Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 5/1/2011 3:16:30 AM EDT
I'm looking at switching from shooting IDPA SSP to shooting USPSA Production, primarily due to scheduling reasons, and I have a few questions. So far I have not shot a USPSA match, though I have attended one formal practice

- Does the USPSA ever have you shoot from unusual props, such as cars or suspended platforms?
- Does the USPSA ever have "weak hand only" or "strong hand only" stages?
- How many magazines do I need?
–– Currently I have three "new" 10rd mags and one 14rd pre-94 magazine.
–– My only legal options for mags are to buy pre-94 15rd magazines or to buy new 10rd magazines. Any suggestions on which will be better?
- Based on my "el cheapo" inaccurate kitchen scale, my current gun is only within the weight limit by 0.8oz. Is there any sort of official scale used for gun weigh-ins?
Link Posted: 5/1/2011 3:27:49 AM EDT
[#1]
- Do I need to be a USPSA member to participate in a club match?
- How is it handled if a competitor needs to leave mid-match? The next local match in my area is Sunday, May 8, and there's about a 50% chance I'll get called into work sometime that day.
Link Posted: 5/1/2011 3:40:32 AM EDT
[#2]
everything pretty much depends on the club running the match. just go and shoot and see what's going on. don't take it to serious which is why stopping shooting it. to many forgetting that is was also about getting out on a nice day and shooting. the big area matches of coarse are more serious but by then you should be squared away by then.
Link Posted: 5/1/2011 4:47:52 AM EDT
[#3]
You'll probably be shooting Production division...10 rnd mags are fine, but you'll need at least four mags on your belt and one in the gun to start.
Yes, there is some weak and strong hand shooting. Not a lot of unusual props, unless you go to some bigger matches, or your local club has something special. You may see a Texas Star, swingers and poppers, or the dreaded Polish Plate Rack. You don't have to be a member(at least at our local clubs), but it's $25 to become an associate member, which will enable you to get classified. If you leave int eh middle of a match, they'll give you a DNF , but score you on the stages you shot. They won't be weighing your gun.
Link Posted: 5/1/2011 4:50:23 AM EDT
[#4]
We have shot from platforms and weak hand only/strong hand only.
I just started Production class this year so figuring out the details. I would think 6 mags would do. 1 in the gun and 5 on your belt. If you are shooting production you are using 10 rounds regardless so ban mags should work. I download mine.
I have never seen anyone use a scale at my local match.
Check out the "Training" section for more info. They have a USPSA/IDPA area.
Link Posted: 5/1/2011 5:03:02 AM EDT
[#5]
Thanks guys.

With the mags, I'm just trying to decide if I should buy pre-ban mags and underload them to 10, or if I should just buy 10rd magazines.

The preban mags are going to be older, so I'm a little worried about magazine-induced malfunctions. New 10rd mags shouldn't have malfunctions, but they'll be harder to do a tac reload with due to spring tention on a full magazine. Prices are virtually the same.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top