Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 6/6/2003 10:59:41 AM EDT

The Honda Element.

[url]http://a332.g.akamai.net/f/332/936/12h/www.edmunds.com/media/2002/new_york/03.honda.element.f3-4.500.jpg[/url]

It's a close tie with the Pontiac Aztec for fugly.

[puke]
Link Posted: 6/6/2003 11:02:35 AM EDT
[#1]
OH!  So that's what I saw!  

I saw one of those Honda Elements this week in traffic, and I wondered why anyone would produce such an ugly vehicle.  It was like in the mid 90's when all the fashion models became hideous and emaciated

"Remember when models were pretty?"
-David Spade

But Pontiac Asstek still wins for the ugliest vehicle I can think of.
Link Posted: 6/6/2003 11:04:41 AM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 6/6/2003 11:04:49 AM EDT
[#3]
still better than the AMC Pacer
Link Posted: 6/6/2003 11:06:03 AM EDT
[#4]
Not even close to the ugliest. My mother-in-law on a skateboard! Now that's UGLY!
Link Posted: 6/6/2003 11:08:37 AM EDT
[#5]
Have to agree on the Aztec.  Its really a strange looking car.  This Honda almost ties it for the ugliest.[puke]
Link Posted: 6/6/2003 11:10:27 AM EDT
[#6]
Nahhh, the Trabant...

[img]http://www.andyhoppe.com/images/trabant_halbprofil.jpg[/img]

After the wall come down in Germany, these things caome out of the woodwork from East Germany. Tooling along the Autobahn at about 40 miles an hour, smoking like they were on fire (2 stroke).

I even seen some in Dumpsters at rest areas! they were so small people would just pick them up and toss em!

Aviator
Link Posted: 6/6/2003 11:11:13 AM EDT
[#7]
waldo...i thought you said my s-10 was the ugliest thing on 4 wheels?
Link Posted: 6/6/2003 11:12:12 AM EDT
[#8]
2 stroke cars?  Do Trabant owners have to mix oil with the fuel?
Link Posted: 6/6/2003 11:15:18 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
View Quote

It was mixed in the pumps! When you stopped for gas in East Germany,  you had to be very careful what pump  you got it out of! they sounded like chain saws  lmao.

Aviator

The car is of very simple construction. It has a two cylinder two stroke 594cc engine, and a four speed column shift gear box, with a "free-wheel" in fourth gear, of similar design to older Saabs. The petrol from the carburetor flows directly into the crank case to lubricate the engine before entering the combustion chamber. The engine uses a pressure valve method for output of exhaust, which means that there are no moving parts in the valve assembly. The lack of moving parts in the engine means that it is generally a very reliable power unit. [b]The engine is so light that it can be changed by one person lifting it out. In Trabant rallies in the former East Germany, it was common to carry a spare engine in the boot in case of breakdown.[/b] It has rack and pinion steering, and a single leaf spring suspension mounted transversely across the front of the car. The rear wheels are mounted on two trailing arms each. The fuel supply is gravity fed, and the petrol tank is mounted directly above the engine
Link Posted: 6/6/2003 11:17:38 AM EDT
[#10]
We have a winner!

Not only is it ugly.....its french!

[img]http://www.renault10.com/images/R10rojofrontal.jpg[/img]

Renault R-10
Link Posted: 6/6/2003 11:17:40 AM EDT
[#11]
Didnt the trabants body panels qualify as hazardous waste?
Link Posted: 6/6/2003 11:28:37 AM EDT
[#12]
I'll second the Aztec and the Element as the friggin ugliest new vehicles available.

I keep wondering what market the car manufactures are trying to target with those POS?!? [>:/]
Link Posted: 6/6/2003 12:17:47 PM EDT
[#13]
I'm thinking that an "All Trabant" Demolition Derby would be funnier than hell.  I imagine that after the first collision, the drivers would be reduced to throwing vehicles at each other.
Link Posted: 6/6/2003 12:24:56 PM EDT
[#14]
Me thinks theyre trying to make 'new-style' cars look something like rugged classics (The element looks like it tries to take the shape of a landrover(old models))
Link Posted: 6/6/2003 12:26:11 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
View Quote

Aaahhhh yes...the good old AMC...My parents bought (cursed me with) a red AMC Spirit for my first car (2WD version)....$400 special...nothing like being the 4 wheeled circus in the high school parking lot...it just had this amazing ability to attract shoe polish and toilet paper....those were the days
Link Posted: 6/6/2003 12:30:29 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
View Quote

Anybody know why the Pacer had so much glass?
So you could see what kind of an A-hole bought one.[lol]
Link Posted: 6/6/2003 12:33:29 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

The Honda Element.

[url]http://a332.g.akamai.net/f/332/936/12h/www.edmunds.com/media/2002/new_york/03.honda.element.f3-4.500.jpg[/url]

It's a close tie with the Pontiac Aztec for fugly.

