Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 7
Link Posted: 12/2/2014 8:55:58 PM EDT
[#1]
A Staff Sergeant in the Army makes pretty good money with the tax free BAH....
Link Posted: 12/2/2014 8:56:51 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 12/2/2014 8:57:07 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 12/2/2014 8:57:17 PM EDT
[#4]
I wonder which well established member owns a troll account of this vintage and number of posts?  
Link Posted: 12/2/2014 8:58:50 PM EDT
[#5]

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
And how many other jobs can an 18 year fresh out of high school get that will pay more ?

The pay isn't that bad. They do get raises as they raise through the ranks.

Great benefits too. Free training.

And they deserve all that. But I don't know they deserve more. It is a mutually benefiting relationship.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

As a member of the military, you sign up to do a job for a very small wage.

A lot of service members have trouble making ends meet on the wages they receive.

To varying degrees (All gave some, some gave all) service members are signing a binding contract to go into harm's way, on your behalf.

I say this as a veteran.

Get your head out of your ass, OP.

And how many other jobs can an 18 year fresh out of high school get that will pay more ?

The pay isn't that bad. They do get raises as they raise through the ranks.

Great benefits too. Free training.

And they deserve all that. But I don't know they deserve more. It is a mutually benefiting relationship.
Meh. I turned down $50k right out of high school in 1991 and joined the military instead. Of course, my old man was a WWII vet and my brother volunteered and served in Vietnam. None of us think you or anybody else owes us shit.

Link Posted: 12/2/2014 9:02:26 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

He probably wasn't calculated at 40hr a week.  Wake up at 5am for PT, work until 7pm, pull duty till 9pm, fireguard at 2am....I'd say the average soldier puts in about 75hr a week where I was.  That drops the hourly calculation down a LOT.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Back when I was part of the E4 mafia, my buddies and I did the math.  I think it worked out to $0.32 an hour.

no you didnt. 32 cents an hour is $230 a month. For an E4? no fucking way.

In 1995 my E-1 base pay was 980.70. That's $1.36 an hour.

Neither of those include allowances.

I'm on your side, but let's not spread BS like the OP.

He probably wasn't calculated at 40hr a week.  Wake up at 5am for PT, work until 7pm, pull duty till 9pm, fireguard at 2am....I'd say the average soldier puts in about 75hr a week where I was.  That drops the hourly calculation down a LOT.

I calculated 24 hours a day, 30 day month.

.32 x 24hours = $7.68 per day X 30 = $230.40.  Never in my 17 years of military service have I worked a 40 hour week.
Link Posted: 12/2/2014 9:02:31 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

I may not have joined to do the same job as you, but I definitely have seen way more cocks than any of you.

Thanks Infantry.
View Quote
I don't know. I spent enough time checking cocks and socks in asshole alley when I worked at the prison.

Link Posted: 12/2/2014 9:02:41 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
I saw a recent stolen valor thread, and I saw Longhorn789's thread.  

The US Military is a paying job that you have to sign up for.  You have to actively seek the job, sign some kind of contract, go through some training, then do the job.  Anyone who signs up knows that the military fights and kills other humans in other countries.  So it's not like you didn't see that coming.  It's pretty obvious that the job can get you maimed or dead, because the other humans fight back.  

Okay.  

If you get drafted and forced to fight in a combat arena, you're serving.  

If you volunteer for a school board or as a firefighter, you're serving.  

If you choose to join the military, you're just taking a paying job.  May if you wanna serve in the military, burn all your paychecks.  

I respect anyone who was honorably discharged from the armed forces after completion of a term of employment.  

But some of you need to get off your high horse.  There is nothing seen or done in the military that I cannot fathom.  You can claim special brotherhood or died-in-my-arms or louder-bangs or dirtier-country situations than I could ever understand, but in fact, I can easily understand all of that.  I have a normal human mind.  

Your term of employment in the military does not earn you an exalted status in society.  I'm really sorry, but if you got your legs blown off at your place of employment, your employer should compensate and care for you accordingly, and I will give you the same courtesy I would give to anyone with a physical disability, but I won't fall to my knees and worship your personal sacrifice made while saving my country from certain ruin, because you weren't conscripted and because you didn't save my country from anything.  

Rather, of your own free will, you took a paying job in the military at a time when there was no tangible sovereign threat to national security, but when our govt was willing to send humans to hostile nations to root out and "prosecute" their criminals because they are unwilling or unable to do it themselves.  IMO, this is really bad government.  Why send a single human when you can send a missile instead?  I've never heard of an arab nation that was worth a single American life, but I would gladly send tens of thousands of tomahawks and bombs until whatever perceived threat in that locale ceased being a threat.  

