Let me know what you think.

Link Posted: 4/19/2013 3:07:37 PM EDT
[#1]
Any thoughts?.....
Link Posted: 4/19/2013 3:14:09 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 4/19/2013 3:21:58 PM EDT
[#3]
I don't think it'd last very long... unless it's a really high temp capable plastic.
Link Posted: 4/19/2013 3:37:05 PM EDT
[#4]
Go for it.
Link Posted: 4/19/2013 3:38:48 PM EDT
[#5]
why
Link Posted: 4/19/2013 3:44:25 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
I don't think it'd last very long... unless it's a really high temp capable plastic.

This.

How would it stand up to direct impact? Say the shotty was dropped muzzle first?

Link Posted: 4/19/2013 3:46:04 PM EDT
[#7]
only would ever want a plastic muzzle break if I had a 3d printer and it was free and I could make new ones.
Link Posted: 4/19/2013 3:46:35 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 4/19/2013 4:35:15 PM EDT
[#9]
geez I responded and just as I hit submit, the web site crashed.

I made delrin muzzle brakes for my .22lr.  Here's what happens.  The delrin expands with heat and eventually fails.  As long as you give it time to cool down it works but if it gets too warm it expands rapidly.  Mine were designed to be press fit on my rifle barrel and I used  four 4-40 set screws to keep it in place.  It lasted until I rapid fired, then the heat caused it to expand and it fell right off.  

the set screws loosened in the threads and fell out.  

as soon as it cooled down it went back to its original machined shape and pressed back on but it always fell off again.  Eventually I just made them out of 6061-t6 aluminum and they never fell off again.

I would say that for prototyping, to see if it actually works, it will as long as you take it easy but expect it to fail as soon as it heats up.  

it will expand faster than the threadserts and will be either blown off or blown to smithereens
Link Posted: 4/19/2013 4:38:13 PM EDT
[#10]
Interdasting.  Keep us updated.

My predictions:  It will not last very long.

Still a cool project, though.  I wish I had the access and know-how, to machine stuff.

Link Posted: 4/19/2013 4:39:45 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

This.

How would it stand up to direct impact? Say the shotty was dropped muzzle first?

or buckshot or birdshot eats it up.

I don't think the buckshot will spread that much within 2" of leaving the barrel.  Who knows...
Link Posted: 4/19/2013 4:54:36 PM EDT
[#12]
It's amazing what plastic can do now.  We use HDPE instead of steel for almost all pipes where I work now.
Link Posted: 4/19/2013 6:51:32 PM EDT
[#13]
Neat. I'm interested to see how it turns out.
Link Posted: 4/19/2013 6:53:03 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
for a real gun or airsoft.

sorry there is no polymer i would trust as a muzzle device. jmho

I have a steel brake on my Airsoft.
Link Posted: 4/19/2013 7:29:43 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
for a real gun or airsoft.

sorry there is no polymer i would trust as a muzzle device. jmho

For a REAL firearm. My Saiga-12!.....I think you might be in for a surprise lol
Link Posted: 4/19/2013 7:31:21 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

Well I'm making 2....one for normal shooting, nothing crazy. The other for a torture test to see how many rounds it will take rapid fire.
Link Posted: 4/19/2013 7:32:32 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
why

Because I can.......'Merica! lol
Link Posted: 4/19/2013 7:45:52 PM EDT
[#18]
Link Posted: 4/19/2013 7:47:52 PM EDT
[#19]
Should probably make the baffles a bit thicker than the metal versions
Link Posted: 4/19/2013 7:50:12 PM EDT
[#20]
Those things are fantastic and worth every penny!!

