Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/11/2014 1:11:08 AM EDT
So, here it is past 0400 in my AO.

Have a general question for general discussion.

I currently have a 2007 FJ Cruiser. While I love this vehicle, I have found that I am always needing to use a trailer or borrow someone's truck more often than not. So I have been seriously considering trading this vehicle for a truck. I owe some on this FJ still as a I bought it used. I do have some equity in it, so that will go a little towards financing another vehicle. I am looking at used trucks under 70k miles.

What's GD's opinion of the main line of trucks. Not considering a GM, so they are out of the running. Looks like Tundras and Tacoma's are out as well because even used they are over my budget of 20k $$ or less.

So as it stands it's Nissan Frontiers in V6 (mpg is decent) F150 in V6 (again decent mpg) or the Dodge Ram.

Having a hard time finding decent used F150 though that isn't very high mileage. Guess no one trades these in? Can find the Nissan and the Dodge fairly easily though.

Bear in mind also, just using this for general truck use. Not pulling anything very heavy, and no rock crawling. Prefer extended cab, but not the 4 door.
Link Posted: 8/11/2014 1:13:12 AM EDT
[#1]
IMO I would say the Frontier.
Link Posted: 8/11/2014 1:15:57 AM EDT
[#2]
Had a first year frontier and my brother just got rid of his 4 door super charged 2004. Great, long lasting trucks but I will be buying an F150 before I go back to small truck like that again. i love the extra size you get inside and out with the F150 for damn near the same fuel economy.

Dodge can suck it in my book.
Link Posted: 8/11/2014 1:20:17 AM EDT
[#3]
Too bad GM is out of the running, they make the best truck period. I own a commercial roofing company and only have GM vehicles in my fleet. They are the most reliable, get the best gas milage and have the lowest cost of ownership of any other brand.
Link Posted: 8/11/2014 1:23:31 AM EDT
[#4]
Fronty is a decent truck. We have had a few.  Largest failing, which may now be fixed, is an enormous turn radius. The 4 liter engine is stout.
Link Posted: 8/11/2014 1:23:47 AM EDT
[#5]
Have you considered a small trailer you could pull with the FJ?
Link Posted: 8/11/2014 1:44:29 AM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
View Quote

I have, and I do own a small trailer (5x8) but I live about 25 miles from work. And I often stop by Lowes or Home Depot for random shit, and hate taking the trailer to work. Either that or I forget to bring it when I need to run by the store. Or since I am in town I find stuff that always needs picked up one way or another. It's just an inconvenience most of the time.

Good news to here about the Frontier so far. The smaller size is no concern to me, I am married. But it's just me and the wife, no kids. And we never take my vehicles as she has a newer Camry that gets 30ish plus mpg whenever we go anywhere.

Link Posted: 8/11/2014 1:44:36 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

Too bad GM is out of the running, they make the best truck period. I own a commercial roofing company and only have GM vehicles in my fleet. They are the most reliable, get the best gas milage and have the lowest cost of ownership of any other brand.
View Quote
if you only have one brand, how do you know that to be true?   If you had 10 of each it would be a better comparison

Link Posted: 8/11/2014 1:46:27 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
View Quote

Well, I am open to hear about the newer GM's I guess. That's good news to hear about yours. Just I have had bad experiences in the past and I wasn't sure about the quality of the newer ones. All I ever hear anything about is the Japanese brands, the F150 and the Dodge. So again, just going by what I regularly hear about.
Link Posted: 8/11/2014 1:48:38 AM EDT
[#9]
If you're gonna drive the wheels off of it, I say the F150.

Mine have all been good to me, while putting a lot of miles on them.
Link Posted: 8/11/2014 1:48:52 AM EDT
[#10]
if you want modern, go dodge, if you are ok with looking for a while, and getting something a bit older, a 90's ford really cant be beat.
Link Posted: 8/11/2014 1:52:24 AM EDT
[#11]
My thoughts on trucks and yes I have owned them all.