I digress.  

If you're a vet of a recent foreign war, I respect your choices and actions in the same way that I respect the choices and actions of any self-sufficient, self-supporting, upstanding citizen of this country.  But not more than that.  

And some of you should know:  the fact that I didn't sign up for the same job as you doesn't make me a pussy.  Maybe I signed up for a job that paid more money and maimed fewer people.  In fact, I'm not a pussy.  I'm a big mean fast smart motherfucker.  

I owe the WWII vets a debt of gratitude and the highest possible respect because they made immense sacrifices to save the fucking world, but if we're going to be frank about things, until you save my country or save the world, I don't owe you shit.  I don't see immense sacrifices, I see a paying job in a dangerous industry and you chose to take it.  

If you don't want to get shot at and blown up while fighting freedom-hating, women-hating, uneducated, stupid, ugly, inbred, donkey-fucking, little-boy-fucking, neanderthal indigenous guerrillas in ugly sandy shitholes, then get a different job.  

If you do want to do that, then take that job and take that money, but don't come back and insist that the rest of us owe you something.
View Quote

Link Posted: 12/2/2014 9:04:02 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

As an aside ...

I kinda want to watch you grudge fuck Cincinnatus while Sylvan holds his wrists...

Is that wrong?

TRG
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
May if you wanna serve in the military, burn all your paychecks.

I keep reading this over and over, and it still doesn't make any sense to me.  I tried reading it aloud, different accents, to coworkers... several have tried and nobody can determine its meaning.  

Is there a decoder ring, public key, or Rosetta Stone for decrypting this?

I have an aunt that speaks Twat, I'll check with her.

As an aside ...

I kinda want to watch you grudge fuck Cincinnatus while Sylvan holds his wrists...

Is that wrong?

TRG

Link Posted: 12/2/2014 9:04:17 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
Actually, I think he's one of those guys who thought he was too "special" to serve - too smart, too important, too much potential to waste on something as pointless as the military - and decided to go out and get a job and focus on his job/career/money and whatever.

And now, that he sees how soldiers - especially combat vets - are admired and celebrated in society, and nobody gives a fuck about him and his meaningless existence, he is all jealous and butthurt.  Instead of lifting himself up by doing something admirable and extraordinary, he now feels that the only way to make things "fair" (in his selfish and insecure mind), is to try to tear down the vets ... so that he can go back to feeling special.

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

I like how op had to reassure himself that he was not a pussy, he strikes me as the type that wanted to serve but for what ever reason never did.

Instead of accepting the fact that he didn't he has felt the need to validate his decision as the better one by trying to put vets down. He is clearly projecting his own deficiencies and he really just a wants to be accepted and to hear from the vets that it was ok that he is in fact a wuss.

Actually, I think he's one of those guys who thought he was too "special" to serve - too smart, too important, too much potential to waste on something as pointless as the military - and decided to go out and get a job and focus on his job/career/money and whatever.

And now, that he sees how soldiers - especially combat vets - are admired and celebrated in society, and nobody gives a fuck about him and his meaningless existence, he is all jealous and butthurt.  Instead of lifting himself up by doing something admirable and extraordinary, he now feels that the only way to make things "fair" (in his selfish and insecure mind), is to try to tear down the vets ... so that he can go back to feeling special.

That's my take as well.

OP is indeed a pussy.
Link Posted: 12/2/2014 9:08:28 PM EDT
[#11]
Go google/Youtube search for Gwynn Dyers' 1983 documentary series entitled "WAR".
Watch the episode "Anyone's Son Will Do".

Some sobering insight into the nature of military service.
And before y'all shit all over Gwynne Dyer for having a girls name and being a journalist. ... Check out his resumé
Link Posted: 12/2/2014 9:14:52 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
I am literally in shock that OP is an 03er not a 13er.
View Quote

This!
Link Posted: 12/2/2014 9:19:22 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Go google/Youtube search for Gwynn Dyers' 1983 documentary series entitled "WAR".
Watch the episode "Anyone's Son Will Do".

Some sobering insight into the nature of military service.
And before y'all shit all over Gwynne Dyer for having a girls name and being a journalist. ... Check out his resumé
View Quote

Lol, fuck that place.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P_G2u1RrLOk
Link Posted: 12/2/2014 9:33:33 PM EDT
[#14]
Do us a favor, and go fuck yourself.

You are a pretentious douchebag using words way above your grade level and in a context that you don't understand.

Fathom watching your friends go down in a helo crash and pulling them burned, mangled, and screaming from the wreckage knowing that they will die despite your best efforts to prove otherwise.