I used the money I saved outfitting all my rifles to buy a 10oz gold bar on eBay.. I got a great deal on that one too!
Link Posted: 4/19/2013 7:51:40 PM EDT
[#21]
Did somebody fart when you were taking your picture for your avatar?
Link Posted: 4/19/2013 7:54:30 PM EDT
[#22]
saiga 12....gyeah buddy!

interested to see how it holds up
Link Posted: 4/19/2013 7:54:44 PM EDT
[#23]
It could be cool. Go for it!
Link Posted: 4/19/2013 8:00:42 PM EDT
[#24]
Should be interesting.  I can't stand people who hate on innovation.  How many of you morons would have thought a polymer AR mag was shit?
Link Posted: 4/19/2013 8:11:08 PM EDT
[#25]
Im in, I wouldnt think it would last long
Link Posted: 4/19/2013 8:21:07 PM EDT
[#26]
Link Posted: 4/20/2013 6:34:05 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
Partner, the service temp for Delrin for intermittent use is only 300F.  For continuous use, it's only 185F.  Wait for the aluminum or steel for actual use, while using the Delrin for a proto.  Please.  I used to do injection molding with the stuff.

http://www.sdplastics.com/delrin/delrin[1].pdf

Can't make it a link due to the [1] in the document name.

I know the melting point....remember it a TEST just to see how much the Delrin can take.
Link Posted: 4/20/2013 6:35:15 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
Absolutely no hate here.  Much respect to Fitty.  I just have worked with the stuff.  I wouldn't trust it.
Quoted:
Should be interesting.  I can't stand people who hate on innovation.  How many of you morons would have thought a polymer AR mag was shit?

I plan on tying other polymers as well
Link Posted: 4/20/2013 7:08:24 AM EDT
[#29]
Link Posted: 4/20/2013 7:22:39 AM EDT
[#30]
As long as the baffles are closer together than the wads length, I think it will work.
Link Posted: 4/20/2013 8:04:33 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
As long as the baffles are closer together than the wads length, I think it will work.

I dont think that is going to matter anyway.  I have fired a lot of shots out of a shotgun with the mag tube 2" longer than the muzzle and never had a strike. on the mag tube.
Link Posted: 4/20/2013 8:31:19 AM EDT
[#32]
Worth a try. Not sure delrin will last very long.
Link Posted: 4/20/2013 8:41:03 AM EDT
[#33]
Subscribing.

We'll never know for sure until someone gives it a go.
Link Posted: 4/20/2013 8:48:14 AM EDT
[#34]
Why not.
Link Posted: 4/20/2013 9:04:07 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
Quoted:
why

Because I can.......'Merica! lol

Damn right.

Link Posted: 4/20/2013 2:06:09 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
Subscribing.

We'll never know for sure until someone gives it a go.

EXACTLY!
Link Posted: 4/20/2013 3:04:50 PM EDT
[#37]
First , a muzzle brake on the END of a shotgun barrel is virtually worthless, not enough gas pressure at that point to be effective.

Second, as the other poster described Delrin DOES NOT like heat, try cutting it with a laser, it will crawl off the table.
Link Posted: 4/20/2013 5:27:47 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
First , a muzzle brake on the END of a shotgun barrel is virtually worthless, not enough gas pressure at that point to be effective.

That's funny because I've done a couple recoil videos showing that a muzzle brake on the Saiga-12 does work.
Link Posted: 4/20/2013 5:42:18 PM EDT
[#39]

Quoted:

Quoted:

That's funny because I've done a couple recoil videos showing that a muzzle brake on the Saiga-12 does work.

Your tests are flawed.  10K LUP / PSI is not enough pressure to have any statistically significant effect.  

This is one reason why barrel porting has fallen out of favor with shotgun shooters who understand simple physics.  

But don't let this stop you.  

Link Posted: 4/20/2013 5:48:52 PM EDT
[#40]
OP, are you familiar with flame cutting?

Basically, even if you could get a plastic to handle the heat, there's an immense amount of pressure from the gasses as well as a sand-blasting effect from any unburnt powder. This pressure builds up on any portions facing the muzzle and will erode those portions resulting in a lose of performance. With a muzzle break you're also worried about the pressure build up, as breaks involve redirecting the gas forces.

