Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 3/30/2006 5:41:13 PM EDT
Link Posted: 3/31/2006 3:39:02 AM EDT
[#1]
I plan on pulling out my Camaro Sunday. It's supposed to be in the 70's all weekend!
Link Posted: 3/31/2006 11:18:07 AM EDT
[#2]
I never put my bike up for the winter this year.  January was in the 50s & 60s here so there was little reason to.  I think I went a total of four weeks that I didnt' get to ride at least one day.
Link Posted: 3/31/2006 12:20:54 PM EDT
[#3]
Depends on which salt is used. Some of it isnt corrosive. Maybe the 33 is a fiberglass body?

I ride my bike year round when I can. Had it covered in salt dust. Hell it was like that all one winter. No rust. Well my bike is 90% aluminum anyways. but none of the steel bolts rusted. Seen many cars that were driven year round and never had rust on them even after 10 yrs. I never had rust on my 92 SOnoma 4x4 in 8 yrs owning it and that was when this area still used teh "bad salt".
Link Posted: 3/31/2006 2:48:12 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 4/2/2006 2:12:36 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

I guess I must be anal when it comes to keeping salt off my Camaro..

Its your car. Take care of it as you see fit. I know a few people who wont even take their "toy" out if theres a cloud in the sky. Friends parents have some collector cars (delorean, 63 T-bird convertible, 2 corvair converts, a nash met which is a show winner and a couple others I cant remeber) which havent even been started in 5 yrs. All are sitting in a barn (except the nash which is parked ina  28' enclosed trailer). More than likely they will need serious attention. But they wont sell them since they dont do car shows anymore. I'd offer $3000 for the delorean. Probably needs the motor rebuild, new hoses, tires, brakes and some wirig if mice got into it.
Link Posted: 4/3/2006 6:39:29 AM EDT
[#6]
I had the corvette out last week.

I love looking underneath a Florida car. It usually looks almost new.
Link Posted: 4/3/2006 7:23:25 AM EDT
[#7]
Striker my friend, can I call you my friend? Your not getting any younger. Take the freaking car out and have fun whilest U can,every time U can!.......or not
Link Posted: 4/4/2006 8:19:31 AM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 4/4/2006 8:46:14 AM EDT
[#9]
I rode my RZ a few times in the last couple of weeks, just around the neighborhood.

My son has been tearing up the lawn with his PW50.
Link Posted: 4/4/2006 9:07:52 PM EDT
[#10]
We didn't even get a day of snow here this year that I recall, errr maybe there was one now I think back, certainly nothing serious and no salt on the roads I don't believe.  I will always drive my Camaros year freakin' round.  This "winter beater" nonsense has convinced me moving to any of the northern states is not for me.

What year is your IROC?  I've had a 85 and 86 IROC (sold the 86 to my younger brother which he still has) and a 87 Z28.  I've always loved the thirdgens.  My baby was the first Camaro I had, a 85 IROC that was near mint, unfortunately I hit a small deer at like 80 mph (very lucky that junk didn't come up through the windshield...) and it ended up totalled.  I have yet to get even w/ Bambi's kind for that one.  I've moved up to a 94 Z28 here fairly recently though.  I'm going to have to get a 91-92 Z28 to build up here sometime though, they are just too sweet done up right...
Link Posted: 4/5/2006 9:24:54 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

Quoted:
I had the corvette out last week.

I love looking underneath a Florida car. It usually looks almost new.

Have you been told today..

Mags..can't do it...if you've ever saw what the salt does to cars up here..you would understand.
If I kick the bucket tomorrow..my kids will inherit a rust free Camaro!

Your a better man than me, I expect my toyo car in BOS 2rust up after 7/10yrs. I go to Tucson,....my 72 toyo still works RUST FREE! What if they(thekids) only sell dads car for MONEY. I have godchildren and helped 1 buy 1 a car and the 2 others always just want money NO gifts just cars or money! I guess its a 50/50 chance!......Fiberglass vette's NEVER rust,just stress cracks...explain this 2the wife nuknuknuk!
Link Posted: 4/5/2006 2:15:12 PM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 4/5/2006 2:24:02 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Depends on which salt is used. Some of it isnt corrosive. Maybe the 33 is a fiberglass body?

I ride my bike year round when I can. Had it covered in salt dust. Hell it was like that all one winter. No rust. Well my bike is 90% aluminum anyways. but none of the steel bolts rusted. Seen many cars that were driven year round and never had rust on them even after 10 yrs. I never had rust on my 92 SOnoma 4x4 in 8 yrs owning it and that was when this area still used teh "bad salt".

Believe me..the salt they use here is the "good" stuff.
The 33 is an all steel body...one of the women at work showed up today riding her brand new Harley!
I guess I must be anal when it comes to keeping salt off my Camaro..

Dude...one word for your affliction:
Florida....
Link Posted: 4/5/2006 2:36:29 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
We didn't even get a day of snow here this year that I recall, errr maybe there was one now I think back, certainly nothing serious and no salt on the roads I don't believe.  I will always drive my Camaros year freakin' round.  This "winter beater" nonsense has convinced me moving to any of the northern states is not for me.

What year is your IROC?  I've had a 85 and 86 IROC (sold the 86 to my younger brother which he still has) and a 87 Z28.  I've always loved the thirdgens.  My baby was the first Camaro I had, a 85 IROC that was near mint, unfortunately I hit a small deer at like 80 mph (very lucky that junk didn't come up through the windshield...) and it ended up totalled.  I have yet to get even w/ Bambi's kind for that one.  I've moved up to a 94 Z28 here fairly recently though.  I'm going to have to get a 91-92 Z28 to build up here sometime though, they are just too sweet done up right...