Now go do it.

I don't do this job for my measly paycheck that barely keeps my family above destitute. I do it for the guys next to me. Something you'll never comprehend.
Link Posted: 12/2/2014 9:37:12 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

And some of you should know:  the fact that I didn't sign up for the same job as you doesn't make me a pussy.  Maybe I signed up for a job that paid more money and maimed fewer people.  In fact, I'm not a pussy.  I'm a big mean fast smart motherfucker.  

View Quote

I'm not that big in fact I have a rather lithe build, im somewhat fast but not overly so, im smarter than the average bear but not a genius by any means, and as far as I know I have never had sex with a Mother as I have zero children and don't like dealing with others cast off baby mommas. I also had to get a Hydrocelectomy as a civilian just to be eligible to join the army as that is a non waver-able condition. Look that up cupcake, so even though I had part of lefty removed, this former infantryman says you are indeed a puss. In fact you sound like countless guys who were bigger than me, and supposedly tough that I had the misfortune of meeting at sandhill in 2007. They talked a big game about how tough they were, or that a judge told them it was army or jail, etc. but you know what the vast majority of them went awol or refused to train while my scrawny ass persevered. Hell I remember one with his last name tattooed in big letters across his back who refused to train until they kicked him out who ranted at us how he was a much braver man for being a quitter than those of us who honor our word. Funniest part, that fat sack of shit gave himself a hernia from jumping off his top bunk while he was busy refusing to train. I'm sure he's a member of your big mean fast smart motherfucker not a pussy club too.

In the end I actually pity you. Your head is so far up your fourth point of contact you will never realize how big a douche you really are. Oh well we all have our part to play in life I guess yours is propping up the manufactures of hot pockets, and fedoras.
Link Posted: 12/2/2014 9:38:35 PM EDT
[#16]
I walked into the recruiters office for the GI bill and to see the world.  But it was not long into his talk that I realized this commitment would be something special that I would carry with me the rest of my life.  It would test me, grow me and teach me life lessons that I still use 27 years after I walked into that office.

It was my honor to serve my countrymen, even the confused and angry OP.

Link Posted: 12/2/2014 9:38:56 PM EDT
[#17]
OP has an extra chromosome.
Link Posted: 12/2/2014 9:41:13 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

I'm a big mean fast smart motherfucker.
View Quote

You know, you've mentioned your height in another post, and you're not particularly big.  The whiny nature of your post doesn't come across as particularly mean, and posting it here was not particularly smart.  I'm starting to suspect that you're completely full of shit, but hey, maybe you're fast, and I don't know anything about your relationship with your mother.
Link Posted: 12/2/2014 9:41:47 PM EDT
[#19]
OP had GF stolen by some AF dude

Link Posted: 12/2/2014 9:41:48 PM EDT
[#20]
My Give-A-Shit meter just moved enough to write this post.

Here OP.  This meter is for you.

Oh.  And OP?  I fixed your quote for you to make it more accurate "I'm a big mean fast smart-assed motherfucker."

Link Posted: 12/2/2014 9:44:29 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
OP has an extra chromosome.
View Quote

I believe OP has a lot of extra DNA, mostly around the lips.
Link Posted: 12/2/2014 9:45:56 PM EDT
[#22]
I'll never understand why anyone with citizenship and an education would sign up but more power to you if you did/do. I could never talk myself into taking a job making half of what I could by going to college and then occasionally getting shot at. Seems like a raw deal to me. At least I'm honest about it and don't drone on about how I would've joined if it hadn't been for bad knees/eyes/heart/sick grandma/whatever.

Strangely enough, at the height of it's empire a large portion of Rome's army was brown people wanting citizenship and poor white people from the lower classes who couldn't find better work. It worked out quite well for hundreds of years.
Link Posted: 12/2/2014 9:48:58 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Can't commit. I've never seen the man. I have no idea if I'd fuck him or not.
View Quote

Link Posted: 12/2/2014 9:52:13 PM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:

I'll never understand why anyone with citizenship and an education would sign up but more power to you if you did/do. I could never talk myself into taking a job making half of what I could by going to college and then occasionally getting shot at. Seems like a raw deal to me. At least I'm honest about it and don't drone on about how I would've joined if it hadn't been for bad knees/eyes/heart/sick grandma/whatever.

Strangely enough, at the height of it's empire a large portion of Rome's army was brown people wanting citizenship and poor white people from the lower classes who couldn't find better work. It worked out quite well for hundreds of years.
View Quote

If you truly are being honest... that's refreshing.

