Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/26/2006 6:22:59 AM EDT
Personally, I don't like the way it looks.

news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20060126/ap_on_re_mi_ea/iraq

U.S. Releasing Five Women Prisoners By SAMEER N. YACOUB, Associated Press Writer
1 hour, 37 minutes ago

BAGHDAD, Iraq - The U.S. military said Thursday it would release five Iraqi women detainees, a move demanded by the kidnappers of an American reporter to spare her life, but an official said the release was coincidental.

ADVERTISEMENT

Meanwhile, a U.S. soldier was killed and another wounded by a roadside bomb blast south of Baghdad on Wednesday, while two Iraqi government employees were gunned down Thursday in separate drive-by attacks in the northern city of Kirkuk.

Trade and Minerals Minister Osama Abdul-Aziz al-Najafi escaped a seventh assassination attempt Thursday after a roadside bomb targeted his convoy north of Baghdad, but three bodyguards were killed and a fourth was seriously wounded, ministry spokeswoman Hanan Jassim said.

The Shiite bloc set to dominate the next parliament, the United Iraqi Alliance, will decide on its nominee for prime minister in the next few days, said a top Shiite official, Vice President Adil Abdul-Mahdi.

Abdul-Mahdi is among four prominent Shiites mentioned as possible premiers. Others are the current prime minister, Ibrahim al-Jaafari; nuclear physicist Hussain al-Shahrastani; and Nadim al-Jabiri of the Fadhila party, a religious group whose spiritual leader is radical Shiite cleric Muqtada al-Sadr's late father, Grand Ayatollah Mohammed Sadiq al-Sadr.

After parliament convenes, the new president will designate the Shiite alliance candidate as the new prime minister. The prime minister-designate then puts together a new Cabinet and submits the list to parliament for approval.

Lt. Col. Guy Rudisill, a spokesman for the U.S. detention command, said some Iraqis had been released, but he declined to say whether any women were among them. The Iraqi women will be freed as part of the release of 419 Iraqis, whom officials concluded there was no reason to continue holding, Rudisill said.

Armed men abducted Jill Carroll, a freelance reporter for the Christian Science Monitor, on Jan. 7 in Baghdad and threatened to kill her unless all Iraqi women prisoners were released.

The U.S. military confirmed last week it was holding nine Iraqi women. On Thursday, however, the military said it had detained two more women for alleged insurgent activities in the northern city of Mosul.

Detainees are regularly freed in     Iraq following reviews of their cases, a process that can take months, and U.S. officials have said the upcoming releases were part of that routine procedure and not linked to Carroll's case.

A top Iraqi official and the mother of one of the Iraqi female detainees confirmed the imminent releases, saying they were expecting them to occur Thursday.

Busho Ibrahim Ali, the deputy justice minister, said five female detainees were expected to be released from the Camp Cropper detention center on a U.S. base near Baghdad International Airport.

Ali said the women would be brought to the heavily fortified Green Zone, where the Iraqi government and U.S. Embassy are based in Baghdad, and handed over to a senior Sunni Arab political leader before being received by their families.

Detainees usually are transported from detention centers to a Baghdad bus station or to towns near their homes and let go.

Siham Faraj, a mother of 28-year-old Hala Khalid, who was arrested with her brother on Sept. 24 during a dawn raid by U.S. forces on their Baghdad home, said she was waiting anxiously to see her daughter and hoped it would lead to Carroll's safe release.

"We are happy and we thank God for this blessing," Faraj told The Associated Press. "I call upon the kidnappers of the American reporter to release her because she is as innocent as Hala.

"I wish the Americans would stop random arrests. We only want peace in this country."

The U.S. soldier who was killed belonged to the Multi-National Division-Baghdad. At least 2,237 members of the U.S. military have died since the war began, according to an Associated Press count.

In Kirkuk, 180 miles north of Baghdad, gunmen assassinated a senior official of Iraq's anti-corruption commission and the deputy director of a state-run food stuff company in separate attacks Thursday, police Capt. Farhad Talabani said.

