Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/21/2013 5:40:27 AM EDT
OK, I sold my safe to fund taxes and things. I will need a new one eventually or come up with another solution.

I have a dishwasher that does not work, or I don't think it does. It hasn't been used since I was about 8 years old, and I'm 45 now.

My idea is to affix a lock to it, remove all hoses etc. It seems that it's just something most thieves would overlook. I don't have but a couple of guns left now, and I can make it where they will fit. They stay out unless I'm gone anyway. It would be used just to store documents and a couple of guns and that's it.

Good idea or bad?
Link Posted: 1/21/2013 5:42:16 AM EDT
[#1]
Not a bad idea.  If you can hide the lock I think you have a winner!

Nt so much a safe as a hiding spot, but a good one at that.
Link Posted: 1/21/2013 5:44:14 AM EDT
[#2]
I voted squirrel.
Link Posted: 1/21/2013 5:45:50 AM EDT
[#3]

I checked all the options just cuz I can!          

Link Posted: 1/21/2013 5:48:41 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

I checked all the options just cuz I can!          

You haz infected my pole.
Link Posted: 1/21/2013 5:51:48 AM EDT
[#5]
I washed a nasty old Garand stock in a dishwasher once.  Opened the door and the new dishwasher was black with old grease and oil inside.
Had to run about 20 cycles with laundry detergent to get it to come clean.

But......

It would make a good hiding place as long as you leave a cheap decoy gun somewhere also. Even a chest freezer works for this.  Just don't put big padlocks on it.  Will make it obvious you are hiding something.
Link Posted: 1/21/2013 5:51:53 AM EDT
[#6]
Let me guess, the OP is not a member of MENSA?  
Link Posted: 1/21/2013 5:56:58 AM EDT
[#7]
Wonder how much fire protection you'd get?  How well insulated is a dishwasher?
Link Posted: 1/21/2013 5:58:05 AM EDT
[#8]
There was a thread where a guy installed an actual safe inside an upright freezer. Pretty cool idea.

Searched and found this;

Similar idea.
Gun safe
Link Posted: 1/21/2013 6:09:58 AM EDT
[#9]
Never heard of a crook breaking into a dishwasher before.....

Just might be crazy enough to work....
Link Posted: 1/21/2013 6:19:27 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

Under the circumstances, it's actually a good idea. Imo
Link Posted: 1/21/2013 6:20:13 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Let me guess, the OP is not a member of MENSA?  

The OP actually was as a young teen.
Link Posted: 1/21/2013 6:23:02 AM EDT
[#12]

Put Break Free CLP in soap dispenser, run cleaning cycle, WIN!
Link Posted: 1/21/2013 6:31:32 AM EDT
[#13]
i cant decide if this is genius, or insanity
Link Posted: 1/21/2013 6:33:23 AM EDT
[#14]
I gotta give props for a good poll
Link Posted: 1/21/2013 6:36:12 AM EDT
[#15]
I like the idea.

Of course if you had a working deep freezer you could store your guns in sealed plastic bags in the bottom of the deep freezer, then pour water on top to seal them in the freezer. Genius!

Edit: You poll answer depends on the definition of "is."
Link Posted: 1/21/2013 6:37:21 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
I voted squirrel.

Ditto.
Link Posted: 1/21/2013 6:41:18 AM EDT
[#17]
SIIDWAPP

Stick It In DishWasher And Post Pics
Link Posted: 1/21/2013 6:42:03 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
I like the idea.

Of course if you had a working deep freezer you could store your guns in sealed plastic bags in the bottom of the deep freezer, then pour water on top to seal them in the freezer. Genius!

Edit: You poll answer depends on the definition of "is."

Nice!  Make it better: mannequin head with wig slathered with ketchup, clear plastic bag placed in freezer center stage.

Any thief with the audacity to look in the freezer might rethink who he is fucking with
Link Posted: 1/21/2013 6:45:26 AM EDT
[#19]
Anything with a visible lock is going to invite a look-see.  
Link Posted: 1/21/2013 6:50:19 AM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Under the circumstances, it's actually a good idea. Imo

If dishwashers aren't the type of thing a "scrapper" would grab for metal content it seems like a good idea.

I might put it in a basement or leave it right in the kitchen so it's hard to get out of the house though.  Garage is just asking for someone to want to "take it off your hands as a favor" some night.
Link Posted: 1/21/2013 6:51:46 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

Yep. I'm going with spotless.
Link Posted: 1/21/2013 7:00:53 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
OK, I sold my safe to fund taxes and things. I will need a new one eventually or come up with another solution.

I have a dishwasher that does not work, or I don't think it does. It hasn't been used since I was about 8 years old, and I'm 45 now.

My idea is to affix a lock to it, remove all hoses etc. It seems that it's just something most thieves would overlook. I don't have but a couple of guns left now, and I can make it where they will fit. They stay out unless I'm gone anyway. It would be used just to store documents and a couple of guns and that's it.

Good idea or bad?

Im not concerned with your idea as I am curious as to why you have a non working dishwasher for 37 years lying about your place?
Link Posted: 1/21/2013 7:01:39 AM EDT
[#23]
The barrels of the rifles will stick out of the top where you cut out the hole.
Link Posted: 1/21/2013 7:03:12 AM EDT
[#24]
I like the idea of hiding in plain sight. But probably not very effective as a safe...
Link Posted: 1/21/2013 7:04:19 AM EDT
[#25]
Find an old side by side refrigerator. Obviously it does not have to work.

You can make a poor mans gunsafe out of it. I still have mine even though I now have a safe.

Works like a charm and is moisture proof with a golden rod in it and some desiccant.
Link Posted: 1/21/2013 7:04:37 AM EDT
[#26]
Uparmored dishwasher?
Link Posted: 1/21/2013 7:07:01 AM EDT
[#27]
Hiding is often better than just plain securing, but with this thread, now everyone knows to check the dishwasher, and it is no longer hiding.
Link Posted: 1/21/2013 7:07:07 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

Yup.
Link Posted: 1/21/2013 7:07:23 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Good idea or bad?

Im not concerned with your idea as I am curious as to why you have a non working dishwasher for 37 years lying about your place?

It's part of the cabinetry ( what da ya know, it was a word ), and was installed in 1959. It may work, but we haven't used it in 35 years.  I wash dishes in the sink. I just opened it for the first time since the 1990s yesterday and was surprised to find that there were some really nice pots and pans in there. I needed to buy some and now I don't. I guess my dad was just storing them there because he never used it either.
Link Posted: 1/21/2013 7:20:19 AM EDT
[#30]
Do you have an unused trash compactor to keep the AKs in?
Link Posted: 1/21/2013 7:20:36 AM EDT
[#31]
Just a thought; but what about your AC return vent behind the filter?
Link Posted: 1/21/2013 7:28:52 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
Just a thought; but what about your AC return vent behind the filter?

We have the old openings made into the house for window type units. It's a 3300 sq ft ranch style brick home built in 1959. It has central heating ( that I don't use , too expensive ), but not central air.
Link Posted: 1/21/2013 12:22:33 PM EDT
[#33]
Gotcha.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top