Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 5/4/2018 3:31:44 PM EDT
The D50 was a pretty good DSLR camera in it's time, it still takes pictures, and I was able to use my lens from my film camera.

But it can't take video, it has 5mp resolution, can only take 1gb cards.

So what should I consider upgrading to? I'm more of a casual photog anymore. I would even consider brand change. I think I was looking at the Nikon 3xxx series last time I thought about this, more for the lens compatibility then.

Say maybe up to $600 for body and, say, a 30-70 lens to start? Anticipate getting a bonus in July, so plenty of time to finger stuff if I can find them.
Link Posted: 5/4/2018 5:39:11 PM EDT
[#1]
$6-700 for a body could land you a refurb D7200, which is what I really recommend for folks. Lens wise, what’ll you mostly be using it for? I can try to dig up some deals later tonight or over the weekend.
Link Posted: 5/4/2018 5:44:54 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
$6-700 for a body could land you a refurb D7200, which is what I really recommend for folks. Lens wise, what’ll you mostly be using it for? I can try to dig up some deals later tonight or over the weekend.
View Quote
Like I said, I'm more of a casual photographer now, no specific subjects. Current lens are a 30-70, and a 70-300. I will probably be getting similar in the long run.
Link Posted: 5/4/2018 6:09:20 PM EDT
[#3]
Isnt the d50 desirable for
Astrophotography?
Link Posted: 5/4/2018 6:36:21 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Like I said, I'm more of a casual photographer now, no specific subjects. Current lens are a 30-70, and a 70-300. I will probably be getting similar in the long run.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Fair enough  Depending on where/when you are looking, I can probably find a deal for you.  The prices on the D7200 are dropping pretty good since the D7500 has been out a bit now, so you can get it new from B&H with a 2 lens kit for $1000, or refurb for $7-750 ish.  There will be sales and price drops between now and your bonus though, so that is something to consider.  Personally, I'd nab one when Nikon does one of their 10-25% off refurb sales.
Link Posted: 5/4/2018 7:06:28 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
The D50 was a pretty good DSLR camera in it's time, it still takes pictures, and I was able to use my lens from my film camera.

But it can't take video, it has 5mp resolution, can only take 1gb cards.

So what should I consider upgrading to? I'm more of a casual photog anymore. I would even consider brand change. I think I was looking at the Nikon 3xxx series last time I thought about this, more for the lens compatibility then.

Say maybe up to $600 for body and, say, a 30-70 lens to start? Anticipate getting a bonus in July, so plenty of time to finger stuff if I can find them.
View Quote
I was in your exact situation a few months ago. I got a D7200 from Amazon. Been pleased with it since I got it. Video and photo options are great for casual users and the menus are not too complicated. One of the factors i had to consider was the compatibility of the lenses I had from my D50 kit. The D7200 works with them, so that was a plus for me.
Link Posted: 5/4/2018 9:37:38 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 5/5/2018 10:16:35 AM EDT
[#7]
I will consider the 7200 then. Lens compatibility would be a plus for sure.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top