Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 10/3/2001 5:16:25 AM EDT
Should I upgrade my computer,or buy a  PS-2?
both will cost about the same amount.
I have the original PS,but I have not even seen the PS-2 in action.Input would be appreciated.
Link Posted: 10/3/2001 2:18:25 PM EDT
[#1]
upgrade your computer
Link Posted: 10/3/2001 2:29:52 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 10/3/2001 2:45:15 PM EDT
[#3]
Well are you only looking to play games?

Take into consideration that a top of the line Geforce 3 video card is the same price as a PS2.
If you processor isn’t up to par, add in another $150+ depending on how fast you want to go. More RAM $50+. What kind of hard drive do you have? 20GB should be the bare minimum for a gaming system. Make sure you at least have an ATA66 hard drive. ATA100 is better, but your motherboard has to support it.

Post you computer system specs so we can better help you make a decision. I have a decent computer setup for games, and a PS2. Sometimes it’s really nice to just pop in a game, turn on the TV and stereo, and play. You don’t have to deal with Windows crashing, patches, hang ups, bugs etc.

As far as seeing the PS2 in action, the graphics are beautiful. Most games run at 30 or 60 FSP with no slowdowns. It doubles as a DVD player, had optical digital out for your 5.1 receiver. If you have a stereo hooked to your TV games really come alive. I don’t think you would be disappointed with it.
Link Posted: 10/3/2001 3:09:39 PM EDT
[#4]
screw ps2 im waitng for gamecube!  but then agien im a die hard cosole player ive owned at some point almost every console except 3D0 and cdi and the varius 2600 clones and updates
Link Posted: 10/3/2001 3:14:04 PM EDT
[#5]
I was going to get a PS2 at the price drop, but now I see they have "Spy Hunter"!
Link Posted: 10/3/2001 3:39:22 PM EDT
[#6]
Gamecube is nothing more than Mario and his damn lizard prancing around. Yes, from the screen shots I've seen the graphics are beautiful. But the games are VERY childish. I gave up on the N64 after about a year. When they start programming to a more adult crowd I will reconsider.

Until then the PS2 will make me happy. And the Xbox is right around the corner.
Link Posted: 10/4/2001 12:45:32 AM EDT
[#7]
If you are a console gamer, I would suggest to go try the PSX2 at the stores before buying and also wait till the X-Box comes out. By then if you still like PSX2 over the X-Box it will be cheaper.

If you don't like them both then upgrade your PC.

ASR
Link Posted: 10/4/2001 5:39:26 AM EDT
[#8]
I've got a
P3 450
128 RAM
32mb TNT-2 Ultra
SB live Mp3
8 gig HD (dunno what type)

It runs all games fine,but the new games like MAX PAYNE (fucking most awesome game ever made)
I have to put settings to medium to maintain good FPS.
I want to get a P4 1500 but I would need a new board and memory from what I've heard.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top