Yeah, none here either, whats up with that shit?

Travis
Link Posted: 4/5/2006 4:54:30 PM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 4/5/2006 4:58:02 PM EDT
[#16]
... How does all that salt end up on your roads?
Link Posted: 4/6/2006 4:01:02 AM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 4/6/2006 4:32:52 AM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:
AR-15Fan..mine is an 86. Black with gold stripes and rims. err..hang on a sec..
iroczone.com/garage/vehicle.asp?u=5%20speed&v=326

Playmoreminds...my IROC came from Florida..that's probably as close as I'll ever get.

Looks like we need to have a AR15 third gen get together! Here is a pic of my 92.

Link Posted: 4/6/2006 5:01:30 AM EDT
[#19]
Link Posted: 4/6/2006 5:14:56 AM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:
Those are kick ass seats UH. Are the front ones aftermarket?

They are from a fourth gen. They bolt right in, no modifications at all. Then I bought after market covers. Not just pull overs, you have to strip the old and hog ring on the new ones but they even give you the hog rings and pliers with the set. Cost me about $550 including the seats from a junk yard.  Hawk's I have met the owner personally and he is a great guy. Check out his T/A , Magna Charged LS1 with all the LS6 goodies. He said it was one of the few cars that scared him!
Link Posted: 4/6/2006 6:49:50 AM EDT
[#21]
Well I do have the fever, but no toys so I'm handling a lot of fever for customers right now...which is still kind of cool, I get to keep the cars for a while while I prep them and then I get to drive them all for a few days...and I get paid for it!
Link Posted: 4/6/2006 6:56:52 AM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:

Quoted:

They are from a fourth gen. They bolt right in, no modifications at all. Then I bought after market covers. Not just pull overs, you have to strip the old and hog ring on the new ones but they even give you the hog rings and pliers with the set. Cost me about $550 including the seats from a junk yard.  Hawk's I have met the owner personally and he is a great guy. Check out his T/A , Magna Charged LS1 with all the LS6 goodies. He said it was one of the few cars that scared him!

The stock fourth gen seats are pretty comfortable until the padding starts to die. Are those Wet Okole covers?
Link Posted: 4/6/2006 7:06:15 AM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

The stock fourth gen seats are pretty comfortable until the padding starts to die. Are those Wet Okole covers?

No here is the link  www.hawksthirdgenparts.com/inc/sdetail/12375
Link Posted: 4/6/2006 7:07:57 AM EDT
[#24]
Bike made its spring debute March 28.
Link Posted: 4/6/2006 7:10:50 AM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:

Quoted:
... How does all that salt end up on your roads?

That's what our dept of transportation uses to keep ice from building up on the roads. All of our snow plows have a salt spreader on them.
Along with destroying our vehicles it ruins the roads too. The salt melts the ice..which runs down into cracks in the asphalt then freezes again. That spreads the crack and the next time it snows the cycle starts all over again. Then when spring time hits and the frost comes out of the ground..the spots on the road that are cracked get pounded by vehicle traffic and the crack turns into a bunch of cracks and or a pot hole.
And don't tell me you have been driving your chopper all winter either..

... Man, you'd think they would revisit that technology. Like, this is the best we can come up with?
Link Posted: 4/6/2006 8:24:50 AM EDT
[#26]
Link Posted: 4/6/2006 2:18:10 PM EDT
[#27]

AR-15Fan..mine is an 86. Black with gold stripes and rims. err..hang on a sec..

Interesting, that's the same color scheme my 86 had.  I always secretly wanted a black/silver setup which my brother later converted it to.  Fun car, lot of good memories in that thing.  
Link Posted: 4/6/2006 2:30:30 PM EDT
[#28]
Link Posted: 4/7/2006 3:45:21 AM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:
My only requirement when I started looking was it had to be a standard..I wasn't really fussy about t- roofs either but..
the next factor and a biggy was..the body had to be rust free. Mechanical things I can fix but rusty bodies are impossible to fix unless you have very deep pockets.
This car came from Florida and has never been driven in the winter, plus it was undercoated.
The balanced, bored, blue printed 4 bolt main 350 was a bonus!

Hell yeah it is. Mine is still being pushed around by a 305. I upgraded to 3.73's and that made it a whole new car. I have some minor upgrades that have helped the wee-0-5 make a decent driver but I am stacking parts for a 383 stroker or LT1 swap.
Link Posted: 4/7/2006 3:51:07 AM EDT
[#30]
Link Posted: 4/7/2006 3:23:32 PM EDT
[#31]
Link Posted: 4/7/2006 6:57:20 PM EDT
[#32]
This is for 4th gear at 1-1.

2.73 gears: 27.35mph/1000rpm
3.08 gears: 24.24mph/1000rpm
3.23 gears: 23.10mph/1000rpm
3.42 gears: 21.82mph/1000rpm
3.73 gears: 20 mph/1000rpm
4.10 gears: 18.20mph/1000rpm
4.56 gears: 16.36mph/1000rpm

If you're running 2.73s and it sounds like you are, you'll never have a fast stoplight car, that's a mileage gear. You need 3.42s or better. Go higher than 3.42/3.73 on street tires and you wont be able to hook up.

Actually, with 300+ hp you'll have trouble launching with 3.73s and street tires.

I have 3.42s and I get tons of wheelspin on hard shifts from 1-2 and 2-3. Traction control keeps me on the road.
Link Posted: 4/8/2006 3:57:03 AM EDT
[#33]
Link Posted: 4/8/2006 10:44:11 PM EDT
[#34]
I've had the V-rod out this winter, until lately. It's getting too warm to ride here.  
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top