Anti-corruption official Othman Majeed Rasheed, a 51-year-old Turkoman, was walking from his home to his nearby office when he was killed by a hail of gunfire, Talabani said.

Shortly after, the same group of gunmen shot dead Jomaa Rasheed, a Kurd who is the deputy director of the state-run company for food stuffs, in the same area, Talabani said. The two victims were unrelated.

Police believe the men were killed by the same masked gunmen who launched similar attacks on Jan. 17, targeting another Kirkuk office of the anti-corruption watchdog, known as the Integrity Commission, and offices for the Kurdistan Peoples Party, killing two people and wounding three.

Gunmen disguised as Iraqi soldiers kidnapped Hadi al-Dahlaki, owner of a food company, and killed his son Wednesday during a raid on their factory in Baqouba, 35 miles northeast of Baghdad, Diyala police said. The al-Dahlaki family is one of Baqouba's wealthiest, and several of the hostage's sons have been kidnapped and released previously after the paying of ransoms.

Police found four bound and blindfolded bodies riddled with bullet holes Thursday in Mahmoudiya, about 20 miles south of Baghdad, said Capt. Rasheed al-Samaraei.

North of Baghdad, three Iraqi soldiers were killed and four wounded by a roadside bomb Wednesday afternoon, police Lt. Amir al-Ahbabi said.

The attack happened in the Ishaki area on the Baghdad-Mosul highway, about 55 miles north of the Iraqi capital.

Link Posted: 1/26/2006 6:26:19 AM EDT
[#1]
the libs will now say we caved in to the freedom fighters
Link Posted: 1/26/2006 6:26:48 AM EDT
[#2]

It's not a coincidence. But I hope the banshees have RFID chips deeply implanted in them.

Link Posted: 1/26/2006 6:29:44 AM EDT
[#3]
Did the "freedom fighters" release their "guest?"
Link Posted: 1/26/2006 6:32:02 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

They may very well be correct.

it appears we are negotiating with the terrorists, even if it is just in appearance.

YMMV
Link Posted: 1/26/2006 6:33:53 AM EDT
[#5]
Those releases were in the works prior to the kidnapping. Releases happen all the time as the small ones, or ones where there isn't any evidence, get thrown back.
Link Posted: 1/26/2006 6:36:26 AM EDT
[#6]
what was the old quote? "kill 'em all & let God sort out the good & the bad?"...but life is not that simple if you live by ethics & seek justice...
Link Posted: 1/26/2006 6:38:55 AM EDT
[#7]
The United States does not negotiate with terrorists.

Link Posted: 1/26/2006 6:58:28 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
Those releases were in the works prior to the kidnapping. Releases happen all the time as the small ones, or ones where there isn't any evidence, get thrown back.

Then we should have probably postponed...Its the appearance of weakness that will cause the others to jump our backs
Link Posted: 1/26/2006 7:04:45 AM EDT
[#9]
I heard that they were previously scheduled for release, even before the terrorists took the hostage
Link Posted: 1/26/2006 7:06:39 AM EDT
[#10]
I don't think negotiating with these animals is a good idea, but if that were my daughter about to get her head cut off, I'd exchange those 5 women  so fast it would make your head swim.
Link Posted: 1/26/2006 7:08:38 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20060126/ap_on_re_mi_ea/iraq

U.S. Releasing Five Women Prisoners By SAMEER N. YACOUB, Associated Press Writer
1 hour, 37 minutes ago

BAGHDAD, Iraq - The U.S. military said Thursday it would release five Iraqi women detainees, a move demanded by the kidnappers of an American reporter to spare her life, but an official said the release was coincidental.

ADVERTISEMENT

Meanwhile, a U.S. soldier was killed and another wounded by a roadside bomb blast south of Baghdad on Wednesday, while two Iraqi government employees were gunned down Thursday in separate drive-by attacks in the northern city of Kirkuk.

Trade and Minerals Minister Osama Abdul-Aziz al-Najafi escaped a seventh assassination attempt Thursday after a roadside bomb targeted his convoy north of Baghdad, but three bodyguards were killed and a fourth was seriously wounded, ministry spokeswoman Hanan Jassim said.