About the part in red.  For many of us, serving in the military wasn't/ isn't "a job".  (Some do sign up for that reason, but it's not an epidemic like some propose.)

Link Posted: 12/2/2014 9:53:43 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
But some of you need to get off your high horse. There is nothing seen or done in the military that I cannot fathom. You can claim special brotherhood or died-in-my-arms or louder-bangs or dirtier-country situations than I could ever understand, but in fact, I can easily understand all of that. I have a normal human mind.
View Quote

Yeah I used to think the same thing. It is one of those things that you just don't know until you have been there. All kinds of chemical reactions and other magical things start physically happening in your body that won't happen, ever, any other time. People truly won't know how they will really react  until the physical changes happen inside them. That is all there is to it.

I remember when I used to work as an EMT. I hate to say it, but I needed that bad mass casualty incident, or severe trauma, or whatever, to know if it was something I should pursue. I wanted it early on, and not after I made something of a career out of it. It happened, I can definitely do it. I haven't been shot at, so I can't really speak to that. Just EMT things and then one severe trauma that ended up being a mortal wound in the CG. But seriously, you can think about it all you want. You can know how you are going to react, as soon as that spotlight starts shining on you and its showtime not everyone performs the way they think they would, or bragged they would.

If you do want to do that, then take that job and take that money, but don't come back and insist that the rest of us owe you something.
View Quote

In my experience that is pretty rare. No one owes me anything. No one owes you anything. This reply is pro bono.

As for the needed a job, that is the only reason... I run in to that more often than the whole "you owe me something" schtick. A lot of the people needing the job are enlisting after spending four years at college. I wasn't one, I knew I was going to serve for at least 4 years. I like what other countries have going on with obligated service for their countries, military or civil. If it wasn't a job that was needed it wouldn't exist.

I also know quite a bit of fire fighters who do it for the pay check. It is not really that different than the military. The job exists because it is needed, the government compensates you for work done.

As for burning paychecks... that doesn't really show dedication. Showing up every day and embracing the suck through thick and thin and doing a proficient job is a pretty good service, I earn my paycheck. Most people earn their paychecks.
Link Posted: 12/2/2014 9:54:04 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
Please do not engage in personal attacks.

Jealousy and insecurity should be met with sympathy and kindness, not insults.
View Quote

Link Posted: 12/2/2014 9:54:23 PM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:

View Quote
Cause.....You're SPECIAL!  Perhaps you and OP should become roommate trolls.

Link Posted: 12/2/2014 9:56:57 PM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:

View Quote
You served for how long?

Link Posted: 12/2/2014 9:58:16 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

You know, you've mentioned your height in another post, and you're not particularly big.  The whiny nature of your post doesn't come across as particularly mean, and posting it here was not particularly smart.  I'm starting to suspect that you're completely full of shit, but hey, maybe you're fast, and I don't know anything about your relationship with your mother.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I'm a big mean fast smart motherfucker.

As an aside the toughest motherfuckers I've ever known were small,  scrawny little bastards.
Link Posted: 12/2/2014 9:59:49 PM EDT
[#30]

There are a variety of ways to get yourself hated by the majority of Arfcom.

This is one of those ways.

Link Posted: 12/2/2014 9:59:54 PM EDT
[#31]

That's all I got. Been on the road too long for a witty response to this ridiculous bullshit.
Link Posted: 12/2/2014 10:08:36 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

Bootass officers lecturing on how easy it is to pick up E4...
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
When i joined the Army as an E1 my pay was 753.60/mo.

E-1 pay is now more than double that. And anyone that can pass a PT test and take some stupid online tests can enlist as an E-2. Get a friend to join and you're now an E-3. Keep your nose clean and work hard and you make E-4 in short order. We are now talking over 3 times what your starting pay was.

Not in every service is it that easy.

Bootass officers lecturing on how easy it is to pick up E4...

Truth.  Some fucking career 1LT telling us how the Army runs.
Link Posted: 12/2/2014 10:08:43 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
View Quote

I wouldn't say I'm terribly special. I am white and born and raised in the U-S of A, so I was able to go to school and party a lot instead of armying. You don't have to be jealous though, I'm sure you're special too in your own way.
Link Posted: 12/2/2014 10:12:12 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

View Quote

Well bless your heart.
Link Posted: 12/2/2014 10:12:16 PM EDT
[#35]

Sure you are, Princess.
Link Posted: 12/2/2014 10:14:17 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

I wouldn't say I'm terribly special. I am white and born and raised in the U-S of A, so I was able to go to school and party a lot instead of armying. You don't have to be jealous though, I'm sure you're special too in your own way.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

