Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 10/6/2007 7:34:40 PM EDT
So I am installing a chain link fence, and I thought I was golden since I had all 3 utilities come out and do locates.....

Fucking Electric company skipped the main for some reason..

Anyhow i nicked it with the auger and stripped some insulation......Any tips on repairs?
Link Posted: 10/7/2007 12:55:31 AM EDT
[#1]
Call a local electrician.  They'll know the conditions you'll have to deal with (environmentally, anyway) as well as local codes, etc.
Link Posted: 10/7/2007 1:35:54 AM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
Call a local electrician.  They'll know the conditions you'll have to deal with (environmentally, anyway) as well as local codes, etc.

Good advice...

You DO NOT want to fix this yourself,  it is too easy to get yourself killed.
Link Posted: 10/7/2007 1:59:05 AM EDT
[#3]
Third vote for hiring an electrician.
Link Posted: 10/7/2007 2:01:07 AM EDT
[#4]
First in on "dibs on your guns"
Link Posted: 10/8/2007 7:00:28 AM EDT
[#5]
You cannot turn off the power in this one.

The fault current is up to 10,000 amps, even though it is only 120/240 V.

Link Posted: 10/8/2007 7:07:01 AM EDT
[#6]
Electric company won't fix it even though they failed to mark their own lines?

-Foxxz
Link Posted: 10/8/2007 10:09:01 AM EDT
[#7]
Raychem's MBSM wrap around jacket repair sleeve will do the trick. It is good for up to 35 kV and only requires a torch since it is heat shrink. It wraps around the cable and is held in place with a zipper so you don't have to splice the cable. Shrink it down and shove some dirt on it since it is URD rated.
Link Posted: 10/8/2007 10:19:17 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
You cannot turn off the power in this one.

The fault current is up to 10,000 amps, even though it is only 120/240 V.

Actually I can and did.  The meter is on the pole with a disco there.  I guess I should have mentioned that.

I got it patched up without incident.
Link Posted: 10/8/2007 10:42:25 AM EDT
[#9]
         In my neck of the woods if you call CBYD (Call before you dig) and dammage a utility it is on them. This only goes for public property but if your fence was on the property line along the street you would be covered. YMMV
Link Posted: 10/8/2007 5:36:19 PM EDT
[#10]
In most places that means it is your cable, not the POCOs.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top