Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 12/19/2005 5:37:42 PM EDT
Amber chevron, mounted on an ARMS#15 with spacer.

Link Posted: 12/19/2005 5:39:07 PM EDT
[#1]
Nice!  
Link Posted: 12/19/2005 5:39:19 PM EDT
[#2]
how do you like it? I have considered one of those for my 9mm AR
Link Posted: 12/19/2005 5:45:54 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:

It is all personal preference, but myself and the vast majority of people I have spoken to don't like the Reflex.

It has a lot to do with the blue lens distorting anything dark colored and just generally being annoying as hell.

For the price, the EOTech is far superior.  YMMV
Link Posted: 12/19/2005 5:48:07 PM EDT
[#4]
What is that knob on the end of the reflex (towards the back)?
Link Posted: 12/19/2005 5:49:27 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

The tritium reticle does not seem quite as bright as an ACOG, but I haven't had a chance to take it out in the sunlight to see how the fiber improves it. Other than that, I like it, built pretty solid. I'll take it to the range this weekend and sight it in.

An ACOG would have been my first choice, but the $500 difference is going towards another project.

Link Posted: 12/19/2005 5:51:37 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

Going to guess to adjust brightness.
Link Posted: 12/19/2005 5:55:50 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

Quoted:

It is all personal preference, but myself and the vast majority of people I have spoken to don't like the Reflex.

It has a lot to do with the blue lens distorting anything dark colored and just generally being annoying as hell.

For the price, the EOTech is far superior.  YMMV

I wanted to stay away from buttons and batteries and go tritium. So, I thought I would give the Reflex a try. I will see how it does in the field, but if the trade-off is too great, I will keep the other options open.
Link Posted: 12/19/2005 5:59:08 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Going to guess to adjust brightness.

Actually it's for inserting very tiny cyalume lightsticks for added brightness.

www.trijicon.com/user/parts/products1.cfm?PartID=489&back_row=1&categoryID=8
Link Posted: 12/19/2005 5:59:54 PM EDT
[#9]
I have the older model of reflex and if using outside and there is nice light.  Its a nice since it won't use bateries.  However in a darker room, its not very bright.  Could possibly be the tridium going bad.
Link Posted: 12/19/2005 6:03:20 PM EDT
[#10]
I had one of the older ones before chevrons. I liked it a lot. I sold it on the rifle during the ban to a guy that really wanted it.
Link Posted: 12/19/2005 11:38:27 PM EDT
[#11]
Is your BUIS Zip tied down?
Link Posted: 12/19/2005 11:42:33 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

That's a spring-loaded lever that fits into a notch in the side of the upper part of the sight. To deploy the sight, all you do is pull the lever back, and the sight itself (which is also spring-loaded) flips up.
Link Posted: 12/19/2005 11:53:55 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

Quoted:

That's a spring-loaded lever that fits into a notch in the side of the upper part of the sight. To deploy the sight, all you do is pull the lever back, and the sight itself (which is also spring-loaded) flips up.

Ah I see . It looks like a zip tie in the pics .
Link Posted: 12/20/2005 12:13:15 AM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

5000+ posts and you've never seen an ARMS #40 BUIS?
Link Posted: 12/20/2005 12:57:51 AM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Not in person .
Link Posted: 12/20/2005 1:46:22 AM EDT
[#16]
I like the reflex but like everyone else who's had one, I found it's weakness.  Stand in a spot that is darker than where you're aiming, such as under a tree line or from inside your house.  Sight something in thats in a brighter area and you'll see that the dot washes out.  

I kept mine for a while but sold it off and bought an Aimpoint.  I've had it for over a year and battery is till good, plus if the dot starts to wash out I just turn up the intensity.
Link Posted: 12/20/2005 4:40:49 AM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:
I like the reflex but like everyone else who's had one, I found it's weakness.  Stand in a spot that is darker than where you're aiming, such as under a tree line or from inside your house.  Sight something in thats in a brighter area and you'll see that the dot washes out.  

I kept mine for a while but sold it off and bought an Aimpoint.  I've had it for over a year and battery is till good, plus if the dot starts to wash out I just turn up the intensity.

