Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 3/5/2002 3:39:24 PM EDT
We caught several hundred of them with RPGs (rocket-propelled grenades) and mortars heading toward the fight. We body slammed them today and killed hundreds of those guys," said Maj. Gen. Frank L. Hagenbeck, the commander of the operation near Gardez, 75 miles south of Kabul, the capital.
View Quote

Taken from here: [url]http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=story&cid=514&u=/ap/20020305/ap_on_re_as/afghan_fighting[/url]
Link Posted: 3/5/2002 3:48:07 PM EDT
[#1]
Outstanding, buy em a case a beer for that one!
Link Posted: 3/5/2002 3:52:24 PM EDT
[#2]
I hope we kill a hundred for every man we lost.  It's the Chicago way...(that's for you "Untouchables" fans.)
Link Posted: 3/5/2002 4:14:21 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 3/5/2002 4:21:22 PM EDT
[#4]
KILL THEM ALL! EVERY ONE OF THEM!
Link Posted: 3/5/2002 4:22:36 PM EDT
[#5]
There are 3 other US Rifle BN's lined up at Bagram field waiting to be called in, from both the 101st and 10th Mountain.
[url]http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=story&cid=578&u=/nm/20020305/ts_nm/attack_afghan_dc_69[/url]

Also there is a Canadian unit of unknown size waiting to go in at Bagram with the US troops.
Members of a Canadian unit are on standby at the coalition base in Kandahar, ready if they're needed said Maj. Jamie Robertson at Central Command in Tampa, Florida.
View Quote
from: [url]http://www.cbc.ca/stories/2002/03/05/afghanistan020305[/url]
Perhaps the rest of the PPCLI? Anyone know for sure where they are?

Anyhow they are quite prepared for this to get much bigger.

Link Posted: 3/5/2002 4:28:33 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 3/5/2002 4:42:07 PM EDT
[#7]
My favorite quote, from this doomed individual:
Maulvi Saif-ur-Rehman Mansoor, a commander of the al Qaeda and Taliban forces, vowed to fight to the death.

"We prefer death than living a shameful life," he was quoted as saying by the private Afghan Islamic Press (AIP). "The fight against America for the supremacy of Islam and the defense of our country will continue until our last breath."
View Quote

This guy has watched Gladiator too many times.

"for the supremacy of Islam"- another Islamic Supremacist. This one definently needs to be buried in pork.

Link Posted: 3/5/2002 4:50:25 PM EDT
[#8]
[img]http://us.news1.yimg.com/us.yimg.com/p/rids/20020306/i/1015375562.2416410657.jpg[/img]
Army Times Photo via Reuters. Men of B/1/187th landing on hilltop near Sirkankel, Afganistan. Sometime in the last 3 days.
Link Posted: 3/5/2002 5:00:37 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
I hope we kill a hundred for every man we lost.  It's the Chicago way...(that's for you "Untouchables" fans.)
View Quote

Yea, bring back the Thompson submachine gun!
Link Posted: 3/5/2002 5:02:32 PM EDT
[#10]
Army Times Photo via Reuters. Men of B/1/187th landing on hilltop near Sirkankel, Afganistan. Sometime in the last 3 days.
View Quote

RAKKASANS!!!
Link Posted: 3/5/2002 5:17:47 PM EDT
[#11]
[img]http://us.news2.yimg.com/us.yimg.com/p/ap/20020305/capt.1015343500.afghanistan_us_fighting_axlp105.jpg[/img]

High speed low drag types from ? at Gardoz airstrip.
Link Posted: 3/5/2002 5:19:45 PM EDT
[#12]
The last time I did the math, it was approximately 50,000 enemy lives for each American killed in Action regardless of the enemy. So let me see.

WWI
WWII
Korea
Vietnam
Grenada
Desert Storm
Trade Center and Pentagon and Airplanes.
And Now Afghanistan.

That is probably around 1.5Million Men, So at 50,000 that is 75,000,000,000 , yes that is right 75 Billion lives that our enemies owe us.

And if we run out of enemy before we run out of payback, it just rolls over to the next war.  I havn't checked hell recently to see how many of our enemy are there from previous wars. So well we will just have to start over at 75,000,000,000 more.  

And if wanna get right down to it.  One American life is priceless; worth more then entire population of the particular country of the particular person that took it.

Benjamin

Link Posted: 3/5/2002 5:24:39 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
I want to see pictures of the dead.
There's not enough exposure like
desert storm. I know we won't
get to see much, but damn it I wanna
see some of there blood.
[frag]
View Quote

Be careful what you wish for kid...

