Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 3/13/2011 11:39:22 AM EDT
Ok, when the wife and dog snoring gets unbearable, I get up and go sleep in one of the spare bedrooms. ( I like it better, but don't tell my wife that) There is often a strange buzz or humming noise that I hear only in this room in the middle of the night. I have actually gotton out of bed and walked outside, around the house to the area outside this bedroom, only to hear NO noise at all outside. I live in a rural area where there is almost no noise whatsoever at night, (except for the asshole neighbor's 3 dogs that live outside). I have narrowed down the noise to only one possible source: The main electric line to the house comes off the pole in front and runs straight to the corner where the bed is in that upstairs room. I think noise is resonating through the wall from that line.
Anybody heard of such a thing?? Do you think my electric company would laugh at me, or could they do something about it? It is really annoying.
No, I am not disturbed, and no, I am not on drugs Thanks
Link Posted: 3/13/2011 11:41:16 AM EDT
[#1]
You should ask your wife what she knows about the 'strange buzzing noise'.
Link Posted: 3/13/2011 11:42:16 AM EDT
[#2]
I thought I heard someone knocking at my front door this morning at 6am.

That strange buzzing you hear are the aliens and their spaceship.  They only visit you when you're alone.
Link Posted: 3/13/2011 11:42:58 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
Ok, when the wife and dog snoring gets unbearable, I get up and go sleep in one of the spare bedrooms. ( I like it better, but don't tell my wife that) There is often a strange buzz or humming noise that I hear only in this room in the middle of the night. I have actually gotton out of bed and walked outside, around the house to the area outside this bedroom, only to hear NO noise at all outside. I live in a rural area where there is almost no noise whatsoever at night, (except for the asshole neighbor's 3 dogs that live outside). I have narrowed down the noise to only one possible source: The main electric line to the house comes off the pole in front and runs straight to the corner where the bed is in that upstairs room. I think noise is resonating through the wall from that line.
Anybody heard of such a thing?? Do you think my electric company would laugh at me, or could they do something about it? It is really annoying.

Well that's your problem. Correct that, buzzing will either 1) go away or 2) become immensely entertaining.
Link Posted: 3/13/2011 11:43:16 AM EDT
[#4]
Poltergeist
Link Posted: 3/13/2011 11:43:48 AM EDT
[#5]
This is productive
Link Posted: 3/13/2011 11:43:52 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

Link Posted: 3/13/2011 11:46:08 AM EDT
[#7]
If you have a split system heat pump, you may be hearing harmonics as gas runs through the line set that is going through the wall. Possible?
Link Posted: 3/13/2011 11:49:08 AM EDT
[#8]
Thanks,but no heat pump. Oil fired.
Link Posted: 3/13/2011 11:50:59 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

Yes, High Tension Lines, Street Lights and Meters all emit a humming noise.

Link Posted: 3/13/2011 11:51:18 AM EDT
[#10]
60 cycle hum?
Link Posted: 3/13/2011 11:52:19 AM EDT
[#11]
Doesn't sound like you're crazy.  I would definitely call them, but they probably will only check up the pole feeding your house.  

I've read before that aluminum feed wires can shrink enough to cause vibrations which would cause a noise you're describing.  No electrician though.
Link Posted: 3/13/2011 11:54:18 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

i chortled

Link Posted: 3/13/2011 11:55:40 AM EDT
[#13]
paranormal activity
Link Posted: 3/13/2011 11:57:51 AM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

i don't think there's much need for this thread to carry on.

well played sir.

Link Posted: 3/13/2011 11:59:00 AM EDT
[#15]
I used to experience this at my grandparent's house when I was a kid. It ended up being the hum of the refrigerator, which was only audible when everything else in the house was perfectly still. The small vibration from that refrigerator was noticeable from the other end of the house.....but only when everything was perfectly still.

Unplug all your electric motors in the house tonight for an hour or so. See if the noise disappears.
Link Posted: 3/13/2011 12:01:52 PM EDT
[#16]
It could be the AC/DC adapter for your electronic devices.
Link Posted: 3/13/2011 12:06:08 PM EDT
[#17]
Have someone turn your breakers on and off until you find the right one, then start unplugging things on that line.  

Is the buzz accompanied by moans?
Link Posted: 3/13/2011 12:09:04 PM EDT
[#18]
No moans. Sometimes it's higher pitched. Like somebody a half mile away running a machine in their shop. But you can't hear it outside. I'll try disconnecting things like you suggested. But it only comes from the one outside wall.
Link Posted: 3/13/2011 12:11:06 PM EDT
[#19]
A few times a month I get woken up by a weird low volume low dcb humming.
I can hear it outside but it is way louder inside.  Narrowed it down to possible neighbor using a dryer.
Link Posted: 3/13/2011 12:14:24 PM EDT
[#20]
Sorry. Can't a guy jerk off in a stranger's closet without catching all this shit?!?!
If you'll just be quiet, I'll finish and go away...

ETA: Though I've seen all I need to from the closet, for the benefit of the rest of the class, could you follow the rules and post pics of the wife?

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 3/13/2011 12:15:07 PM EDT
[#21]
Link Posted: 3/13/2011 12:15:29 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
60 cycle hum?

Dyna-mo hum.............
Link Posted: 3/13/2011 12:17:43 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

Quoted:

Link Posted: 3/13/2011 12:17:56 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
Quoted:
60 cycle hum?

Dyna-mo hum.............

