Warning

 

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Site Notices
9/22/2017 12:11:25 AM
Posted: 9/28/2005 12:22:36 PM EDT
My parents do this to save on their heating bill. They have a box that is installed before it vents outside... you can open the vent to the inside and shut off the vent on the outside of the house and it keeps the heat inside. They have a piece of pantyhose or something over it to catch the lint, and keep the filter clean.

Is it a worthwhile idea? I know it will pour humidity into the house, but my dryer isn't in my basement and it gets pretty dry inside during the winter. So that doesn't really bother me that much... should it?
Link Posted: 9/28/2005 12:25:38 PM EDT
They work fine, but my dryer only runs about 3 hours a week. Considering that damn thing uses more electricity than just about anything in my house except the refigerator, I don't really know how valuable the heat recovery is.

DO NOT use one of these if you have a gas dryer.
Link Posted: 9/28/2005 12:26:19 PM EDT
Link Posted: 9/28/2005 12:29:04 PM EDT
Way too much humidity for the largest house. You will get condensation EVERYWHERE.

I have seen heat exchangers, homebuilt, naturally, for this purpose. Since the humidity reaches condensation point, you need some method of draining this water along with a way to clean the tubes because lint will deposit on the wet surface, hindering the heat transfer eventually.

You could try 40-60 feet of 4" DWV PVC, friction fitted to allow disasembly. Route it outside.
Link Posted: 9/28/2005 12:29:27 PM EDT
I'd keep an eye on homebrew lint traps... lint is GREAT for firestarting...
Link Posted: 9/28/2005 12:32:01 PM EDT

Originally Posted By Merrell:
I'd keep an eye on homebrew lint traps... lint is GREAT for firestarting...

Clean the "secondary" lint trap after every load, just like you do on the one in the dryer.

Also, as frequenters to the Survival Forum will tell you, hang on to some of that lint and keep it in an Altoids (or similar) tin for the express purpose of firestarting.
Link Posted: 9/28/2005 12:38:18 PM EDT
have a friend that does this- it seemed to work very good- especially in the cold basement- did not notice any condensation -ELECTRIC DRYERS ONLY!!! unless you want to die. I was considering this too for our upstairs laundry- you may notice some "dryer" smell- but it did not seem to bad at friends. TONS of heat can be saved. You can get the boxes at local hardware store.

Winter use only- and get a humidity sensor for your house- make sure things dont get too humid!! We keep ours at around 40% in winter.
Link Posted: 9/28/2005 12:44:32 PM EDT
My dryer is electric, so no worries.
Link Posted: 9/28/2005 12:47:01 PM EDT
Link Posted: 9/28/2005 1:15:11 PM EDT

Originally Posted By California_Kid:



Did I miss something?
Link Posted: 9/28/2005 1:18:09 PM EDT
Link Posted: 9/28/2005 1:21:47 PM EDT

Originally Posted By DDiggler:

Originally Posted By California_Kid:



Did I miss something?

I think he's revelling in the fact that he lives in the desert where heating in winter is not a concern. I suppose that all the money the rest of us spend on heating, California_Kid can spend on AR15s, AK-47s, .50 BMG rifles, FALs and other stuff.

Oops. I guess not. Must be nice in paradise.
Link Posted: 9/28/2005 1:29:17 PM EDT
I would not do this. The moisture that comes out of that box will destroy your house if it is insulated very well. This works OK in older homes because they are not sealed up real well but the new houses with the wraps and moisture barriers will trap the moisture inside the walls and then mold will show up. It will also cause cracks in the drywall joints.
Link Posted: 9/28/2005 1:42:14 PM EDT

Originally Posted By NoHarmNoFAL-01:
I would not do this. The moisture that comes out of that box will destroy your house if it is insulated very well. This works OK in older homes because they are not sealed up real well but the new houses with the wraps and moisture barriers will trap the moisture inside the walls and then mold will show up. It will also cause cracks in the drywall joints.



OK this is a valid concern. I live in a modular so lots of drywall, and pretty well insulated.

I hate seeing that free heat going out the side of the house. Someone needs to come up with a small, efficient condenser for this... but I doubt it would be cost effective.
Link Posted: 9/28/2005 1:47:50 PM EDT

Originally Posted By NoHarmNoFAL-01:
I would not do this. The moisture that comes out of that box will destroy your house if it is insulated very well. This works OK in older homes because they are not sealed up real well but the new houses with the wraps and moisture barriers will trap the moisture inside the walls and then mold will show up. It will also cause cracks in the drywall joints.

Well, around these parts, we have some dry-ass winters. The moisture that would be introduced to the house from a dryer would be miniscule compared to showers and cooking.
Link Posted: 9/28/2005 2:54:04 PM EDT

Originally Posted By DzlBenz:

Originally Posted By DDiggler:

Originally Posted By California_Kid:



Did I miss something?

I think he's revelling in the fact that he lives in the desert where heating in winter is not a concern. I suppose that all the money the rest of us spend on heating, California_Kid can spend on AR15s, AK-47s, .50 BMG rifles, FALs and other stuff.

Oops. I guess not. Must be nice in paradise.



Actually, I spend the money I save on heating AND property tax on C&R firearms, parts for my ARs, etc., and ammo.
Top Top