The Shiite bloc set to dominate the next parliament, the United Iraqi Alliance, will decide on its nominee for prime minister in the next few days, said a top Shiite official, Vice President Adil Abdul-Mahdi.

Abdul-Mahdi is among four prominent Shiites mentioned as possible premiers. Others are the current prime minister, Ibrahim al-Jaafari; nuclear physicist Hussain al-Shahrastani; and Nadim al-Jabiri of the Fadhila party, a religious group whose spiritual leader is radical Shiite cleric Muqtada al-Sadr's late father, Grand Ayatollah Mohammed Sadiq al-Sadr.

After parliament convenes, the new president will designate the Shiite alliance candidate as the new prime minister. The prime minister-designate then puts together a new Cabinet and submits the list to parliament for approval.

Lt. Col. Guy Rudisill, a spokesman for the U.S. detention command, said some Iraqis had been released, but he declined to say whether any women were among them. The Iraqi women will be freed as part of the release of 419 Iraqis, whom officials concluded there was no reason to continue holding, Rudisill said.

Armed men abducted Jill Carroll, a freelance reporter for the Christian Science Monitor, on Jan. 7 in Baghdad and threatened to kill her unless all Iraqi women prisoners were released.

The U.S. military confirmed last week it was holding nine Iraqi women. On Thursday, however, the military said it had detained two more women for alleged insurgent activities in the northern city of Mosul.

Detainees are regularly freed in     Iraq following reviews of their cases, a process that can take months, and U.S. officials have said the upcoming releases were part of that routine procedure and not linked to Carroll's case.

A top Iraqi official and the mother of one of the Iraqi female detainees confirmed the imminent releases, saying they were expecting them to occur Thursday.

Busho Ibrahim Ali, the deputy justice minister, said five female detainees were expected to be released from the Camp Cropper detention center on a U.S. base near Baghdad International Airport.

Ali said the women would be brought to the heavily fortified Green Zone, where the Iraqi government and U.S. Embassy are based in Baghdad, and handed over to a senior Sunni Arab political leader before being received by their families.

Detainees usually are transported from detention centers to a Baghdad bus station or to towns near their homes and let go.

Siham Faraj, a mother of 28-year-old Hala Khalid, who was arrested with her brother on Sept. 24 during a dawn raid by U.S. forces on their Baghdad home, said she was waiting anxiously to see her daughter and hoped it would lead to Carroll's safe release.

"We are happy and we thank God for this blessing," Faraj told The Associated Press. "I call upon the kidnappers of the American reporter to release her because she is as innocent as Hala.

"I wish the Americans would stop random arrests. We only want peace in this country."

The U.S. soldier who was killed belonged to the Multi-National Division-Baghdad. At least 2,237 members of the U.S. military have died since the war began, according to an Associated Press count.

In Kirkuk, 180 miles north of Baghdad, gunmen assassinated a senior official of Iraq's anti-corruption commission and the deputy director of a state-run food stuff company in separate attacks Thursday, police Capt. Farhad Talabani said.

Anti-corruption official Othman Majeed Rasheed, a 51-year-old Turkoman, was walking from his home to his nearby office when he was killed by a hail of gunfire, Talabani said.

Shortly after, the same group of gunmen shot dead Jomaa Rasheed, a Kurd who is the deputy director of the state-run company for food stuffs, in the same area, Talabani said. The two victims were unrelated.

Police believe the men were killed by the same masked gunmen who launched similar attacks on Jan. 17, targeting another Kirkuk office of the anti-corruption watchdog, known as the Integrity Commission, and offices for the Kurdistan Peoples Party, killing two people and wounding three.

Gunmen disguised as Iraqi soldiers kidnapped Hadi al-Dahlaki, owner of a food company, and killed his son Wednesday during a raid on their factory in Baqouba, 35 miles northeast of Baghdad, Diyala police said. The al-Dahlaki family is one of Baqouba's wealthiest, and several of the hostage's sons have been kidnapped and released previously after the paying of ransoms.