[center][img]http://us.news1.yimg.com/us.yimg.com/p/rids/20020306/i/1015379860.2886107177.jpg[/img]
Chaplain Capt. Mike Shellman, of the 2nd Battalion, 187th Infantry Regiment, 101st Airborne Division (Air Assault) helps comfort a soldier who was hit with shrapnel from an RPG in Sirkankel on March 3, 2002. U.S.-led troops on March 5 pressed a fierce mountain assault on entrenched al Qaeda and Taliban forces in Afghanistan, killing 'a lot of people' and weakening enemy resistance, a senior military official said. Photo by Warren Zinn/Army Times/Reuters [/center]
Link Posted: 3/5/2002 5:29:54 PM EDT
[#14]
Post from Benjamin0001 -
And if wanna get right down to it. One American life is priceless; worth more then entire population of the particular country of the particular person that took it.
View Quote

You got that right, Brother!

And we should do anything, I mean just about anything, to insure that the American's life is preserved and protected.

If it means dropping a 'daisy cutter' on every proposed landing zone in the theatre, then so be it!

Whatever it takes.

Eric The(Enraged)Hun[>]:)]
Link Posted: 3/5/2002 5:47:33 PM EDT
[#15]
Memo to Maj. Gen. Frank L. Hagenbeck:

OUTSTANDING! Keep up the great work!

Have a nice day.[heavy][uzi]
Link Posted: 3/5/2002 5:49:43 PM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 3/5/2002 6:01:13 PM EDT
[#17]
That's what I call an appropriate use of taxpayers money.
Go git em guys.
Link Posted: 3/5/2002 6:46:57 PM EDT
[#18]
Aaak! Odobo you forgot the captions! I think those are mostly of the 1/187th but it would be nice if they got credit! Someone here might know some of these people, or be from these units.

[center]See, this one is of the 2/187th
[img]http://us.news2.yimg.com/us.yimg.com/p/nm/20020305/mdf145356.jpg[/img]
First Sgt. Johnathan Blosssom, of the 2nd Battalion, 187st Infantry Regiment, 101st Airborne Division (Air Assault) runs for cover during a firefight near Sirkankel. The position was being attacked by mortar fire, rocket-propelled grenades and heavy machinegun fire. A fierce mountain battle raged with U.S.-led ground forces saying they killed hundreds of al Qaeda and Taliban in eastern Afghanistan. (Warren Zinn/Army Times via Reuters) [/center]
Note the RIS equipped M4 with foreward handgrip and the Magpull on the mag.

[center][img]http://us.news1.yimg.com/us.yimg.com/p/rids/20020306/i/1015374954.2684452929.jpg[/img]
Soldiers from Alpha Company of the 2nd Battalion, 187th Infantry Regiment, 101st Airborne Division (Air Assault) launch an 81mm Mortar on an enemy position March 5, 2002 in Sirkankel, Afghanistan. U.S.-led troops on Tuesday pressed a fierce mountain assault on entrenched al Qaeda and Taliban forces in Afghanistan, killing "a lot of people" and weakening enemy resistance, a senior military official said. REUTERS/POOL/Warren Zinn/Army Times [/center]
[center][img]http://us.news1.yimg.com/us.yimg.com/p/rids/20020306/i/1015375098.2550980657.jpg[/img]
Sgt. Stephen Waldon from Alpha Company of the 2nd Battalion, 187th Infantry Regiment, 101st Airborne Division (Air Assault) watches as US bombs drop on a ridge near Sirkkankel on March 4, 2002.REUTERS/POOL/Warren Zinn/Army Times[/center]
[center][img]http://us.news1.yimg.com/us.yimg.com/p/rids/20020306/i/1015379731.2215092258.jpg[/img]Pvt. Brandon T. Ross, from Alpha Company of the 2nd Battalion, 187th Infantry Regiment, 101st Airborne Division (Air Assault) watches the ridge line of Sirkankel, March 4, 2002 Photo by Warren Zinn/Army Times/Reuters[/center]
Link Posted: 3/5/2002 7:03:03 PM EDT
[#19]
Yikes... those night vision mounting brackets on the helmets contrast too much with the desert camo helmet covers.  I'd hate to be running around Afghanistan with an aiming point like that on my forehead.
Link Posted: 3/5/2002 7:16:14 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Yikes... those night vision mounting brackets on the helmets contrast too much with the desert camo helmet covers.  I'd hate to be running around Afghanistan with an aiming point like that on my forehead.
View Quote

