Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 7
Link Posted: 5/16/2015 7:56:47 AM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

You really think the tattoed freak of a graphic designer who designed this shirt has any idea that it would get a negative reaction from...anyone?  
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Not a big deal.
And yes I was in the ARMY.

Not seeing the correlation here?

We Marines see things in a different light and we see things such as this as being sacred.

What's sacred?  There is no flag, no EGA, no USMC symbology of any sort in the image.  It's some dudes raising a hoop, not a flagraising on Mt. Suribachi.  The layout of the people is not coincidental, but it's not meant to diminish anything that happened on Iwo Jima, how you can you even draw that conclusion?  

Yet its funny how you recognize it as an Iwo Jima symbol too.  Marketing, how does it work?  

You really think the tattoed freak of a graphic designer who designed this shirt has any idea that it would get a negative reaction from...anyone?  

Um...  Under Armor isn't exactly a small company.  I bet hundreds of people in the company saw this before it was released.  My point is that they designed the shirt so people recognize it.  You did.  Again, I'm not pissed about it but it's not very classy.
Link Posted: 5/16/2015 8:01:45 AM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:

I think you should go deliver some to him.............................  

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
OP needs to drink decaf

I don't drink coffee.

I'm at work so I can't post as freely as I want.

I drive a Acura and a Ford.

I'm not overly offensive I just took it as disrespectful and classless.
Link Posted: 5/16/2015 8:03:34 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
Its all a misunderstanding. The urban youths depicted in the shirt are actually stealing that basketball hoop. The image is of them rolling it down the road.

also under armor is overpriced shit anyways. Many better alternatives for the money.
View Quote

Link Posted: 5/16/2015 8:04:03 AM EDT
[#4]
Marketing research had shown that during the recent riots and episodes of mass looting, the looters were in large part, bypassing the Under Armour merchandise in favor of the athletic shoes and sporting goods manufactured by other companies.

This obviously resulted in an effort  to make the Under Armour brand more desirable to that demographic.

Nothing to be all upset over.
Link Posted: 5/16/2015 8:09:48 AM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 5/16/2015 8:10:52 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

Try to focus your anger on the government that abused the sacrifices made by those Marines and Sailors.  Think of the shirt as an homage to their awesomeness, and think about Nancy Pelosi and the Hughes Amendment and bans on selling individual cigarettes and bans on possession of orchids and mandatory government health care as an affront to the sacrifice those Marines and Sailors made.  Try to focus your hate on the things over which those men would have come unglued and possibly taken up arms, and remember that the rest of us are such pussies we only get riled up over a T-shirt, and continue funding bank bailouts and paying 30% + tax rates so vote-cows can burn down a city because a criminal was ruffed up.  Think about Eric Holder and Cass Sunstein.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Maybe I'm just an asshole and I see stuff like this as being disrespectful to the Marines and Sailors that Died on Iwo Jima.

Try to focus your anger on the government that abused the sacrifices made by those Marines and Sailors.  Think of the shirt as an homage to their awesomeness, and think about Nancy Pelosi and the Hughes Amendment and bans on selling individual cigarettes and bans on possession of orchids and mandatory government health care as an affront to the sacrifice those Marines and Sailors made.  Try to focus your hate on the things over which those men would have come unglued and possibly taken up arms, and remember that the rest of us are such pussies we only get riled up over a T-shirt, and continue funding bank bailouts and paying 30% + tax rates so vote-cows can burn down a city because a criminal was ruffed up.  Think about Eric Holder and Cass Sunstein.

Link Posted: 5/16/2015 8:11:11 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

We Marines see things in a different light and we see things such as this as being sacred.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Not a big deal.

I'm as much a Marine today as the day I graduated MCRD San Diego, with just as much pride. More so in fact.  I find the shirt stupid, but not offensive or rude. Immitation, even poorly done, is meant as flattery.

I do think it minimizes the sacrifice of all the men who fought there.
Link Posted: 5/16/2015 8:14:03 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Not a big deal.

I bet you're a load of fun at parties.

Link Posted: 5/16/2015 8:14:41 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
OP needs to drink decaf

Link Posted: 5/16/2015 8:14:45 AM EDT
[#10]
Hell why not go all in and have one with a guy holding the basketball pole on his shoulder like an RPG sighting at a Blackhawk through the hoop?

