Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/6/2005 8:45:42 AM EDT
www.rednova.com/news/health/196561/health_chips_could_help_patients_in_us/

'Health Chips' Could Help Patients in US

Jul. 31--President Bush's former health secretary Tommy Thompson is putting the final touches to a plan that could result in US citizens having a radio frequency identification (RFID) chip inserted under their skin, The Business has learned.

The RFID capsules would be linked to a computerised database being created by the US Department of Health to store and manage the nation's health records. It could be the precursor to a similar scheme in the UK.

The president's budget for 2006 continues to support the use of health information technology by increasing funding to $125m (�70m, E103m) for pilot schemes.

Thompson, now a director of Applied Digital Solutions, the company that makes the chips, intends to publish the proposal in the next 50 days, by which time he plans to have had a VeriChip inserted in his arm. Thompson believes the capsules could help save thousands of lives every year.

VeriChip spokesman John Procter says around 98,000 people die needlessly in the US every year after being given inappropriate treatment because their medical history was not available.

"There is a vast range of people who could benefit from having an RFID chip inserted under their skin as insurance against an accident. People with adverse reactions to certain medicines such as penicillin, people with pacemakers, people with allergies, people with weak hearts, would be made safer by a process that costs around $200 per person. In fact, virtually everyone could benefit from having a chip inserted."

The company intends to lobby the UK health authorities to inject the chips into British patients.

According to Procter, the chips can also be used for financial transactions. In Europe, the Baja Beach Club chain has introduced chipping in the Netherlands and Spain.

The VeriChip is inserted at the club and means club-goers will no longer have to wait in line to pay to get in and will be able to use the chip to pay their bar bill.

Civil liberties groups such as Caspian in the US fear that the need for increased security in the wake of terrorist attacks could act as a catalyst for a more widespread use of VeriChips.
Link Posted: 8/6/2005 8:48:30 AM EDT
[#1]
The end is near!
Link Posted: 8/6/2005 8:49:08 AM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 8/6/2005 8:49:42 AM EDT
[#3]
not just no, but HELL NO!
Link Posted: 8/6/2005 8:51:47 AM EDT
[#4]
ain't nothing that an exacto can't fix.
Link Posted: 8/6/2005 8:55:33 AM EDT
[#5]
Technology That Cares™

There will be a lucrative market in removing / disabling these devices.

Good Lord, do you believe this tripe?

Get Chipped™
VeriChip™ Pre-Registration Program

VeriChip, the world’s first subdermal personal verification technology, announces a special, introductory pre-registration program. Sign up today to be among the first in the world to “Get Chipped.”

We invite you to fill out the pre-registration form below to qualify for this special introductory offer for the first 100,000 registrants and all qualified ADS Shareholders.

$50 Off - All ADSX stockholders of record will receive a $50 discount at the time of their "chipping" procedure.

$50 Off - First 100,000 registrants will receive a $50 introductory savings at the time of the their "chipping" procedure.

We appreciate your interest in VeriChip. This pre-registration program is designed to assist VeriChip Corporation in determining where and when to open Authorized VeriChip Centers in the United States. Pending further regulatory clarification, the Company will make announcements regarding the timing of future chipping procedures and Authorized VeriChip Centers.

They want you to freaking  pay for your electronic dog collar
Link Posted: 8/6/2005 8:59:59 AM EDT
[#6]
There will be blood spilled if someone tries to force that shit on me or anyone in my family.
Link Posted: 8/6/2005 9:00:15 AM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 8/6/2005 5:22:58 PM EDT
[#8]
Hey, 2003 called - and wants it's VeriChip story back!

Didn't these guys get sued and file bankruptcy a couple of years ago?  I remember some sort of investor fraud allegations being leveled at the principles and the FTC stepping in.  Looks like someone made some very large contributions to the right people.
Link Posted: 8/6/2005 5:50:47 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
Hey, 2003 called - and wants it's VeriChip story back!

Didn't these guys get sued and file bankruptcy a couple of years ago?  I remember some sort of investor fraud allegations being leveled at the principles and the FTC stepping in.  Looks like someone made some very large contributions to the right people.

This isn't old news.  This is new.  Adding it to a curent health care bill.

Link Posted: 8/6/2005 7:14:34 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
not just no, but HELL NO!

I'll be DAMNED if IM gonna put ANY kinda micro-chip in my body, they can go to hell.
Link Posted: 8/6/2005 7:15:16 PM EDT
[#11]
I'll do it. Where do I sign up. Long live the beast.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top