And the green jungle pattern Interceptor vests don't stand out even more?
Link Posted: 3/5/2002 7:20:26 PM EDT
[#21]
Kill Um All And Let God Sortum Out.
Link Posted: 3/5/2002 7:26:50 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Quoted:
View Quote

View Quote

The vest isn't the first thing exposed as you move out of defilade.  [(:)]
Link Posted: 3/5/2002 7:31:35 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
View Quote

View Quote

The vest isn't the first thing exposed as you move out of defilade.  [(:)]
View Quote

Point taken.. they do kind of, uh, SHINE dont they...
Link Posted: 3/5/2002 7:43:30 PM EDT
[#24]
Hey, there are still Marines in the neighborhood too:
[img]http://us.news2.yimg.com/us.yimg.com/p/nm/20020305/mdf145091.jpg[/img]
AH-1W in the hills above Gardoz.

Another, taken late afternoon local on the 5th:
[img]http://us.news1.yimg.com/us.yimg.com/p/rids/20020305/i/1015345424.4026654773.jpg[/img]
Cant make out any squadron markings...
This article: [url]http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=story&u=/ap/20020306/ap_on_re_as/afghan_us_military_863[/url] states that the Marine Cobras are the detachment from the [i]Bonhomme Richard[/i] and they were called in, along with two Super Stallions just to provide fire support for Anaconda. They are the only Marine units involved at the present.

[img]http://us.news2.yimg.com/us.yimg.com/p/ap/20020307/capt.1015462885.afghanistan_military_ny192.jpg[/img]In this handout photo from the U.S. Navy made available Wednesday, March 6, 2002, flight deck director, Aviation Boatswains Mate 3rd Class Thomas Sanchez from Fontana, Calif., watches an AH-1W Super Cobra helicopter from the "Scarfaces" of Helicopter Attack Light Squadron One Six Nine (HMLA-169) depart the flight deck of the USS Bonhomme Richard as it sets out to support U.S. Army troops in Afghanistan, Monday, March 4, 2002. Bonhomme Richard is forward deployed conducting missions in support of Operation Enduring Freedom and Operation Anaconda. (AP Photo/U.S. Navy, Johansen E. Laurel)
Link Posted: 3/5/2002 7:44:16 PM EDT
[#25]
    That's not the commercial Magpull but the  standard 550 cord and hundred mile an hour tape magazine trick that everyone does. As for the headmount,it looks like the First Sergeant has made his semi-permanent by screwing it to the K-pot. If you use the strap over the top method it can be taken on and off pretty quickly as needed. But at any kind of distance it's just gonna blend into the background,shouldn't be too much of a liability.
Link Posted: 3/5/2002 7:51:01 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
Kill Um All And Let God Sortum Out.
View Quote

Hmmmmm, that gives me an idea....how about we blast Metallica music into the mountains and drive the camel f*ckers insane, WHILE throwing daisy cutters on them?
Link Posted: 3/5/2002 7:55:27 PM EDT
[#27]
Better shot of the HS/LD types and their John Deer ParaGators at Gardoz:
[img]http://us.news2.yimg.com/us.yimg.com/p/ap/20020305/capt.1015330423.afghanistan_us_fighting_axlp109.jpg[/img]

Note the gentleman in blue sweatshirt and baseball cap at far left. CIA do you suppose?

I [i]think[/i] thats a RCL pointing at the camera on the fender of the left Gator. Cant tell if its a Carl Gustaf or one of our old 90mms. Anyone?
Link Posted: 3/5/2002 8:12:04 PM EDT
[#28]
Still from US Army video taken on March 2. Day 1 of Anaconda.
[img]http://us.news2.yimg.com/us.yimg.com/p/ap/20020306/capt.1015378179.afghanistan_fighting_bnc103.jpg[/img]
Unidentifed US RATLO taking cover from enemy machinegun and RPG fire shortly after landing.

Fox 10 News here in Phoenix played about 30 sec of the film this was taken from tonight. I am serching for the rest of this film on the internet. If anyone else finds it first please post the link.

FoxNews.com has another screenshot from this on their latest update on Afghanistan. But I can't find a MPEG of it on any news website![pissed]
Link Posted: 3/5/2002 9:02:29 PM EDT
[#29]
Reuters is reporting that one or more of the US reserve battalions waiting at Bagram airbase has been comitted to action.
[url]http://www.reuters.com/news_article.jhtml;jsessionid=QEA0KJWI0UHMGCRBAELCFEYKEEARKIWD?type=topnews&StoryID=666728[/url]
Link Posted: 3/5/2002 9:18:31 PM EDT
[#30]
Looks like this is might be their last stand.