Swap the Blakhawk for a Police helicopter and I bet sales would be through the roof.

Maybe putting a 40 in Abe's hand would increase sales too.

UA is Headquartered in Philly. I guess I'm not shocked. I find it Disrespectful though.
Link Posted: 5/16/2015 8:15:00 AM EDT
[#11]
I was going to order one of those shirts but then I remembered the OP.  So I ordered two to make up for his lack of purchase.
Link Posted: 5/16/2015 8:16:31 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

I'm as much a Marine today as the day I graduated MCRD San Diego, with just as much pride. More so in fact.  I find the shirt stupid, but not offensive or rude. Immitation, even poorly done, is meant as flattery.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Not a big deal.

Well, here's the problem - you don't make your screen name about the USMC, nor your avatar. You need to wrap your entire identity around it just a bit more.
Link Posted: 5/16/2015 8:16:43 AM EDT
[#13]

Link Posted: 5/16/2015 8:17:15 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Not a big deal.

Depends on how much alcohol there is.
Link Posted: 5/16/2015 8:21:16 AM EDT
[#15]
Man, and people bitch about how thin-skinned cops are.

Former Army. I see nothing wrong with it.
Link Posted: 5/16/2015 8:23:19 AM EDT
[#16]
Good grief take a klonipin
Link Posted: 5/16/2015 8:24:54 AM EDT
[#17]
United States of America: Land of the perpetually offended.
Link Posted: 5/16/2015 8:28:00 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Not a big deal.
View Quote

Me as well.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 5/16/2015 8:29:03 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
View Quote

Link Posted: 5/16/2015 8:30:37 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
I might get flamed for this, but I don't see it as being disrespectful.

View Quote

Link Posted: 5/16/2015 8:33:09 AM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

View Quote

It's really sad at what our Republic is becoming, and it's all self inflicted.
Link Posted: 5/16/2015 8:36:36 AM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:

Hell why not go all in and have one with a guy holding the basketball pole on his shoulder like an RPG sighting at a Blackhawk through the hoop?

Swap the Blakhawk for a Police helicopter and I bet sales would be through the roof.

UA is Headquartered in Philly. I guess I'm not shocked. I find it Disrespectful though.
View Quote
Well then, I guess we know who to have security look out for the next time we host a "Draw A Marine" contest.

Link Posted: 5/16/2015 8:37:13 AM EDT
[#23]
basketball kind of sucks but I don't see how the design would work with any other sport besides maybe a football field goal post. But I'm not really a football fan, either.
Link Posted: 5/16/2015 8:38:17 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
In one thread we laugh about sissies who get their panties in a wrinkle over the tiniest perceived microaggressions.

And then, we have this thread.

I can't imagine what life must be like, walking around so high-strung all the time.
View Quote

This.

Get over it OP, they're not trying to piss in your wheaties.
Link Posted: 5/16/2015 8:38:33 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

No, it's all the "liberals'" fault. That's what I keep reading here.

No way "we" are an issue.
Link Posted: 5/16/2015 8:39:55 AM EDT
[#26]
That's a horseshit Fuck You for sure.

Thanks for the heads up.

It stems from the equivalency movement.

Moral equivalence is a lie.

Gender equivalence is a lie.

There are not two versions of freedom, but they would have you doubt the constitutions asserted rights, and try to add sharia, Marx, and a smidge of feudalism.

Link Posted: 5/16/2015 8:40:10 AM EDT
[#27]
I don't think it's intentional. They are just ignorant. If someone educated them on it, I'm sure they would respond accordingly. They know it's a well known memorial/picture. They know people respect it so they want to attach their brand to it. I understand where your coming from but I think it a bit of a knee jerk reaction to just boycott someone who simply doesn't understand.
Link Posted: 5/16/2015 8:40:19 AM EDT
[#28]

Link Posted: 5/16/2015 8:44:26 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
Maybe I'm just an asshole and I see stuff like this as being disrespectful to the Marines and Sailors that Died on Iwo Jima.

same here there are a few images that should never be touched like this

It's done in poor taste... There are plenty out there that are.
Link Posted: 5/16/2015 8:45:15 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

http://www.reactionface.info/sites/default/files/images/tumblr_lo2zqb6h5P1qzsyre.gif

Great post. Agree 100%
Link Posted: 5/16/2015 8:48:11 AM EDT
[#31]
Well if you see someone wearing one, stone them to death or behead them.
Link Posted: 5/16/2015 8:48:43 AM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:
same here there are a few images that should never be touched like this.

