Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 10/29/2022 10:43:27 PM EDT
I need help, usually I can find answers to weird questions but this one is stumping me.

Can a retired member wear dinner dress blues to a black-tie event overseas?

It is not on a military installation but several people attending are foreign military and are planning to wear their uniforms.  I was told, by a source I don't trust, that I cannot wear my dinner dress blues overseas.
Link Posted: 10/29/2022 10:54:58 PM EDT
[#1]
I don't know what the coasties version of the AR670-1 is, but I'd check that.
Link Posted: 10/29/2022 11:00:10 PM EDT
[#2]
Looks like chapter 10 of whatever this might cover it.  Sounds like you should be G2G.

https://www.uscg.mil/Portals/0/OurOrganization/auxiliary/publications/AUXMAN.pdf?ver=2017-07-02-093004-213

A.8. Formal
and Ceremonial
Occasions
Wearing of the Auxiliary uniform by active or retired Auxiliarists for formal
and ceremonial occasions is authorized as follows:
a. At civilian and military events requiring formal wear (Dinner Dress
Blue Jacket or Dinner Dress White Jacket). Auxiliarists who do not
own Dinner Dress Blue/White Jacket may wear Service Dress Blue.
b. Service Dress Blue or White may be worn on occasions where Coast
Guard and other military personnel wear the same uniform.
Coast Guard Uniform Regulations, COMDTINST M1020.6 (series),
authorizes retired Coast Guard personnel to wear the dress uniform that was
prescribed at the time of their retirement, or any dress uniform that is
currently authorized for active duty personnel, to certain formal and
ceremonial events. The same holds true for Auxiliarists in retired status.
Link Posted: 10/29/2022 11:11:06 PM EDT
[#3]
With retired pin, acceptable. If military ceremony is present.
Link Posted: 10/30/2022 3:18:02 PM EDT
[#4]
Wearing the Uniform
Retired members are forbidden to wear the uniform while engaged in non-military, personal, civilian, or business enterprises. Retired members not on active duty residing or visiting in a foreign country shall not wear the uniform except when attending ceremonies or social functions by formal invitation at which the terms of the invitation or the regulation or customs of the country require wearing it.
View Quote

https://media.defense.gov/2019/Dec/09/2002222065/-1/-1/0/CIM_1000_4.PDF

Page 1-172ish

Link Posted: 11/2/2022 1:05:20 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
I need help, usually I can find answers to weird questions but this one is stumping me.

It is not on a military installation but several people attending are foreign military and are planning to wear their uniforms.  I was told, by a source I don't trust, that I cannot wear my dinner dress blues overseas.
View Quote

I don’t think you can.
Link Posted: 11/3/2022 8:14:08 PM EDT
[#6]
Well if rappers and Michel Jackson can wear uniforms and awards they never earned, its a free country.
Link Posted: 11/13/2022 8:37:54 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

View Quote

If overseas, check local laws. For example, it is flat illegal to wear a foreign uniform in Ireland without the permission of the Minister of Defense (Applications are routinely granted, route through the US Embassy's defense attaché).
Link Posted: 11/19/2022 9:55:27 PM EDT
[#8]
Thanks all, I got the answer I needed.  I will just wear my regular tux and call it good.
Top Top