Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/5/2005 5:39:13 PM EDT
It seems like when you need something important sent/delivered, USPS fails to do so in the fastest amount of time. When something you send isn't really important it gets there in like 1-2 days clear across the US (like your bills when you mail them early).

I sent a FFL to a dealer and it's been 4 shipping days and he hasn't gotten it yet. USPS's rate calc says 3 days for first class mail. UPS ground says 4 days, and I'll give it 5 days before I know something is wrong.

I just had another USPS Priority mail shipment problem, the guy mails it Saturday and it gets picked up. I receive it WEDNESDAY. Usually if you mail a Priority package on a Friday, the recepient can get it on Monday, that has been my experience using Priority Mail shipments on eBay and my other orders. Rarely does it actually take 3 days for me (unless you ship it out in the PM, which goes out in next mornings deliveries).

Anyone else experience unusual delays with USPS? So far I have had great experiences with UPS, Fedex, and Airborne over the past 15+ years (and I order quite a lot of stuff).
Link Posted: 8/5/2005 5:46:40 PM EDT
[#1]
My UPS experience went to hell this week and with your post I'm wondering if it isn't across the board.

Danny
Link Posted: 8/5/2005 5:49:56 PM EDT
[#2]
I'm guessing here, but a lot of people are taking vacations now and maybe a few noobies dropped the ball.

That and my local PD is only open twice a week at obscure hours to do the permit and registration. This gov't bureaucracy is a PITA and the BS is running the show. The other townships closed their PDs due to lack of funds, instead they get to go to the county sheriff, which is open 5 days a week, 8 hours a day, to provide permits and conduct registration - free of charge. So why does our town still keep this useless PD???? Geez louise...

lots of ranting here,
Link Posted: 8/5/2005 6:11:00 PM EDT
[#3]
It seems they are going through a lot of changes lately.
I spoke to my new USPS Mail-lady when she came to deliver a registered express package to my door.
She told me that they don't even try to deliver packages around here anymore.  Unless it's a registered express package and it will fit in your mailbox, all you get is the notice that the
package is at the post office waiting for you.
On a positive note the Post Office here now has a laison/screener that makes sure everyone in
line has everything they need to speed things up.  This keeps people from going back to fill out
forms or waiting to reach the counter to tape their package shut.  
This person also will go get your package in the back and get you out the door.

Otherwise they need to get their shit together.
Last month three bills I mailed out were late, I mailed them on the 5th and none of them reached
their destinations until the 26th.
Link Posted: 8/5/2005 6:18:19 PM EDT
[#4]
Ooops!

I forgot about my USPS experience this week...

My Daughter's Graduation pics came, envelope said "Photographs DO NOT FOLD or BEND".

Guess what? You guessed it, folded and bent.

Once in a lifetime pics farged up, have to get redone.

Danny
Link Posted: 8/5/2005 6:29:02 PM EDT
[#5]
My understanding is that priority mail is handled exactly like 1st class mail. You are paying a premium that doesn't make a difference in delivery time.
Link Posted: 8/5/2005 6:29:33 PM EDT
[#6]
My wife sent some pics to me while I was in Dallas TX a few years back, and she sent them USPS Prioirity Mail, it got there 10 days later! $HIT! I sent things first class and they get there in 3 days, maybe 4-5, but not 10 days, and to boot she paid a little more. I never use priority mail anymore, even thought the clerks says its faster.
Link Posted: 8/5/2005 6:32:43 PM EDT
[#7]
I ordered targets online with UPS ground service, waited one fay, and they were here the next! Couldn't believe it. Go with UPS instead of USPS when you can.
Link Posted: 8/5/2005 7:00:41 PM EDT
[#8]
UPS, Fedex, USPS, it doesn't matter. I have heard stories about all three. I prefer Fedex, myself, but I deal with them much more often than UPS. Fedex seems to carry about 3/4 of the material the DoD sends overseas. Most of what I get over here in Japan comes Fedex.
Link Posted: 8/5/2005 7:03:36 PM EDT
[#9]
Anyone got any stories about the new kid in town?

DHL

Danny
Link Posted: 8/5/2005 7:08:03 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
Ooops!

I forgot about my USPS experience this week...

My Daughter's Graduation pics came, envelope said "Photographs DO NOT FOLD or BEND".