Police found four bound and blindfolded bodies riddled with bullet holes Thursday in Mahmoudiya, about 20 miles south of Baghdad, said Capt. Rasheed al-Samaraei.

North of Baghdad, three Iraqi soldiers were killed and four wounded by a roadside bomb Wednesday afternoon, police Lt. Amir al-Ahbabi said.

The attack happened in the Ishaki area on the Baghdad-Mosul highway, about 55 miles north of the Iraqi capital.

Well, whaddyknow- it looks like getting something by kidnapping actually produces results. Whodathunkit?

Who OK'd this abortion?

Link Posted: 1/26/2006 7:09:17 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
I don't think negotiating with these animals is a good idea, but if that were my daughter about to get her head cut off, I'd exchnge those 5 women over so fast it would make your head swim.

And then your daughter would probably get her head cut off anyway, and in response to capitulating to the terrorists you would have ensured that hundreds of other families have their daughters and sons taken hostage and beheaded in an effort to get further concessions.

Link Posted: 1/26/2006 7:10:00 AM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
The United States does not negotiate with terrorists.

No kidding.....

Well, now that we are encouraging them, what's next?

Link Posted: 1/26/2006 7:12:44 AM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
what was the old quote? "kill 'em all & let God sort out the good & the bad?"...but life is not that simple if you live by ethics & seek justice...

*sigh*  it is "Caedite eos. Novit enim Dominus qui sunt eius."

Now you too can seem schooled and aloof.
Latin things

Quidquid latine dictum sit, altum viditur.

Edit: To be on topic.. Si Deus pro nobis, quis contra nos?

This is nice also.. Si vis pacem, para bellum.
Link Posted: 1/26/2006 7:16:50 AM EDT
[#15]
Fogive me if I don't believe the gov't line about this being a big coencidence.
Link Posted: 1/26/2006 7:23:20 AM EDT
[#16]

And then your daughter would probably get her head cut off anyway, and in response to capitulating to the terrorists you would have ensured that hundreds of other families have their daughters and sons taken hostage and beheaded in an effort to get further concessions.

A chance I would have to take if it was my kid about to get her head cut off. All I'm saying is people have limits. That would be mine. I don't have it in me to watch my kid get chopped up for the greater good. I'd have to try damn near everything to get her back.

It seems to me we alreadt negotiate/capitulate with bad guys on a regular basis.
Link Posted: 1/26/2006 7:53:39 AM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

A chance I would have to take if it was my kid about to get her head cut off. All I'm saying is people have limits. That would be mine. I don't have it in me to watch my kid get chopped up for the greater good. I'd have to try damn near everything to get her back.

It seems to me we alreadt negotiate/capitulate with bad guys on a regular basis.

+ a billion.
Link Posted: 1/26/2006 7:59:15 AM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:
I heard that they were previously scheduled for release, even before the terrorists took the hostage

Could very well be that the MoslemMaggots have a few moles on our side over there that found out that their bitches were going to be released in a month anyway and so they timed the kidnapping to make it appear that the US was conceding to their "demands" to release their bitches.

Link Posted: 1/26/2006 8:13:09 AM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Could very well be that the MoslemMaggots have a few moles on our side over there that found out that their bitches were going to be released in a month anyway and so they timed the kidnapping to make it appear that the US was conceding to their "demands" to release their bitches.

Do you think that shit has a brain that complicated? You're giving them wayyyyy to much credit.
Link Posted: 1/26/2006 8:16:33 AM EDT
[#20]
Why can't we just shoot all these Jihadists on sight and move on?
Link Posted: 1/26/2006 8:18:07 AM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

because most of the detainees are common crooks, not actual Al-Qaida fighters?
Link Posted: 1/26/2006 8:18:08 AM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:

It's all a coincidence.  The American Government would never negotiate with terrorists.  

The American Government is protecting its citizens from the War on Terror by closing the borders, restricting visas given to 'students" from Saudi Arabia (down to 25000 this year from 10000 last year), and deporting all illegal aliens (muslims, mexicans, and others).

Government funded Small Business Loans and Federally funded student aid packages are also not given to illegal aliens whose visas have expired or who never had visas in the first place.