Same story here.
Traded the Reflex in on an Aimpoint after 4 years.
I used two of the #15S spacers to get the co-witness the way I liked it.
Link Posted: 12/20/2005 5:11:03 AM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

Yeah, that's a (small) problem with the Reflex, it just takes a little tiny bit longer than under ful light to aquire the reticle and pound away. I've got the 12.5moa triangle on a carry handle mount and the same chevron reticle unit as you mounted on a Carbon-15. The chevron is my preference, and I doubt you'll find a faster way to make accurate hits out to 300/400 yards than a Reflex. It's been my experience that I can shoot about as well as if I had a 4X scope for long range shooting but it's still lightning fast for shooting at social distances. The red dots I've tried were as fast but not as accurate, a tradeoff not quite made up by having a battery for me.

Interestingly, I swapped out the Reflex on my Carbon-15 and put a TA31F on it back in the summer. The ACOG just seems like too much scope and I'm not getting  better combat accuracy (bench accuracy gets better groups, but in the 1-200 yard range, the Reflex is faster and is plenty accurate enough to get center of mass hits.

Now I have a Reflex with no home!

Dave
Link Posted: 12/20/2005 8:14:06 AM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

I was thinking the same thing...I love mine.

Does the BUIS line up with the glass? Looks like that knob might get in the way.
Link Posted: 12/20/2005 8:43:55 AM EDT
[#20]
How about the Compact ACOG? Is that reticle easier to pick up more brightly lit than the Reflex?

I may trade up to on of those. The Reflex is just not doing it for me.
Link Posted: 12/20/2005 8:45:23 AM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:
How about the Compact ACOG? Is that reticle easier to pick up more brightly lit than the Reflex?

I may trade up to on of those. The Reflex is just not doing it for me.

That was quick, lol.

The compact ACOG is a huge step above the Reflex.  
Link Posted: 12/20/2005 2:38:04 PM EDT
[#22]
Well, I've tried it and made my decision. The Reflex is going back, the reticle is just not visible in varying lighting conditions, and the blue tint is pretty annoying. Just like many of you stated in the above posts.

I ordered a compact ACOG today. From what I've heard the visible difference is tremendous. I hope so, the price difference certainly was.

Anyway, I will find out Friday.

www.trijicon.com/user/parts/products1.cfm?PartID=176&back_row=0&categoryID=4
Link Posted: 12/20/2005 2:44:31 PM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:
Well, I've tried it and made my decision. The Reflex is going back, the reticle is just not visible in varying lighting conditions, and the blue tint is pretty annoying. Just like many of you stated in the above posts.

www.tallbill.com/ar15/albums/userpics/10005/normal_Reflex_1L.JPG

I ordered a compact ACOG today. From what I've heard the visible difference is tremendous. I hope so, the price difference certainly was.

Anyway, I will find out Friday.

www.trijicon.com/user/parts/products1.cfm?PartID=176&back_row=0&categoryID=4

I've used the ACOG and, it just can't be beat.
Link Posted: 12/20/2005 2:45:47 PM EDT
[#24]
I looked at a Reflex site and I wasn't impressed either.  I went with an EOtech.  If I had lots of money to spend I would go ACOG.
Link Posted: 12/20/2005 2:49:00 PM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:
I looked at a Reflex site and I wasn't impressed either.  I went with an EOtech.  If I had lots of money to spend I would go ACOG.

Same here.  The only thing I don't like about the EOtech is the battery life.

That's about it, though.
Link Posted: 12/20/2005 2:50:26 PM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:

Quoted:

That's about it, though.