I've done a little bit of work testing muzzle devices, and even with rapid prototyped metal hiders we were concerned about losing performance after a handful of rounds.

I can't imagine a plastic muzzle break being able to take the pressure without exploding in short order.
Link Posted: 4/20/2013 5:56:38 PM EDT
[#41]
The first time a wad strikes a baffle and gets lodged,  or a piece gets gets lodged,  you are in for a hurting.
We fired SLAP out of the Barrett  .50s and a piece of the sabot would sometimes get lodged in the brake. Next round would make for some excitement.

Tread carefully.
Link Posted: 4/20/2013 6:01:02 PM EDT
[#42]
Steel muzzle brakes installed with setscrews often get shot off the end of the barrel due to the forces seen.  I've seen two go down range myself - a Smith and some off brand one.

I'd not expect a plastic one to last long.  Prove me wrong and you might be onto something.
Link Posted: 4/20/2013 6:07:03 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:

Your tests are flawed.  10K LUP / PSI is not enough pressure to have any statistically significant effect.  

This is one reason why barrel porting has fallen out of favor with shotgun shooters who understand simple physics.  

There really isn't much compensation when shooting low brass but when shooting high brass buck/slugs there is a visible and felt reduction in recoil.
Link Posted: 4/20/2013 6:53:07 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
The first time a wad strikes a baffle and gets lodged,  or a piece gets gets lodged,  you are in for a hurting.
We fired SLAP out of the Barrett  .50s and a piece of the sabot would sometimes get lodged in the brake. Next round would make for some excitement.

Tread carefully.

Those SLAP rounds are how we know a brake needs to have ports that are closer together than the length of the sabot.
Link Posted: 4/21/2013 4:02:04 AM EDT
[#45]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

There really isn't much compensation when shooting low brass but when shooting high brass buck/slugs there is a visible and felt reduction in recoil.

Again, you have no idea what you are talking about.  Some 3" magnum "high brass" as you call them actually operate at lower pressures than some "low brass" target loads.  

The recoil is generated by the total weight of the ejecta.  More ejecta, more recoil.  Muzzle brakes need pressure - and lots of it - to work.  Shotguns do not operate within ranges of pressure suited for use with muzzle brakes.  Period.  You are kidding yourself.

Link Posted: 4/21/2013 6:43:37 AM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:

Again, you have no idea what you are talking about.  Some 3" magnum "high brass" as you call them actually operate at lower pressures than some "low brass" target loads.  

The recoil is generated by the total weight of the ejecta.  More ejecta, more recoil.  Muzzle brakes need pressure - and lots of it - to work.  Shotguns do not operate within ranges of pressure suited for use with muzzle brakes.  Period.  You are kidding yourself.

Link Posted: 4/21/2013 1:38:30 PM EDT
[#47]
Thank you for proving my point with your own video, OP.  

Carry on.  I'm not wasting any more time looking up those nostrils or trying to explain this to you.  

You very obviously consider yourself the subject matter expert and have no interest in considering empirical data.

Link Posted: 4/21/2013 1:45:48 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
Thank you for proving my point with your own video, OP.  

Carry on.  I'm not wasting any more time looking up those nostrils or trying to explain this to you.  

You very obviously consider yourself the subject matter expert and have no interest in considering empirical data.

Looked like a difference to me.

Granted, a sample of 1...

Link Posted: 4/21/2013 1:54:16 PM EDT
[#49]
The delrin won't hold up even without any strikes. If the design is good enough that it will reduce recoil then physics will be trying to pull it off the end of the gun with every shot.

As soon as it heats and expands there's slop in the thread engagement, that allows movement, movement allows inertia to be formed, inertia means threads go bye bye.

T
Link Posted: 4/21/2013 2:07:00 PM EDT
[#50]
oh this is going to be good!

let me get my popcorn!
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top