Lets hope so.

Benjamin
Link Posted: 3/5/2002 10:30:10 PM EDT
[#31]
U.S. Says Half of Taliban, Al Qaeda Fighters Killed
Wed Mar 6, 2:18 AM ET

BAGRAM AIR BASE, Afghanistan (Reuters) - U.S.-led forces have killed half the Taliban and al Qaeda fighters holed up in caves in eastern Afghanistan (news - web sites) in attacks on their positions that began last week, a U.S. military official said Wednesday.

"We've killed up to 500 or more," said Lieutenant-Colonel Walter Piatt. "Initially, we thought it was only about a couple of hundred but now we think it's about half (of the total enemy force)."

But Piatt said it was unclear whether the Taliban and al Qaeda fighters had been able to reinforce their positions since the intense fighting began.

"We're watching that very closely. The signs we're looking for are reinforcing. These mountain ranges are very high... right now it's hard to tell."
Link Posted: 3/6/2002 1:52:54 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
i'd hate to be hunted down by the 10th Mountain and 101st ABN.  the enemy is toast.
View Quote

There's more truth to this than most people know.

Spec ops has gotten most of the press on this one, probably because the media thinks it's sexy. The unsung heros are those young infantry soldiers who will sit it out until the killing time starts.

Once it starts you don't want to be to thier front. There's an old poster that was banned in the Ranger Bn's back in the late '70s. It went something like: "We're not the Killing man, we're the Killing man's son. We'll do the killing until the killing man comes."

Well those Taliban Sons of Bitches are meeting the killing man.  
Link Posted: 3/6/2002 5:07:11 AM EDT
[#33]
My son is going into the 101st a the end of this month.

I'm watching this thread with "unusual interest."

Where are you guys finding the pics?
Link Posted: 3/6/2002 5:15:33 AM EDT
[#34]
NOTE TO ISLAM:

You are about to see something, You have not seen in about 700 years.

The new Crusaders are not wearing the Cross of St. John and carrying swords. They are wearing three color desert and carrying M4's.

Lest you men of Islam, think, that you are the only faith on earth, capable of Jihad, I would point out, The video clips, this morning of young american soldiers, singing Amazing Grace, just before boarding the helicopters, to take them, into the Battle of Gardez.

Your willingness to shoot prisoners and kill civilians, shows that you are truely 12th century men, and we will treat you as such.

The Crusaders are now on the field of battle. The west has awakened to the threat that you pose.

Think back to the 12th century.

Be afraid, oh men, of Islam, Be very,  afraid.

Link Posted: 3/6/2002 5:29:08 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
NOTE TO ISLAM:

You are about to see something, You have not seen in about 700 years.

The new Crusaders are not wearing the Cross of St. John and carrying swords. They are wearing three color desert and carrying M4's.

Lest you men of Islam, think, that you are the only faith on earth, capable of Jihad, I would point out, The video clips, this morning of young american soldiers, singing Amazing Grace, just before boarding the helicopters, to take them, into the Battle of Gardez.

Your willingness to shoot prisoners and kill civilians, shows that you are truely 12th century men, and we will treat you as such.

The Crusaders are now on the field of battle. The west has awakened to the threat that you pose.

Think back to the 12th century.

Be afraid, oh men, of Islam, Be very,  afraid.

View Quote

That's a fantastic post!
Someone pass me the bacon!
Link Posted: 3/6/2002 5:30:57 AM EDT
[#36]
Since the crusaders were ultimately defeated by the muslims, I don't know if that analogy is going to scare them much.
Link Posted: 3/6/2002 5:38:57 AM EDT
[#37]
Post from renamed -
Since the crusaders were ultimately defeated by the muslims, I don't know if that analogy is going to scare them much.
View Quote

The Crusaders were defeated only when the European powers that sent them got busy with killing each other, rather than taking care of business in Jerusalem.

But don't think that the Crusades didn't have a devestating effect upon Islamdom - why do you think they're the ones stuck in the 13th Century and we're not?