Dyna-mo hum,wheres this dyna-mo comin from?
Link Posted: 3/13/2011 12:18:34 PM EDT
[#25]

It's the sound of an alien anal probe......
Link Posted: 3/13/2011 12:19:03 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
Sorry. Can't a guy jerk off in a stranger's closet without catching all this shit?!?!
If you'll just be quiet, I'll finish and go away...

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile

An old joke spiced up by a new twist.
Link Posted: 3/13/2011 12:21:11 PM EDT
[#27]
low voltage transformer?
Link Posted: 3/13/2011 12:21:51 PM EDT
[#28]
Do you have any of those scented oil plug in air fresheners? I had this humming noise I was having a hard time fuguing out where it was, finally tracked it down to one of the plug in air fresheners, the fan would change it's speed up and down every couple seconds, and resonate through the wall a bit.
Link Posted: 3/13/2011 12:26:41 PM EDT
[#29]
noises I have identified in my house while it is quiet.  Took me a while to locate them initially too.  They sound like they are coming from nowhere and everywhere at the same time.

-Computer speakers when left on
-Cell phone charger in bathroom
-laptop power supply
Link Posted: 3/13/2011 12:39:01 PM EDT
[#30]
Get a cheap stethoscope from the drug store and use it to localize the noise/vibration.  If you don't want to spend the money, you can do the same thing by using a large screwdriver.  Press the knob end to your ear and the point to the wall or other objects, you will know it when you find it...do I really have to say be careful doing this around electrical sources?
Link Posted: 3/13/2011 12:53:05 PM EDT
[#31]
Do you have a ceiling fan running? Mine makes some odd noises on occasion.

Kharn
Link Posted: 3/13/2011 12:54:31 PM EDT
[#32]
Link Posted: 3/13/2011 12:56:09 PM EDT
[#33]
This is ARFCOM.

Somehow the answer to your problem will involve gunfire.
Link Posted: 3/13/2011 12:58:53 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

Link Posted: 3/13/2011 12:59:09 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

Fucking lol'd
Link Posted: 3/13/2011 2:21:22 PM EDT
[#36]
Do you have tinnitus?
Link Posted: 3/13/2011 2:24:25 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

this.  let me guess, when you get up and walk around, the noise strangley stops.... and when you peak your head in the bedroom your wife is seemingly fast asleep.....
Link Posted: 3/13/2011 2:27:03 PM EDT
[#38]
Bees, wasps, or yellowjackets in the wall.
Link Posted: 3/13/2011 2:31:50 PM EDT
[#39]
Icemaker?

Once I found that two low voltage power supplies (like cell phone charges) being too close created an annoying buzz sound - I simply moved them apart.

Link Posted: 3/13/2011 2:38:55 PM EDT
[#40]
Smell your wife`s vibrator and see if it smells like the dogs ass.
Link Posted: 3/13/2011 2:44:56 PM EDT
[#41]
A powerline attached to the outside of my bedroom wall at my parent's house.  When I was little I would here humming in the wall and think it was full of bees.  

eta

Speaking of bees, my room mate noticed a dark wet looking spot on the ceiling above his bed one day.  He climbed up on the bed to examine it.  He poked it with his finger and a cd sized chunk of ceiling fell down along with a swarm of bees.  I lol'd.
Link Posted: 3/13/2011 3:11:22 PM EDT
[#42]

Quoted:

I used to experience this at my grandparent's house when I was a kid. It ended up being the hum of the refrigerator, which was only audible when everything else in the house was perfectly still. The small vibration from that refrigerator was noticeable from the other end of the house.....but only when everything was perfectly still.
Unplug all your electric motors in the house tonight for an hour or so. See if the noise disappears.

Don't forget attic vent fans and bathroom exhaust fans.

Link Posted: 3/13/2011 3:21:31 PM EDT
[#43]
Weird.  I had the same problem last month and then it abruptly stopped.  Never determined the source.  I wish I could have had some nice equipment to determine the sounds characteristics and determine its source.  The only power lines are 100 yds from the house, and are a two separated line setup.  Power is fed to the house via underground cable.  I also woke up and listened around the house and couldn't isolate the source.  Only sound was upstairs.  Really weird.  I was tempted to go outside and "look up", but chickened out.     Do you have any power lines nearby and has it been windy (vibration)?  Do you live near any highways (vibration)?  Let us know if it stops or if you figure it out.
Link Posted: 3/13/2011 3:23:48 PM EDT
[#44]

Is there a transformer on the pole ?

Link Posted: 3/13/2011 3:27:40 PM EDT
[#45]
Bad power line connections will sometimes hum.  Have the Power company check it out.

Impeach Obama for the Good of the People that Like to See.
Link Posted: 3/13/2011 3:28:33 PM EDT
[#46]
Wood bees or mud dobbers?I had mud dobbers outside my bedroom window,every spring I nock the mud nest off.
Link Posted: 3/13/2011 3:32:40 PM EDT
[#47]
Wife starts "snoring."
You leave.
She finishes what you can't...
(with her vibrator)
Link Posted: 3/13/2011 3:39:17 PM EDT
[#48]
I had a similar problem in my bedroom .. lol no lie

Could not figure it out.

Just a low hum in the bedroom.

Well it turns out on the other side of my bedroom wall my fish tank is there, and it has a filter that runs all the time. Cant hear it anywhere else but through the wall. In the living room its silent, but you can hear the hum through the wall.

Oh well.. at least I figured it out.
Link Posted: 3/13/2011 3:40:17 PM EDT
[#49]

Quoted:

1st post strikes again!

Link Posted: 3/13/2011 3:43:07 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Well that's your problem. Correct that, buzzing will either 1) go away or 2) become immensely entertaining.

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top