Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/7/2003 11:06:43 PM EDT
In case anyone missed it, MOH winner Marine Joe Foss died yesterday. He was also prez of the NRA for a time.

Mr. Foss was also in the news a month or so ago after those brillant airport screeners would not allow him to board a plane while carrying his MOH. The ignorant bastards thought it could be used as a weapon.

He was also the AFL (look it up, you kids!) commissioner.

Another beer raised to the passing of a damn fine Marine & American. Semper Fi!
Link Posted: 1/7/2003 11:29:03 PM EDT
[#1]
My respects to a passed air-warrior.
Link Posted: 1/7/2003 11:32:37 PM EDT
[#2]
Joe Foss was a true American.  Time had a snooty obit in this week's mag (i don't subscribe).  

A Marine, a governor, president of the NRA.  

Sounds like he had a full and happy life.  Too bad there aren't more like him around.
Link Posted: 1/8/2003 1:39:16 AM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 1/8/2003 1:44:46 AM EDT
[#4]
Joe Foss Field Airport
Sioux Falls, South Dakota, USA

[USA]
[red]Semper Fi[/red]
Link Posted: 1/8/2003 1:54:56 AM EDT
[#5]
No doubt, him and Chesty are kickin back a few at the big E-Club in the sky. I'll join you gents someday, but my time hasnt come yet...
Link Posted: 1/8/2003 1:57:41 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
MOH winner
View Quote

Sorry, this is a pet peeve of mine- It should be MOH [b]recipient[/b]. Its not a contest.
Link Posted: 1/8/2003 2:04:16 AM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 1/8/2003 5:10:59 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
In case anyone missed it, MOH winner Marine Joe Foss died yesterday. He was also prez of the NRA for a time.

Mr. Foss was also in the news a month or so ago after those brillant airport screeners would not allow him to board a plane while carrying his MOH. The ignorant bastards thought it could be used as a weapon.

He was also the AFL (look it up, you kids!) commissioner.

Another beer raised to the passing of a damn fine Marine & American. Semper Fi!
View Quote

Actually, he died on January 1st.  He had been in a coma from a stroke for several weeks.  A great American who I had the pleasure to meet at the GCA convention in Reno in Aug 01.
Link Posted: 1/8/2003 8:02:49 AM EDT
[#9]
[usa]
Link Posted: 1/8/2003 8:48:42 AM EDT
[#10]
Joe Foss, American hero.  RIP
Link Posted: 1/8/2003 10:05:45 AM EDT
[#11]
I had the pleasure of meeting Joe Foss at the NRA National Convention in Kansas City a few years back.  If you look in the dictionary for the word gentleman, Joe's picture is there with the definition.  He was signing autographs and posing for pictures with everyone who asked, took the time to ask their name and converse with each one.  I shook his hand and thanked him for being such a great role model to follow, and I asked him if I could get my picture take with him and of course he said it would be HIS pleasure.  I told him that I had been an aircraft mechanic for a while in the Corps, and he smiled and told the story of shooting down the Japanese planes at Guadalcanal.  The best part was when he talked about a conversation he had with General Geiger shortly after he received the Medal of Honor.  The General called Joe into his office and said, "Captain, when it comes right down to it, you are still nothing more then a dirt farmer from South Dakota.  Don't let that medal go to your head."  Joe then turned to the long line of folks waiting in line and said, "And darn it if General Geiger wasn't right!".  Joe Foss didn't need the MoH to be a bigger then life hero.  The man was a class act, and the world is a bit more empty and colder with his passing.

Rest in Peace Flying Leatherneck.
Link Posted: 1/8/2003 10:15:54 AM EDT
[#12]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top