1: Ford. If you're going to buy an F150 it has to have a V8 - all half tons should have a V8. Down side to that is they will suck gas. the 5.4 is downright horrid on gas and the 5.0 is not much better, go the V6 route and you have an underpowered motor trying to power a heavy ass truck, end result more engine strain which results in bad fuel economy. Still out of them all, I don't think you can beat an F150. Really no complaints.  

2: Chevy/GMC. Pretty much the same applies here as well. IMO the 5.3 V8 is probably the best gas truck motor on the market. It gets fairly good fuel economy for a truck and has lots of "get up." Really no complaints at all with Chevys, they make a good truck.

3: Dodge. Where do I start? Shitty transmissions, cheaply made front ends, just overall shitty trucks in general.  Other than their physical appearance I really don't have anything good to say about the Ram truck. Stay the hell away from Dodge trucks at all cost. I could go on all night why Dodge makes a shit truck.

Link Posted: 8/11/2014 1:54:55 AM EDT
[#12]
I and most of my buddies are all long time mechanics..for what its worth,  check out the new GM's..they are excellent trucks, you can get into a new one up here(not nicest they make but decent) for 22-26 grand with the5.3, 4x4, crew cab nd power windows,locks, but cloth interiors..the 5.3 gets excellent fuel economy, makes good power, and the trucks are nice..at least go road test one....
Link Posted: 8/11/2014 1:55:57 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
if you only have one brand, how do you know that to be true?   If you had 10 of each it would be a better comparison

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Its all I have now.  The last non GM In my fleet was a 2002 F250SD, and it was complete garbage, will be a long time before I get another Ford truck. Before I started my own business I worked for a large contractor ,we had a fleet of over 100 trucks.  Ran mostly Ford and Chevy,  a few Honda CRV's for management. I have a 04 Explorer that the step daughter was driving until a few weeks ago when she wrecked it. Up until then it was a reliable vehicle.
Link Posted: 8/11/2014 2:03:31 AM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

View Quote
This.  Get one of those cheapy harbor freight trailers that fold up.  Fine for occasional use, big following of people who can tell you how to build them up for more regular use.  Maybe a soft top carrier or hitch carrier if you just need a little more space for camping trips or whatever.  If you like your FJ you are considering a big investment and risk going to another used truck.

edit - saw update about trailer.  Of your choices, if you can live with a full size get an F150.  If you want something smaller a Frontier is ok, and you may be able to find a simple extended cab model pretty cheap (nobody likes them, too little space).  Turning radius on them really is shit though.  Your budget should allow something that still has factory warranty.

If you like the Dodge you may as well save up a little more and buy a new one.  Trucks are cheap if you can take it easy with the options.  Especially if you can live with 2wd.

Link Posted: 8/11/2014 2:06:25 AM EDT
[#15]
I've had one of each, and my current Dodge Dakota (08) is my favorite. Drives better than the GMC, and have had fewer problems than I had with the Ford. Had all of them to about 100k miles.
Link Posted: 8/11/2014 2:10:48 AM EDT
[#16]
Well so far the consensus is Fords are very good to go, the Frontier is also good to go. I should very much keep a GM as a consideration and the Dodge is a meh. A few people have said the Dodge is good to go, but then a few have said they are crap. So it seems the Dodge is a wash.

But this is all good info as it seems I may have knocked one off the list but then have added one. So more to consider.
Link Posted: 8/11/2014 2:14:54 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Well so far the consensus is Fords are very good to go, the Frontier is also good to go. I should very much keep a GM as a consideration and the Dodge is a meh. A few people have said the Dodge is good to go, but then a few have said they are crap. So it seems the Dodge is a wash.

But this is all good info as it seems I may have knocked one off the list but then have added one. So more to consider.
View Quote

I think asking the year matters for the Dodge, the past 6 or 7 years have been good for them. Early 00's Dodge was really making some shitty vehicles.
Link Posted: 8/11/2014 2:14:59 AM EDT
[#18]
my last F150 with a V8 ran for 250K miles with out major repairs..brakes, rotors etc yes,,drive train issues, Nope..total repairs in15 years was under $5k
my current F150 with a V6 is at 175k currently with a total about $3.5k in total repairs to date. one was a tranny issue for about $800 (previous owner was an idiot)
current truck was T-boned 4 years ago, damage barely visible, mostly to the frame. Bit of weather stripping to keep water out and I've been driving the wheels off of it since. probably going for another 75k before I start the search for a new FORD F150
Link Posted: 8/11/2014 2:16:56 AM EDT
[#19]
Good point, because that's what I am looking for usually around a 2008 and up.