[puke]
View Quote

I saw an element the other day.  Those suck more than the Aztec.
Link Posted: 6/6/2003 12:36:04 PM EDT
[#18]
I think it would be cool to lift an Element about 10", Cram a chevy 350 in in somewhere and stick 38" tires under it.
Link Posted: 6/6/2003 1:30:49 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
...My parents bought (cursed me with) a red AMC Spirit for my first car (2WD version)....$400 special...nothing like being the 4 wheeled circus in the high school parking lot...it just had this amazing ability to attract shoe polish and toilet paper....those were the days
View Quote

Thats harsh!
Link Posted: 6/6/2003 6:50:22 PM EDT
[#20]
Aztec, looks like somebody dropped a hatchback on top of a van.  Truly ugly.
Link Posted: 6/6/2003 6:58:17 PM EDT
[#21]
it's hard to imagine a car that wouldn't look cool lifted 10 inches with 38" tires and a 350
Link Posted: 6/6/2003 7:12:06 PM EDT
[#22]
Aztec
Link Posted: 6/6/2003 7:12:09 PM EDT
[#23]
[img]http://www.hotrod.com/hotrod/thehistoryof/p130635_image_large.jpg[/img]
Link Posted: 6/6/2003 7:12:38 PM EDT
[#24]
The Honda Element comes in a D_I_S_T_A_N_T second place when compared with the Pontiac Aztec.  Every time I see an Aztec, I have to suppress a tremendous urge to ask the driver to pay me a dollar for assaulting my senses with that damn ugly contraption.  
Link Posted: 6/6/2003 7:13:24 PM EDT
[#25]
Sorry, that car is more a waste of time than ugly.
Link Posted: 6/6/2003 7:35:14 PM EDT
[#26]
Chevy Avalance,
PT Cruiser,
Honda Insight,
Toyota Prius

Just a few that come to mind.

BigDozer66
Link Posted: 6/6/2003 7:52:09 PM EDT
[#27]
I have to say that I do like it's use of plastics. I have always thought a truck or Jeep type vehicle would benefit from heavy plastic panels about one half or three fourths of the way up the sides. Light weight, impact resistant, easy to clean, won't scratch and easliy replaceable.
Link Posted: 6/6/2003 10:26:04 PM EDT
[#28]
In Santa Rosa the owner of a performance parts shop built a gremlin that would take bullet bikes in the quarter mile. The bikes were capable of winning with a driver that had the reflexes but his car and racing experience gave him the edge.

Link Posted: 6/7/2003 1:20:55 AM EDT
[#29]
The Matador! Yuck!
Link Posted: 6/7/2003 1:25:23 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
That's not too bad.

May I introduce you to the French-made Citroen 2CV?
[url]http://images.google.com/images?q=citroen+2cv&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8&hl=en&btnG=Google+Search[/url]
View Quote

There is nothing wrong with the 2CV other than being french.  My father in law has one and it is a hoot, all 29hp.  Plus, Bond drove one. Once.

As for the Trabant, I would love to have one of those.  Well, if it had a Honda Civic engine in it.

AMC Matador or Ford Maverick.  Fugly.
Link Posted: 6/7/2003 1:57:18 AM EDT
[#31]
Honda Element is definitely my top vote for the ugliest newer vehicle.

Followed by Chevy Avalanche and the Pontiac? Aztec.
Link Posted: 6/7/2003 2:22:11 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
The Matador! Yuck!
View Quote

I was wondering if any one was going to bring up that fugly piece of junk.

"Ah, so that's a Matador"

In the comercial they purposly cut off the part where the guy pukes after saying his line! [puke]
Link Posted: 6/7/2003 2:28:26 AM EDT
[#33]
I have to add another comment.  When working at a hot rod shop for 3 years back in the 90's, my boss kept designing things that were just butt ugly.  He thought that they were cool.

My coworker and I used to ask him why he liked such ugly things.  He always insisted that they were cool.  He used to insist that his stuff was unique, and that all the stuff we liked was old hat, and had already been done.

I honestly think that the Auto Manufacturers are subscribing to the same attitude.  They can't come up with anything cool, so they go with ugly to be unique!!!!

Just my opinion!!

[rolleyes]  [shock]
Link Posted: 6/7/2003 2:46:16 AM EDT
[#34]
I know a guy who ordered a dually kit from JC Whittney, and retro fitted them for his 85 POS thunderbird.  He then slapped some fenders from a 92 ranger stepside over the duals to stay legal.  I asked him why he would even consider something so stupid.  He took another puff off the crack pipe and said, "it looks cool man."  Seriously, I'll try to get some pictures for you guys.  Makes the aztec look like the hottest thing on the road.
Link Posted: 6/7/2003 3:27:10 AM EDT
[#35]
I always thought these were ugly [img]http://img.villagephotos.com/p/2003-6/141064/corvair.jpg[/img]
Link Posted: 6/7/2003 4:24:06 AM EDT
[#36]
Hey Cyanide,

In the 70's, I saw a Corvair Spyder(?) that had a 327 installed in the backseat.  Really trick, and really fast.  I thought it looked pretty cool, too...

Link Posted: 6/7/2003 4:29:02 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
Quoted:
The Matador! Yuck!
View Quote

I was wondering if any one was going to bring up that fugly piece of junk.

"Ah, so that's a Matador"

In the comercial they purposly cut off the part where the guy pukes after saying his line! [puke]
View Quote

The two of you beat me to it. That was my assessment as well.

Alot of folks at this site have no idea how ugly cars were in the 70's.

AMC Matador
AMC Pacer
AMC Gremlin
Ford Pinto
Ford Maverick
Chevy Citation

There's more but I can't think of them quite yet.

BTW, the Aztek and Element are quite ugly too.
Link Posted: 6/7/2003 6:06:13 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
View Quote

In East Germany, the pumps at gas stations had settings for no oil/33:1/50:1. Or you could mix your own when travelling in West Germany or elsewhere: first, dump half a liter 2-cycle oil into the tank, then fill the tank (capacity 20 liters) with regular, unleaded, which gives you a mixture of about 40:1, which is close enough.
With some fine-tuning, those suckers ran 65, 70mph, although 55 to 60 was recommended cruising speed.
The seats sucked, there was no room for your legs, the vibrations and the noise from the engine are very unpleasant, the dinky little engine kept falling apart, but the thing could stop on a dime, provided the dime in question was 200 yards away.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top