if you need assistance with addresses and forms.

Black Fox
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top