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Link Posted: 5/16/2015 8:55:40 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

http://i.dailymail.co.uk/i/pix/2010/05/19/article-1279690-09A7E991000005DC-659_634x247.jpg

Haha I was trying to fing that picture for my (sarcastic) post..
Link Posted: 5/16/2015 8:57:25 AM EDT
[#34]
So what's the correlation? The struggle to put up a basketball goal somehow equating to the struggle to capture Iwo from the Japanese at the cost of how many lives?

Yeah, great comparison. If I were a Marine that would not sit well with me.

But whatever. I don't buy their overpriced hipster crap anyway.
Link Posted: 5/16/2015 8:57:45 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
Well then, I guess we know who to have security look out for the next time we host a "Draw A Marine" contest.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Are you drawing a dick wearing digital cami's and an 8 point cover?
Link Posted: 5/16/2015 8:58:14 AM EDT
[#36]

Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

LOL, no conservatives are just as bad at getting butthurt over things a person has an opinion about.
Link Posted: 5/16/2015 8:58:25 AM EDT
[#37]
Link Posted: 5/16/2015 9:00:51 AM EDT
[#38]
The off-brand stuff at Walmart is just as good as under armor and costs 90% less
Link Posted: 5/16/2015 9:02:49 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Link Posted: 5/16/2015 9:11:27 AM EDT
[#40]
That was 70 years ago OP.
Link Posted: 5/16/2015 9:11:43 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
View Quote

Not an asshole....I agree.
Link Posted: 5/16/2015 9:13:27 AM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

But whatever. I don't buy their overpriced hipster crap anyway.
View Quote

A hipster wouldn't be caught dead wearing UA.
Link Posted: 5/16/2015 9:16:48 AM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

How do you feel about non-Marines wearing the EGA? What about walking on the flag?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

How do you feel about non-Marines wearing the EGA? What about walking on the flag?

Depends on if they are wearing it in order to portray themselves as a Marine or in support.

There's a Gold Star dad I know who's son was killed in Iraq.  He wears a Marine Corps hat that has an EGA on the front and I have no problem with that.

Walking on the flag pisses me off
Link Posted: 5/16/2015 9:18:21 AM EDT
[#44]
Stop acting like a pussy.
Link Posted: 5/16/2015 9:20:20 AM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
I might get flamed for this, but I don't see it as being disrespectful.

View Quote

Agreed.  If peeps get "offended" by this they they are looking to be offended. This is their "wag the dog" moment.

I say: Relax cupcake, sit down and go back to popin' the tops of your pmags or dry firing that Hi-Point.
Link Posted: 5/16/2015 9:22:54 AM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

Acura, is  Japanese the same people who did this

http://www.ar15.com/media/viewFile.html?i=63337

1,177 Sailors and Marines might find parts of your post to be hypocritical

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I don't drink coffee.

Boom.  I do not understand ARF's obsession w/ jap vehicles.  
Link Posted: 5/16/2015 9:25:48 AM EDT
[#47]
Link Posted: 5/16/2015 9:26:49 AM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I don't drink coffee.

Was cheap and had low miles when I bought it.
Link Posted: 5/16/2015 9:27:33 AM EDT
[#49]
Not a Marine, Air Force. To me says that a bunch of dumb asses bouncing a ball are equal to men who fought and  died for the country. I don't buy their overpriced/hyped stuff anyway. This will be one more reason.
Link Posted: 5/16/2015 9:27:52 AM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
View Quote

Oh good lord.  You sound like one of those guys who did a single tour, got out, and then spends the rest of his life plastering EGAs on everything, working USMC into every online name and every conversation, talking about how you coulda been a lifer BUT, and getting all weepy when the Marine Corp Birthday comes around.

Man  up Nancy.
Page / 7
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top