Edit. This is in response to governmentman and his statement about early Dodge vs newer Dodge.
Link Posted: 8/11/2014 2:21:46 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
View Quote

You are wrong. That is all.
Link Posted: 8/11/2014 2:32:01 AM EDT
[#21]
I gave up US made cars twenty years before it was cool to do so.

That being said, my last truck was going to be a Frontier or Tundra. I found myself at a Ford dealer and took a gamble on a F-150

I've been waiting for it to fall apart to call myself a dumbass and say I should have known better. I have to say, it's got 53k on the clock and still feels good and tight. I have had one issue of that transmission seal leak because it sits a lot. Other than that, it's been a great truck since 2009.
Link Posted: 8/11/2014 2:32:51 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

Edit. This is in response to governmentman and his statement about early Dodge vs newer Dodge.
View Quote

With no stats to prove it, I'm gonna call bullshit on the Dodge improvement comment. Every couple of years they come out and say something to the effect of "don't judge us by our old shitty cars and trucks...we're new and improved and have a new commitment to quality."

Well WTF? Why didn't you have a commitment to quality before? And why after you say this every couple of years, do your vehicles turn into rolling piles of shit after two or three years of use?

My parents (in their early 80's) have purchased new Dodge/Chrysler mini-vans every couple of years for the past 30 years. Not one of those vans failed to disappoint in some aspect of reliability or durability. And even if they had been perfect mechanically (which they weren't), they were still almost a decade behind other car makers with regards to design, quality and features.

This last go round of vehicle shopping for my parents I convinced them to at least take a look at Toyota vehicles and what do you know, they came home with a new Sierra. It was made in America BTW for those that care. That was very important to them.

ETA: Dodge/Chrysler is the equivalent of Taurus/Rossi in the shooting world.
Link Posted: 8/11/2014 2:34:51 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

I think asking the year matters for the Dodge, the past 6 or 7 years have been good for them. Early 00's Dodge was really making some shitty vehicles.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I just sold my Durango [00''], had no major issues at all in 14 years. Actual part failures, one [Bosch] plug and one o2 sensor that Dodge comped me on [all they wanted was the old one back]. Did have the front end recall done on it in 2002 or 2003. Never added R134 the entire time I owned it. Was still in excellent condition even after 14 years. The newer body style of truck [2004?] and SUV seemed to rust out far easier and had poorly designed drainage causing rust out and thinner poorly treated steel. The last redesign, time will tell but all the people who own them seem to like them quite well and have not had any major issues. Biggest complaint is fuel economy and that is, well, DUH, they all have the Hemi engine and what exactly did they expect when they bought it?
Link Posted: 8/11/2014 3:06:59 AM EDT
[#24]
If you want a v6 get a mid size truck. As a former Frontier owner an a current Titan owner I have had great luck with Nissan.
Link Posted: 8/11/2014 3:51:42 AM EDT
[#25]
I've owned all three and bought all three used

2000 Chevy 1500 with the Vortec engine. I loved this truck. It had Front end issues when I bought the truck though.  Had to replace the intake gasket, not a hard fix.  Ran great with little repairs besides the front end rebuild and gaskets. Just oil changes and ran great. Would buy another in a second.

2008 Ford F150. Terrible. Couldn't pay me to get another Ford. Front end issues, the 4x4 never seemed to work right. The spark plugs were a nightmare to change. Interior seemed fragile and seats tore. Terrible gas mileage.

