BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 9/17/2023 6:08:28 PM EDT
[#1]
Attachment Attached File

My Great great grandpa Anton was an avid hunter. I'll try and get a better pic but Mom has the photo and is 83 and probably resting.
Link Posted: 9/17/2023 6:10:07 PM EDT
[#2]
My dad bagging a sheep in 1983. French Creek, Custer State Park, SD.

Attachment Attached File

My dad drilling buffalo in 1984.  Somewhere in west river, SD.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 9/17/2023 6:11:18 PM EDT
[#3]
A Nice change from ukraine threads
Link Posted: 9/17/2023 6:33:23 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 9/17/2023 6:52:57 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Our now long gone squatter hunting camp we built in 1969 out in the Everglades before it was called the Big Cypress and became taken over by the Feds which was then renamed to the Big Cypress WMA.  In those days all of this land out in the Glades was state owned and anyone could build a hunting camp anywhere you wanted as long as the land parcel was not privately owned.  All of the smart folks had purchased small acreages out there for next to nothing and had some nice camps which remain to this day but a lawsuit was settled giving the private owners and their heirs 99 year leases which will expire sometime around 2075 or thereabouts.  Those were probable only several dozen or so folks.  Probably 90% of the camps were squatter camps and the Feds gave everyone (squatters) 5 years to remove them or they would be burned down in year 6.  Sure enough they did just that.  This picture was taken by me after climbing a nearby tree so I could get a nice shot of it.  

https://i.imgur.com/qvo6fmBh.jpg

Below is a close up shot of it.  I remember it was something like 10 foot by 20 foot, with twin bunk beds, one on each end and a small table that would fold up and down inside to eat.  It was built with wood my wealthy uncle donated to us from his condo construction sites on the big condos he was building at the time on Key Biscayne.  My dad and one of my carpenter uncles did all of of the guidance since me, my brother and two cousins were all teens and would mostly be screwing around while they were chewing our ass for getting this camp built and completed before the rainy season.  It was done for us because neither my dad nor uncles were really hunters but didn't really trust us to pull this work off on our own (and they were right).   Great memories from those years in the late 60's and early 70's before the Feds came to ruin everything.  

https://i.imgur.com/cRNtgaGh.jpg

The last picture below shows our little 4 cylinder flat head jeep engine half track L drive swamp buggy we used to get around everywhere in the Glades during hunting season when it was always wet.  I am the one in the passenger seat looking at the camera while my slightly younger cousin was driving it and my older cousin was taking the picture as we drove by.  The pictures above of our camp shows a 63 Willys jeep 4x4 pickup that would only get around out there in the 4 months or so during the dry season and even then we managed to get stuck in many rutted up places if you weren't careful which we sure as heck weren't since getting stuck and unstuck was fun to us but would really piss my Dad off.  There was never a mud hole we wouldn't try to go through with my Dad yelling at us to go around it.  

https://i.imgur.com/BIBlmS5h.jpg

I need to digitize a ton of old photos I have in photo albums over many hunting seasons.  I will hunt God willing until the day I die or can no longer get around.  I am still hunting the Big Cypress to this day and getting ready for blackpowder opener in a few weeks.   Just walk in hunting these days for me.  
View Quote

That’s awesome and tragic at the same time.
Link Posted: 9/17/2023 7:36:28 PM EDT
[#6]

Great uncle Jed, circa 1962, Ozarks Missouri.

Barely kept his family fed, until he got rich.
Link Posted: 9/17/2023 8:27:23 PM EDT
[#7]

Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top