Link Posted: 1/26/2006 8:48:22 AM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:

Quoted:

*sigh*  it is "Caedite eos. Novit enim Dominus qui sunt eius."

Now you too can seem schooled and aloof.
Latin things

Quidquid latine dictum sit, altum viditur.

Edit: To be on topic.. Si Deus pro nobis, quis contra nos?

This is nice also.. Si vis pacem, para bellum.

Cave canem.
Link Posted: 1/26/2006 8:50:45 AM EDT
[#24]
If I was in control of the detainees the prisons would become slaughterhouses.
Link Posted: 1/26/2006 8:53:30 AM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:

At least until the "freedom fighters" don't live up to their promise.  Then the sides will flip.  The government will point out that agreement or not we satisfied their demands.  The leftards will say, "Well, it doesn't matter because the releases were not related to the kidnappers' demand."

It's all retarded and it doesn't matter.  The rags will never live up to any promise.
Link Posted: 1/26/2006 8:54:12 AM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:

Quoted:

It's all a coincidence.  The American Government would never negotiate with terrorists.  

The American Government is protecting its citizens from the War on Terror by closing the borders, restricting visas given to 'students" from Saudi Arabia (down to 25000 this year from 10000 last year), and deporting all illegal aliens (muslims, mexicans, and others).

Government funded Small Business Loans and Federally funded student aid packages are also not given to illegal aliens whose visas have expired or who never had visas in the first place.

Surely you are being silly here?
Link Posted: 1/26/2006 8:55:02 AM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Shoot them anyway.....get rid of the whole mess.
Link Posted: 1/26/2006 8:55:42 AM EDT
[#28]
Actually the MNC-I and MNF-I have release time line, by a certain date they must be released or turned over to the ISF.  

I won't go into the exact details, but since AG and media blitz in the states those time lines are adhered to.
Link Posted: 1/26/2006 8:57:25 AM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:

Quoted:

+ a billion.

Seems we paused a couple of times at Fallujah to give the bad guys a chance to "think about it".  That was negotiation.  And iron fist, no negotiation approach would have removed that town from the map in a matter of hours.
Link Posted: 1/26/2006 10:05:15 AM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

and stoop to their level, I don't think so.
Link Posted: 1/26/2006 10:11:05 AM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

The only thing worse than stooping the level of the enemy, is not and loosing the war.

It's a false argument that has plagued western mind since it was first used.  If we are fighting people of a similar mind set (Western Europeans) it may hold water.  But we have seen in our numerous wars with non-westerners is they don't think the way we do and won't despite our attempts to project on values on to them.
Link Posted: 1/26/2006 10:25:03 AM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:
The only thing worse than stooping the level of the enemy, is not and loosing the war.

It's a false argument that has plagued western mind since it was first used.  If we are fighting people of a similar mind set (Western Europeans) it may hold water.  But we have seen in our numerous wars with non-westerners is they don't think the way we do and won't despite our attempts to project on values on to them.

Pyrrhic victory?
Link Posted: 1/26/2006 10:28:08 AM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

The minute you stoop to the enemy's level, you are no better than the enemy, and you lose your moral perogative to win. If we start butchering common criminals and killing civilians, there will be no "good" guy, just "bad" guys; it'd be like Hitler and Stalin, everyone else just wants to see the two parties both fucking die.
Link Posted: 1/26/2006 12:31:06 PM EDT
[#34]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

The minute you stoop to the enemy's level, you are no better than the enemy, and you lose your moral perogative to win. If we start butchering common criminals and killing civilians, there will be no "good" guy, just "bad" guys; it'd be like Hitler and Stalin, everyone else just wants to see the two parties both fucking die.

Gee- I hope you're right. What if you're not, and worrying about the opinions of people who hate us no matter what we do ends up causing us to pull our punches and thereby get defeated? What then?
Link Posted: 1/26/2006 2:28:21 PM EDT
[#35]
PreMed_Gunner

War is not moral nor is it just, it is the forcing the enemy to accept your will.  Morality may be a salve for some peoples' souls, but most people who have been touched by war know, there is little morality in it.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top