That's cool.  I was able to party, and go to school and do armying.  I'm not sure if I'm special though, I haven't had an affirmation yet today.
Link Posted: 12/2/2014 10:17:24 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

That's cool.  I was able to party, and go to school and do armying.  I'm not sure if I'm special though, I haven't had an affirmation yet today.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Maybe Puddle Pirate will tell you so. It means more coming from him than when mom says it. She always opens the basement door on her way to work and yells down that I'm her special little boy, starting to think she really don't mean it.
Link Posted: 12/2/2014 10:20:10 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

Atleast you got out as an NCO I was just a lowly terminal lance with 2 deployments.  I would have reenlisted too if I didn't have orders waiting for me to go to AAAV school.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Still a fuckin no deployment boot

I'll haze myself later.
I blame my young self wanting to go to Japan and not knowing non-deployable units existed

Atleast you got out as an NCO I was just a lowly terminal lance with 2 deployments.  I would have reenlisted too if I didn't have orders waiting for me to go to AAAV school.

The GI Bill made it all worth it, getting paid to go to school is glorious.
Link Posted: 12/2/2014 10:21:32 PM EDT
[#39]
December 2003?  September 2001?

What DU faggot is digging out the old troll accounts?
Link Posted: 12/2/2014 10:21:52 PM EDT
[#40]

Quoted:

Maybe Puddle Pirate will tell you so. It means more coming from him than when mom says it. She always opens the basement door on her way to work and yells down that I'm her special little boy, starting to think she really don't mean it.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

That was at least funny!
Link Posted: 12/2/2014 10:23:16 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

View Quote

I always believed that we were "for the people, by the people" and I guess that just made an impression on me.  I'm not interested in becoming a politician, so I figured I'd serve my country in a different manner.  Turns out I had a knack for it, so I stayed.

Besides, while getting shot at isn't always fun, I get to kill bad guys at work.  I've worked jobs before I joined the military, and I really enjoy the fact that I have a direct hand in getting rid of my problems at work.  Not just with firearms either, I got to use rockets and radios and mortars and sometimes airplanes and helicopters hang out and help me gang-bang savages.  

It's pretty cool, sometimes I found myself looking around and thinking to myself "This is awesome, I actually get paid to do this".

Oh yeah, I appreciate your candor.
Link Posted: 12/2/2014 10:23:25 PM EDT
[#42]
OP...dude.
Link Posted: 12/2/2014 10:27:48 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I'll haze myself later.
I blame my young self wanting to go to Japan and not knowing non-deployable units existed

For real.

College was an option before joining. Check it out, fucking anyone can go to college these days. Anyone. Anyone. Anyone. College isn't special, this isn't the 40's. Can you say the same for joining the military? Does the military take anyone? The latest demographics report (2012) has less than 5,000 people in the DoD as "not having a high school diploma or GED". To dispel that large myth that it is for the uneducated. Its a good read, google military demographics report. 212 pages of raw and interesting data.

So while my friends were taking student loans and having a good time going to school, I was getting paid and having a good time. Now I'll be getting paid to go to school and have a good time. I don't need anyones appreciation, I don't need anyone thanking me for my service.  
Link Posted: 12/2/2014 10:29:35 PM EDT
[#44]
I think OP has his head shoved so far up his own asshole that he is no unable to respond to his thread.
Surely there must be something highly important keeping him from posting, after all he is a big, mean, fast, smart mother fucker, and he is definitely not a pussy.
Link Posted: 12/2/2014 10:30:36 PM EDT
[#45]

Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

I'll haze myself later.

I never used mine.

Link Posted: 12/2/2014 10:33:09 PM EDT
[#46]
There is a lot of insecure boys on this thread. There are no excuses needed. Just say to your self that you are just as good as anyone and keep saying it. You say it enought it must be true and you can hug mommy and she will tell you the same.

Good luck OP with all your insecurities and failures in life. Hopefully you therapist can get you through it. Boy....
Link Posted: 12/2/2014 10:33:44 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
I never used mine.  
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I'll haze myself later.

I never used mine.  

Dude you missed out
Link Posted: 12/2/2014 10:43:25 PM EDT
[#48]
Will OP ever return?
Link Posted: 12/2/2014 10:46:00 PM EDT
[#49]
Best Job I ever had....
Link Posted: 12/2/2014 10:55:37 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I'll haze myself later.

I used it for 2 terms then decided it wasn't for me.  Dealing with progressives and assholes who think they're better than I am really wasn't my Idea of a good education.

Though some of my best papers came about when I was shitfaced drunk.
Page / 7
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top