Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 10/17/2004 12:10:36 PM EDT
Link Posted: 10/17/2004 6:58:50 PM EDT
[#1]
Everyone has an opinion on this subject.  Here is mine:

If you have a motivational problem where if you laid off a day between workouts, it would lessen the chance of you maintaining a workout program, then I would suggest that you workout every day.  You don't have to do just upper body one day and lower body the next day.  You can change it up.  It is what works best for you.  There is nothing written in stone on this.  What I would suggest that you do, is work up a plan, and write it down.  Do it for 6-8 weeks.  At the end of that time, Take a look at what is going on.  Evaluate your program, and then change it.  The exercises that you probably don't like, are the muscle groups that need the most work.  Change your program, and write it down.  By changing your program every 6-8 weeks, you keep your body from falling into a rut, and stopping your progress.  
Link Posted: 10/17/2004 7:18:18 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 10/17/2004 9:18:56 PM EDT
[#3]
Or you could do.
Day one Chest Shoulders and triceps
Day two Biceps Back and forearms
Day  3 Cardio and abs
Day 4 day off

The start the cycle over. Sometimes its nice to get other people ideas when you cant come up with any on your own. Just dont over train, you will hurt yourself in the long run.
Link Posted: 10/17/2004 9:21:00 PM EDT
[#4]
I used to work out three days a week. One day was back, one day chest and shoulders, the last was legs.
Link Posted: 10/17/2004 9:43:08 PM EDT
[#5]
Heres my routine.  

Monday, heavy chest and back
Tuesday, Shoulders, abs.
Weds, Arms
Thurs, light chest, back, abs.
Friday, legs.

Usually mix it up with different machines, and free weights week to week so your body doesn't get used to a certain motion or machine.
You can mix it up but let the group you worked out rest a day.

Sometimes I do 6 days a week.  Usually about an hour.
You can also throw some cardio in.

I get good results with this workout.
Link Posted: 10/17/2004 9:46:13 PM EDT
[#6]
Oh yeah and I usually do 10 reps, and 3 sets.   First routine involves a stretch then a warmup lift.

Then medium weight, heavy weight, and back down to medium or light weight.  Always pushing to full fatigue.

On cable pull machines I do 3 sets of 7 on each excersise.
Link Posted: 10/18/2004 5:27:28 AM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 10/18/2004 6:42:43 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
Not sure what you mean by "working out".  I would NOT lift weights everyday.  If you can do that you are not lifting hard enough.  

Sorry, have to disagree with that completely.  If you are careful to isolate the muscle groups you're working out, you should have no problem working out upper body one day and lower the next.
I do chest and biceps on day one, legs day two, shoulders and tris day three and back day four and do heavy weight and definitely lift "hard enough" on every single day.  
Link Posted: 10/18/2004 7:41:10 AM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 10/18/2004 7:57:02 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:
Not sure what you mean by "working out".  I would NOT lift weights everyday.  If you can do that you are not lifting hard enough.  

Sorry, have to disagree with that completely.  If you are careful to isolate the muscle groups you're working out, you should have no problem working out upper body one day and lower the next.
I do chest and biceps on day one, legs day two, shoulders and tris day three and back day four and do heavy weight and definitely lift "hard enough" on every single day.  

You only lift four days a week then?  That is fine.  Your split is almost EXACTLY like my split above.

6-7 days a week is overtraining any way you slice it, unless you're juicing.  Beginners are especially prone to overtraining.  

Sorry, I must have misunderstood your post then.  I thought you were saying you shouldn't lift weights on consecutive days even if it was for different muscle groups.  My bad.
Link Posted: 10/18/2004 10:23:10 AM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 10/18/2004 12:23:54 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
No problem Rik.  

Many newbies to lifting actually do work their ENTIRE upper body one day, then their ENTIRE lower body the next, and repeat this everyday.  Baaaad...

Hell, I couldn't even DO the entire upper body in one day.  I do chest and my triceps are burned straight out right along with it.
Link Posted: 10/22/2004 7:15:35 PM EDT
[#13]
Denny,

Go check out this website. Lots of info on Upper/Lower body splits and different routines. Use the pull-down menu and select "weight training workouts"...ah I'll just link ya to it as well...

http://www.exrx.net/

The weight training page is:

http://www.exrx.net/Lists/WorkoutMenu.html

FWIW I do a full body workout every other day, but I change up the exercises so I dont wind up doing the same thing twice in a row.
Link Posted: 10/23/2004 1:32:30 PM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 10/23/2004 3:05:27 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

You only lift four days a week then?  That is fine.  Your split is almost EXACTLY like my split above.

6-7 days a week is overtraining any way you slice it, unless you're juicing.  Beginners are especially prone to overtraining.  

I would say that lifting 6-7 days a week is overtraining if you lift with any kind of intensitry regardless if you are chemically assisted or not.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top