Current truck: 2004 dodge ram 1500. Sold the F150 to buy this and some toys for around the house. I love this truck. It's got just over 100k on it, of which I put about 30-35k on. All I have had to do was change the oil. I changed the coolant too just based on mileage. It was a one owner truck I got from a Navy vet in Virginia and he gave me a folder of papers with it. As far as I can tell there have been no major repairs to it. It runs great and the Hemi is a pretty reliable engine and gets better mpg than my ford did. My only complaint is sometimes the pass window controls don't work but I hear that's a common thing.

I heat my house with wood so all my trucks get used and abused. I cut and haul approximately 5-8 cords a year on the bed and on my trailer.

If I had to sell my truck now and pick another I'd get a Dodge or Chevy.
Link Posted: 8/11/2014 3:53:31 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

My 04 Dakota has been outstanding.
Link Posted: 8/11/2014 4:50:57 AM EDT
[#27]
I have a 2014 Frontier crew cab.I love it .I was looking to buy a Tacoma but couldn't touch it for what I paid for the Frontier.It gets good gas milage and the v6 engine has tons of power.Test drive one before you buy anything else.
Link Posted: 8/11/2014 4:53:59 AM EDT
[#28]
Only two of those are real trucks.   Either the F150 or the Ram.

Can't go wrong with either.  Although I'd prefer the larger engine.
Link Posted: 8/11/2014 6:31:16 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

With no stats to prove it, I'm gonna call bullshit on the Dodge improvement comment. Every couple of years they come out and say something to the effect of "don't judge us by our old shitty cars and trucks...we're new and improved and have a new commitment to quality."

Well WTF? Why didn't you have a commitment to quality before? And why after you say this every couple of years, do your vehicles turn into rolling piles of shit after two or three years of use?

My parents (in their early 80's) have purchased new Dodge/Chrysler mini-vans every couple of years for the past 30 years. Not one of those vans failed to disappoint in some aspect of reliability or durability. And even if they had been perfect mechanically (which they weren't), they were still almost a decade behind other car makers with regards to design, quality and features.

This last go round of vehicle shopping for my parents I convinced them to at least take a look at Toyota vehicles and what do you know, they came home with a new Sierra. It was made in America BTW for those that care. That was very important to them.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

They went Toyota shopping, and came home in a GMC truck?
Link Posted: 8/11/2014 6:48:36 PM EDT
[#30]
Unless your getting a cummins, stay away from dodge.  Piss poor quality with Chrysler products and this is coming from a  '07 jeep and  '96 ram owner.

Never heard of a ford that didn't have problems, but 2 of them happened to be the infamous 6 liter power strokes that you couldn't pay and beg to keep operational

My family has owned countless gm trucks, yukons, suburbans mainly but also a few 1500's, they're all built off the same platform...never heard of any real issues with em.

Now arfcom hates gm and Chrysler because of the bailout but if I had to pick a gas truck I'd go Chevy 11 times out of 10.

No experience with Toyota trucks but as much as I hate to admit it, I hear good things

Link Posted: 8/11/2014 6:49:18 PM EDT
[#31]
Auto question?
Japan > US
/thread
Link Posted: 8/11/2014 6:53:50 PM EDT
[#32]
I just traded my frontier in for a ford f150. The f150 gets better mpg. Had zero issues with my frontier but wanted a bigger truck.
Link Posted: 8/11/2014 7:00:39 PM EDT
[#33]
I am a die hard Dodge boy. First vehicle was a 74 D-150. Have owned many of their products over the years and they have always given me good service.

Having said that I decided on a 2014 Frontier crew cab to replace my 05 Dakota. Here is my reasoning behind the decision.
I know the service manager, parts manager and other parts guy at the local Dodge dealership. I have coffee with them every morning in the shop. I get to see all these new Dodge products in the shop and most have problems with the electronics. It has gotten worse under Fiat.
I have never had good luck out of Fords. Maybe every one I ever bought was just a bad one and I just wasn't meant to have a Ford. Other people have great service out of them but I never have.
I wanted a small pickup. I like a smaller pickup and won't be pulling more than a couple thousand pounds anyway.