Battery life hasn't been much of an issue with me.  I have enough to last several years.
Link Posted: 12/20/2005 2:50:36 PM EDT
[#27]
just curious why not a aimpoint or acog?
Link Posted: 12/20/2005 2:50:45 PM EDT
[#28]
Hey, I can save you a couple hundred bucks.  Buy the 12 dollar filter for the front.  Allows light in or out with just a twist.  Quick clue, it's a reflex sight.  You keep both eyes open, Shouldn't even see the blue if you know what you are doing.  The Compact ACOGs are great but there is a huge difference in price.  If I might ask, what are you going to use the rifle for?  The extra money for an ACOG could easily go towards a second gun.  Just my opinion.
Link Posted: 12/20/2005 3:02:53 PM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:
Hey, I can save you a couple hundred bucks.  Buy the 12 dollar filter for the front.  Allows light in or out with just a twist.  Quick clue, it's a reflex sight.  You keep both eyes open, Shouldn't even see the blue if you know what you are doing.  The Compact ACOGs are great but there is a huge difference in price.  If I might ask, what are you going to use the rifle for?  The extra money for an ACOG could easily go towards a second gun.  Just my opinion.

Maybe it's just MY eyesight, but with both eyes open I actually see a slight double image, one with a blue tint...one without. I do not have this problem with my CompML2-2X. Regardless, I've had the chance to handle a mounted  full-sized ACOG last week and that problem didn't come up, also the image quality was awesome. I hope the compacts are the same. As far as the price goes, well, I can handle it.

Edited for spelling.
Link Posted: 12/20/2005 10:06:30 PM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

That's about it, though.

Battery life hasn't been much of an issue with me.  I have enough to last several years.

The best thing to do is buy the Lithium AA batteries.  They last a hell of a lot longer than standard AA's.
Link Posted: 12/21/2005 12:50:24 AM EDT
[#31]
I agree. I use the filter on the blackout setting in all CQB distances. Although the sight is good out to 300 or so meters I have it for CQB distance. When I am shooting or negotiating a structure I see a very clearly defined amber triangle where ever I look. Some of my friends and co-workers see the double sight picture and they don't like it. All I know is with the exception of a precision scope I have always shot both eyes open, I know alot of people that tell me they do as well and when I watch them shoot live they are really closing thier non dominant eye. Then they argue they don't.

It's a tool if it works for you use it, if it don't find a new tool.

operator out....
Link Posted: 12/21/2005 1:16:40 AM EDT
[#32]
Good call.  You cant beat the ACOG, compact or fullsize.
Link Posted: 12/21/2005 1:59:03 AM EDT
[#33]
Just curious: Question about the EOTech: Can it be set to, or modified to, be 'always-on' ? That is, if it really does run for 1000 hours (41 days), Replacing the batteries once a month is relatively cheap, on a go-to gun.
Link Posted: 12/21/2005 4:24:45 AM EDT
[#34]
This is a timely thread of sorts ... I was also considering looking at one of these since I messed up my Cmore.

Thanks for all the comments and reviews.
Link Posted: 12/22/2005 8:26:51 AM EDT
[#35]

Quoted:
Just curious: Question about the EOTech: Can it be set to, or modified to, be 'always-on' ? That is, if it really does run for 1000 hours (41 days), Replacing the batteries once a month is relatively cheap, on a go-to gun.

It's way to easy to switch the sight on to worry about replacing batteries that often.

Link Posted: 12/22/2005 1:43:48 PM EDT
[#36]
Well, UPS just delivered my compact ACOG. A world of difference between this and the Reflex I returned. Unfortunately, I can't mount it because the factory medium-height rail mount is backordered for 2-3 weeks.

A question about the mount...I was surprised that ARMS does not make a mount for the "Special Ring" model. I checked with GG&G and it looks like they don't either. Does anyone have one mounted on the Trijicon medium height mount(MM08) and if so, does this mount allow the reticle to clear the front sight post?

Thanks!
Link Posted: 12/22/2005 7:01:17 PM EDT
[#37]
Link Posted: 12/23/2005 8:10:13 AM EDT
[#38]

Quoted:
For mounting a Compact ACOG on a flattop, you really, REALLY should use the LaRue mount.  It was designed with input from AR15.commers, and is easily the best flattop mount available for it.

The problems with the Reflex are well-known, and there has been a thread tacked in the OPTICS forum for SEVERAL YEARS discussing their limitations.

Nothing (yet) beats an ACOG.

-Troy

LaRue makes a mount for a compact ACOG with an M16 base, not one for the Special Ring model. Atleast if they do, it's not on the website.

Thanks.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top