Guess what? You guessed it, folded and bent.

Once in a lifetime pics farged up, have to get redone.

Danny

sounds like my book of guitar music I had delivered two weeks ago. the stupid sonavabitch took an envelope containing a book and CD, clearly marked "do not bend" and folded it in half hard enough to break the CD clean in two. rotten fucker.

if you get good customer service with any big company today it seems like it's just because you're lucky. complain and you get "we're sorry".

yeah fuck you USPS, UPS, and FEDEX.

Link Posted: 8/5/2005 7:09:10 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

DHL

Danny

their uniforms look like basketball uniforms, with red headbands.

Link Posted: 8/5/2005 7:18:47 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

DHL

Danny

They suck!

I've had some issues with USPS Priority mail and I also had isues with my mail carrier. She must not be happy with her job because for the last 3 days she has placed mail addressed to me in my neighbor's mail box across the street. My neighbor is a great guy and he puts the mail back in my mail box if I'm not home. He and I have called several times to the post office about it. I got fed up today and demanded to see the post master in person. I told him flat out I was sick of this and logged a complaint in writing. I got home an hour later with a message on my machine from some other guy stating they are aware of the problem and there wil be a different mail carrier on this route. Sounds good to me. I think US Mail as a whole is OK but like it was said, i wnat my friggin mail/packages on time. I can see around X-mas but for Christ sake it's SUMMER!
Link Posted: 8/6/2005 2:17:05 AM EDT
[#13]
Hopefully this first class piece of mail gets to the person after the 5th day. I've been itching to get this gun.
Link Posted: 8/6/2005 2:22:48 AM EDT
[#14]
i lvoe their advertising bs. They may be cheaper than comapny X, but company X guarantees delivery in so many days! Fedex, UPS.....guarantee with next day... etc..

Priority mean it'll get there when it gets there.

The only time i'd ever use priority is if you're sengin to an APO or FPO. Priority gets aircraft spots. Everything else goes Space-A.
Link Posted: 8/6/2005 5:36:06 AM EDT
[#15]
I think the USPS does a fine job for the amount of mail/packages they deliver daily.  Millions a day and letters at the cost of a whopping 37 cents.  Some things do get screwed up, but with the volume they do it's a small percentage.
Link Posted: 8/6/2005 5:51:59 AM EDT
[#16]
Well I got a horror story for ya.  I recently moved to a new job in DC, and they required that I show them a proof of citizenship and a passport.  So, since I don't have those things (they are in my parent's safe deposit box at the bank), I give my mother a call and she sends it certified with return receipt.  I was expecting it in 3-4 days.  By day 5, I get worried and get the tracking number to track it.  It shows that it was "undeliverable as addressed" even though the address on the package is correct.  To make matters worse, they didn't just hold it, they immediately sent it back, where it got lost (I presume) since it was July 22 when they sent it back.  I've been in constant contact with several of the people at the post office and they all know me by name now.  Apparently, the originating post office (Atlanta, GA) just received the package back on August 1, and sent it back here.  Its August 6 now, and I still don't have it.  On top of that, NO ONE at the post office even knows where it is!  Now, my question to them: why did it take nearly 2 weeks for it to get back to the originating facility, why is it taking 5+ days to get back here, and why do they not know where any of their packages is?  Contrast that with UPS, I had a package delivered Thursday, and the UPS tracking website shows "out for delivery" and after the UPS driver handed me the package, it gets updated to "delivered [email protected]".    

I don't think I'll be using USPS again for important packages.  
Link Posted: 8/6/2005 6:44:29 AM EDT
[#17]
The USPS has an outdated tracking system and is run by typical gov't bureaucracy (Bravo Sierra).
Link Posted: 8/6/2005 6:47:50 AM EDT
[#18]
I had a package shipped USPS to me from a town in Southern Minnesota about 120 miles from me and it took 3 weeks
Link Posted: 8/6/2005 6:52:25 AM EDT
[#19]
I sent a package a three hundred miles North of me last week and it took 5 days. Still wonder if they use pony express at times
Link Posted: 8/6/2005 6:57:35 AM EDT
[#20]
I once ordered a 30lb Modine Radiator that was shipped from Seattle, WA to Northeast NJ. It took 2 days via priority.

But sometimes First Class will take 2 weeks.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top