The final reason was 2014 Nissan Frontier S crew cab 4x4 V-6 for 26,000 out the door.
Link Posted: 8/11/2014 7:02:14 PM EDT
[#34]
Ford

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 8/11/2014 7:57:44 PM EDT
[#35]
I work for a large industrial electrical contractor and we use V6 F150 Fords for superintendent and project engineer trucks. For the trucks that actually get worked and dogged out we use V8 Chevy 1500s and 2500s. I think you'll be alright with either one.
Link Posted: 8/11/2014 8:03:05 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

I just sold my Durango [00''], had no major issues at all in 14 years. Actual part failures, one [Bosch] plug and one o2 sensor that Dodge comped me on [all they wanted was the old one back]. Did have the front end recall done on it in 2002 or 2003. Never added R134 the entire time I owned it. Was still in excellent condition even after 14 years. The newer body style of truck [2004?] and SUV seemed to rust out far easier and had poorly designed drainage causing rust out and thinner poorly treated steel. The last redesign, time will tell but all the people who own them seem to like them quite well and have not had any major issues. Biggest complaint is fuel economy and that is, well, DUH, they all have the Hemi engine and what exactly did they expect when they bought it?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

2000 Durango owner here, no major problems to speak of.  Have had it 8 years, has around 180k on the clock.
Link Posted: 8/11/2014 8:03:56 PM EDT
[#37]
Tundra?
Link Posted: 8/11/2014 8:04:36 PM EDT
[#38]
I really like the new Titan.
Link Posted: 8/11/2014 8:07:59 PM EDT
[#39]
Since the best all around truck on the market is out of your consideration, I recommend you buy a Prius.
Link Posted: 8/11/2014 8:08:47 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
View Quote

Link Posted: 8/11/2014 8:12:02 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

Well, I am open to hear about the newer GM's I guess. That's good news to hear about yours. Just I have had bad experiences in the past and I wasn't sure about the quality of the newer ones. All I ever hear anything about is the Japanese brands, the F150 and the Dodge. So again, just going by what I regularly hear about.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Well, if that's the case, you should look into the new Silverado.  The Silverado's 5.3L V8 gets better gas mileage than Ford's V6 w/ Ecoboost.

Also, there is available 0% financing on all new 2014 Silverados.
Link Posted: 8/11/2014 8:21:51 PM EDT
[#42]
Looks like everyone shitting on Dodge has experience with the older models.  I've had a 2007, 2012 and now a 14. I won't buy anything else. I've never had a problem out of them.
Link Posted: 8/11/2014 8:28:20 PM EDT
[#43]
I've got a 2007 Frontier Crew Cab SE 4x4. 102k on the odometer.

The rear axle vent is a piece of shit, look into the mods on that and replace it asap. I didn't and it cost me a new rear axle because it blew the seals.

Auto trans in some years had a transmission intercooler that leaked into the radiator/vice versa and killed the trans, be aware.

My radiator cracked around 70k, tiny pinhole leak. I replaced it in a Saturday with a lot of cursing and skinned knuckles.

I have NEVER gotten that truck stuck, and I've gone through some nasty snow and ice and across a lot of cornfields (likely culprit for the leaky radiator).

4.0V6 has plenty of ass for the truck, but sucks gas. I average about 18-19mpg now that I'm in flat country. Back in NY hills it was 17.

Pulled a 5,000lb (more, but don't tell UHaul) from NY to MO without skipping a beat. Slow drive, but it made it.

I'd buy another.
Link Posted: 8/11/2014 8:31:36 PM EDT
[#44]
Really hamstrung yourself there not considering the Silverado/Sierra.

That 5.3L V8 is solid.
Link Posted: 8/11/2014 8:31:43 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
If you want a v6 get a mid size truck. As a former Frontier owner an a current Titan owner I have had great luck with Nissan.
View Quote

Haha - I went the other way around. From the Titan to the Frontier.
Link Posted: 8/11/2014 8:55:58 PM EDT
[#46]
I'm on my 5th Chevy pickup, cheap to fix and IMO the best gas trucks around. Not too big, not too small. Not gaudy and doesn't come in fruitty colors like the imports seem to embrace. I mean really a manilla fj is just bad looking.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top