Eric The(TimeToRewindTheirCalendars)Hun[>]:)]
Link Posted: 3/6/2002 5:59:59 AM EDT
[#38]
But don't think that the Crusades didn't have a devestating effect upon Islamdom - why do you think they're the ones stuck in the 13th Century and we're not?
View Quote

The Crusades hurt the Islamic world, but the real devastation was inflicted by the Mongols.  Baghdad was the leading center of Islamic culture before Hulegu laid waste to it (and the Abbasids) in 1258.

The final destruction of the Taliban is only a small moral defeat for the Muslims.  I think they understand that the US is going to try to attack the terrorist fringes of the Islamic world without waging war against the main body of "good" Muslims.
Link Posted: 3/6/2002 6:16:41 AM EDT
[#39]
If it was'nt for the Crusades, Islam would have been at the gates of Vienna, in much the same way as the Hun's. (No offense to Eric the AR15.com Hun)

Islam has always been Expansionist, Take a look at what they were trying to do in Italy and Spain, Hundreds of years ago.

Or, Take a look at their Designs on Chechnia and the southern former Republics, of the now dead, Soviet Union.

The Russian's were not in Chechnia, Because they are blood thirsty Bastards, The Russians have a historic memory of what Islamic Expansion is all about, that is only slightly less vivid than the lesson they learned in the Great Patriotic War.

Instead of preaching Carteresque human rights, We should have been helping the Russians kill as many of the Moslem's as possible, To send a message to the Mullah's in Terhan, That, Their dream, of a Islamic Super State, stretching from Tiblisi in Georgia, to The Horn Of Africa, and From Yugoslavia to The Western Marches of China. Would no more be allowed, in the 21st century, Anymore, than it would have been, in the 12th.
Link Posted: 3/6/2002 6:41:42 AM EDT
[#40]
Link Posted: 3/6/2002 10:11:35 AM EDT
[#41]
I am not happy about the news coverage.  The media outlets obviously have more footage than they are showing us, because some of the stills they post dont match the footage you can see.

The bastards are holding out on us. The DoD has cleared far more footage then they are showing us. And yet they still chop it all up into 30 second pieces instead of showing it to us intact.

On the other hand they zap live to watch caskets being unloaded... gee could it be they have a agenda? Nah...
Link Posted: 3/6/2002 10:50:15 AM EDT
[#42]
Don't Worry CBS, NBC, ABC, and CNN are just trying to save their democrat buddies asses in the next election.  It won't work but they try.

Benjamin
Link Posted: 3/6/2002 11:45:18 AM EDT
[#43]
I didn't notice until the second time the pictures were posted that you can see the mortar coming out of the tube.
Link Posted: 3/6/2002 12:29:30 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
My son is going into the 101st a the end of this month.
I'm watching this thread with "unusual interest."
View Quote

tell him for us to be careful, do his duty and come home safe.
Link Posted: 3/6/2002 4:21:21 PM EDT
[#45]
Quote of the Day.
``In the last 24 hours, we have killed lots, lots of al Qaeda and Taliban ... we've got confirmed kills in the hundreds,'' he said, adding: ``As long as they want to send them here, we'll kill them here. Should they go somewhere else, we'll go with our Afghan allies and coalition forces and kill them wherever they go.''- Gen. F.L. Buster Hagenbeck
View Quote

taken from: [url]http://dailynews.yahoo.com/h/nm/20020306/ts/attack_afghan_dc.html[/url]
Link Posted: 3/6/2002 5:01:02 PM EDT
[#46]
Ohh... a fiendish thingie...[devil]

[img]http://us.news2.yimg.com/us.yimg.com/p/ap/20020306/capt.1015429341.afghanistan_fighting_ny116.jpg[/img]
A completed BLU-118B thermobaric bomb stands ready for shipping at the Naval Surface Warfare Center Tuesday March 5,2002, in Indian Head, Md. Engineers at the center developed the thermobaric explosives, which were used for the first time against al-Qaida and Taliban forces March 2, 2002, during combat missions in support of Operation Anaconda in eastern Afghanistan. (AP Photo/ U.S. Navy , Karen Burrows.)
Link Posted: 3/6/2002 5:26:29 PM EDT
[#47]
I love The BLU-118B, It's good for foreign Dictators, to go to bed at night with the knowledge, That the United States, May at some point, decide to turn their leadership bunkers, Into Barbecue Pit's
Link Posted: 3/6/2002 5:26:57 PM EDT
[#48]
I just got a very bad tax bill for this year.  I wouldn't mind so much if I knew the $$$ was going to a thermobaric bomb or something.  Instead it's probably fueling Hillary's jet or something . . .
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top